HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes' Rats players up with the big club

Old
01-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
Hurricanes' Rats players up with the big club

I wanted to make some statements about our young guys and how they have been playing up here. so first, here are the stats so far...

Michael Leighton: 2GP, 1W-1L, 4GA, 2.03 GAA, 45SA-41SV, .903SV%, 118:09 MIN
Casey Borer: 6GP, 1g-2a-3pts, -1, 4PIMs, 4SOG, S% .25%, 7:21 PPT, 4:26 PKT, 15:26 ATOI
Keith Aucoin: 11GP, 2g-4a-6pts, +6, 0PIMs, 15 SOG, S% 13.3%, 19:23 PPT, 0:08 PKT, 9:04 ATOI
Brandon Nolan: 6GP, 0g-1a-1pt, -2, 0PIMs, 2SOG, S% 0%, :00 PPT, :00 PKT, 7:15 ATOI
Tim Conboy: 1GP, 0g-1a-1pt, EV, 5PIMs, 3SOG, S% 0%, 0:00 PPT, 0:04 PKT, 8:50 ATOI
Wade Brookbank: 6GP, 0g-0a-0pts, -1, 10 PIMs, :00 PPT, :00 PKT, 3:07 ATOI

we have had the following firsts this season:

First NHL goal: Keith Aucoin, Casey Borer
First NHL assist: Casey Borer, Brandon Nolan, Tim Conboy
First NHL fight: Tim Conboy
First NHL win as a Cane: Michael Leighton

it's been pretty good for our young guys so far.

Now, as far as their play is concerned:

Casey Borer: Easily the best call-up of the season. Borer has been that thing on defense the Canes have lacked, whatever you want to call "it". He has scored, he has played on the PP, he has taken shots. I really like this kid and I think he has earned a spot on this team for the rest of the season. If not the rest of this season, then for SURE next season. I'd give him an A

Keith Aucoin: Well, if Borer is the best call-up, Aucoin is the second-best. Aucoin has never really done much in the past when he has been called up, but recently, he has turned that around. 2 goals in his last 2 games to start. He has made some good rushes and is one of the fastest skaters out there. I was tired of him getting the call, but he has earned it lately. I'd give him an A

Leighton: The 2 games he played in he looked shaky to start, but turned it on late in the 1st in both to remain solid the rest of the game. Lots of good saves, very sound placement, and good puck control, but just gave up 3 soft goals of the 4, including 2 trickling 5-holers. But that is something easily fixed when working with Barasso. I think, all around, I would give him a B+

Tim Conboy: Wasn't able to SEE him last night, so not too sure how he looked, but sounded like he was ok. Glad to see him get a chance and an assist in his first game. With only 1 game, and since he got an assist, I'll give him a B

Brandon Nolan: This one is tough. His first two games were pretty good. But since then, he really hasn't done anything. I am sure he was brought up because Aucoin never did anything when called up and Nolan was doing VERY well in Albany, but since those first 2 games, he has just been silent. I'd give him a C+

Wade Brookbank: Not his first season in the NHL, but first as a Hurricane. He was brought up to be an enforcer and he did his job, keeping things in check even by just being on the bench, but the 2 fights he has been in were pretty awful. I'd give him a C-

Last edited by Anton Skinner: 01-13-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:58 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusiouxcanesguy View Post

Keith Aucoin: Well, if Borer is the best call-up, Aucoin is the second-best. Aucoin has never really done much in the past when he has been called up, but recently, he has turned that around. 2 goals in his last 2 games to start. He has made some good rushes and is one of the fastest skaters out there. I was tired of him getting the call, but he has earned it lately. I'd give him an A
I don't think its fair to say he hasn't done much in the past when he has been called up. This has been a rare chance for him to actually log some decent ice time. His last call ups he wasn't leaned on as much as he is being leaned on now with big players out. Before he was just a plug to have a warm body out there IMO.

I really like Aucoin and what he brings to the game every night - heart. I think that if he was given a real roster spot, not just a call up spot, he would continue to work his ass off out there.

01-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
I don't think its fair to say he hasn't done much in the past when he has been called up. This has been a rare chance for him to actually log some decent ice time. His last call ups he wasn't leaned on as much as he is being leaned on now with big players out. Before he was just a plug to have a warm body out there IMO.

I really like Aucoin and what he brings to the game every night - heart. I think that if he was given a real roster spot, not just a call up spot, he would continue to work his ass off out there.
well yeah and I was going to say that, but I guess forgot to put it in there. That is really the only reason he hasnt done much in the past. Now that he is being relied upon to really help, he is doing good things. And I am happy for him. But, only problem is, he is a UFA after this season, and if we are too deep to offer him an NHL roster spot, he may go test the market. We shall see what happens.

Old
01-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Canes4me

Quote:
Casey Borer: Easily the best call-up of the season. Borer has been that thing on defense the Canes have lacked, whatever you want to call "it". He has scored, he has played on the PP, he has taken shots. I really like this kid and I think he has earned a spot on this team for the rest of the season. If not the rest of this season, then for SURE next season. I'd give him an A+
I agree with everything you proposed except this one. I agree that Borer is rightfully earning his roster spot, but I believe I would have to grade him out at a B which is a good grade. He is playing a solid game, but has been out of position on several occasions as well as seems tentative at times. I believe Aucoin is our best call up and this coming from a Bayda fan.

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Canes4me

Aucoin, Nolan, Conboy sent down

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Shows you what I know, Aucoin, Nolan, and Conboy sent down per Luke:

With three days between games, the Hurricanes sent flu-bug reinforcements Keith Aucoin, Tim Conboy and Brandon Nolan back to Albany (AHL) today, activating Glen Wesley from injured reserve as well, where they had stashed the sick defenseman to open up a roster spot.

Aucoin scored goals in each of the past two games, so it wouldn't be surprising if he re-joined the team in Toronto on Tuesday. But this saves the Canes some money and in theory the three should be available for Albany's game this afternoon

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
I agree with everything you proposed except this one. I agree that Borer is rightfully earning his roster spot, but I believe I would have to grade him out at a B which is a good grade. He is playing a solid game, but has been out of position on several occasions as well as seems tentative at times. I believe Aucoin is our best call up and this coming from a Bayda fan.
yeah I hesitated with the A+, but I would say more like A- than as far down as a B. but thats just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Shows you what I know, Aucoin, Nolan, and Conboy sent down per Luke:
yeah, but Aucoin will be back up most likely. which is good.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
neal12780

Send a message via AIM to neal12780
[QUOTE=ecusiouxcanesguy;12019071]I wanted to make some statements about our young guys and how they have been playing up here. so first, here are the stats so far...

First NHL win: Michael Leighton

I am pretty sure that he has won before in the NHL, probably with Chicago. I have seen him play in Norfolk years ago, and he was very good.

neal12780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
You don't send a guy down just for the weekend to save some money then call him up the following tuesday. That's incredibly cheap, something you'd do in a video game but not real life. Them sending down Aucoin and Nolan must mean Whitney and Brookbank have recovered from the flu.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Cardiac_Canes

[QUOTE=neal12780;12020475]
Quote:
I wanted to make some statements about our young guys and how they have been playing up here. so first, here are the stats so far...

First NHL win: Michael Leighton

I am pretty sure that he has won before in the NHL, probably with Chicago. I have seen him play in Norfolk years ago, and he was very good.
Ya, he has won 1 game with us, 2 with Philadelphia and 8 with Chicago.

Also, these guys might be coming up from Albany but with the exception of Borer they're not young and they're not prospects. Leighton has bounced around and not got much of a real shot to stick with any one team, Aucoin seems destined to be a lifer in the ahl through no fault of his own, Nolan is now with his third nhl team and just made his debut this year, and Conboy was drafted by the sharks and has some really shady stuff going on in his past like being kicked off the St. Cloud State hockey team.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
You don't send a guy down just for the weekend to save some money then call him up the following tuesday. That's incredibly cheap, something you'd do in a video game but not real life. Them sending down Aucoin and Nolan must mean Whitney and Brookbank have recovered from the flu.
IMO... Brookbank is useless while Aucoin is serviceable.

I thought he could do well given a chance and he's definately proving me right.

He's doing what Hamilton isn't.

I think he's going to get a chance somewhere else as a UFA.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal12780 View Post
ah i forgot about that. oh well....ill go back and change it.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Well, but if it means he gets to keep playing, like he does get to tonight, then sure, why NOT send him down. Whitney may be back, but why play Brookbank over Aucoin? esp with the way Aucoin has been playing lately.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
IMO... Brookbank is useless while Aucoin is serviceable.

I thought he could do well given a chance and he's definately proving me right.

He's doing what Hamilton isn't.

I think he's going to get a chance somewhere else as a UFA.
Brookbank is useless as a hockey player but apparently the team sees him as a deterrent:

Quote:
And when Thornton elbowed Trevor Letowski later in the game, Brookbank stood up on the bench, evincing menace.
Not sure who he's supposed to be scaring, he has looked pretty sad in both his fights thus far. I wouldn't mind dressing a real enforcer, but he's useless as that and has no skill either. I'd rather have Aucoin play but in a 4th line role he's being wasted. However, if they want to dress an enforcer, get a real one. Too bad Gillies has a broken hand Missed a good oppurtunity.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Well, but if it means he gets to keep playing, like he does get to tonight, then sure, why NOT send him down. Whitney may be back, but why play Brookbank over Aucoin? esp with the way Aucoin has been playing lately.
Because it's a 4th line role where Aucoin has been useless in the past?

Or because Brookbank has a little bit of value as an enforcer? Aucoin will not do anything from the 4th line but Brookbank can still scare a few people and pretend to fight.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Ya, he has won 1 game with us, 2 with Philadelphia and 8 with Chicago.

Also, these guys might be coming up from Albany but with the exception of Borer they're not young and they're not prospects. Leighton has bounced around and not got much of a real shot to stick with any one team, Aucoin seems destined to be a lifer in the ahl through no fault of his own, Nolan is now with his third nhl team and just made his debut this year, and Conboy was drafted by the sharks and has some really shady stuff going on in his past like being kicked off the St. Cloud State hockey team.
ah thanks for the win stats.

Well, I guess by "young" i meant younger than normal and up from the Rats. I think Leighton will get a very god chance with us to become a backup, or another Ward. Aucoin may be destined to be a lifer in the AHL, but if he continues to play like he has the last few games and he decides to to resign here, he will get a chance on another team, most likely in the WC. Nolan HAS done some bouncing around but he has had his chance this year, and again, has been so-so. Not sure how long his contract with us lasts. And Conboy, yeah, he has had a muddled past, but if he is playing much better, which is pretty obvious if HE got the call-up, then maybe he has put all of that crap behind him.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Brookbank may play an enforcer role, but he hasnt been present whatsoever. and when he has, he sucked it up big time. Aucoin has been good on the 3rd line, so put him there. move someone else down to the 4th.

Old
01-13-2008, 03:54 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Brookbank may play an enforcer role, but he hasnt been present whatsoever. and when he has, he sucked it up big time. Aucoin has been good on the 3rd line, so put him there. move someone else down to the 4th.
You realize that our 3rd line potentially could be Whitney/Ladd-Cullen-Walker as soon as next week.

Who of those guys do you suggest to move to 4th line in favor of Aucoin? Please do tell.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
You realize that our 3rd line potentially could be Whitney/Ladd-Cullen-Walker as soon as next week.

Who of those guys do you suggest to move to 4th line in favor of Aucoin? Please do tell.
Yup, that's the problem. Brookbank on the 4th line is better than Aucoin on the 4th line.

Old
01-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:

well I'd go with lines as follows

Cole-Brindy-Sammy
Whit-Staal-Stiller
Ladd-Cullen-Walker
Larose-Aucoin-Letowski

I dont think Walker will be back next week, but if he is, that's how I'd do it. And since Letowski has experience on the wing, I put him out there. But this is ONLY if Aucoin continues to produce. if not, well then, yeah put Brookie out there.

but, maybe this is why i am not a GM....

Old
01-13-2008, 04:09 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:

but, maybe this is why i am not a Head Couch..

Fixed that for ya. GM cares less who's dressed up for the game.

Old
01-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
lol nice spelling lol.....and yeah you are right.....nonetheless....what lines would you roll?

Old
01-13-2008, 04:15 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Head couch or head coach? lol

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Top three lines pretty much what you said.

I wouldn't keep Aucoin on 4th line for his own sake.
He gets top minutes in AHL, best player in the team, scores goals and has a chance to sign better contract with another NHL team next year, while warming bench on 4th line and playing 2-5 minutes a game here just doesn't serve any purpose.

Brooks is better on 4th.

Old
01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
Head couch or head coach? lol
You read it right.

Old
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Top three lines pretty much what you said.

I wouldn't keep Aucoin on 4th line for his own sake.
He gets top minutes in AHL, best player in the team, scores goals and has a chance to sign better contract with another NHL team next year, while warming bench on 4th line and playing 2-5 minutes a game here just doesn't serve any purpose.

Brooks is better on 4th.
I see your point there. and I will agree with it. and I do believe another team will offer him a good contract that he will sign and he will be gone, BUT he will be playing in the NHL. that is what I see. unless something drastic happens with this team and he somehow has a VERY good chance of playing up with the big club for all of next season, i.e. if we trade away some forwards (Adams, Hamilton, Ladd....) to get some real good d-men, we may need him up with us. many possibilities, and I guess we shall see.