HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

A Brett Connolly discussion...without the injuries

Old
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
CaptainScrewy

vCash: 500
A Brett Connolly discussion...without the injuries

It seems to me that every discussion about Connolly goes the same with: Well without the injuries he could be special. I realize that it's a huge factor involving him, but I just want to know what kind of player he was pre-injury. Anyone ever seen him? Strength as a player? Weaknesses?

Would love to discuss Brett Connolly without the I word.

CaptainScrewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Qubax

You joined HFboards over 7 years ago and have a total of 25 posts.

You average 3.57 posts a year.

Amazing that we even stumbled across you.

Umm, as for Connolly, he has some elite level offensive potential.

Some have compared him to Dany Heatley, others to a Rick Nash type of player.

He has the potential to be the 3rd best forward in the draft...maybe even better then Hall or Seguin if things fall right...

There are a lot of safer picks though, Johansen, Skinner, Etem, Neideritter(sp?) etc

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Its impossible to talk about him without bringing up the injury. Its just too big of a question mark.

It was like Jared Cowen last year.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Well the numbers speak for themselves in his rookie season. He's got decent height, with a frame that should easily support added muscle/weight.

During his rookie season I found he was much more involved defensively, not so much this past year when in the few games he played however. That being said, the team as a whole was beyond garbage and often looked for shortcuts for scoring chances.

Connolly however has great hands and a wicked release. He could stand to use his size more, as is often the case with a lot of young junior players. But he isn't afraid to go into those dirty areas for the puck, and quite often was able to win board battles on his own.

I did notice this past season that, at least in the few home games he played, he didn't use his teammates as much as he probably should have. That's not to say his passing is poor, it's just in MY opinion he's more of a shooter/scorer.

I believed, and told coworkers, friends and pretty much anyone that would listen during Connolly's rookie season that he was a top 5 pick, and with a really good 09-10 season he'd be a top 3 pick. He's still got a shot at being a top 5 pick...but the lack of games, and that "I" word may have some teams a little worried.

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:35 AM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
Well the numbers speak for themselves in his rookie season. He's got decent height, with a frame that should easily support added muscle/weight.

During his rookie season I found he was much more involved defensively, not so much this past year when in the few games he played however. That being said, the team as a whole was beyond garbage and often looked for shortcuts for scoring chances.

Connolly however has great hands and a wicked release. He could stand to use his size more, as is often the case with a lot of young junior players. But he isn't afraid to go into those dirty areas for the puck, and quite often was able to win board battles on his own.

I did notice this past season that, at least in the few home games he played, he didn't use his teammates as much as he probably should have. That's not to say his passing is poor, it's just in MY opinion he's more of a shooter/scorer.

I believed, and told coworkers, friends and pretty much anyone that would listen during Connolly's rookie season that he was a top 5 pick, and with a really good 09-10 season he'd be a top 3 pick. He's still got a shot at being a top 5 pick...but the lack of games, and that "I" word may have some teams a little worried.
could be the best in the draft. no supporting cast in PG either

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Canadiens93

Impressive regular season numbers all things considered. Can't say the same for the u18's though. But who knows what kind of ailments he was playing through during that tournament.

Canadiens93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:11 AM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateDerekPlante View Post
Its impossible to talk about him without bringing up the injury. Its just too big of a question mark.

It was like Jared Cowen last year.
Anybody know if there are other players who have had similar hip injuries early in their career and have gone on to have long careers? PS. What was the exact injury? Thanx

twominute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 09:59 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Can someone who is familiar with PG give a points projection for this past year in the WHL had he been healthy?

Also assuming he remains healthy in the NHL, what is his points projection ceiling?

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:39 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Can someone who is familiar with PG give a points projection for this past year in the WHL had he been healthy?

Also assuming he remains healthy in the NHL, what is his points projection ceiling?

85 points, around 45 goals if healthy all year. If he was healthy all year a good chance his regular center would not have been dealt, by the time he came back from injury any other player with any offense had been traded, all he had left was a bunch of 16 and 17's, of which few deserved to be in the WHL.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongold View Post
85 points, around 45 goals if healthy all year. If he was healthy all year a good chance his regular center would not have been dealt, by the time he came back from injury any other player with any offense had been traded, all he had left was a bunch of 16 and 17's, of which few deserved to be in the WHL.
Thanks Luongold.

Any projection on what numbers he can top out at in the NHL if everything goes right?

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
westisbest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
You joined HFboards over 7 years ago and have a total of 25 posts.

You average 3.57 posts a year.

Amazing that we even stumbled across you.

Umm, as for Connolly, he has some elite level offensive potential.

Some have compared him to Dany Heatley, others to a Rick Nash type of player.

He has the potential to be the 3rd best forward in the draft...maybe even better then Hall or Seguin if things fall right...

There are a lot of safer picks though, Johansen, Skinner, Etem, Neideritter(sp?) etc

So let me get this straight, you're making fun of him because he's not like you and doesn't make 200 posts a day? Gotcha.

westisbest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 03:59 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
When I saw him and the other prospects sit down with Don Cherry, I was surprised at how big he is. I thought Gudbranson was supposed to be the beast of the bunch but Connolly looked quite a bit bigger. The kid is huge.

Then he was asked to describe his game, and he compared his style to Rick Nash. So I think it would be awesome if Columbus took him, they would have two Rick Nash's! I don't know if it's the most practical choice but it is an intriguing scenario.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:14 PM
korben*

Why is he though of circa 5th overall, when Pulkkinen is now 35th?

Year ago they were both Top 10.

korben* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Staalguy

really thinhk that he is going to be great but there is the risk vs reward system.... the reward is highter

Staalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by westisbest View Post
So let me get this straight, you're making fun of him because he's not like you and doesn't make 200 posts a day? Gotcha.
I honestly wasn't making fun of him.

You just don't see too many guys who joined in 2002 who are still posting on Hfboards and have such a low total.

Infact if anything it's kinda cool. Everyone is going for mondo post counts, and this guy still comes to hfboards and posts now and then more then 8 years after he joined and yet has kept his post count astoundingly low.

Astonishing really. but no I wasn't making fun of him....

Just looked like a statistical anomally to me.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Staalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
I honestly wasn't making fun of him.

You just don't see too many guys who joined in 2002 who are still posting on Hfboards and have such a low total.

Infact if anything it's kinda cool. Everyone is going for mondo post counts, and this guy still comes to hfboards and posts now and then more then 8 years after he joined and yet has kept his post count astoundingly low.

Astonishing really. but no I wasn't making fun of him....

Just looked like a statistical anomally to me.
i thought that it was insane crazy...... in a cool way

Staalguy is offline   Reply With Quote