HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
How would you compare Paajarvi to Backstrom, what type of player is he? I love my Swedish prospects

From watching Backstrom, he's adopted very quickly to the NA style of hockey. He's been great along the boards, great vision, extremely patient with the puck, and very rarely giving it up in the offensive zone. He's already playing like a pro, if points told the entire story on how well a player is doing, Backstrom would be at 55-60.
Right off the top of my head I would say that Paajarvi will challenge the defense directly much more than Bäckström. Bäckström can hold the puck and drive the defense nuts, whereas Pääjärvi is more likely to come at his D-man and embarrass him 1-on-1 if he is given any space at all.

Old
02-03-2008, 10:05 AM
KRM

More shifty and better speed.

Old
02-03-2008, 10:46 AM
EliteProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
How would you compare Paajarvi to Backstrom, what type of player is he? I love my Swedish prospects

From watching Backstrom, he's adopted very quickly to the NA style of hockey. He's been great along the boards, great vision, extremely patient with the puck, and very rarely giving it up in the offensive zone. He's already playing like a pro, if points told the entire story on how well a player is doing, Backstrom would be at 55-60.
Bäckström is a technically skilled playmaker with exceptional hockey sense

Pääjärvi is a speedy sniper, who still has very good hockey sense and can set up plays nicely.

If Bäckström is more comparable to Forsberg with the way he sets up his teammates, Pääjärvi is more comparable to Näslund.

Old
02-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Paajarvi plays a better game than Naslund in my opinion (this is coming from a Finn mind you). He's got a nice size difference on Naslund to (I think he's close to 4 inches taller than him), I think Paajarvi can put up a solid 40 goal 60 assist season in the NHL like Naslund has done.

Old
02-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
I'm not sure I agree with you on the "hockey sense." At least not with AO. That boy is a one-way deal, TO THE NET. Nothing wrong with that by any means, but my point is that MP will not need to apologize for himself when the time comes for him to make the jump, and I truly believe that he will be the #1 Swedish player as well as one of the absolute premier players in the world when he gets older... maybe not in two years, but with good fortune, his career will last longer than that.
Yeah, but AO had/has a sick skill set.

Remember that at the same age as MP is today, AO played in the World Championships for men, so MP who barely played in the WJC this season at this age isn't even close to AO at the same age. If anything, you are expecting him to develop about twice as much as AO did from the age of 16 to 20, and thats quite the challenge.

Its also comes down to style. In junior hockey there is allot of room for forwards who are great at jumping behind D's, who are great 1 on 1 et c. It isn't easy to beat a D 1 on 1 in the NHL.

My point is, I belive that MP must become more skilled then Bäckström is to have the same impact; due to the style and "downgrade" in hockeysense he got. MP is extremely skilled, but he doesn't got "amazing" hockeysense like Bäckström have. Then inorder to have the same impact, he should be a once in 20 year talent, instead of just "extremely skilled".

Old
02-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore View Post
Bäckström is a technically skilled playmaker with exceptional hockey sense

Pääjärvi is a speedy sniper, who still has very good hockey sense and can set up plays nicely.
Exactly, its nothing wrong with MP's hockeysense; compared with somenoe like Phil Kessel it might actually rank pretty well, but its not "exceptional" or amazing.

Old
02-16-2008, 10:50 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi scored his first SEL goal today (assisted by Anton Lander, it was as much his goal as Pääjärvi's in my eyes).

It turned out to be the game winning goal..

Old
02-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Dillon

plz..

do explain to me me how the third goal in a 3-0 win is a gamewinning goal ; )

Old
02-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Teus

He scored his first SEL goal today. Anton Lander with the assist.

If this link work, then you can watch the goal about 53 secs into the clip: http://clients.playout.se/goservice....Content=stream

Also found this on YouTube. Not sure where it's from...could be a U20 game in Sweden. Pääjärvi is #21 in that clip.

Old
02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Teus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
do explain to me me how the third goal in a 3-0 win is a gamewinning goal ; )
He scored the 1-0 goal...

Old
02-16-2008, 12:28 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Nice play on that goal... he saw that entire play developing, as he dished the first simple pass to the point-man.

Old
02-16-2008, 01:32 PM
KRM

Yea saw it, good for him and Lander to be on the scoresheet.

Old
02-16-2008, 03:01 PM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

Nice goal today by Pääjärvi but please don't forget the other 16 year old who actually did the work and served MSP so he could score. Anton Lander looks like an amazing prospect, i think he has the potential to become a star center in any league he wishes to be in the future if he develops the way i hope he will.

Pääjärvi will get the headlines though (initially).

Old
02-16-2008, 05:01 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-nix View Post
Nice goal today by Pääjärvi but please don't forget the other 16 year old who actually did the work and served MSP so he could score. Anton Lander looks like an amazing prospect, i think he has the potential to become a star center in any league he wishes to be in the future if he develops the way i hope he will.

Pääjärvi will get the headlines though (initially).
Eh I wouldn't be too sure... players like Zetterberg are showing that supreme two-way ability is more than commendable, and I'd wager there are some that linger around here who'd label him their favorite player, over those of the Kovalchuk mold.
To bring this all together, I think Lander will be the type of player that is Zetterberg... maybe not to that magnitude, at least at an early stage, but I think Lander displays that sort of ability, while coincidentally, now that I think about it, I like to compare Paajarvi to more of a goal-scoring (rather than play-making) Datsyuk.
My point is, you're right Paajarvi will probably steal a lot of headlines, but players like Lander will get their due, as they are more and more these days.

Old
02-25-2008, 04:40 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola* View Post
Remember that at the same age as MP is today, AO played in the World Championships for men, so MP who barely played in the WJC this season at this age isn't even close to AO at the same age.
UH? I think Ovechkin played his first World Championships in 2004, when he was almost 19. That means 2 yrs older than Paajarvi is now...

Old
02-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
UH? I think Ovechkin played his first World Championships in 2004, when he was almost 19. That means 2 yrs older than Paajarvi is now...
Yes, I missed that. At the age of MP today Ovy didn't even made WJC team. In fact, he had a good RSL season year before the draft, but you must keep in mind, he was almost 2003 eligible.

Malkin wasn't even an RSL player year before the draft btw.

Old
02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Ribban

You can't compare these players anyway.

The Russians focus a lot more of their youth training on individual skills and offense.

The Swedish tendency is to stress the team game, positioning, and defense. That's why it USUALLY takes the Swedish kids a few extra years before they mature and can contribute to an NHL squad.

Comparing 16, 17, 18, or even 19 and 20 year olds from different nations is a rather dull process. It would be like comparing a weightlifter to a marathon runner and argue who the better athlete was as these kids have all developed different skills.

The question is how good we think they are when they start to get to be around 24-25, and what skill set/upside they have at that point to carry them forward and into their mid- or late thirties, maybe even beyond that if they are lucky enough to have the health and motivation to continue playing.

OK... Enough of my on this soapbox. I like MP and hope to see a lot of him in the future.

Old
02-26-2008, 03:25 AM
pouskin74*

alexander ovechkin was a 16 years old at 2002 IIHF World U18 Championship
Trnava, Piestany
SLOVAKIA 14+4 18 points in 8 games . at 2003 IIHF World U18 Championship
Yaroslavl
RUSSIA 9+4 13 points in 6 games. same year at 2003 IIHF World U20 Championship
Halifax/Sydney
CANADA 6+1 7 points in 6 games as 17 years old kid. and so on. there is nothing to compare yet.

Old
02-26-2008, 04:01 AM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
You can't compare these players anyway.

The Russians focus a lot more of their youth training on individual skills and offense.

The Swedish tendency is to stress the team game, positioning, and defense. That's why it USUALLY takes the Swedish kids a few extra years before they mature and can contribute to an NHL squad.

Comparing 16, 17, 18, or even 19 and 20 year olds from different nations is a rather dull process. It would be like comparing a weightlifter to a marathon runner and argue who the better athlete was as these kids have all developed different skills.

The question is how good we think they are when they start to get to be around 24-25, and what skill set/upside they have at that point to carry them forward and into their mid- or late thirties, maybe even beyond that if they are lucky enough to have the health and motivation to continue playing.

OK... Enough of my on this soapbox. I like MP and hope to see a lot of him in the future.
Yes, true. In Russia they focus as you said on individual strenght with the stickhandling, making a fool of the defense, while Swedish teaching usually makes stronger defense and two-way players that will in the end create more offensive output. What you can see in early years is the will to compete. The will to be the best such as Forsberg & Crosby has. The will! The work they put in every practice. I think Magnus will be a great player, a topguy in NHL.

Old
02-29-2008, 12:00 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Just trying to bump this thread a little bit. Can anyone inform me as to how he's actually looked, as far as his play in different aspects. We've gotten the updates on statistically significant events, but how's he been as far as his play? Thanks to any who can provide.

Old
03-01-2008, 09:11 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

He has grown alot (atleast from what i've seen of him) since the begining of the series. MSP and Lander has gotten more icetime now that their club (Timra IK) has alot of players on the injurylist and they both look good.

If they keep on growing like this they will probably be SEL regulars next season at the age of 17...

Old
09-05-2008, 07:32 AM
SChan*

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

from timra's game vs MoDo two days ago. Beautiful setup by MSP.

later in the video, his trainer talks about how awesome he and anton lander is.

Old
09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Ten

Maybe because he's swedish, but the initial thing that popped into my head was Peter Forsberg.

I think this is a kid who, with a good season, could finish closer to 1st overall than expected.

Old
09-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Maybe because he's swedish, but the initial thing that popped into my head was Peter Forsberg.
After watching that sick pass I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:02 AM
johnny canuckistan

Beautiful skills, nicely done...

Closed Thread