HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
SChan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
You'd be a fool to draft a kid based off of the U20's.
tell that to GMs, lots of talents gets exposed at WJC.

Old
09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

The Ä is not long like "say ahh" or "uhh", like the word "bunt". It's rather long like the a in "bat".

Basically check out this link and go to the umlaut a and click the sound byte button.

Old
09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I wish people would use players actual names. At least until they are drafted. It makes learning about prospects difficult for us dablers!
Typing out his full name makes it hard for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCfan View Post
tell that to GMs, lots of talents gets exposed at WJC.
Like Pietrangelo and Bogosian? Who both went ahead of Schenn even though some suggest Schenn was one of the best players in the tournament last year?

It's 2 weeks over christmas break. But a great tournament does not mean a great career, nor should it be the deciding factor on a prospect.

Old
09-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Ä is not pronounced like an A, please don't butcher Pääjärvi's name like Selänne's.
Why don't you tell us the proper way to pronounce it, instead of just saying don't pronounce it wrong.

Old
09-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
Why don't you tell us the proper way to pronounce it, instead of just saying don't pronounce it wrong.
See WashJeffHockey19's post.. Thats a good explanation.. the A's in his name arent really A's.. They are Ä's.. which is pronounced like the A in "bat"...

Old
09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
MSP is prolly my fav prospect for the next draft, I hope he outplays both hedman and tavares this year

Old
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
DayWalk3r already did, I just hope commentators learn it and use it.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
MSP is prolly my fav prospect for the next draft, I hope he outplays both hedman and tavares this year
He's really been my favorite prospect on the map, for any draft, for the last 3 years or so. I'm just a big fan of his. Such a great talent. I also just by nature tend to pull for the guy who's not the front runner, but that doesn't have anything to do with this year's draft eligibles. I just really like the way Paajarvi plays the game.

Old
09-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Madic

Quote:
DayWalk3r already did, I just hope commentators learn it and use it.
They won't. And with good reason, truth be told; I don't even bloody well understand how to say it, and I just read his explanation. So the "a"'s are pronounced as the 'a' in "bat" is used? All three of those a's? But also with an 'e' sound in there, as Daywalker said?! How the hell is that supposed to work? Pah-e-jah-ervi?!

It sounds to me a hell of a lot like you're all being picky, and I don't mean that offensively. Different languages, different ways we form words...Colaiacovo isn't pronounced "Co-lee-a-covo", it's said "Co-lie-a-covo", but when you say it fast...it comes out that way.

Old
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
They won't. And with good reason, truth be told; I don't even bloody well understand how to say it, and I just read his explanation. So the "a"'s are pronounced as the 'a' in "bat" is used? All three of those a's? But also with an 'e' sound in there, as Daywalker said?! How the hell is that supposed to work? Pah-e-jah-ervi?!

It sounds to me a hell of a lot like you're all being picky, and I don't mean that offensively. Different languages, different ways we form words...Colaiacovo isn't pronounced "Co-lee-a-covo", it's said "Co-lie-a-covo", but when you say it fast...it comes out that way.
It's actually closer to Ko-lee-ah-ko-vo, with the "ah" like "AHHH I'M RUNNING FROM A MONSTER" instead of "aww, look at that pretty monster."

Old
09-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Madic

^ I meant the exact same thing, I just didn't add the "h".

Old
09-06-2008, 02:21 AM
iPunch
50 Mission Cap

You know, I cant remember there being any other players in the NHL with the amount of forign punctuation that Svensson-Pääjärvi has. Maybe I just havn't seen some guys pre-NHL last names.

Does Pääjärvi just turn into Paajarvi? Or does the spelling change more than that? Seems like the players north americanize their names when they come over.

Old
09-06-2008, 02:54 AM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
You know, I cant remember there being any other players in the NHL with the amount of forign punctuation that Svensson-Pääjärvi has. Maybe I just havn't seen some guys pre-NHL last names.

Does Pääjärvi just turn into Paajarvi? Or does the spelling change more than that? Seems like the players north americanize their names when they come over.
Happens with Russians 95% of the time.

We can avoid everything by just calling him Magnus Svensson.

Old
09-06-2008, 03:19 AM
zecke26

Quote:
We can avoid everything by just calling him Magnus Svensson.
people already try to avoid it by calling him MSP which is funny, because it's already a big mistake since his name is Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson.

Old
09-06-2008, 05:45 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
people already try to avoid it by calling him MSP which is funny, because it's already a big mistake since his name is Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson.
Nope, the majority of sources use Svensson-Pääjärvi.

Old
09-06-2008, 05:49 AM
SChan*

Quote:

It's 2 weeks over christmas break. But a great tournament does not mean a great career, nor should it be the deciding factor on a prospect.
you havent been around here much have you? Both Stamkos and Toews moved up because of their WJC performances, and here at hfboards a lot of people use WJC performance as indication of good a player can play. Even Sutter, flames GM said backlund's WJC performances meant a lot.

Old
09-06-2008, 06:35 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Nope, the majority of sources use Svensson-Pääjärvi.
the only source i trust is eliteprospects.com.
and the official site of timra also uses pääjärvi-svensson.

and didn't he say that he prefers just pääjärvi anyway?

Old
09-06-2008, 07:35 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
the only source i trust is eliteprospects.com.
and the official site of timra also uses pääjärvi-svensson.

and didn't he say that he prefers just pääjärvi anyway?
Yes, Timrå use Pääjärvi-Svensson, but for Tre Kronor it has been Svensson-Pääjärvi. Svensson-Pääjärvi is also his name according to the population registration in Sweden.

He would make it a lot easier for everyone if he just decided to use Pääjärvi on his jersey

Old
09-06-2008, 09:25 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Yes, Timrå use Pääjärvi-Svensson, but for Tre Kronor it has been Svensson-Pääjärvi. Svensson-Pääjärvi is also his name according to the population registration in Sweden.

He would make it a lot easier for everyone if he just decided to use Pääjärvi on his jersey
How about just straight "Magnus"!!!

Old
09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Like Pietrangelo and Bogosian? Who both went ahead of Schenn even though some suggest Schenn was one of the best players in the tournament last year?

More like Erik Johnson, who had a breakthrough tourney that propelled him from top 10 status to pretty much a consensus #1. Schenn's not the greatest example because while he had a good tourney, he plays a relatively one-dimensional game.

The WJCs won't "make" a player if he hadn't done anything of substance earlier, but it is the best (only, really) chance to show a player against the elite of his peer group, which is instrumental in confirming scouts' fears, alleviating their concerns, or exceeding their expectations about what a kid can do at the next level.

It has been not a not-negligible factor in a lot of players' draft positions.

Old
09-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Marky9er

We should have a poll to decide who the real MSP is....Marty St. Pierre has been MSP for years. I don't even know who this other guy with the beer league moves is.

Old
09-06-2008, 11:08 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
More like Erik Johnson, who had a breakthrough tourney that propelled him from top 10 status to pretty much a consensus #1. Schenn's not the greatest example because while he had a good tourney, he plays a relatively one-dimensional game.

The WJCs won't "make" a player if he hadn't done anything of substance earlier, but it is the best (only, really) chance to show a player against the elite of his peer group, which is instrumental in confirming scouts' fears, alleviating their concerns, or exceeding their expectations about what a kid can do at the next level.

It has been not a not-negligible factor in a lot of players' draft positions.
Johnson was already a clear candidate for #1. Indeed, many considered him #1 at the time. The Tourney only confirmed those views.

Often, you notice that the highly regarded prospects who had a bad WJ in their draft years (Take Motin for example) are having a bad year anyway. So whilst the WJ may make it noticeable to us, i suspect it doesn't have massive impact on scouts view. Of course it can enhance or hurt a prospects stock a little, but it will not define their draft stock.

Old
09-06-2008, 11:35 AM
mooseOAK*

Looks like extremely bad defence to me.

Old
09-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Johnson was already a clear candidate for #1. Indeed, many considered him #1 at the time. The Tourney only confirmed those views.

Often, you notice that the highly regarded prospects who had a bad WJ in their draft years (Take Motin for example) are having a bad year anyway. So whilst the WJ may make it noticeable to us, i suspect it doesn't have massive impact on scouts view. Of course it can enhance or hurt a prospects stock a little, but it will not define their draft stock.
No, you're wrong. He wasn't a clear candidate for #1 (although his 2 #3 rankings suggest it was possible), and he absolutely was not ranked #1 by many - or any, in fact. His stock was raised significantly from "top 10 guy" to a virtual lock for #1. I remembered it vividly, and a little research proves me right:

McKeens in Oct/Nov

EJ was #5

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/cont...960&CID=464269

ISS top 15 for December, 2005

EJ was #7

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._for_december/

Also from December, '05:

Quote:
The massive, 6’4, 225 lbs 17-year-old is considered to be a first-round lock and most likely will find himself being drafted in the top ten at the NHL Draft in June, which will also be held in Vancouver...

...Look for Johnson to be a top ten pick in the 2006 Draft, as it will be difficult for teams to pass over a prospect with such great size and hockey sense.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._erik_johnson/

Redline had him at #3, and so did THN's 2006 Future Watch. CSB didn't have him in their preliminary players to watch at the beginning of the season.

Then ISS top 15 for January, 2006

EJ was #1

Quote:
Eric Johnson was absolutely phenomenal throughout the WJC tournament and has thus risen to the lofty height of #1 in our January rankings. He was the best defenseman on a solid core from the US and outshone the #3 pick in last year's draft, Jack Johnson. He has excellent feet that he can use in both offensive and defensive capacities and is nearly impossible to beat in 1-on-1 situations. He quarterbacked the power play at times and was very good at controlling the play and getting his shot through. He also displayed general nastiness that was indeed impressive and as a result it allowed him to gain extra space around the rink. A tremendous performance that has ISS believing he will continue to get better.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_for_january/

So as you can see, even in the top end, EJ was ranked #3 at the highest. The tourney most definitely raised his stock from top 5 or 10 prospect to consensus #1. There is no doubt about it.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 09-06-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old
09-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
We should have a poll to decide who the real MSP is....Marty St. Pierre has been MSP for years. I don't even know who this other guy with the beer league moves is.

This statement will be really funny 2-3 years from now.

Closed Thread