HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Garl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Looks like extremely bad defence to me.
Extremely bad? Timra's players just were quick enough and had some space due to that.

Old
09-06-2008, 01:48 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
How about just straight "Magnus"!!!
or better yet "The Magnus"

Old
09-06-2008, 02:01 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Extremely bad? Timra's players just were quick enough and had some space due to that.
The guy in front of the net watching behind the net and not looking around to see who to cover.

Old
09-06-2008, 02:09 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
The guy in front of the net watching behind the net and not looking around to see who to cover.
If you're talking about the little defender, it seems he realized that nobody was putting any pressure on Paajarvi. Since he saw none of his teammates in front of him, there must have been 4 behind him, so he was proceeding to take his place on the strong post, as it appeared that, to obviously everyone on the ice, that was the direction Paajarvi was going. Seeing a forward half way around the net, with his back to the guy who eventually scored the goal, it was either: 1) Pick up the guy who Paajarvi apparently couldn't even see, due to his back being to him... allowing Paajarvi to either walk right out in front of the net, or dish to the forward perched at the post, who Paajarvi could likely see clear as day. Or 2) Take the strong post, where nobody was, keeping Paajarvi at bay behind the net, or at least to the outside, while taking away the pass on the strong side, to the man in front.

Certainly gives a little substance to the situation, besides "bad defense".

Old
09-06-2008, 02:14 PM
mckeefan*

Msp?

Old
09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
JFA87-66-99

I can't wait for this kid to get to the NHL. He's going in the top 5 maybe higher.

Old
09-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
More like Erik Johnson, who had a breakthrough tourney that propelled him from top 10 status to pretty much a consensus #1. Schenn's not the greatest example because while he had a good tourney, he plays a relatively one-dimensional game.

The WJCs won't "make" a player if he hadn't done anything of substance earlier, but it is the best (only, really) chance to show a player against the elite of his peer group, which is instrumental in confirming scouts' fears, alleviating their concerns, or exceeding their expectations about what a kid can do at the next level.

It has been not a not-negligible factor in a lot of players' draft positions.
My point was two players who didn't even take part in the event went before arguably the best player at the tournament.

Old
09-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeefan View Post
Msp?
I know, I don't get it either! I only had two entire pages of posts to find out who this mysterious "MSP" was!

Old
09-06-2008, 05:16 PM
BringTheReign

I'd love to see the Kings draft this guy if we don't finish low enough to snag Hedman or Tavares. We have somewhat of a weakness in prospects at the left wing position, plus how cool would this line be?

Paajarvi - Kopitar - Brown.

Old
09-06-2008, 06:27 PM
tyler_sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
I'd love to see the Kings draft this guy if we don't finish low enough to snag Hedman or Tavares. We have somewhat of a weakness in prospects at the left wing position, plus how cool would this line be?

Paajarvi - Kopitar - Brown.
I don't think that line would be cool at all. Actually from a sens point of view I would hate that line with a passion.

Old
09-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
My point was two players who didn't even take part in the event went before arguably the best player at the tournament.
Yep, but it ignored a crucial factor.

When you see Team Canada select Kris Draper over Sidney Crosby and Jason Spezza, do you suppose its because they feel he is a better hockey player, or do you think they picked him because he better fits a particular role on the team?

Old
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
If you're talking about the little defender, it seems he realized that nobody was putting any pressure on Paajarvi. Since he saw none of his teammates in front of him, there must have been 4 behind him, so he was proceeding to take his place on the strong post, as it appeared that, to obviously everyone on the ice, that was the direction Paajarvi was going. Seeing a forward half way around the net, with his back to the guy who eventually scored the goal, it was either: 1) Pick up the guy who Paajarvi apparently couldn't even see, due to his back being to him... allowing Paajarvi to either walk right out in front of the net, or dish to the forward perched at the post, who Paajarvi could likely see clear as day. Or 2) Take the strong post, where nobody was, keeping Paajarvi at bay behind the net, or at least to the outside, while taking away the pass on the strong side, to the man in front.

Aren't we impressed with our knowledge.

With the other guy playing Paajarvi it was the player in front of the net's job to look for someone else instead of two players watching the guy behind the net. The defender in the slot area took one stride towards Paajarvi, realized it was the bad move and the puck was in the net.

Old
09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Sportacus
:)

If the Leafs draft him, that video will be considered invalid around here

09-06-2008, 11:37 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Aren't we impressed with our knowledge.

With the other guy playing Paajarvi it was the player in front of the net's job to look for someone else instead of two players watching the guy behind the net. The defender in the slot area took one stride towards Paajarvi, realized it was the bad move and the puck was in the net.
So basically it was a breakdown, which usually occurs on most goals scored in any league, and a player capitalizing on one's mistake, with a very clever play.

Old
09-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Berglund1313

Pääjärvi aint new in the Top of this draft ever seens he was about 13-14 years old many in Sweden have seen him as the next great Swed in hockey after Forsberg and he have done it better so far then what Forsberg have done at same age .

Btw will he play with Jonathan and Lander all year or was it only for this game ?

Old
09-07-2008, 02:23 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Does he play a game similar to Foppa

or what?

Old
09-07-2008, 02:25 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Does he play a game similar to Foppa

or what?
He's a much more dynamic skater then Forsberg ever was.

Old
09-07-2008, 03:01 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post

7, 13, and 20 are skating around like lost puppy dogs, and the eventual goal scorer comes all the way down from the point, through the slot, and makes it to the goal post without anyone picking him up until that one guy makes a desperation swipe at him as he's burying it.

It was still a nice pass.

Old
09-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Berglund1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
He's a much more dynamic skater then Forsberg ever was.
yea and not as physical as forsberg .

Old
09-07-2008, 03:17 AM
weems

When you watch this clip, I dont think I can remember a prospect with his speed and agility. He Basically looks like a Zetterberg clone on steroids in this vid-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-go4o...=548949&page=2

Old
09-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
When you watch this clip, I dont think I can remember a prospect with his speed and agility. He Basically looks like a Zetterberg clone on steroids in this vid-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-go4o...=548949&page=2
I just see a smaller Forsberg...

Old
09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Agreed...but tell that to Erik Karlsson.
Erik Karlsson didn't play the U-20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I just see a smaller Forsberg...
Not much smaller, though. Paajarvi is actually already listed as an inch taller than Forsberg. Forsberg does have the weight advantage, but the two should be pretty similar when Paajarvi fills out.

Then again, Forsberg was listed at 5-11, 167 when he was drafted, so Paajarvi could end up being bigger than him.

Old
09-07-2008, 12:43 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
We should have a poll to decide who the real MSP is....Marty St. Pierre has been MSP for years. I don't even know who this other guy with the beer league moves is.
How ignorant.

he is a 17 year old playing SEL teams, a much bigger accomplishment than playing in a junior league in North American.

Thank you, next.

Old
09-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCfan View Post
How ignorant.

he is a 17 year old playing SEL teams, a much bigger accomplishment than playing in a junior league in North American.

Thank you, next.
as i've said, it will be a good signature in 2-3 years.)))))))

Old
09-07-2008, 01:22 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
as i've said, it will be a good signature in 2-3 years.)))))))
Agreed, I will be very surprised if Paajarvi doesnt make it in NHL.

Closed Thread