HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2007, 09:41 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
Umm...

1. I'm 20
2. I know what I'm talking about
3. ISS is complete crap

good point.

Old
12-21-2007, 10:48 PM
PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Quote:
Umm...

1. I'm 20
2. I know what I'm talking about
3. ISS is complete crap
Guess we all just didn't remember your birthday. Happy birthday!

Old
12-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckheadMcGillycuddy View Post
I agree that Myllari should be in the top 50, but I'll gladly take ISS' word for it over a teenage kid in Chicago.
Well I have seen Rajala this season 10+ times and seen rest of top 91's at least couple of times(and 90's obviously). And ISS finnish rankings were totally off. So take my word over ISS that Rajala is top finnish 91, not Nättinen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
I understand, but usually, scouts overlook many players espescially in Europe.
Or they are only watching international tournaments it seems.

Old
12-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Well I have seen Rajala this season 10+ times and seen rest of top 91's at least couple of times(and 90's obviously). And ISS finnish rankings were totally off. So take my word over ISS that Rajala is top finnish 91, not Nättinen.

Or they are only watching international tournaments it seems.
In case Nattinen vs Rajala, yeah, it seems that they are juding then only on inter tournaments, cause Nattinen is very succesful there.
But in that case, why they have Uhrbom in 1st round and Myllari is out of TOP 50?

Uhrbom is a very good prospect, a big defenseman(6'3 200 lbs) but he didn't outplayed Myllari nor in Swe J20, nor in inter. tournaments.

So it seems that they are not very accurate in rankings a year before the draft, espescially for Europeans.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
He's actually fallen in my books. Hasn't impressed me too much this season.. Rajala is still better IMHO... He'll still be top 5

1. Hedman (2)
2. Tavares (1)
3. Rajala
4. Kuchin
5. Paajarvi
6. Cowen
7. Haula
8. Anthony
9. Myllari
10. Duschene
where have you seen paajarvi this season??

he is playing in the SEL and he is 16!!! how can that not impress you??

i have seen him 4-5 times this season and he sure has impressed me....

Old
12-23-2007, 09:09 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
where have you seen paajarvi this season??

he is playing in the SEL and he is 16!!! how can that not impress you??

i have seen him 4-5 times this season and he sure has impressed me....
erhm the poster is finnish, enough said. 16 and SEL is unheard of.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50

Old
12-23-2007, 09:16 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

the SEL is a better league than the FNL. Rajala can't crack the FNL, bit Paajarvi can crack the SEL. Sweden has a better WJC team then Finland. Once again, Paajarvi makes his much stronger WJC team, while Rajala doesn't. I really can't see how Rajala is better, your saying if Rajala played in Sweden he would be in the SEL? I just don't see that happening, Paarjavi has accomplished so much more then Rajala, I can't see how he is ahead of Rajala at this point.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:19 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Hey Garl, can you give me more information of Kuchin's, Kitsyn's, and Svensson's playing style, potential, and who would you compare them to? Thanks!

Old
12-23-2007, 09:20 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Svensson and Kuchin sounds like players that I would desperatly want my Leafs to draft.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Kuchin/Kitsyn are Russian

Kuchin is definately like Bure but smaller, 87 points in 28 tournament games at 15 years old.

Kitsyn is 6'4" I think at 15 and he's just a big kid with talent. I really don't see him doing too well later on.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Quote:
Kuchin/Kitsyn are Russian

Kuchin is definately like Bure but smaller, 87 points in 28 tournament games at 15 years old.

Kitsyn is 6'4" I think at 15 and he's just a big kid with talent. I really don't see him doing too well later on.
again. i gotta ask. you didnt answer earlier.

where and when have you seen these guys play?? i live in europe and i have never seen them.

and your comments about paajarvi makes me question if you have seen him too.

Old
12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:

where and when have you seen these guys play?? i live in europe and i have never seen them.

I'll admit you shouldnt take my reports of Suomi/Swede players seriously but I have seen them. Kuchin and Kitsyn have been a hot comodity for me to look at. I saw Kuchin at the Nike Bauer tournement were he destroyed and I saw Kitsyn shortly at a tournament in Moskau.

I report honestly on Russian/American/Canadian players

Old
12-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Quote:
I'll admit you shouldnt take my reports of Suomi/Swede players seriously but I have seen them. Kuchin and Kitsyn have been a hot comodity for me to look at. I saw Kuchin at the Nike Bauer tournement were he destroyed and I saw Kitsyn shortly at a tournament in Moskau.

I report honestly on Russian/American/Canadian players

i dont know if you are a paid scout or whatever, but if you are not,I find it hard to believe that a 20 year old from chicago gets the chanse to travel all over the world to post reports on an online message board.

and most of the tournaments these guys play in are not on TV. so you would have to be there in person for all these tournaments and be in sweden and finland to see paajarvi, rajala ect.....

i may be completely off here, but i find it very hard to believe.

Old
12-23-2007, 10:26 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:
i dont know if you are a paid scout or whatever, but if you are not,I find it hard to believe that a 20 year old from chicago gets the chanse to travel all over the world to post reports on an online message board.

and most of the tournaments these guys play in are not on TV. so you would have to be there in person for all these tournaments and be in sweden and finland to see paajarvi, rajala ect.....

i may be completely off here, but i find it very hard to believe.
any early comparisons or projections for this guy?

Old
12-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I have family in Russia and Finland... I"m there quite frequently, sir. Now if you'd like to back of you can do so.

Old
12-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Quote:
I have family in Russia and Finland... I"m there quite frequently, sir. Now if you'd like to back of you can do so.
i just find it hard to believe that someone who is not paid to do it, has seen even everyone in their top 10 enough to give such detailed reports.

+ your comments about paajarvi was not even close to what i would have said. and i have seen him 4-5 times this season on tv.

anyway. i said i could be way off, and i might be. but i will allways find it hard to believe that someone who is not a pro scout has the time to see enough hockey all over the world to give detailed reports on so many players...

Old
12-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Like I said my Suomi/Swede reports with be scewed. I always enjoy the Nike Bauer tournament and the U16-18s. In my top 10 I haven't seen Duschene, Cowen or Myllari play. But I've heard about all of them.

You're getting really close to my ignore list. So do a little backing off.

Old
12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Quote:
Like I said my Suomi/Swede reports with be scewed. I always enjoy the Nike Bauer tournament and the U16-18s. In my top 10 I haven't seen Duschene, Cowen or Myllari play. But I've heard about all of them.

You're getting really close to my ignore list. So do a little backing off.
yeah. well. like i said. i could be way off. no need to take it personally. it has nothing to do with you, just that its hard to believe anyone who says they have seen so many guys play, exept for a feaw posters like jonathan for example who i know has seen a million prospects play.

but, put me on ignore if thats what you want. but just know that it wasnt personally against just you, and you shouldnt feel offended

Old
12-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:

he gets "videos" sent to him from people he knows or something.

I don't know, I've had him blocked for a few months now. It's great.

Never did like people who have 2 favorite teams (his being Colorado and Chicago somehow).

He's 20, he "knows what he's talking about" and "iss is crap"...guess I'm one of the few who'd rather trust those guys at the ISS than some kid typing whatever his fingers happen to hit.

Old
12-24-2007, 02:44 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
It's important to remember that Finnerican has a mancrush on Rajala and cannot accept that he's simply not that special. This isn't meant as an insult either, we all have our players that we're simply biased about. Rajala is his.

Old
12-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalchuk View Post
the SEL is a better league than the FNL. Rajala can't crack the FNL, bit Paajarvi can crack the SEL. Sweden has a better WJC team then Finland. Once again, Paajarvi makes his much stronger WJC team, while Rajala doesn't. I really can't see how Rajala is better, your saying if Rajala played in Sweden he would be in the SEL? I just don't see that happening, Paarjavi has accomplished so much more then Rajala, I can't see how he is ahead of Rajala at this point.
I do agree he is ahead of Rajala. But there is one simple reason why he can play in SEL and Rajala is still playing in A-juniors. It's called size. Pääjärvi has size to play against men, while Rajala is small even compared to 18y kids. He is short and not bulldozer either, so. And it isn't like SEL would be a lot better(if at all) than FNL. I have seen both quite a bit and difference is very marginal for one league or other. Other league has other kind of dimensions better and other has other dimensions better.

Making it simple, if Pääjärvi would be Rajala's size and Rajala Pääjärvi's, then Rajala would be playing in WJC and FNL, while Pääjärvi wouldn't. That's just hypotetical, but still it's about size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
It's important to remember that Finnerican has a mancrush on Rajala and cannot accept that he's simply not that special. This isn't meant as an insult either, we all have our players that we're simply biased about. Rajala is his.
He is special. He is small, has limited A-junior playing time, still 1ppg in league against 20y players in his first season. He is having Ruutu(Tuomo), Koivu, etc. like stats in juniors, so saying he isn't special sounds ridicolous...

Last edited by Joretus: 12-24-2007 at 03:39 AM.
Old
12-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Brandinho

Quote:
He is special. He is small, has limited A-junior playing time, still 1ppg in league against 20y players in his first season. He is having Ruutu(Tuomo), Koivu, etc. like stats in juniors, so saying he isn't special sounds ridicolous...
That's nice, doesn't make him special though. He's a very good prospect but evidently you haven't heard Finnerican refer to him as the "Finnish Sidney Crosby" before, a class that he is not nor ever will be even remotely close to being in.

You also can't just write off his size so easily. Obviously he has time to grow, but if size didn't matter in evaluating a prospect, Denis Parshin would be atop everyone's lists.

Old
12-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
That's nice, doesn't make him special though. He's a very good prospect but evidently you haven't heard Finnerican refer to him as the "Finnish Sidney Crosby" before, a class that he is not nor ever will be even remotely close to being in.

You also can't just write off his size so easily. Obviously he has time to grow, but if size didn't matter in evaluating a prospect, Denis Parshin would be atop everyone's lists.
Well it depends what you are meaning about special. Obviously he isn't Crosby. And if specials are Crosby's then, fine, he isn't special. But imho being top-5/10 prospect in the world is being special. And he is clearly that. So if you will compare players against some stupid things which ppl are writing in here, well isn't that bit stupid? If I would say "Malkin is next Lemieux", would you say "no Malkin isn't anything special..." just because I did say something so stupid and compared him to Lemieux?

And I'm not writing size off, just stating it's obvious why other 16y can play against men while other one can't. While other ones are just saying "he is so much better prospect because he is playing against men and other one is just in juniors". Jesse Joensuu played as 15y against men because of his size. But this is first year he is showing what he could actually do. Since it's still 1,5y before and 16y are growing it's obvious it's more about actual players than making so big fuzz about size atm, at least it should be.

I have seen Rajala this year 10+ times, how many times have you seen him? Just curious since you are writing him so much off you have obviously much of knowledge of him.

Old
12-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Brandinho

Quote:
Well it depends what you are meaning about special. Obviously he isn't Crosby. And if specials are Crosby's then, fine, he isn't special. But imho being top-5/10 prospect in the world is being special. And he is clearly that. So if you will compare players against some stupid things which ppl are writing in here, well isn't that bit stupid? If I would say "Malkin is next Lemieux", would you say "no Malkin isn't anything special..." just because I did say something so stupid and compared him to Lemieux?

And I'm not writing size off, just stating it's obvious why other 16y can play against men while other one can't. While other ones are just saying "he is so much better prospect because he is playing against men and other one is just in juniors". Jesse Joensuu played as 15y against men because of his size. But this is first year he is showing what he could actually do. Since it's still 1,5y before and 16y are growing it's obvious it's more about actual players than making so big fuzz about size atm, at least it should be.

I have seen Rajala this year 10+ times, how many times have you seen him? Just curious since you are writing him so much off you have obviously much of knowledge of him.
I'm not writing him off, but I think his lack of size is a major issue and I simply cannot call a prospect with that major of a flaw "special". Then again, I also have a much tighter definition of "special" than most. I'm not hyperbolic at all with my praise. Also, please don't confuse Rajala being a top 5 or 10 prospect in THIS DRAFT with being a top 5 or 10 prospect in the world, because he simply isn't.

Closed Thread