HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Garl

vCash: 500
I agree with Joretus here. Rajala is very talented, as is Svensson-Paajarvi btw. The difference between them is the size, Paajarvi has the size and strength to play in SEL, Rajala hasn't. In Sweden there's a player, William Wallen who's similar to Rajala IMO. Many say that he's even more talented than Paajarvi, but he is just 5'8.

Old
12-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
I'm not writing him off, but I think his lack of size is a major issue and I simply cannot call a prospect with that major of a flaw "special". Then again, I also have a much tighter definition of "special" than most. I'm not hyperbolic at all with my praise. Also, please don't confuse Rajala being a top 5 or 10 prospect in THIS DRAFT with being a top 5 or 10 prospect in the world, because he simply isn't.
Ok. So it's just about your definition special then mostly. And well I ment obviously about this draft, but my lack of english skills failed me again.

I don't see size being flaw when they are still growing. So I wouldn't say it flaw at this point. If he is still so small and thin in 1,5y that's totally different case.

Otherwise as Garl did say, the size is reason for different leagues and since they are so young I don't see size being problem yet.

Last edited by Joretus: 12-24-2007 at 06:11 AM.
Old
12-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Brandinho
refscantsavebadteams

Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Ok. So it's just about your definition special then mostly. And well I ment obviously about this draft, but my lack of english skills failed me again.

I don't see size being flaw when they are still growing. So I wouldn't say it flaw at this point. If he is still so small and thin in 1,5y that's totally different case.

Otherwise as Garl did say, the size is reason for different leagues and since they are so young I don't see size being problem yet.
Your English skills didn't fail you, I just misinterpreted what you were saying. My bad.

Anyway, like I said, I just don't throw out terms like "special" very often, so yeah, if we have different definitions of "special" then that is pretty much the entire disagreement right there. Otherwise, the only point of contention seems to be that you don't think his size is as big of an issue as I do. Only time will tell.

Old
12-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
he gets "videos" sent to him from people he knows or something.

I don't know, I've had him blocked for a few months now. It's great.

Never did like people who have 2 favorite teams (his being Colorado and Chicago somehow).

He's 20, he "knows what he's talking about" and "iss is crap"...guess I'm one of the few who'd rather trust those guys at the ISS than some kid typing whatever his fingers happen to hit.

video's?? lol. what kind of video's?? because junior games in finland/russia are not on TV. so they must be at all these game's and video tape the game's themselves and then send it too him???? lol. very questionable...

and yeah. i would rather trust ISS. lol.

Old
12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
BritSabre

How can you possibly say Paarjavi hasn't impressed. He's been playing in the top league as a 16 year old!

Old
12-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
How can you possibly say Paarjavi hasn't impressed. He's been playing in the top league as a 16 year old!
thats why everyone is questioning if he has seen him play....

Old
12-24-2007, 08:52 PM
FINNtastic

Rajala is special in Finnish terms so he has the same amount of potential as the best Finnish NHL players have but is he ever going to reach that potential is up for grabs. So that's the question. I personally don't think that his height (5'8'') is the fact that is keeping him out of SM-liiga. It's his weight. When a player weighs around 150lbs it's not very common to play in a professional league against men. Pääjärvi has filled his frame early, Rajala hasn't. If Rajala were 5'8'' 190lbs he might be close of having a spot in the U20 national team.

Old
12-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
Rajala is special in Finnish terms so he has the same amount of potential as the best Finnish NHL players have but is he ever going to reach that potential is up for grabs. So that's the question. I personally don't think that his height (5'8'') is the fact that is keeping him out of SM-liiga. It's his weight. When a player weighs around 150lbs it's not very common to play in a professional league against men. Pääjärvi has filled his frame early, Rajala hasn't. If Rajala were 5'8'' 190lbs he might be close of having a spot in the U20 national team.
He's 5'10" I think...

Old
12-24-2007, 09:30 PM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
He's 5'10" I think...
21 F RAJALA Toni 29.03.1991 Parkano 175 67 FIN L Ilves

that's a quote from Finnish hockey federation's website. When he's off to Canada to play in the U17 Hockey Challenge he's listed 175cm (=5'8''). Well at least it's an inch better than in the fall. But who gives a **** about a inch or two, if the skill is there it's there!

Old
12-24-2007, 10:28 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
yeah this is the most talented player out of sweden ever at that age. At 16 years old you're not very old. Impressive as hell.

Old
12-25-2007, 12:32 PM
An Ape called Yoko

OMG, whenever Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi are being brought up, someone starts with some stupid Rajalahype which is only unfair to Toni himself. Why? I feel sorry for him, because he is not even a safebet to be a firstrounder. Rajala hasn´t even played U20-hockey this whole season! Come on... this is plain ridiculous. I feel sorry for the kid...

I don´t think Rajala would even be completely sure to be a top5 for the 2009th NHL-draft in Sweden (besides Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi you have Victor Hedman, Anton Lander, William Wallén, Jacob Josefsson, David Rundblad, Tim Erixon, Anton Mylläri, Ludwig Eriksson, Peter Andersson etc which are all potential firstrounders.. we are talking a sick swedish draft in 2009)

Last edited by An Ape called Yoko: 12-25-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old
12-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Garl

Quote:
I don´t think Rajala would even be completely sure to be a top5 for the 2009th NHL-draft in Sweden (besides Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi you have Victor Hedman, Anton Lander, William Wallén, Jacob Josefsson, David Rundblad, Tim Erixon, Anton Mylläri, Ludwig Eriksson, Peter Andersson etc which are all potential firstrounders.. we are talking a sick swedish draft in 2009)
Casper Carning, Patrik Cehlin, Alexander Uhrbom, Marcus Johansson and Henrik Bjorklund aswell.

Old
12-25-2007, 12:56 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Casper Carning, Patrik Cehlin, Alexander Uhrbom, Marcus Johansson and Henrik Bjorklund aswell.
You are quite right I forgot abou them.. especially Urbom which has impressed me greatly.

Old
12-25-2007, 07:34 PM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ape called Yoko View Post
You are quite right I forgot abou them.. especially Urbom which has impressed me greatly.

I did, just for fun, put together a Team Sweden for WJC 2011. And I think I almost wet my pants...
I've never ever seen such a deep Swedish team, it's amazing talent all over. And the 2010 team would not be that far behind...

WJC2011

MV:
Johan Gustavsson 1992
Robin Lehner 1991
Alexander Jirhage 1991

B:
Anton Mylläri 1991
Tim Erixon 1991
Oliver Ekman-Larsson 1991
Peter Andersson 1991
Richard Blidstrand 1992
Adam Larsson 1992
----
Christian Folin 1991
Simon Löf 1991
Carl Ackered 1991
Kalle Johansson 1993

F:
Magnus Pääjärvi 1991
Anton Lander 1991
Ludwig Karlsson 1991
Casper Carning 1991
Patrik Cehlin 1991
Jacob Josefsson 1991
William Wallén 1991
Alexander Lagerström 1991
Adam Pettersson 1992
Carl Klingberg 1991
Jakob Berglund 1991
Gabriel Landeskog 1992
-----
Jonathan Johansson 1991
Victor Öhman 1992
Victor Hertzberg 1991

Pääjärvi Lander Carning

Cehlin Josefsson Wallén

Landeskog Lagerström L. Karlsson

J. Berglund A. Pettersson Klingberg

Ekman-Larsson Mylläri

T.Erixon P. Andersson

A. Larsson Blidstrand

Ackered

Jirhage
J. Gustavsson

Old
12-26-2007, 03:34 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ape called Yoko View Post
Rajala hasn´t even played U20-hockey this whole season!
That says a lot about your knowledge of Rajala. He has played allmost full season U-20 SM-liiga(missing couple of games because of injury). 20games 21points. So I think you should keep speaking about swedes, if you clearly don't know anything about finns...

And I think only1 hyping in here Rajala have been finnerican. Another hyping, is you, swedes over Rajala that's. Which is obviously unfair to swedes, when you don't know anything about Rajala.

Last edited by Joretus: 12-26-2007 at 04:06 AM.
Old
12-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Fredrik

I have never seen Rajala so I cannot really comment on him but what Joretus says about size is so true. Pääjärvi plays in the SEL because of his size. It doesn't mean he is not talented or whatever. It just means that because his size he is able to hold his own there unlike most players his age. I would argue that Victor Hedman got the chance too because of size. Again, it doesn't mean they are not talented. I just don't think they would have played in the SEL if they were built like Rajala or William Wallén.

Old
12-26-2007, 04:16 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I have never seen Rajala so I cannot really comment on him but what Joretus says about size is so true. Pääjärvi plays in the SEL because of his size. It doesn't mean he is not talented or whatever. It just means that because his size he is able to hold his own there unlike most players his age. I would argue that Victor Hedman got the chance too because of size. Again, it doesn't mean they are not talented. I just don't think they would have played in the SEL if they were built like Rajala or William Wallén.
Good that at least couple of ppl understand me and my english

Old
01-13-2008, 04:34 PM
An Ape called Yoko

The official Magnus Svensson Pääjärvi thread

A top10 pick in the 2009 NHL-draft? Definately. Check out the move he almost scored on. 16-years old in SEL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFYCZUIJx0

Old
01-13-2008, 06:31 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

The guy is oozing with talent.

Old
01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
he is just sick....

he is a player i would love for the wings to draft, but sadly. he will go way to high...

Old
01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Le Golie

Beautiful. So strong and creative for 16.

Old
01-13-2008, 06:51 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Paajarvi is my favorite prospect right now; I've been following him as much as is possible for me, for a good while now. I hope everything continues along as is; the kid is gonna be great. Amazing for a kid his age.

Old
01-13-2008, 06:54 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
Paajarvi is my favorite prospect right now; I've been following him as much as is possible for me, for a good while now. I hope everything continues along as is; the kid is gonna be great. Amazing for a kid his age.
Who would you compare him too?

Old
01-13-2008, 06:59 PM
BritSabre

That move was on Ronnie Pettersson, so not exactly the most mobile of defensemen, but there are few more experienced.

Old
01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Who would you compare him too?
Tough to say... he's got great hockey sense, if you can quantify that in some way. He has that innate ability to stash the puck, when around the net as well, but as much as this sounds like a Phil Esposito, he's also generally super-talented, as displayed in this video. What makes him even more attractive is that obviously he's playing against men, but also has the size to have little problems with North American style of play.

His style of play reminds me a bit of Datsyuk, though I think he projects to be more of a goal-scorer than Dats (although Datsyuk has been on track for more than 30 a few times, now), and a bit less of a playmaker, though he does have a superior playmaking element to his game.

Closed Thread