HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (2009, 10th overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Fire Wilson

vCash: 500
That move reminded me of this....

Old
01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
Tough to say... he's got great hockey sense, if you can quantify that in some way. He has that innate ability to stash the puck, when around the net as well, but as much as this sounds like a Phil Esposito, he's also generally super-talented, as displayed in this video. What makes him even more attractive is that obviously he's playing against men, but also has the size to have little problems with North American style of play.

His style of play reminds me a bit of Datsyuk, though I think he projects to be more of a goal-scorer than Dats (although Datsyuk has been on track for more than 30 a few times, now), and a bit less of a playmaker, though he does have a superior playmaking element to his game.
Good comparison. I was impressed by him in the WJC.

Old
01-13-2008, 10:01 PM
rcduthie77

I would give just about anythin for this guy to end up on the Bruins...Thanks to some relatives I've seen every game he's played this year via DVD and he is just unreal. He'll be a generational star the second he steps foot on NHL ice.

Old
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
wings5

Tons of speed and skill. In his little ice time at the WJC he looked like the most dangerous player on the ice at times.

Old
01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

I think that's the most replays I've ever seen for a not goal.

Old
01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

you guys may not agree, but he reminds me a bit of Rick Nash since both are just great at slowing down the play and then all of a sudden exploding with a move...both seem to like to drag the puck during their moves...both are great at protecting the puck when need be...both can score. similar size too

Old
01-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
3 thoughts come to mind.

1) Ales Hemsky makes that move a couple times every game, but doesn't lose the puck.
2) If MSP always keeps his head down like that, he's going to get killed.
3) He's 16 years old and playing in the SEL... that really is impressive. Outside of Hedman, does it happen often?

Old
01-18-2008, 05:21 PM
LennyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
3 thoughts come to mind.

1) Ales Hemsky makes that move a couple times every game, but doesn't lose the puck.
3) He's 16 years old and playing in the SEL... that really is impressive. Outside of Hedman, does it happen often?
it sure is impressive. it should be mentioned though that MSPs father is an agent and has been instrumental in MSPs early SEL career. He seems to be able to handle it though...

Old
01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
3 thoughts come to mind.

All true, but Ales Hemsky is also renowned as one of the better puck handlers in the league, and he's also an NHL'er reaching his prime.

Nothing against Hemsky though, I love him; I'm just explaining the disparity.

Paajarvi will be a welcomed addition to any team that gets him, and he'll be a great player in this league, if all continues accordingly.

Old
01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Dempsey

vCash: 50
This kid has an amazing skill level. I remember hearing about him on HFBoards even a couple of years ago when he was only 14.

Ingen respekt

Old
01-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
it sure is impressive. it should be mentioned though that MSPs father is an agent and has been instrumental in MSPs early SEL career. He seems to be able to handle it though...
And quite a lot of 16y doesn't have size to play it against men in seniors.

Old
01-23-2008, 11:56 PM
JFA87-66-99

I have been reading alot about him the last 2 years or so. He seems like he will be the real deal. A potential superstar in the NHL. How does he compare to Finland's Toni Rajala? Is he better?

Old
01-24-2008, 12:35 AM
JFA87-66-99

I cant wait till this kid gets to the NHL. Does he have more potential than Nicklas backstrom fromthe capitals?

Old
01-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Oedi

Swedish Golden Generation part deux?

Old
01-24-2008, 01:31 AM
JFA87-66-99

Magnus Svennson Paarjarvi. Is he a franchise forward. Does he compare to Forsberg when he was 16 years old. I read somewhere that he was a prodigy not seen in Sweden since Forsberg.

Old
01-24-2008, 06:14 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

JFA87-66-99: If i remember this correctly Svensson-Pääjärvi is better than Forsberg/Sundin and so on at the same age (acording to some "expert" that actually does work with hockey for a living, i forget which one it was though)

How ever you see it he's up there, if this kid is this good at 16 in a country where players usually doesn't bloom until their early 20s you can just imagine how good he can become.

If he keeps developing he will become a franchise forward no doubt, but please remember that he is still young and rarely does everything work out as planed. He does have that potential though.

Old
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedi View Post
something like that....

Old
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
JFA87-66-99

Dr-nix. Wow Paarjarvi is better than Forsberg/Sundin when they were the same age. So he has the potential to be one of the greatest swedish players of all-time. Thanks for the insight.

Old
01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedi View Post

Yes, I think so. For the OG 2010 a lesser version of our Golden generation will have to carry us, with players born around 1980. That includes Sedins, Pahlsson, Z, Juice, Tallinder, Nik Kronwall and Henrik Lundqvist.
Not too shabby but I think the generation born around 1990 will be the real new Golden generation. They will probably include players like:

G: Enroth, Markstrom

D: Nik Hjalmarsson, Stralman, Edler, Victor Hedman, Anton Myllari, Adam Larsson

F: Niklas Backstrom, Dick Axelsson, Patrik Berglund, Mikael Backlund, Tedenby, Paajarvi-Svensson, Anton Lander, William Wallen

And a lot more possible candidates...

Old
01-25-2008, 03:23 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Dr-nix. Wow Paarjarvi is better than Forsberg/Sundin when they were the same age. So he has the potential to be one of the greatest swedish players of all-time. Thanks for the insight.
He has the potential to be as good as Forsberg for example, I doubt that he will reach that level though. There's a huge step from being good to become a superstar.

Old
01-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza View Post
He has the potential to be as good as Forsberg for example, I doubt that he will reach that level though. There's a huge step from being good to become a superstar.
I dont know about that, or I think he absolutely dont got potential to be as good as Forsberg, or in other words become the best in the world.

He just isnt as explosive as AO, Crosby and the likes, nor is he a great playmaker.

I think Paajarvi in comparision with the best, like Forsberg, Jagr, AO, Crosby and co, is far behind.

He is on level with a Phil Kessel IMO. Can become a nice 75-80 pt player.

Old
01-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I dont know about that, or I think he absolutely dont got potential to be as good as Forsberg, or in other words become the best in the world.

He just isnt as explosive as AO, Crosby and the likes, nor is he a great playmaker.

I think Paajarvi in comparision with the best, like Forsberg, Jagr, AO, Crosby and co, is far behind.

He is on level with a Phil Kessel IMO. Can become a nice 75-80 pt player.
Dude, he is 16! If that doesn't tell you something, you may want to rethink your scouting career.
Power has to do with coordination and muscle development, and his playmaking ability has to do with coordination and experience. You are comparing him to adults, and this guy may still be riding his moped to practice.

Old
02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Dude, he is 16! If that doesn't tell you something, you may want to rethink your scouting career.
Power has to do with coordination and muscle development, and his playmaking ability has to do with coordination and experience. You are comparing him to adults, and this guy may still be riding his moped to practice.
Hehe, you wanna bet Pääjärvi isnt build like AO in 2 years?

Seriously though, sure you got a point. But I don't see that potential to compete with the best in the World, with the likes of AO and Crosby. I just don't.

I don't think his hockeysense is "amazing", and thats by far the easiest way to become one of the best; physical specimens like AO and Big E dont come around often...

Pääjärvi is great, the 3rd best prospect we have had since the 1998 (1980s), but not at the same level as AO, Crosby and co.

Old
02-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hehe, you wanna bet Pääjärvi isnt build like AO in 2 years?

Seriously though, sure you got a point. But I don't see that potential to compete with the best in the World, with the likes of AO and Crosby. I just don't.

I don't think his hockeysense is "amazing", and thats by far the easiest way to become one of the best; physical specimens like AO and Big E dont come around often...

Pääjärvi is great, the 3rd best prospect we have had since the 1998 (1980s), but not at the same level as AO, Crosby and co.
Hmmm... Well, beer didn't build AO's excellent body, nor Crosby's. I know "juice" isn't hard to come by in Sweden, but considering the attention MP has drawn to himself in a small country like Sweden, he'd be caught in no time.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the "hockey sense." At least not with AO. That boy is a one-way deal, TO THE NET. Nothing wrong with that by any means, but my point is that MP will not need to apologize for himself when the time comes for him to make the jump, and I truly believe that he will be the #1 Swedish player as well as one of the absolute premier players in the world when he gets older... maybe not in two years, but with good fortune, his career will last longer than that.

Old
02-03-2008, 02:59 AM
backs4mvp

How would you compare Paajarvi to Backstrom, what type of player is he? I love my Swedish prospects

From watching Backstrom, he's adopted very quickly to the NA style of hockey. He's been great along the boards, great vision, extremely patient with the puck, and very rarely giving it up in the offensive zone. He's already playing like a pro, if points told the entire story on how well a player is doing, Backstrom would be at 55-60.

Closed Thread