HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

new shutdown line?

Old
01-13-2008, 08:50 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
new shutdown line?

anyone else notice how hossa-drury-moore was matched up against the koivu line all night?

i like it, that line has shutdown potential.

also two big forwards with drury is probably the way to go.

i don't have problems with the 4th line, bu they should never be matched against a team's top line, and should be getting maybe 7 minutes a night as a line.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
when the team is healthy, Hossa-Betts-Moore = shutdown 4th line.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
when the team is healthy, Hossa-Betts-Moore = shutdown 4th line.
umm i like it but at the same time when everyone is healthy will there be enough spots for everyone??

straka gomez jagr
Avery drury Shanny
dawes dubinsky prucha
Hossa Betts Moore

umm hate to say it but renney wont stop playing hollweg and Orr

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Fletch

Drury's line...

faced top lines often earlier in the year (with Cally and Prucha). Remember, other teams' top lines are out there for 7-10 minutes beyond Betts' line (sometimes they do not face them, sometimes they spend time against fourth line, and very often they don't play the requisite amount of minutes togo against top lines because they are not out there).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
NYR Viper

i wouls love these lines for the playoffs....

straka-gomez-jagr
shanahan-drury-avery(to match-up against the other teams #1 lines)
dawes/callahan-dubinsky-callahan/prucha(callahan may stay down but if he does come up he will push one of these players down)
hossa-betts-hollweg

when it cpomes playoff time, hollweg's physical presence will be needed and he is defensivley responsible....with a 4th line like that the rangers could match that line with other teams #1 lines to give the second line some better playing time.....overall, the rangers could even out the playing time if neded in a long series to get the edge.....but this only happens if the team stays healthy

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Larry Melnyk

Once Shanny is ready, Moore should be sent back down to the AHL....

Recently, the HBO line was the only line that could play a lick of defense and play against top lines (half the time)...and they were shutting down just about every one.....But it's good to have two lines that can do the job, especially when matchups might favor one over the other..

I also don't think Renney touches the HBO line and, with everybody healthy, the one that sits will come from Hossa, Prucha and Dawes. Whoever is playing the worst. And that is how it should be.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:32 AM
nickrOck

please don't even tell me you think hossa has any value in this lineup..! the guy belongs bussing tables in applebees.. his hands are made of stone, and i think he brings nothing to the table.. my opinion all he's doing is blocking a youngster say dawes from staying up with the team, or prucha from getting more minutes..

the 1st line of is set in stone more or less.. although i'm not completely sold on shanny and avery playing on the same line w/. drury, i feel something is missing from that unit.. i think there needs to be a speed element on the line.. say prucha if he gets going offensively and renney opens his eyes.. but time will tell.. i just feel the 2nd line needs more balance..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Vatchern

I agree, we need a new shutdown line, but that can't be out second line. It has to be our 4th line. Hollweg and Orr is not cutting it right now. They need to go, now.

Callahan-Betts-Moore sounds like a good shutdown line to me.

Dawes-Dubi-Prucha should be putting in more goals imo.

Avery-Drury-Shanahan should be putting up ALOT more goals. The second line is what is bringing us down. I think our second line is getting the oppertunitys, but are not scoring on them. If they start scoring, we win more often.

Straka-Gomez-Jagr is playing great hockey. I've seen Jagr being the 1st forward back into the defensive zone at times backchecking, which is very unlike him. Jagr and Gomez is playing great, but we need straka to step up.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

true shut down line:

Hossa - Betts - Korpikoski

all 3 are defensively responsible. all 3 kill penalties. all 3 have excellent speed. all 3 have enough offensive talent to actually net a few goals here and there, while still being solid defensively.

just sayin :-/

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
And when Brashear, Fedoruk, etc run all our players who do we look to.. Avery? Dubinski? C'mon.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoZ View Post
And when Brashear, Fedoruk, etc run all our players who do we look to.. Avery? Dubinski? C'mon.
when they do it now, who do we look to? How many fights has Orr had this year? 5? 6? and how many has he actually won? 2?

Old
01-15-2008, 01:54 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Korpikoski has great potential to be top 6 cforward, has talent, very finesse type player. i don't know why you would put him to waste as a shutdown player on a 4th line when he has jere lehtinen written all over him.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Korpikoski has great potential to be top 6 cforward, has talent, very finesse type player. i don't know why you would put him to waste as a shutdown player on a 4th line when he has jere lehtinen written all over him.
because he would start low, and work his way up.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:41 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
because he would start low, and work his way up.
I think he'd be better suited in, like you said, a shutdown role.

I don't see top 6 material in Korpedo, but I fully agree with your idea of a Hossa - Betts - Korpedo line. Seems like a great fourth line right there.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 03:01 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatchern View Post
I agree, we need a new shutdown line, but that can't be out second line. It has to be our 4th line. Hollweg and Orr is not cutting it right now. They need to go, now.

Callahan-Betts-Moore sounds like a good shutdown line to me.

Dawes-Dubi-Prucha should be putting in more goals imo.

Avery-Drury-Shanahan should be putting up ALOT more goals. The second line is what is bringing us down. I think our second line is getting the oppertunitys, but are not scoring on them. If they start scoring, we win more often.

Straka-Gomez-Jagr is playing great hockey. I've seen Jagr being the 1st forward back into the defensive zone at times backchecking, which is very unlike him. Jagr and Gomez is playing great, but we need straka to step up.
Hollweg and Orr not cutting it on defense?...Yeah, that's why thet have been on ice for two gaols against in the last 14 games...Again, the 4th line ahs been the only line that has conssitenlty done the job over the past 10-15 games...Once the others start doing their job and Holly or orr Starts tanking then maybe you start sitting them,. But holly has been one of the better forwards, since his benching..

Callahan awas a zero offensively and defensively up here and moore is invisible..Both belong in the AHL

Old
01-15-2008, 03:03 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
You're both getting way ahead of yourself...He's an average AHL player now...Once he finds consistency boith ways, then maybe he;s a consideration to be brought up..Thattime isn't now...

Old
01-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
true shut down line:

Hossa - Betts - Korpikoski

all 3 are defensively responsible. all 3 kill penalties. all 3 have excellent speed. all 3 have enough offensive talent to actually net a few goals here and there, while still being solid defensively.

just sayin :-/
In addition, you and som,e fans may want a 4th line like this without any physicality to it, butt the players on the team and the coach surely won't..At the least, the players want one of Holly or Orr to play, and probably both the way they have been playingm which has been well..

Old
01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Fletch

Larry...

technically, Orr's been on the ice for three goals against (he was even in Toronto, but was on the ice for a goal against by Tucker). And if you add a few days it looks a bit worse, but I get your point. The fact that the fourth line plays nearly 10 minutes per game is not the fourth line's fault. They are doing the best they can. Are they a shutdown line? Honestly, I've said this numerous times, but I'd love to see the stats regarding how much time they're actually spending against top lines, compared to other lines on the team. But back to an earlier point: if the PP was working like it should; if Jagr was scoring as he should; if the second line was performing better, there would be less focus on the Betts' line and their ice time and lack of production.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote