HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Grade our day 1 draft day

Old
06-21-2008, 12:35 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Grade our day 1 draft day

Wouldn't go so far as to give us an A+, I personally don't think we needed to give up the 40th to get Wilson, most likely we could have had him at our original position but I digress.

I was completely shocked we dumped Mase's contr... er sorry, traded Mason to a team, let alone a division rival. Most of you know I was never a big fan of Mason's play. Great team player and a great guy, just Vokoun was always my favorite and I wasn't happy when we traded him and handed Mason the reigns.

I do like Ellis, partly because I watched him quite a bit when we played for Idaho in the ECHL. Amazing we signed him for what we did and while I don't think he's a 1A type goalie, with Rinne as his backup we should be fine in net this season.

As for our selections, didn't really follow the prospects much this draft year. Wilson has good size and good god did we actually draft a forward in the first round?

As for the goalie selection, don't know anything about him although it looks like a BPA choice.

Overall I give us a B+. We got rid of Mason's salary and re-signed Ellis. Drafted some solid picks and didn't lose in any other areas. Had we re-signed Weber and made a trade for a top 6 forward I would have been more happy, but I'm still happy with how today worked out anyways.

Your thoughts my fellow Preds fans?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:28 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I'm happy.

I would give it a B for the same reasons. We solved our goalie situation, drafted good players. We didn't give up a whole lot to move picks and we're stockpiling for next years draft.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:50 AM
braindead

Tend to agree. B++ perhaps. I didn't like giving up the #40 but hard to know what was going on. My guess is NYI had other offers to trade down and we were at risk of losing both Wilson and Boedker. Poile took the safer path with Wilson and he seems like he could actually have a shot at making the jump to the nhl this year. When I heard the trade, I was hoping for Boedker.

I couldn't believe that the mock drafts that had us taking a goalie were right. Maybe its Finley-itis but I get a sickly feeling when we draft a goalie this high. I did like trading down to do it since he pretty clearly was going to be available. Like most picks, the key is for him to pan out-- I don't mind having extra goalie assets.

Overall, two very good picks and I'm happy with what we got but I can't help feeling the slightest bit disappointed at the moment with what we didn't get.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Michael Scofield

A because of the depth in the first round, and big trades going down

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I actually think Wilson WOULD have went before our pick. I suspected he was going to be drafted prior to our pick for quite awhile now. There has been a TON of buzz about the Islanders loving him, and I think they moved down with the thoughts that we would take Boedeker and Phoenix would take Myers. They were wrong. I truly believe they missed out on their player. My only surprise was that we had Wilson rated higher than Boedeker. That said, I'm extremely pleased to bring Colin Wilson in. He is big, strong, mature, a leader, defensively responsible, and gifted offensively....he is a complete package and probably the most NHL ready forward in the draft (Save for Stamkos).

Pickard and Wilson are both Big! I'm loving that!

I still think it is extraordinarily odd for us to draft a goalie two years in a row....each time landing the top rated goalie (Smith in the second, Pickard here at 18). Compound that with Dekanich being a stud in the NCAA and Rinne finally going to crack the NHL lineup.....it just seems strange to me. I'm going to hope this means we have him rated VERY highly.

One final thing: Props to Poile for moving up and getting the forward he really liked. This is what we have needed him to do for the past several years. He got it done this year, and it should work out very well for the Predators.

Last edited by Enoch: 06-21-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:50 AM
RollingPredFan

I'm certainly no expert but so far dumping Mason's salary, getting Ellis signed for a reasonable contract, trading up and getting a big forward they coveted... trading down and still getting a top ranked goalie, (didn't see that coming) sounds good to me. I kinda hope we can trade back up in the 2nd round, we have some extra picks and there are supposedly a lot of decent forwards on the board.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
B+

Earlier in the day I was hoping that we would pull off Filatov but I changed my mind when I saw him take the stage. he looked like a tiny tiny boy amongst men up there. I dont doubt his skill at all, but he looks like he is one NHL Dman check away from being broken in half.

It's never a bad strategy to have a monopoly on the best blue chip goalie prospects either I guess.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:16 AM
tulsytrid1

I would probably go with a B+ as well; getting rid of Mace was great; I can't believe we got rid of that contract. Losing the 40th was tough, but if Poile had Wilson and Bodecker rated a whole lot higher than Hogdson then I guess it was worth it. We essentially traded Vokoun for Wilson in a salary dump situation. Good job by Poile. Would have given him an A, but picking a goaltender in the first round makes me a bit nervous.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
I would probably go with a B+ as well; getting rid of Mace was great; I can't believe we got rid of that contract. Losing the 40th was tough, but if Poile had Wilson and Bodecker rated a whole lot higher than Hogdson then I guess it was worth it. We essentially traded Vokoun for Wilson in a salary dump situation. Good job by Poile. Would have given him an A, but picking a goaltender in the first round makes me a bit nervous.
Wilson and Spaling.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:47 PM
DManPreds11

I really wasn't pleased with giving up the 40th pick just to move up 2 spots and grab Wilson. My thinking was there were 3 really good prospects with us only 2 picks away. Poile obviously wanted Wilson bad but should've stayed the course and thought we're still going to get a really good player no matter who falls to us at 9th. I thought a 2nd round pick was too much at worst we'd got Cody Hodgson which some say is NHL ready or Joshua Bailey which is a smaller version of Wilson with more offensive skill. Thank being said I really wanted Mikkel Boedker or Wilson so overall I'm happy with our 1st selection. I really was suprised with Pickard but after I researched the guy it's a solid pick, although I really wanted Mattias Tedenby at 18. Small guy that would be our next Sully, comparible to St. Louis. Can't wait to see if Wilson can get some time up in the bigs next season. GO PREDS!!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
oreilly22

I am just loving the Wilson pick. That guy is going to be something really special. He's got some great highlights from BU. We also picked the goalie who we felt was the best in the draft, so I'll give the first day of the draft an A+. The second day was filled with stocking up for next year's loaded draft and a few players that could turn out to be ok. I'll give day 2 a B. All in all an easy A for the whole draft mainly centered around the amazing pick of Colin Wilson.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
dulzhok

Time will tell if Pole and scouts did their homework right. However, it appears to me to be another "safe" 1st round, similar to picks like Hartnell, Upshall, Hamhuis, Suter, etc.

Giving up the 40th is a lot, especially since it looks like he would've been at our pick anyway.

Jokinen- There goes the dream of a having a established 1st line player in his prime on our team. We could've easily beat that offer for Jokinen. Adding to the pain, is that he goes to Pheonx, a team that could easily overtake us next year for a playoff spot.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:56 PM
oreilly22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Time will tell if Pole and scouts did their homework right. However, it appears to me to be another "safe" 1st round, similar to picks like Hartnell, Upshall, Hamhuis, Suter, etc.

Giving up the 40th is a lot, especially since it looks like he would've been at our pick anyway.

Jokinen- There goes the dream of a having a established 1st line player in his prime on our team. We could've easily beat that offer for Jokinen. Adding to the pain, is that he goes to Pheonx, a team that could easily overtake us next year for a playoff spot.
All the teams will say that they got the player that they wanted, but it's an entire other thing to actually get the player they wanted. Gretzky said pretty much the same thing Poile said as far as what they wanted in the draft: to get bigger up the middle. Poile got what he wanted, the yotes settled for what was left. Also the Islanders would have not picked Bailey there if no team offered them to trade down. it's likely that the nucks also wanted to trade into that same spot, but weren't willing to give up what the Islanders may have wanted. Btw, contrary to what Phoenix apparently believes, you actually do need a defense to win games. They have got to make a splash in fa or make another trade, that is the only way they make the playoffs. Right now the Coyotes are essentially Florida circa 06-07 season with a little more offense and a little less defense.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
All the teams will say that they got the player that they wanted, but it's an entire other thing to actually get the player they wanted. Gretzky said pretty much the same thing Poile said as far as what they wanted in the draft: to get bigger up the middle. Poile got what he wanted, the yotes settled for what was left. Also the Islanders would have not picked Bailey there if no team offered them to trade down. it's likely that the nucks also wanted to trade into that same spot, but weren't willing to give up what the Islanders may have wanted. Btw, contrary to what Phoenix apparently believes, you actually do need a defense to win games. They have got to make a splash in fa or make another trade, that is the only way they make the playoffs. Right now the Coyotes are essentially Florida circa 06-07 season with a little more offense and a little less defense.
I agree with the first half of your paragraph. Teams always say they wanted exactly who they got. But thats usually just standard lines they give the media. Wilson would have been gone at 9. We made the right move. And giving up #40 is pretty standard for that kind of move. It was even I believe. But totally worth it to get the guy we were after.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:28 PM
RaiderDoug

I'll add another B+. I think Wilson would have been there at #9. If not, certainly one of Hodgson, Boedker would have been there. None of the 3 would have been bad at #9.

I also might be in the minority, but I like the Pickard pick. He was pretty much the consensus #1 goaltender in the draft, and with Rinne, Smith, Ellis, Pickard and maybe even Dekanich, I like our odds of finding a long term #1 out of those 5. Besides, there really wasn't any forward out there at #15 or #18 that I thought we should have picked instead.

We went into the day with the 2 picks, got the #2 ranked center and the #1 ranked goaltender. Not too shabby.

I never thought we could unload Mason for anything after the way he played, but to get Mason and his 3 million moved and Ellis signed for just over half that, I like it. Trading him to St. Louis is a big gamble though - if Mase returns to form, we just helped a division rival make the playoffs, if not, then they have a backup goalie eating 3 mil of cap space.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm fine with what Poile did for two reasons:

1) Wilson is what this team needs now and in the future. We need a strong, power-forward prospect. We need the leadership, the work-ethic, and the two-way game.

2) Poile finally did what we have been calling for him to do. MOVE UP and get the forward if you have to....make the board work for you rather than to wait and take the BPA if the forward you need is projected to go earlier.

Besides, I think the Islanders took a gamble hoping Wilson would fall to 9, and they lost. I don't believe Bailey was their target all along. For weeks, the pre-draft love and rumors all had them coveting Wilson.....

Old
06-22-2008, 08:56 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm fine with what Poile did for two reasons:

1) Wilson is what this team needs now and in the future. We need a strong, power-forward prospect. We need the leadership, the work-ethic, and the two-way game.

2) Poile finally did what we have been calling for him to do. MOVE UP and get the forward if you have to....make the board work for you rather than to wait and take the BPA if the forward you need is projected to go earlier.

Besides, I think the Islanders took a gamble hoping Wilson would fall to 9, and they lost. I don't believe Bailey was their target all along. For weeks, the pre-draft love and rumors all had them coveting Wilson.....
I could not agree with the second point more. Yeah, in our previous drafts, our first pick and the BPA might not have always lined up in a manner that fit our organizational needs. I think Poile "worked" the first round a little more by moving up for Wilson and moving down for Chet Atkins and trying to best align value, BPA, and our needs.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:30 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

I would give us an A for the first day. We got bigger and better up the middle with Wilson (We'll see how good of a move it was in a few years when Wilson starts playing for us), who was the top powerforward in the draft and is exactly what we needed in the system. We also got something else that we could've used, though was not necessarily vital: a clear-cut franchise goaltender. Pickard is head and shoulders above Dekanich, Smith and Engren in terms of potential and upside. He's a better overall player than Smith or Engren already, maybe even Dekanich.

The second day... B-, maybe a C+. Lindbäck sounds a lot like Rinne and could be a solid pick. I'm skeptical on Stefishen but if he's put on ten pounds since the start of the season (he started the year at 170 and I've seen multiple sites list him at 180) he's got my attention at the Ohio State University. Foss could be the decent sized stay-at-home guy we needed in the system if he keeps filling out his frame. Not sold on Läjunen just yet but I'm intrigued since he's coming out of the same system as Pihlström.

The killer for me was trading up to get Josi. I would have no problem drafting Josi if he was available when we were scheduled to pick at 47th, but trading up to get a guy we have a few hundred of is not my idea of using assets effectively. Don't get me wrong, I think Josi will be a solid player, but we have so many puck-movers already, it's kinda redundant and takes away our chances at two solid forwards. And also, when we traded up, Yann Sauvé was still on the board and would've been perfect for what we needed to round out our defensive stable. Poile better have a deal up his sleeve that will justify this pick, because he sure needs it.

I also don't understand why Poile totally traded out of the third and fourth rounds, or how he couldn't get more for the 15th overall pick from Ottawa. Get a second or third rounder this year as well, and if they back out, you go ahead and draft Pickard.

I give our overall draft a B. We got several players who show promise, but I'm not sure we really addressed our farm system's needs beyond the first round. (powerforwards, physical defensemen).

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I could not agree with the second point more. Yeah, in our previous drafts, our first pick and the BPA might not have always lined up in a manner that fit our organizational needs. I think Poile "worked" the first round a little more by moving up for Wilson and moving down for Chet Atkins and trying to best align value, BPA, and our needs.
Intentional error or not, this is why we had to draft Pickard: a guy named Chet has to play for the Preds. Its like... Jed O.... Vern Fiddler...Bubba B... it was meant to be.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
but we have so many puck-movers already
Based on recent quotes from Poile, it seems his "vision" of the state of the game is that defensemen must be mobile and able to move the puck effectively. Not saying I agree with this vision, but he does seem to be drafting very much in accordance with this view in his mind.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
Based on recent quotes from Poile, it seems his "vision" of the state of the game is that defensemen must be mobile and able to move the puck effectively. Not saying I agree with this vision, but he does seem to be drafting very much in accordance with this view in his mind.
While I think that's valid, you have to have defensemen who can play physical to complement them. Otherwise we'll have 6 or 7 small, fast defensemen who rarely play the body at all. We'll get pushed around like South Side shop owners under Capone.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:38 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
While I think that's valid, you have to have defensemen who can play physical to complement them. Otherwise we'll have 6 or 7 small, fast defensemen who rarely play the body at all. We'll get pushed around like South Side shop owners under Capone.
Dug deep for that one didn't you?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
If you look at Detroit, how does that not describe their defensemen? Sure, Kronwall will occasionally abandon all defensive assignments and hurl himself at an opponent praying for contact, but he's hardly physical on most shifts. Yet despite this lack of size, no one was effective in pushing the Wings around on the backend. If your defensemen are good enough with the puck, they can often either avoid contact or make you pay for delivering it.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Osprey

I can't really add a grade, since I'm not familiar with the players taken outside the 1st round, but I'm really pleased with the Wilson pick. I agree that he's just what this team needs. I see him as being the intended replacement for Arnott. Wilson should easily be a Predator before Arnott's contract runs out, so it'll be nice to have the one mentoring the other.

I also like that Wilson has a full year of college under his belt, a rarity for draftees. It'll be interesting to see if he returns to BU or signs with the Preds this Summer and goes pro. I would think that the latter would be in his best interests and, certainly, the Preds'. One year in the AHL and he could be ready for the Preds' 09-10 lineup; cross your fingers, at least.

Finally, from everything that I've read, Chet Pickard sounds like a good pick. Sure, the Preds have a pretty good goalie pipeline, already, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade it; goaltending is the most critical position, afterall.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Does anyone have a summary of the picks we got next year?

While this years was top heavy with defensemen, next years draft is supposed to be "deeper"

I'm very happy with the way the draft went. My only complaint is the Josi pick. Do you think maybe the guy we wanted at 38 was gone after the trade?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote