HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Bourret

Old
01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Enstrom39

vCash: 500
Alex Bourret

About a year ago the Rangers and Thrashers exchanged Pascal Dupuis for Alex Bourret. I lot of Ranger fans came over to our board to tell us how we got ripped off. I'm still liking what the Thrashers got for their part. The question is are Ranger fans still happy? Looks like Bourret is back to struggling again in the minors.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
About a year ago the Rangers and Thrashers exchanged Pascal Dupuis for Alex Bourret. I lot of Ranger fans came over to our board to tell us how we got ripped off. I'm still liking what the Thrashers got for their part. The question is are Ranger fans still happy? Looks like Bourret is back to struggling again in the minors.
Rangers traded a pending UFA player they didnt want for a prospect with a huge upside. The kid is young, still promising.

Only time will tell

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:35 PM
darrenturcotte#8

I disagree. looks like Dupuis will play more games for the Rangers then Bourret as Bourret looks like he's never going to make. Wasn't a bad risk to take by Sather, but the Thrashers will win this 1.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
DontStepanMe

He had at least one concussion this year, and I'm pretty sure another injury. If he can stay healthy than he might be able to develop properly.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
eco's bones

I would say Bourret is still a very good prospect and that the deal we made with Atlanta is and was well worth the price we paid. Having said that though Alex has not played very well this year and looks like he has at least another season in the AHL ahead of him.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Nich

he injured his shoulder during summer training.

no need to be columbus and rush every prospect. either way i still think we win this one

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
shady8277

I would so much rather take the chance with Bourett then keep Hall

shady8277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
he injured his shoulder during summer training.

no need to be columbus and rush every prospect. either way i still think we win this one
agreed. Patience is needed many times.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Of course. Bourret could never play in the NHL and it would still be a great trade for the Rangers. They got rid of a player who had no spot on this team and got a very good prospect in return. The chance that Bourret becomes a successful NHLer is/was worth more to the Rangers than Dupuis.

01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Of course. Bourret could never play in the NHL and it would still be a great trade for the Rangers. They got rid of a player who had no spot on this team and got a very good prospect in return. The chance that Bourret becomes a successful NHLer is/was worth more to the Rangers than Dupuis.
Upside of the trade: We traded a UFA type of player that is in surplus during FA every year for a career 2nd or 3rd liner.

Downside of the trade: We traded a UFA type of player that is in surplus during FA every year for a career minor leaguer.

The Rangers can not possibly lose this trade. They can either win the trade or not win it. No losing involved. You make that type of trade as many times as possible.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
I thought it was about time that ATL fans threw us back some crow.

I would still do the trade again, but Atlanta fans should, contrary to what NYR fans tell them, feel no embarassment about this trade (the Coburn trade however...). If I had to declare a winner right now, it would be Atlanta.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:31 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Agreed. It also doesn't hurt to have a decent player down in the AHL, someone has to fill the roster spots down there. What the Rangers got was depth in their system and thats better than nothing which is what you get when someone leaves as a UFA. I'd say win win.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
NYR Viper

i think bourret still has the possibility to be a top two line player.....and a player that is a nagging, hard-nosed type of player that is annoying to play against....he is also physical..i say i would make the trade over again as well

p.s.-he may still be part of a trade to another team......for a higher prospect

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Choice

Quote:
Yup. Not as if the Rangers miss Dupuis as all, so no big loss even if Bourret never plays a game for them.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
HockeyBurd*

It's not a matter of being happy or not. The Rangers made the right type of trade they needed to make. Going for prospects is always a risky proposition. Especially when your scouting staff isn't especially good. Bourret isn't doing very well and may very well not make it. But it was still a good risk to take. And time will still tell. 5 years from now the Rangers may be VERY happy with the trade. Right now it's not even an micro thought on their minds.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Enstrom39

I believe that the Thrashers also received a 3rd round pick from NYR as well.

Old
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
So. What exactly is your intention here? If you're happy with Dupuis, fine. I'm quite happy with the deal. So what are you really trying to achieve with this thread?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
So. What exactly is your intention here? If you're happy with Dupuis, fine. I'm quite happy with the deal. So what are you really trying to achieve with this thread?
I'm replying to the line of thinking that goes "we gave up nothing because Dupuis was an UFA" by simply pointing out that it isn't true, the Rangers gave up a NHL player and a reasonably high pick in this trade.

I think my comments here have been VERY TAME compared to a number of Ranger fans who came to our form and repeatedly told us that our GM was a moron and so forth. Seems like plenty of Ranger fans had opinions about this trade a year ago. I was curious to see if those posters were still so certain about those assertions made a year ago.

Old
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
I believe the pick was later traded and used to select this kid: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/robert_bortuzzo

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 03:50 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
I'm replying to the line of thinking that goes "we gave up nothing because Dupuis was an UFA" by simply pointing out that it isn't true, the Rangers gave up a NHL player and a reasonably high pick in this trade.

I think my comments here have been VERY TAME compared to a number of Ranger fans who came to our form and repeatedly told us that our GM was a moron and so forth. Seems like plenty of Ranger fans had opinions about this trade a year ago. I was curious to see if those posters were still so certain about those assertions made a year ago.
Sooo, you bit your tongue until your team spent a whole day in first place to post this thread. feeling pretty good about your team eh??

You should be very proud of your standings in that killer division.

You came over here in a lame attempt to poke at the Rangers.Now go pat yourself on the back and revel in your mid season glory.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
hlundqvist30*

Umm... your own fans think he is a moron. Seriously, if the Rangers traded Cherapanov to you for Jim Slater and in 2 years Cherry was in the AHL, is Glen Sather now a genius? Forget the Coburn move, or the Tkachuck move, or all of the other brutal moves he has made, because 20 years from now everyone will remember the day Don Waddell got Pascal Dupuis. Quick Dolan, get on the phone with Waddell and sign him to a lifetime deal as GM before Atlanta does it!

Old
01-16-2008, 04:07 PM
dank

i feel like Bourret is the type of player who needs the NHL to do well..

(no idea where that idea came from or why i feel it or if that's even true, but how cool would that be if it were true)

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Sooo, you bit your tongue until your team spent a whole day in first place to post this thread. feeling pretty good about your team eh??

You should be very proud of your standings in that killer division.

You came over here in a lame attempt to poke at the Rangers.Now go pat yourself on the back and revel in your mid season glory.
Now there's the Rangers fans I love so much. Where did I mention the standing? Nowhere.

I'm the one who bit my tongue when your kind ran wild on our board last year spewing forth bile. I stated that Bourret had some character issues and that was why he was dealt but nobody wanted to hear that. So I'm back a year later and with a year's worth of data and I think that the evidence supports my statement.

But if you want me to talk about the Thrashers being Division leader with the third seed I won't stop you

Old
01-16-2008, 04:40 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Now there's the Rangers fans I love so much. Where did I mention the standing? Nowhere.

I'm the one who bit my tongue when your kind ran wild on our board last year spewing forth bile. I stated that Bourret had some character issues and that was why he was dealt but nobody wanted to hear that. So I'm back a year later and with a year's worth of data and I think that the evidence supports my statement.

But if you want me to talk about the Thrashers being Division leader with the third seed I won't stop you
I wasn't gonna go here but....

Remind me what happened last year when you guys were third seed going into the playoffs?

Old
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

No the Rangers gave up nothing because they didn't have a spot for Dupuis.

If you are thrilled with Dupuis, I'm thrilled to hear it. I really don't see why this needs revisiting.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote