HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

we need that one player

Old
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
So then your problem is vocalization. You more or less want people to keep it to themselves. Otherwise, I don't see how a pack of over-emotional fans swooning and calling for Jagr's head on a messageboard can be deemed as unfair. You may be critical of him, but I've only see you become defensive, irrate, and downright furious with people who verbalize their displeasure with our fearless leader, be their remarks intelligent or otherwise. And I've also only seen you defend the guy...at times to the point of obsession. That's your bag, and you're entitled to it. I try to maintain a live and let live policy on this board.

Yawn.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Jagr does have 17 points in his last 14. He's playing well. Is he playing as well as he can? Maybe not, but 17 in 14 is pretty good. He's scoring or getting an assist in every game lately. What the team needs most is the defense and goaltending to step up along with some discipline play. Jagr is far from the problem right now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Fletch

that's very fair, but then perhaps his role should be diminished a bit. Perhaps he shouldn't have been played so much on the PP or at even strength so much to start the season. That's an issue with the coach. On the other end, I can't say if the effort has really been there in the past, or if his skills have diminished that much from last Spring to this Fall. I can't make that judgement. But still, I expected more than him being on pace for 55 goals 1/3 of the way through the season (over the last couple weeks, he's been closer to meeting expectations).

robruckus - I do agree, but somewhere around early December he wasn't producing. The criticism was high and well-deserved. Wasn't he at some crazy number like 4 or 5 goals on the season? On pace for something like 15 goals? That was a bit out of whack. Yeah he's doing better than others, but I think that's expected, and rightfully so (unless his skills have in fact diminished so much that the expectations are way too high, something along the lines that 94 suggested, and perhaps the coach should be blamed for continuously throwing him out there).

As for defense - Jagr scored goals and accumulated in similar systems over the last couple seasons. I don't think that saying it currently works is a good reason for less production. Further, his play on the PP utterly sucked for the amount of PP minutes he was getting, which has zippo to do with the defensive system, and a lot of it was him not getting going and not moving around.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Yawn.

Exactly the response I'd expect from an ignorant fan boy with a Stage IV level of hero worship. "O Jagr, Jagr, wherefore art thou Jagr?"

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:56 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

If we need a trade like an Avery trade every year we are a troubled team.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
If we need a trade like an Avery trade every year we are a troubled team.
my thoughts exactly. That's why I say let this team ride it out 2-3 weeks. If they continue to play poorly blow up the entire team like Hiroshima. Build the team around Gomez, Drury, Dubi, Hank, Tyutin, Staal.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

This team isn't even close to being "one player" away from being a real contender. Plain and simple, this year hasn't worked, the players haven't come together, and the team just doesn't have the right pieces to win. It doesn't mean that they're all bad players, they just haven't played well together. The current configuration needs to be changed. With this team limping along and the number of pending UFAs they have, there is no doubt in my mind that Sather should be selling rather than buying come the trade deadline!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 11:44 PM
shady8277

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
The Rangers don't have a player who can bring you out of your seat..., that young superstar player. That's glaring to me.

Jagr is old, he's done.

ATL-Kovalchuk
PIT- Malkin,Crosby
ANH-Getzlaf
WASH-Ovechkin
BUF-Vanek
EDM-Hesmky
LA-Kopitar
Colombus-Zherdev,Nash

etc, etc , etc

It can be Cherepanov, but we're going to have to wait for him to come over.

Cal.- Iginla
TB. Lecavalier
Ott. Heatley
Min. Gaborik
Van. Sedin twins

shady8277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:37 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that's very fair, but then perhaps his role should be diminished a bit. Perhaps he shouldn't have been played so much on the PP or at even strength so much to start the season. That's an issue with the coach. On the other end, I can't say if the effort has really been there in the past, or if his skills have diminished that much from last Spring to this Fall. I can't make that judgement. But still, I expected more than him being on pace for 55 goals 1/3 of the way through the season (over the last couple weeks, he's been closer to meeting expectations).
With all that happened to JJ (injury, Nylander departure, loss of confidence, etc.) he is still the best player on this team. It might not speak for the team, but that's what it is. As for getting player better then current Jagr, I doubt it is possible even in the future, near or not. Since latter must be obvious, every one and their mothers want Jagr to become the dominant force he once was. Good wish, no more. It is not his fault.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote