HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Roster Jam: Who's out?

Old
01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Roster Jam: Who's out?

With nearly everyone back from injury, our roster is jammed.
What will happen? ...and What would you like to see happen?

Murray on the IR right now, but probably gets sent down.

Lindstrom could be odd man out with Modin and Brassard in the line-up. Would guess they'll keep him up while they see how Freddy's back holds up. Too bad, because he's played well.

Methot surely gets more playing time. Coach was high on him out of camp.
Where does that leave OKT and Duvie ? Methot likely to stay up a while in order to light a fire under these other two.

Shelley? -a lot of healthy scratches.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Macster

I can see us going with the lineup that we seen at the beginning of the year with Glenner and Shelley in the pressbox.

Lindstrom would likely go down simply because he's waiver-exempt. I would personally rather have Joakim in the lineup than Vybes at this point though.

Nash, Peca, Modin, Novotny, Fedorov, Zherdev, Chimera, Malhotra, Fritsche, Vyborny, Brassard and Boll are the 12 forwards.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Waive Duvie.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:11 AM
noodleboy*

I'd think Brassard would be sent back down. Not due to his lack of talent, just giving him some more development time.

I don't think he'll really boost the Jackets' playoff push as much as a more experienced player, however less talented.

Although, if it looks like the BJs are out of the picture later in the season, I can see Brassard getting a full time job with the big club.

noodleboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Pluckfur

Didn't Howson say once Brass was up, he was up for good? Or did he recant that?

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
CBJ 97 61 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
I can see us going with the lineup that we seen at the beginning of the year with Glenner and Shelley in the pressbox.

Lindstrom would likely go down simply because he's waiver-exempt. I would personally rather have Joakim in the lineup than Vybes at this point though.

Nash, Peca, Modin, Novotny, Fedorov, Zherdev, Chimera, Malhotra, Fritsche, Vyborny, Brassard and Boll are the 12 forwards.
Sadly, I'm gonna have to agree with Mac here. As good as Lindstrom has played, he can go back to Syracuse, and that's why he will. I think, however, Lindstrom has played good enough to make it easier to give him a roster spot at the beginning of next season or after the trade deadline. There are jus too many players with one way contracts healthy right now. Hitch and Howson have already said that when Brassard comes up, he's here to stay. This seems to be the most reasonable 12 forwards when everyone is healthy though.

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:30 AM
noodleboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Hmm, I never heard that. I'll take your word for it, though.

noodleboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:34 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Hitch mentioned on the coaches show that Howson had told him that. That's the only "official" place I've seen that said.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Hitch mentioned on the coaches show that Howson had told him that. That's the only "official" place I've seen that said.
Thanks, cydawg. I'm trying to remember where I heard/read it. If you've only heard it on Hitch's show ... well, it could be that I read the quote in one of JacketFan's (most excellent) HitchShow reviews. (I have a bad habit of taking anything JF types as *gospel*) heh. HI JF!!

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:46 AM
anteater90

Quote:
Thanks, cydawg. I'm trying to remember where I heard/read it. If you've only heard it on Hitch's show ... well, it could be that I read the quote in one of JacketFan's (most excellent) HitchShow reviews. (I have a bad habit of taking anything JF types as *gospel*) heh. HI JF!!
Just here to verify what has been said. Hitch in the last segment of his last show said that when Brassard came up he was up to learn to be an NHL player and would not be going back down. I was suprised when he was then called up for the very next game.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

A short reprieve for everyone concerned.

Quote:
January 15, 2008
Handful of updates
A quick couple of things from today:

-- LW Fredrik Modin will not play Tuesday vs. Vancouver. He wanted to give it a go, but there's still a little room for improvement with his back. He will make the trip with the Blue Jackets -- leaving Wednesday for Phoenix -- and hopes to play at some point during the five-game road trip.

-- C/RW Andrew Murray said he passed his concussion test. He's back to flat-line, which doesn't sound good, but I'm told that's the ideal. He took a bike ride with no problems, but will have to practice a few times before he's cleared to play. The Blue Jackets have been very, very happy with the way he's played since he got called up from Syracuse.

-- W Curtis Glencross is still a few days away. He's got to put weight back on and build up strength.

-- D Ole-Kristian Tollefsen will need a few days, too, at least. He's been out a while with that neck injury.

-- Aaron Portzline
aportzline@dispatch.com

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post

Thats what I expect as well. I hate to see Lindstrom go down, but it makes sense. Hopefully Vyborny's play tonight justifies that move.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:05 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I believe it was Hitch who said that our young players need to get used to the idea of playing 2 or 3 years in the minors before making the big team. And yes, I've heard both Hitch and Howson say that "once Brassard is up, he's up." And yes, pluckydear, I do strive for veracity in my Hitch show highlights.

Next question: Which of our prospects are likely to be traded? Reason: Looking at the current roster, and contracts, and Hitch's expressed preference for veterans (quoted once again in today's Dispatch regarding road games), we seem TOP HEAVY in forwards who are ready for fourth and third line duty in the NHL: Murray, Lindstrom, Boll, Glencross, Konopka (soon perhaps), Picard, Brule. (And we have several younger prospects a year away if reports are to be believed, including Pinneault, Sestito, Leguin).

So.....I have to believe that IF we are "buyers" at the deadline we'll need to move some of our prospects in our quest for veteran impact players. And if not now, soon enough come summer. Hitch loves his veterans.

I know this will be a popular opinion with our "don't trade the future" crowd, but there are only so many spots available.

Old
01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
blahblah

With the way things are going, you might see Glencross hit the waiver wire and see Lindstrom or Murray take up a depth spot.

The weren't afraid to drop Beech and my understanding is that Glencross's play away from the puck wasn't very good. Glencross was benched before he became ill.

It'll be interesting to see what they do...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
I'd send down JF and Pluckfur and bring up 3mta3 and jackets63. I'd try to find room for jacketracket too, but I'm not sure we could find a slot for him.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
With the way things are going, you might see Glencross hit the waiver wire and see Lindstrom or Murray take up a depth spot.

The weren't afraid to drop Beech and my understanding is that Glencross's play away from the puck wasn't very good. Glencross was benched before he became ill.

It'll be interesting to see what they do...
The Glencross comment kindof surprises me. He's shown two Hitch qualities: hard play and desire to go to the net.

But no doubt, we're gonna have to GIVE to GET.

Old
01-15-2008, 09:45 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I would think for the right deal.. anyone is available

I still expect us to be dumpling by the deadline/ not acquiring that was the plan in the beginning of the year and where we sit today is in that 9th / 10th spot not the 7th or 8th.

I think we need the playoffs in this town/ but I'm trying to be realistic as well. The last two games made my confidence go way up... so maybe it's the beginning of a good 15 game run before the deadline.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I expect to see Glencross packaged in a trade deal. Jury is still out on Lindstrom. Waiving Duvie is not a bad idea.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
I'd send down JF and Pluckfur and bring up 3mta3 and jackets63. I'd try to find room for jacketracket too, but I'm not sure we could find a slot for him.
Are you insane? Pluckfur's play in front of the net is irreplacable, and JF is chippy - exactly what we need right now.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:08 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
The Glencross comment kindof surprises me. He's shown two Hitch qualities: hard play and desire to go to the net.
Yeah, those 2 items really weren't in question. If you don't pay attention to his play with the puck, around the net, you fall in love with him. He did create scoring chances.

However, I believe they were expecting more development in the rest of his game, which didn't seem to be improving.

I have no knowledge that they are looking to move him or that they thinking of waiving him. Just looking at our depth and that, I guess, Hitch doesn't feel like he can trust him out on the ice. He seems to be the logical choice to me.

Hitch has feel in love with Murray, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay up over Lindstrom - assuming he becomes healthy. Hitch labeled him as a glue guy, that's a positive for your future.

The Jackets are buyers right now, that's a positive in my book..

However, I wouldn't expect to see more then 1 or 2 prospects moved. We will have veteran turnover during the offseason. There needs to be a balance between veterans and developing players. We also need the right type of veterans. Howson, I'm sure, already knows who he would like as part of our future.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-15-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old
01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Casework

Didn't I make this same thread a couple weeks ago, and someone said it was unrealistic to think our whole roster would be healthy at the same time?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Concerning Glencross, when did he take the puck to the face relative to being scratched. He played a few games with the cage on. Maybe there were some effects that lead to him not playing as well those last few days before he got THE VIRUS.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:45 AM
darrmd

He played two games with the cage, then got scratched when they went on the west coast trip. He was in the bar on NYE and told me he hated playing with the "birdcage" figured that was why he wasn't playing.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
firethecannon

Lindstrom to Syracuse

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

firethecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
He played two games with the cage, then got scratched when they went on the west coast trip. He was in the bar on NYE and told me he hated playing with the "birdcage" figured that was why he wasn't playing.
He had problems before the birdcage.