HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Would Iginla be considered for HOF recognition at the end of his career/by now?

Old
01-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Stephen Locke*

vCash: 500
Would Iginla be considered for HOF recognition at the end of his career/by now?

To date,he's one of the best forwards of the era.Elite all-around player,who has dominated in most of his career and even if he's not over PPG careerwise,he's still a great contributor.Proven leader who led Calgary to one win away from the Stanley Cup and is carrying a Flames team on his back this year.On pace for 110 points+ and could obtain or being at least in contention for the Art Ross or Rocket Richard Trophy.

Here's some of his prestigious accomplishments so far:

In Junior-
1994 Memorial Cup Champion(Canadian Major Junior Champion)
1995-George Parsons Trophy(Memorial Cup Most Sportsmanlike Player)
WHL West 1st All-Star Team
Four Broncos Memorial Trophy(WHL Most Valuable Player)-1996

NHL-

Named to NHL All-Rookie Team-1997
Played in 3 All-Star Appearances-2002,2003,2004
Two Rocket Richard Trophies-2002,2004
Art Ross Trophy-2002
Lester B.Pearson Award-2002
King Clancy Memorial Trophy-2004
*First All-Star Team Appearance in 2002,2004*I think and 2008

Almost received the Conn Smythe for his dominating performance in the
2004 playoffs-Flames Cup Run

Had a very respectable postseason resume,except for the 2007 playoffs when he
delivered a poor performances considering his standards

-International Play-

Played for Canada in
-1996 WJC-Gold Medal
-1997 WC-Gold Medal
-2002 Winter Olympics-Gold Medal
-2004 World Cup of Hockey-Gold Medal
-2006 Winter Olympics

What's your take on it? Do you think he's borderline HOF material?I know that if he retires now,he wouldn't get a sniff of the Hall even with the accomplishments he did.But if he continues to register a couple of similar great seasons, do you believe there is a strong possibility he could get catapulted into the HOF?

Discuss.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 01-12-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:02 PM
pitseleh

He's not there yet, but I'm almost certain he'll be a Hall of Famer by the time he retires.

He's got two Richards, an Art Ross, an MVP (Pearson) and a couple of post-season all-star selections. He's having another MVP caliber season this year and should have at least another couple top level seasons in him.

Even at this point he's got a Lanny McDonald type career (minus the Cup or longevity stats).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
He's not there yet, but I'm almost certain he'll be a Hall of Famer by the time he retires. He's got two Richards, an Art Ross, an MVP (Pearson) and a couple of post-season all-star selections. He's having another MVP caliber season this year and should have at least another couple top level seasons in him. Even at this point he's got a Lanny McDonald type career (minus the Cup or longevity stats).
No Cup and only 724 points!?! Unless he gets a Cup and at least 1000 points I wouldn't even consider him borderline.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

He would get a little consideration, but would have no shot at getting in.

Iginla has basically what amounts to one 50 goal season, one 40 goal season, and five 30 goal seasons with a limited (but stellar) playoff resume. Yes, he has a Rocket Richard (2)/Art Ross/Pearson, but he needs to break 45 goals and 100 points two times, at least, to have a good shot at getting in.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
HackandLube

Ha, knowing the NHL they'd probably admit him merely for the appearance of racial diversityl

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:35 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
No Cup and only 724 points!?! Unless he gets a Cup and at least 1000 points I wouldn't even consider him borderline.
I'm assuming he'll hit 1000 points rather easily before the end of his career. He should finish this season around 775, earn a post-season all-star nod and get Hart consideration assuming he doesn't go down the tank. He's only 31 and should have at least another two or three strong offensive seasons to at least get him close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post

Iginla has basically what amounts to one 50 goal season, one 40 goal season, and five 30 goal seasons with a limited (but stellar) playoff resume. Yes, he has a Rocket Richard (2)/Art Ross/Pearson, but he needs to break 45 goals and 100 points two times, at least, to have a good shot at getting in.
Lanny McDonald never broke 100 points and had 66, 47, and 46 goals as his highest totals in a much higher scoring era and is in the Hall of Fame. You can see the same thing with many others enshrined, and that's excluding the borderline guys that people like to complain about (Gillies, Duff, Pulford, etc.).

The problem is that Jarome led the league in goals and points during one of the lowest scoring points in NHL history, and as such his absolute point totals take a big hit. It doesn't really make sense to compare his numbers directly with guys who played their prime in higher scoring eras.

If the criteria were up to me, he probably wouldn't have the resume. But based on HoF precedents, he should have the career to get in. I don't even like the guy either.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
MXD

He NEARLY already earned his place in the HHOF.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Slapshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Ha, knowing the NHL they'd probably admit him merely for the appearance of racial diversityl
Yup, partially because of that. Even if his production would drop a bit, I think he will eventually get there - with or without the cup. Only some unexptected major drawback could prevent that.

Last edited by Slapshooter: 01-11-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
weaponomega

He's not there yet, but by the time he retires he will be. He's only 30 and has been playing the best hockey of his career the last two seasons.

By the time he retires I think he'll easily score 500 goals and might even be close to 600.

weaponomega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Crosbyfan

Not there yet, but WAY ahead of Lanny at the same stage in his career!

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:52 AM
BM67

On regular season career, he's already ahead of Cam Neely and Steve Shutt. It's his playoff resume that really needs the few good years to get him there.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
On regular season career, he's already ahead of Cam Neely and Steve Shutt. It's his playoff resume that really needs the few good years to get him there.
I agree. If Iginla (knock on wood) had a career ending injury I think he should get in on his play to date similar to Neely though I was surprised Neely made it. If he merely started to suck, that would be different. In between you have a Lindros situation (though Lindros should get in).

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Neely I agree he's already there with him. Iginla has already had at least as many elite seasons as Neely and his best seasons trumps Neely's best.

As for Shutt, I dont think he's there yet. Shutt won 5 Cups and was a huge part of 4 of them. His regular season numbers have left a lot to be desired but you cant argue his peak or his contribution to Cups with the Habs. Eventually Iginla will pass him though, just a matter of time

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 10:49 AM
MXD

Quote:
I tend to disgress on this statement. I might be wrong, but what made Neely a bearable induction to mostly everyone is his 50 goals in-less-than 50 games season at the end of his career. No matter how dominant he was (during his prime), I don't think he gets in without that season... Or, at least, he would be a much more controversial induction than he is already.

So, in a sense, while Iggy is arguably ahead of Neely for his reg. season career, I don't think he's there yet considering his reg. season achievements, if that makes sense.

Old
01-12-2008, 01:43 PM
seventieslord

I think if he keeps this up for one more year, he's got to be in.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
ryz

He's not there yet, but almost a lock to make it when all is said and done (barring injuries of course).

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 04:33 PM
BM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Neely I agree he's already there with him. Iginla has already had at least as many elite seasons as Neely and his best seasons trumps Neely's best.

As for Shutt, I dont think he's there yet. Shutt won 5 Cups and was a huge part of 4 of them. His regular season numbers have left a lot to be desired but you cant argue his peak or his contribution to Cups with the Habs. Eventually Iginla will pass him though, just a matter of time
As I said, he doesn't have the playoff resume of Neely or Shutt, but in the regular season he's done as much as they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I tend to disgress on this statement. I might be wrong, but what made Neely a bearable induction to mostly everyone is his 50 goals in-less-than 50 games season at the end of his career. No matter how dominant he was (during his prime), I don't think he gets in without that season... Or, at least, he would be a much more controversial induction than he is already.

So, in a sense, while Iggy is arguably ahead of Neely for his reg. season career, I don't think he's there yet considering his reg. season achievements, if that makes sense.
So 50 in 50 is better than a Pearson, an Art Ross, and two Rocket Richard trophies?

For the record, there have been as many 50 goal scorers in the last 9 seasons as in the 3 years that Neely scored 50.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Most places in Western society subscribe to this notion.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 05:45 PM
overg

Quote:
So 50 in 50 is better than a Pearson, an Art Ross, and two Rocket Richard trophies?
For HoF purposes, it probably is by quite a bit. By wikipedia's count, only 8 guys have ever done it (Richard, Bossy, Gretzky, Lemiuex, and Brett Hull all did it in their teams' first 50 games in a season, while Kurri, Mogilny, and Neely did it within their (but not their teams') first 50 games in a season). Not to belittle Iginla's awards, which are incredibly impressive, but Neely's inclusion on that list is more prestigious.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post

Tell that to Bob Gainey...who has done none of the above. His 4 Selke's, 1 Conn Smythe and numerous cups make up for that BUT in terms of point total, he hasn't even surpassed 65+ points.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Crosby View Post
Most places in Western society subscribe to this notion.
Great contribution offered in this thread

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Tell that to Bob Gainey...who has done none of the above. His 4 Selke's, 1 Conn Smythe and numerous cups make up for that BUT in terms of point total, he hasn't even surpassed 65+ points.
Gainey was the best defensive forward of his era and put up decent point totals. Iginla isn't even close to the contributions Gainey made.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:44 AM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
If Neely is in the Hall, Iggy is a lock!

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
God Bless Canada

If his career ended today, he'd get consideration and some support, but I think he falls short. The resume looks like this:

*Three dominant regular seasons and one dominant playoff that nearly yielded a Stanley Cup.
*Two Rocket Richard Trophies
*One Pearson Trophy
*A tie for the Hart Trophy
*A first-team all-star birth
*A second-team all-star birth (He probably should have been an all-star last season -he was the class of the RWs when he was healthy - but he missed a few weeks with an injury, and the media flubbed the vote by putting Heatley at RW).

He's in the midst of a fourth dominant regular season. He's finally putting back-to-back dominant regular seasons together. If he can sustain his level of performance, and put together one more dominant regular season or playoff, I'd put him in without question. Five dominant seasons, an MVP-calibre playoff performance, and some good regular season and playoff performances is usually enough.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
MXD

Quote:
As I said, he doesn't have the playoff resume of Neely or Shutt, but in the regular season he's done as much as they have.

For the record, there have been as many 50 goal scorers in the last 9 seasons as in the 3 years that Neely scored 50.
Yes and No.

Pearson/Ross/Rocket is more impressive AS A 82 GAMES SEASON. This said, Neely would have been safe bet for those awards, and probably the Hart as well, if he had played more than 49 games. Iggy did not have great competition that year amongst skaters. I don't remember (and don't have time to look now) what kind of competition Neely had that year, but he really trumped it. Much more than Iggy did. 50 in 50 is the kind of achievement that nearly makes a player a shoo-in for the Hall... Well, if Cory Stillman would be on fire next year and achieve it, I still don't think he would get in, but there's a world of difference between Neely and Stillman.

And I don't think Iggy deserved the Hart, either. It's not a knockdown on Iggy -- he was indeed the MVS (Most Valuable Skater) that year, but he wasn't the Most Valuable Player, and if Jose Theodore wasn't victim of a screwjob - a few reporters NOT voting for him - the gap would have been much bigger.

Iggy is really ahead of Shutt, though.