HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates for High Arches and Wide Feet?

Old
01-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Hank19*

vCash: 500
Skates for High Arches and Wide Feet?

http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

I saw this on the web and I loved how detailed it was on skate fitting.

I have wide feet with a very high arch. I've got to get new skates as the 2-year-old CCM's I have are still really hurting my feet during games.

I'd love to try the Graf's as I've heard great things about them. But they're very expensive. I didn't want to spend over $250 on a new pair. Actually, anything over $150 is beyond my budget but I'm tired of having discount skates.

Anyone else have wide feet and/or high arches? What skates do you use?

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Dangler87

Well Hank, you can always go to a foot podiatrist and have them custom mold a special foot support for you, whether it be an arch support, or just making your foot more comfortable in your skates. I went to my podiatrist and had the shape of my foot molded into a special extra foot support padding. And it really helps.

Dangler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:13 PM
nyrmetros

I have flat foot and somewhat wide feet (but I can fit into a D skate). Back in 1998 in HS I had my podiatrist make a mold of my feet and put them in my skates. It worked for 1 year, but after that my feet were killing me. I had to give up ice hockey because of it. Recently I discovered RBK skates. The inlines fit my feet great, now I just need to try their RBK ice boot. I know GRAF does custom skates as well, but that could be $500 and up.

Anyone else have flat feet here?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Wags

I have wide feet and I got some Easton's this year (I think I paid $200)...probably the most comfortable my feet have been. I should add I used to wear tacks. You could try the easton with those superfeet things in them.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:13 PM
vexXed

I saw the exact same article and then realised I had been skating in the wrong skates (CCM's) for 5 years. For more good advice go to modsquadhockey.com and they will help you out. A lot of knowledgable posters on there that helped me with my skate selection.

I also have a high arch and instep, as well as wide feet and now I use the Graf 709's which are perfect for me. It makes a HUGE difference to get skates that fit you as well as they should, my old CCM's felt like ski boots. If you can't spend that much then I would reccommend a lower series but still in the '09' area as that is suitable for high arches and wide feet. Perhaps the 609's? Best to go in to your local hockey shop and get them fitted by they peeps there.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Icer

I have wide feet and high arches and I skate Bauer Supremes in EE width. Best skates I've ever worn.

A couple of people also mentioned custom foot beds. Nice if you can afford them, but there are alternatives. Many running stores carry foot beds you can heat in the oven at home and stand on to create a custom fit. They run about $40.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
SilverSeven

They dont make em. Way too nerdy to play hockey.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:20 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I have flat foot and somewhat wide feet (but I can fit into a D skate). Back in 1998 in HS I had my podiatrist make a mold of my feet and put them in my skates. It worked for 1 year, but after that my feet were killing me. I had to give up ice hockey because of it. Recently I discovered RBK skates. The inlines fit my feet great, now I just need to try their RBK ice boot. I know GRAF does custom skates as well, but that could be $500 and up.

Anyone else have flat feet here?

I do and at age 13 I had some custom arches made. They worked awesome and it got rid of any back pain I used to have when I was younger. I also have very narrow feet so I have a D skate but I put an extra Dr. Sholls insole in it to take up some space. I still use the arches 12 years later (although they ive gotten new ones since they as ive grown) and suggest it for all people with flat feet/literally no arch.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 07:55 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer View Post
I have wide feet and high arches and I skate Bauer Supremes in EE width. Best skates I've ever worn.

A couple of people also mentioned custom foot beds. Nice if you can afford them, but there are alternatives. Many running stores carry foot beds you can heat in the oven at home and stand on to create a custom fit. They run about $40.
I might have to try these.

I got a pair of Grafs and they're just not doing it for me.
I've had them stretched and modified 7 times and I have the Graf insole to boot. Nothing makes them comfortable.
Also, after having skated on CCM's for the past 18 years, I can't get used to the angle that Graf's put your foot in. My heel is way higher than my toes, forcing me to lean forward. I know that's the way it should be, but I just can't get used to them.
I'll have to see about returning these Grafs and trying a pair of Bauer's. They were the first brand I ever wore. I might have to return to those.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:45 AM
TheUndertow40Six2

High arch feet should be in either Mission or Bauer, as they have the two highest arch supports on the market. Every company makes regular and wide width skates, but Bauer and Mission will be the only ones with the correct arch (which will never break in, btw). Go slightly narrow, the boot will stretch out. If you go too wide right off the bat, it will never shrink in to match where your foot's width stops. The diff between a D and E width is 1/8''... It WILL stretch.

TheUndertow40Six2 is offline   Reply With Quote