HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could The Jackets Make A Play For Brian Campbell?

Old
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Wease

vCash: 500
Could The Jackets Make A Play For Brian Campbell?

I just read on TSN that Brian Campbell is refusing to negotiate his contract during the season. I think he'd be a great addition to the Jackets, that puck moving defenseman they need and a PP QB. Of course, I also like Dan Boyle of the Lightning for this spot. What do you guys think, good addition, possible, what?

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:50 AM
ajsonor

As a Buffalo fan, I was wondering if you'd be interested. You have a ton of prospects and as a team are ready to improve by moving youth for a player like Campbell. As a Sabre fan, Campbell is the kind of guy who makes you want to watch all the games, from the occasional big hit (see RJ Umberger) to the all more frequent spin-o-rama move on the rush.

ajsonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor View Post
As a Buffalo fan, I was wondering if you'd be interested. You have a ton of prospects and as a team are ready to improve by moving youth for a player like Campbell. As a Sabre fan, Campbell is the kind of guy who makes you want to watch all the games, from the occasional big hit (see RJ Umberger) to the all more frequent spin-o-rama move on the rush.
As a guy who used to live near Buffalo and grew up watching the Sabres, sometimes he reminds me of Phil Housely...

Old
01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Nordique

I figure Buffalo can retain him financially after cutting lose Briere and Drury, but anything is possible.

I think Shea Weber should be a target, and he won't be cheap(3-4mill per year would be my guess).

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Campbell is exactly the kind of player the Jackets could use. As with any deal, the return is the key to whether I'd be interested or not. (Not, of course, that it makes any difference whether I'm interested, but for discussion purposes...)

Old
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Wease

And for the record, I'm thinking as a free agent signing, not a trade. I think he's someone they could target in the off season if they don't have Fedorov and Foote's contracts to deal with.

Old
01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
What would Buffalo want ? Brule maybe?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
And for the record, I'm thinking as a free agent signing, not a trade. I think he's someone they could target in the off season if they don't have Fedorov and Foote's contracts to deal with.
Ahh yes. By all means, then.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Campbell is exactly the kind of player the Jackets could use. As with any deal, the return is the key to whether I'd be interested or not. (Not, of course, that it makes any difference whether I'm interested, but for discussion purposes...)

I see the return as being Klesla (and a prospect). He's been playing great, which makes his value high, but I believe he's never going to be that top-2, superstar d-man he was touted to be. For a chance to get someone to jump-start the offense and bring a high level of intensity every night like Campbell I'd give them Rusty. We'd still have Methot, Foote, Hejda and OKT to bang bodies-go for it.

123jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
blahblah

Same discussion as the rest of the others....

Don't think the Jackets are ready to drop down top prospects for a rental. He's a UFA, so while there are teams with more depth that could pay what Buffalo would want, I don't see us in that posistion.

Now if you guys want a pick or two with a fringe prospect, where do we sign?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Nordique

I believe there are several strong RFA/UFA dmen coming into the offseason. Again, I just don't see us making a move that involves picking up a soon to be FA, unless it means moving one of our larger contracts(Nash, Foote, Fedorov).

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:30 PM
DougKnowsBest

i traded modin for him straight up in nhl2k

as far as real life. we do have several b level prospects who's experation date is about to expire on. i say hell yes move guys like that for a guy like him.,,, with a long term contract negotiated up front of course

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
with a long term contract negotiated up front of course
Is that even allowed in the new CBA? One of these days I will be bored enough to read it...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
I just read on TSN that Brian Campbell is refusing to negotiate his contract during the season. I think he'd be a great addition to the Jackets, that puck moving defenseman they need and a PP QB. Of course, I also like Dan Boyle of the Lightning for this spot. What do you guys think, good addition, possible, what?
I'd probably rather have him than Boyle. Boyle's coming off a very serious injury.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Being a defenseman rental I don't think we will trade anyone who is going to be restricted (that we want to keep) after the season. Or anyone else who we think has value for that matter. A center rental might be different.

As for Brian, he is a guy who can change a team but when unrestricted he will want more money than we can afford. I think the Sabres will resign him anyway, if he leaves the Sabres the fans won't be pleased.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 06:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As for Brian, he is a guy who can change a team but when unrestricted he will want more money than we can afford. I think the Sabres will resign him anyway, if he leaves the Sabres the fans won't be pleased.
I think Campbell would get around $7M. Could the Blue Jackets afford that? They could certainly use the spike in high-end talent. I think the CBJ will be looking to step up and sign someone big like that. 4 of the top 7 paid players come off the books.

Are Foote and Fedorov going to be re-signed? I can't see the CBJ really wanting to keep Fedorov for any more than what a role player would want.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think Campbell would get around $7M. Could the Blue Jackets afford that? They could certainly use the spike in high-end talent. I think the CBJ will be looking to step up and sign someone big like that. 4 of the top 7 paid players come off the books.

Are Foote and Fedorov going to be re-signed? I can't see the CBJ really wanting to keep Fedorov for any more than what a role player would want.
Howson has said he is going to open contract talks with Foote, but no word on Fedorov.

I think Foote might be resigned but at a huge decrease in salary, Fedorov is history imo.

As for Campbell at 7 mln, no way as far as the Jackets are concerned. Our defensive depth does not require that. Russell will emerge as that puck moving guy we need. The only guys we have that could be on the bubble are Westcott and Tollefsen. We have a newish guy buy the name of Methot who is going to be very good, add Hedja, Klesla, and Hainsey and our defense appears very solid.

We need a 7 mln center more than a defenseman imo.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 07:20 AM
ajsonor

A couple facts about Campbell that would be interesting.
He plays over 25 mins a game and has played around 30 when injuries and game conditions demanded it. His skating is effortless and allows him to do so.
His cap number for this year is 1.75 million.

As for compensation, Buffalo would probably want a roster player, prospect, and a pick. The deadline is moved up, so you'll be getting him for more games this year than in the past.

ajsonor is offline   Reply With Quote