HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

More Europeans

Old
01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
mstraka82

vCash: 500
More Europeans

does anybody think we need more Europeans right now soooo Jags can get back to the way he was, it is horrible that he is not the same player i cant accept playing like crap now

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

no way! You can't cater to him anymore. He's lazy, over the hill, and needs to go.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
does anybody think we need more Europeans right now soooo Jags can get back to the way he was, it is horrible that he is not the same player i cant accept playing like crap now
I'd find someone for Gomez to play with. The day of making moves to placate Jagr are over.

01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
DontStepanMe

I'm a big fan of Euros. But I don't think we need to give in to Jagrs needs. I would like to get some more swedes though. I just love the way they tend to play. They tend to be highly skilled in passing and usually have a decent shot to go w/ it.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd find someone for Gomez to play with. The day of making moves to placate Jagr are over.
Agreed. I go one step further. Trade him, if possible. We have the makings of a good team with our goalie(except over the last several weeks) and on defense. The forwards must be built around the core of Gomez and Drury. Accordingly, we need north/south type forwards. I wish Renney would give Prucha ten games with Gomez. I believe they would develop chemistry. Finally, great win for Big Blue!

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Chimp

Get players to improve Jagr? Now that's a sign you don't have a superstar anymore. I say trade Jagr to make this team better while his stock market value is higher than his real value. The problem is, it's virtually impossible, since trading him would void the half paycheck deal with Washington and the team receiving him would have to pay his full salary. He's also an upcoming UFA, making his value much less than we would hope for.

Jagr is done for. His shot is nowadays bad and ineffective, he's usually quite slow, his offensive tactics antique, his "showing up" factor inconsistent to say the least and his ability to take too long shifts and float around on the ice, generating oddman rushes against us is painful. And oh, it sucks having him on the PP, because the other players respect him too much and tries to do everything through him, while he on the other hand slows the puck tempo down to turtle speed, making the job for the PK:ers very easy. His ability to hold on to the puck can be good sometimes as well though. And yes, Jagr sucks as a pointman on 5 on 3, as he always ends up at hugging distance to the other pointman, again making the job for the PK pointman easy as hell.

If we re-sign him, I hope it's for a reasonable amount of money, considering his awful season (which I see no signs for improvement in).

Last edited by Chimp: 01-15-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
mstraka82

then lets do it, trade him i feel bad for him tho

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:57 AM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
if we get more europeans we might as well be the new york ice capades because our power play would be nothing but fancy passing like they're playing around the world with the puck until some one turns it over and it's cleared.....err no wait that happens already

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
FLYLine24*

I have some bad news for some of you:

Jagr is not in his prime anymore.

Yes, that is true. He can no longer dominate on the ice like he used. Sure he has his moments still, but so does Jermey Roenick in SJ. So you should probably stop thinking we can get 100 points out of him anymore. When we got Drury and Gomez in the offseason it was because Sather knew he wasn't going to get the Jagr of 3 years ago.

Anyway, Jagr has 6G/12A/18P in his last 14 games and has only been held scoreless in 2 of the last 14. Enough with the Jagr bashing every 5 seconds and lets start pointing fingers in other spots.

And as for the original question, NO we don't need more players to make Jagr happy, he is doing all he is going to do. He's not going to score 30 points in 15 games if we add Rucinsky.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I have some bad news for some of you:

Jagr is not in his prime anymore.

Yes, that is true. He can no longer dominate on the ice like he used. Sure he has his moments still, but so does Jermey Roenick in SJ. So you should probably stop thinking we can get 100 points out of him anymore. When we got Drury and Gomez in the offseason it was because Sather knew he wasn't going to get the Jagr of 3 years ago.

Anyway, Jagr has 6G/12A/18P in his last 14 games and has only been held scoreless in 2 of the last 14. Enough with the Jagr bashing every 5 seconds and lets start pointing fingers in other spots.

And as for the original question, NO we don't need more players to make Jagr happy, he is doing all he is going to do. He's not going to score 30 points in 15 games if we add Rucinsky.
Not bashing but the reality is Jagr still has some value and we won't win the Cup with him. Thus trade him for some young forwards with potential to complement the defense and goalie

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Tumsh

I still think picking up more Euros would be good. Especially Swedes, as then I would have even more reason to cheer for the team

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
I still think picking up more Euros would be good. Especially Swedes, as then I would have even more reason to cheer for the team
what would it take to get Pahlsson out of the Ducks. Bruins let all their good players go

Hollweg seems like a Burke type lol

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
if we get more europeans we might as well be the new york ice capades because our power play would be nothing but fancy passing like they're playing around the world with the puck until some one turns it over and it's cleared.....err no wait that happens already
yeah b/c detroit has such a bad pp w/ their Euros.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
segmentation fault

We need Russians. It takes 4 to win the cup

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
no way! You can't cater to him anymore. He's lazy, over the hill, and needs to go.
ditto

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Cherepanov 71

when was the last time a European based team won the cup?

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
when was the last time a European based team won the cup?
The big DETROIT

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
The big DETROIT
That was a while ago...

Old
01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
That was a while ago...
96-97
97-98
01-02

Not that long ago I just simply answered your question though, man.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
96-97
97-98
01-02

Not that long ago I just simply answered your question though, man.

Yea no problem, also there European skill is far superior than ours, and also the game has changed and it seems since the lock out, North American based teams are winning. Although Detroit does look sick again this year.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
yes sir! ur right. If the rangers are going to go for Euros, the best hockey playing euros, imho, are Swedes and Finns. They are the best all around players...go for some of them and get Jagr out of here.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
That was a while ago...
to be fair though. How many teams actually base their team around Euro's? I really can't think of another team that is so Euro influenced as the Red Wings. And look they are in the Playoffs every year and are one of the best teams every year offensively and defensively.

We were at our best the last two years when we had more Euro players. I don't think Euro players are given their fare credit. They play differently than NA. They pass more and try to get better shots, instead of banging around in corners and just shooting from where ever.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Yea no problem, also there European skill is far superior than ours, and also the game has changed and it seems since the lock out, North American based teams are winning. Although Detroit does look sick again this year.
Post lockout the game has been "*********" if you want to pretend that's a viable word for the conversation to start...

I've never seen so many penalties called in a game, and on top of that...

Goaltenders are head over heels amazing nowadays.

East-west hockey is getting killed.

Seems like less ice to find openings to shoot.

And yeah Detroit looks like they'll go all the way this year although it makes you wonder if their 40 year old+ goalies can hold out throughout the season and the playoffs. I don't think they will..

Old
01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Post lockout the game has been "*********" if you want to pretend that's a viable word for the conversation to start...

I've never seen so many penalties called in a game, and on top of that...

Goaltenders are head over heels amazing nowadays.

East-west hockey is getting killed.

Seems like less ice to find openings to shoot.

And yeah Detroit looks like they'll go all the way this year although it makes you wonder if their 40 year old+ goalies can hold out throughout the season and the playoffs. I don't think they will..
Yea, I guess it all matters on the type of Euro's you have. Osgood has been no slug either.

Old
01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
That was a while ago...
Umm, they're top of the league right now, nearly dominating the league outside their own conference? Yes, Euros work, seemingly especially Swedes, but it will be a soft team (As Detroit is). Unless, of course, we can find those incredibly rare Alfredson types (He is one tough dude, and he's got a mean streak).

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote