HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Ville Leino

Old
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
edd1e

vCash: 500
Ville Leino

Has been on fire, MVP of the SM-Liiga this season with 39 games and 55 points. I think 70 points at the end of the season is not that far off a bet. What do you think of his changes making to the NHL some day?

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Finnpin

Leino is on fire

I'm sure that this is the last season for him in the SM-Liiga and next season he's trying in NHL or in Swedish/Swiss team...

People say that he is soft but he is actually pretty strong in the corners and usually goes out of there with the puck...though in the NHL the defenders are nastier and bigger.

Go see him now while you can!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
What do you think of his changes making to the NHL some day?
To play in NHL, ok chances. To play more than just a bit in NHL, not much. He is too one dimensional, not having too good speed, not being so good in own end and not being still good enough to be dominant offensive player in NHL.

And mostly because of his personality I don't see him playing much in AHL, so obviously that will make his chances even smaller.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 11:06 AM
gib

I am starting to think that he can make it. Clearly he has been MVP in sm-liiga and he has enough skill to play in NHL. Also his mental side has gotten better and he`s not whining that much anymore.

For me his game looks more and more like Nylander`s game even if he`s now playing winger. Petri Kontiola was considered Nylander type of a player, but I think Leino`s game is closer to Nylander. Those quick turns and spins that he`s making to shake of defenders and still have perfect puck controll. Maybe he`s not in the level of Nylander but I dont see why he couldnt play similar kind of role/game like Nylander does.

It`s a shame if sm-liiga loses Leino. He`s by far the most exciting player to watch rigth now.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
For me his game looks more and more like Nylander`s game even if he`s now playing winger. Petri Kontiola was considered Nylander type of a player, but I think Leino`s game is closer to Nylander. Those quick turns and spins that he`s making to shake of defenders and still have perfect puck controll. Maybe he`s not in the level of Nylander but I dont see why he couldnt play similar kind of role/game like Nylander does..
Yeah, his style is closer to Nylander's than Kontiola is. Kontiola is more complete player in both ends and is using more of his vision&skills to pass to open player than shake D's. So while Leino is hanging longer with puck(which I think will hurt him in NHL as well) like Nylander does, Kontiola releases to puck faster. Leino doesn't have so complete game as Kontiola does and he doesn't have so good vision, but he is clearly better finisher and has very good skills.

But I still think he won't make it. Because of things mentioned.

Old
01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
slebbeog

I've seen a lot of Leino this year. He's a (super)star in Finnish league for sure...

...but in NHL? No way. His puck possession in offensive zone is built too much on staring at the corners, face first. In Finland, you actually can depend on playing the puck, face towards the boards. But in real hockey, you'll just kill yourself that way.

slebbeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambonidriver² View Post
I've seen a lot of Leino this year. He's a (super)star in Finnish league for sure...

...but in NHL? No way. His puck possession in offensive zone is built too much on staring at the corners, face first. In Finland, you actually can depend on playing the puck, face towards the boards. But in real hockey, you'll just kill yourself that way.
Very true.. I see more fast paced hockey at our own hockey rink than in Sm league

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
slebbeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Very true.. I see more fast paced hockey at our own hockey rink than in Sm league
Well, you're just one of them "I think Don Cherry is the ultimate truth" trollers. Seen your posts for long enough.

If your knowledge about hockey, players and nationalities in hockey would be compared with a trained monkey... you might be good enough to be the guy that ties the damn skate laces, for some 10 year old afgans (dunno if they play hockey tho). The monkey would still write here, with better arguments you've ever.

slebbeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Panopticon

I hope Leino makes it to the NHL. Or at least tries and plays a season or two in the AHL. I can't stand the guy (diving, whining... dominating against my team) and if he left it would be good for the league. Or at least me.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
I hope Leino makes it to the NHL. Or at least tries and plays a season or two in the AHL. I can't stand the guy (diving, whining... dominating against my team) and if he left it would be good for the league. Or at least me.
Whining really?...he used to whine at HPK but you haven't seen him much this year. He is more mature. Season or 2 in AHL...never gonna happen, maybe 1 year at max. There was article in hufvudstadsbladet (HIFK magazine ) and Leino said he might play in Jokerit next season too.

Old
01-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
Whining really?...he used to whine at HPK but you haven't seen him much this year.
Well, I coun't spreading your arms and giving begging looks to the ref (and not gettin up from the ice until they play is in the other end) as whining if it's done enough and for no reason. And he's done that this season as well. A lot of it.

But it's the diving that pisses me off more. He's not as bad as guys like Mäkiaho, but it's still annoying (and at least Mäkiaho has other qualities that make him less of a *****). And because he's such a star, the refs fall for it every time.

Old
01-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Well, I coun't spreading your arms and giving begging looks to the ref (and not gettin up from the ice until they play is in the other end) as whining if it's done enough and for no reason. And he's done that this season as well. A lot of it.
Well you have to remember that Leino holds the puck a lot and get treated hard by the defenders by the stick and by holding etc. But the whining part is way more less than you make it sound. Just compare the HPK times.

Quote:
But it's the diving that pisses me off more. He's not as bad as guys like Mäkiaho, but it's still annoying (and at least Mäkiaho has other qualities that make him less of a *****). And because he's such a star, the refs fall for it every time.
Well Mäkiaho has qualities of being "IFK icon" so I see that and Leino reminds me a lot of Janecky IFK fans loved him too

Old
01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
HalfOfFame*

Personaly, i absolutely think ville leino has very good chances to play in the 1-2 line in a normal nhl team. Leino has incredible vision and puck handling is very high leveled. guy has already more points than for example glen metropolit had and leino is more physical eventhought some people can call him soft. i will be very suprised if he wont succeed in an nhl-team.

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOfFame View Post
guy has already more points than for example glen metropolit had
Yeah and guess how much Glen Metropolit has been playing as 1-2 line center in NHL?

Old
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Yeah and guess how much Glen Metropolit has been playing as 1-2 line center in NHL?
he was just an example. and as i said leino plays more physically and will really end up much more points than metro did

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Jokerit Wasp

You could argue Metro would top 50/60 pts if he was given regular top line ice time (which he has been recently) but for every Metro, theres players like Salmelainen, Tenkrat and Kariya who put up figures in the SM-Liiga and bomb in the show.

Good luck to Leino, I really hope he makes it, but as everyone knows, it aint easy.

Jokerit Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit Wasp View Post
You could argue Metro would top 50/60 pts if he was given regular top line ice time (which he has been recently) but for every Metro, theres players like Salmelainen, Tenkrat and Kariya who put up figures in the SM-Liiga and bomb in the show.
Yeah, ppl prolly don't understand how long it is from SM-liiga to NHL really. At least it seems like it sometimes.

Old
01-22-2008, 02:25 AM
gib

I think people do realize how difficult it`s to get in to the NHL. You just need to look at the list of players who have gone there and came back tail between legs...Pärssinen, Kallio, Philman, Immonen etc.

Many fans just want to see their favourite player to get there and therefore maybe write over optimistic statements. In the case of Leino changes are against him, but I dont count him out.

Kariya, Salmelainen and Tenkrat arent players who Leino should be compared to. All those guys were great skaters, but Salmelainen and Tenkrat had zero hockey sense. Kariya was a midget who did benefit playing on the bigger ice. Leino isn`t that fast skater, but he has skills and hockey sense instead. Also he aint midget.

The most important thing deciding if Leino gets there is the team he goes to. It needs to be offensively challeged like Phoenix, Washington, Atlanta, Florida....then he has a change.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
But the whining part is way more less than you make it sound. Just compare the HPK times.
I don't think it's that much less. It was the same yesterday. First of all, he has a lot of problems with staying on his skates. Intentional diving or just poor balance, I don't know, but a lot of times people barely touched him. It's especially weird because sometimes you see people hanging on his back and he just keeps going. So why the hell does he fall so easily other times..? Bad ice? Yeah...

People are afraid to defend against him now, because it's often a penalty just for going near him. I think that's unfair. He might be the best talent in the SM-liiga at the moment, but his numbers are inflated somewhat due to the freedom that the referees have basically created for him. Yesterday the biggest example of this was when Leino was skating with the puck, surrounded by 3 or 4 HIFK players and none of them even tried to take the puck away from him (or play the body). The only one who dared to play normally against him yesterday was the new guy, Ustrnul, and the youngster Holmberg. And both got a penalty for it.

And the laying on the ice and begging for a penalty? He does that 90% of the times he falls down. Only time yesterday I saw him get up fast was when he collided with a teammate and fell. Maybe he plays too much and is so tired that he can't get up fast...

A lot of players in the league do that diving and whining (I admit, on my team as well), but not as consistently as him. He's done it every game I've seen him play, which this season includes 6 HIFK games and a few other televised games.

Old
01-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Finnpin

Did you see when Leino was of the puck and how he was treated by ifk players (interference) and no penalties... that's what I heard... not always the same rules for everybody. He is a star and can be treated harder than random players and that can piss him off and maybe the diving thing comes out from frustration.

Last edited by Finnpin: 01-25-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old
01-25-2008, 03:55 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Did you see when Leino was of the puck and how he was treated by ifk players (interference) and no penalties... that's what I heard... not always the same rules for everybody. He is a star and can be treated harder than random players and that can piss him off and maybe the diving thing comes out from frustration.
He was treated harshly yesterday, but it was mostly clean and twice resulted in a penalty. Any interference that there was, goes both ways. Luttinen, Porthen, Kuhta all suffered from blatant intereference yesterday and none of them were called (not to mention the charging penalty Kantor should've gotten when he jumped while hitting one of the smallest guys on the ice, Ryan Vesce). None of them started diving and whining afterwards.

Sure, he might be treated worse than some random players, but that wasn't the case yesterday (sure, they played the body on him a lot, but other guys on both teams got a lot of little slashes, hooks and crosschecks that no one dared to try on Leino). And even if it was, it still just shows the sort of primadonna attitude that I can't stand.

Anyways, that's enough Leino bashing from me for now. Talented guy for sure, just annoys the **** out of me.

Last edited by Panopticon: 01-25-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old
01-25-2008, 04:35 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Talented guy for sure, just annoys the **** out of me.
That's why we love him!

Old
01-31-2008, 04:50 AM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Whining really?...he used to whine at HPK but you haven't seen him much this year. He is more mature.
Actually the whiner reputation is from Ilves years - especially from the lockout season. He had played better than expected and fought a spot in the league roster faster than planned.

Before that season he was handed the no 1-2 center spot in a silver plate, but he was not able to handle the responsibility. His icetime started to decrease more and more due to lack of productivity. After Stefan came he fell to lower lines and started to ***** and moan. His agent had already negotiated a transfer to HPK during the season, but Ilves did not accept that. Young Leino showed no effort on ice after that and lost a lot of respect from his teammates.

However, one has to remember that he was at that time an immature youngster, who had risen from an unknown youngster to a hot prospect very fast. I am sure that he is at the moment a lot more mature and a team player.

I think he is a great player for European series, but his style and slow moves are not fit for NHL. He will probably get a chance, if he gets to the WHC roster and succeeds there, but I predict only a short visit to NA.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Panopticon

That's kind of sad really. Getting less ice time than a guy who can't even put the puck into an empty net

I'd be pissed off too.

Old
02-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Phenomenon

Quote:
That's kind of sad really. Getting less ice time than a guy who can't even put the puck into an empty net

I'd be pissed off too.
About Stefan: It is too bad that this esteemed teammate, great player and a really nice person will always be remembered about that empty net situation. He also suffered from beeing the no 1 pick and was therefore considered as a flop, although he had at least a decent career in NHL and would most likely have made a remarkable career in Europe, if he had played here.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote