HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ville Leino

Old
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
HalfOfFame*

vCash: 500
Where ever is something happening on the ice, there is ville leino. there ar alot of good nhl players who arent so fast at all.. and btw leino is much faster than he looks like

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 08:45 PM
readynwilling

Leino got frigging owned by IFK tonight.

readynwilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Maalitykki

i could imagine him play as an nhl. he is talented player..

Maalitykki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:55 PM
johntavares

I can see him going to the nhl next season...but he is going to fail miserable. His destiny is similar to Salmelainen and Immonen.

johntavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntavares View Post
I can see him going to the nhl next season...but he is going to fail miserable. His destiny is similar to Salmelainen and Immonen.
Could you be a bit more specific? What are the reasons for his upcoming failure?

IMO Leino has a better change of making it to the NHL than Immonen and Salmelainen, simply because he's a better player.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 10:02 PM
johntavares

Its just my opinion. He is definitely talented player no doubt but there is a big difference between NHL and finnish league. Furthermore the rink is smaller which isnt the best thing for Leino. He is dependent on the space around him. He likes to control the play but his biggest weakness is the speed of passes. You dont get that much space in the NHL like he gets in Finland. If he doesnt work on his passing he would often lose the puck. Besides Leino hasnt so far shown anything special in the international games.

johntavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Its just my opinion
Many share your opinion as most Finns have failed to reach their goal in NA, but IMO it's silly to state that Leino is going to fail miserably as there's a chance that he'll succeed.

Quote:
Furthermore the rink is smaller which isnt the best thing for Leino.
He is dependent on the space around him.
I think that Leino protects the puck well and that playing in limited space suits him pretty well. It will probably take quite a lot of time and work for him to adapt to NA-style if he decides to leave Europe, but he has a better change of succeeding in it than many others.

Quote:
He likes to control the play but his biggest weakness is the speed of passes.
Speed? I think that that can be adjusted easily. Biggest weakness in his passing is his back-hander as he plays with a really short stick.

Quote:
Besides Leino hasnt so far shown anything special in the international games.
Quite true, but he's still green in the international circles, so perhaps he'll improve his performance once he gets more experience.

Quote:

Old
03-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Larkin

I think he will adapt well in NA-rinks. He's biggest weakness is he's speed(still, he's not a bad skater) and in a smaller rink it's not so big problem than in larger rinks. The speed of the passes... what could I say. Trust me, he can easily adjust the speed of he's passes, he just likes to give saucer and slow pretty passes.

And international games... yeah he haven't shown so much. But he also hasn't played very many international games and in last tournament he was pretty good.

Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Quite true, but he's still green in the international circles, so perhaps he'll improve his performance once he gets more experience.
Salmela were green, Kontiola were green, still Salmela were best D in his first tournament and Kontiola were good whole last season in international tournaments. Meanwhile Kontiola hasn't had chance to prove much in NHL. So not seeing Leino doing it either.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Salmela were green, Kontiola were green, still Salmela were best D in his first tournament and Kontiola were good whole last season in international tournaments.
Some players adapt more easily than others and perhaps Leino will improve his performance in the future. I also think that Salmela had some problems in the defensive-zone and that Leino was pretty good in his last tourney.

Quote:
Meanwhile Kontiola hasn't had chance to prove much in NHL. So not seeing Leino doing it either.
One thing doesn't always lead to another and some things aren't equal or comparable. GM's in NA don't care about performance in EHT when they are deciding who gets to stay with the big boys and who starts a bus-journey around NA. Under the right organization and with a good camp performance Leino has a change of making it straight to the roster(unlikely, but possible). Plus Kontiola is playing his first season in NA, so it's still possible that he makes the transition to the NHL.

Last edited by Tormentor: 03-24-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old
03-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Joretus

Quote:
One thing doesn't always lead to another and some things aren't equal or comparable. GM's in NA don't care about performance in EHT when they are deciding who gets to stay with the big boys and who starts a bus-journey around NA. Under the right organization and with a good camp performance Leino has a change of making it straight to the roster(unlikely, but possible). Plus Kontiola is playing his first season in NA, so it's still possible that he makes the transition to the NHL.
Of course they don't The point was just, that since Leino hasn't been anything special yet in EHT I don't see him being anything special in NHL. His role should be anyway in top-2 lines, since his defensive playing is worse than lets say Kontiola's. And if he can't perform in EHT well I don't really see him performing in NHL in top-2 lines either.

Meanwhile Kontiola could. If given right role tho. Missused in NHL so far.

Old
03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Of course they don't The point was just, that since Leino hasn't been anything special yet in EHT I don't see him being anything special in NHL.
I respect your opinion, but what if Leino's performance in the national team improves? Is it impossible? Would a possible improvement in his performance change your opinion? Is a good performance in the national team in European rings a requirement for a NHL career and if so could Leino be an exception?

All in all my primary point was that it's silly to say that Leino is going to fail miserably as there's a possibility that he succeeds, such as there's a change that you win million bucks in Lottery with a single ticket.

Quote:
His role should be anyway in top-2 lines, since his defensive playing is worse than lets say Kontiola's.
I agree, Leino needs to be a top forward in his team and requires a lot of ice-time on power-play and even-strength to be useful.

Old
03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Joretus

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but what if Leino's performance in the national team improves? Is it impossible? Would a possible improvement in his performance change your opinion? Is a good performance in the national team in European rings a requirement for a NHL career and if so could Leino be an exception?
It's not requirement, but Leino isn't really those guys who would be better suited for smallrinks than bigger one in Europe.

And I wish him all the best. Just don't see it happening. Reasons I have posted before couple of times already, so no need to repeat myself since we are all mature enough(at least compared to one canadian kid).

Old
04-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Translation please:

Jokerien tähtihyökkääjä ja vuoden pelaaja -palkinnot pokannut Ville Leino on vielä vaitonainen ensi kaudestaan. Tällä hetkellä tähtäin on Kanadan MM-kisoissa. Hän huikkasi kyselemään aiheesta palkintotilaisuudessa paikalla olleelta Markus Lehdolta, joka avustaa Leinoa sopimusasioissa.

- Useat NHL-seurat ovat kiinnostuneet Leinosta. Mutta seurojen nimistä on turha puhua tässä vaiheessa.

- Sekin pitää paikkansa, että NHL:ään varaamaton Leino voi tehdä NHL-sopimuksen vasta, kun tämän kauden pelit on pelattu. Sopimus pitää kuitenkin tehdä viimeistään 1. kesäkuuta mennessä, ja nykyisten sääntöjen mukaan Leino voi allekirjoittaa vain vuoden mittaisen ja niin sanotun kahden suunnan NHL-sopimuksen, Lehto taustoitti.

Lehdon mielestä on todennäköistä, että Leino päätyy tekemään NHL-sopimuksen. Näin SM-liiga olisi ensi syksynä yhtä tähtipelaajaa vajaampi.

AHL:stä ei enää opittavaa

Lehto toivoi, että Leino päätyy pestiin sellaisen NHL-seuran kanssa, jonka toimitusjohtaja sekä päävalmentaja ovat nähneet artistimaisen hyökkääjän tositoimissa.

- Silloin he jakaisivat ymmärryksen siitä, minkälaisia pelaajia Leino tarvitsee rinnalleen. AHL:stä hänellä ei ole opittavaa jos ajatellaan NHL-peliuraa.

- MM-kisat olisivat loistava näyteikkuna, Lehto maalaili Leinon tulevaisuudesta.

Leino myönsi, että pelaaminen maajoukkueessa hävityn Blues-välieräsarjan jälkeen tuntui raskaalta. Seitsemään peliin venynyt tiivistahtinen urakointi otti kiekkotaiteluista nauttivan hyökkääjän voimille.

- Pari päivää huilattiin ja nollattiin Jokerien kautta. Mutta kieltämättä viime viikko oli sitten Leijonissa vähän vaikeata. Mutta luulen, että peli-ilo ja -huumori löytyy tällä viikolla jo ennen Moskovaan lähtöä, Leino viesti.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 12:45 AM
gib

quick..

Jokerit`s star forward and player of the year Ville Leino is still quiet about the next season. At the moment his aim is WHC in Canada.

-Many NHL teams are interested in Leino, but it is needless to talk about the names of the teams.

Markus Lehto (Leino`s agent?) thinks that it is likely that Leino will make NHL contract.

Lehto hopes that Leino will end up in a team which head coach and manager have seen him play. Then They would share the view about what kind of a players Leino need beside him. There`s nothing to learn in AHL for Leino when thinking about NHL career.

-WHC would be great place to show what Leino can do

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Thanks gib!

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
There`s nothing to learn in AHL for Leino
Yeah. Not saying he's wrong, but that's not the attitude you should have if you want to succeed. It actually kinda pisses me off. I know it's his agents words, not his, but Leino doesn't really strike me as the humble, "willing to work a lot to get a shot" type anyways.

I predict tears and I predict a flight home before November.

EDIT: I guess you can't say ******* here either.

Last edited by Panopticon: 04-15-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Kuhta

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Yeah. Not saying he's wrong, but that's not the attitude you should have if you want to succeed. It actually kinda pisses me off. I know it's his agents words, not his, but Leino doesn't really strike me as the humble, "willing to work a lot to get a shot" type anyways.
I get your point, but Leino isn´t 20 yo prospect anymore. He´s 24 yo player who has his own game style and is pretty damn good with the puck. 77pts in 55 games in Sm-liiga and really good points in playoffs are hint of his great talent. If i was in the same situation, i wouldn´t be that excited about AHL.

Quote:
I predict tears and I predict a flight home before November.
If they play him in the right role with pp time, i predict over 60 point season.

Kuhta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Larkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhta View Post
If they play him in the right role with pp time, i predict over 60 point season.
If they play hin in the right role with pp time, i predict over 95 points.

Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 12:29 PM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
i predict 0-120 points. 0 is more likely

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Joretus

Quote:
I get your point, but Leino isn´t 20 yo prospect anymore. He´s 24 yo player who has his own game style and is pretty damn good with the puck. 77pts in 55 games in Sm-liiga and really good points in playoffs are hint of his great talent. If i was in the same situation, i wouldn´t be that excited about AHL.

One same age guy who dominated last season SM-liiga when on just played his first season in AHL. Without crying and told how much he have been learning. AHL would learn Leino a lot, because he needs to be tougher, there is a lot less room&time, etc. Saying it wouldn't give him learning to NHL is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
Right... 5 players in NHL scored over 95points this season. Best fin scored 71 and two fins scored over 50points. Sorry but 95points for Leino or any current gen finnish SM-liiga players, well that's just insane dream...

Old
04-16-2008, 12:53 PM
FINNtastic

Quote:
One same age guy who dominated last season SM-liiga when on just played his first season in AHL. Without crying and told how much he have been learning. AHL would learn Leino a lot, because he needs to be tougher, there is a lot less room&time, etc. Saying it wouldn't give him learning to NHL is silly.
If this mystery, "one same age guy" you're talking about is Petri Kontiola then I have to disagree a bit. I wouldn't say a player who scored 47 points in 51 games dominated SM-liiga last season. I actually wouldn't say that even Leino dominated this season, but I will say that there were games in which he sure did dominate.

If we're comparing Kontiola and Leino and we're speculating on their possible NHL careers I'd say that Kontiola is more likely to have a NHL career. That's because besides the fact that he is an awesome playmaker, he's also good all-around hockey player.

Leino on the other hand is an offensive wizard who has potential to be a good scorer in the NHL. I think it's all about which team offers him a deal. I think we all know that he's never gonna be an effective 3rd-4th liner so he needs a spot on the first two lines and on the powerplay. Let's say if he has a chance to play for example with Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev, there's a definite chance that he will score 50-70 points. It's all about what kind of an opportunity his future NHL team will give him. It's like what his agent said, I hope he gets picked up by a GM that has actually seen Leino at his best.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNtastic View Post
If this mystery, "one same age guy" you're talking about is Petri Kontiola then I have to disagree a bit. I wouldn't say a player who scored 47 points in 51 games dominated SM-liiga last season. I actually wouldn't say that even Leino dominated this season, but I will say that there were games in which he sure did dominate.

If we're comparing Kontiola and Leino and we're speculating on their possible NHL careers I'd say that Kontiola is more likely to have a NHL career. That's because besides the fact that he is an awesome playmaker, he's also good all-around hockey player.

Leino on the other hand is an offensive wizard who has potential to be a good scorer in the NHL. I think it's all about which team offers him a deal. I think we all know that he's never gonna be an effective 3rd-4th liner so he needs a spot on the first two lines and on the powerplay. Let's say if he has a chance to play for example with Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev, there's a definite chance that he will score 50-70 points. It's all about what kind of an opportunity his future NHL team will give him. It's like what his agent said, I hope he gets picked up by a GM that has actually seen Leino at his best.
I did say Kontiola dominated when ON. Which means he had a lot of off games as well. SM-liiga didn't seem challenge enough for my eyes.

And as you did mention Kontiola has a lot better chance to make NHL-career. And that's why you mentioned. Imho he can do allmost everything what Leino does, but same time is much better overall player and a lot better in the own end as well. Leino prolly has better stickhandling skills, while Kontiola has better vision(none of these abilities aren't bad for eachother as well).

And because of Leino's ability even dominate in international games yet I haven't seen anything giving sign he would be ready to play in NHL. AHL would do good, but his personality doesn't really show anything that like he would play in AHL. There is already offensive players in NHL who are having same amount of skill(or more) while being a lot more complete packages. You should be so good offensivily as lets say Kovalchuk to not have need for defensive/complete game. And clearly Leino is very far away from Kovalchuk's.

And btw. I wouldn't surely put him same line with Zherdev&Nash, that would be goal all the time, in their own end that's mostly.

Old
04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Kuhta

Quote:
I did say Kontiola dominated when ON. Which means he had a lot of off games as well. SM-liiga didn't seem challenge enough for my eyes.

Quote:
And as you did mention Kontiola has a lot better chance to make NHL-career. And that's why you mentioned. Imho he can do allmost everything what Leino does, but same time is much better overall player and a lot better in the own end as well.
If Kontiola makes it "big", he will be solid 3rd line centre with 0,5 ppg. If Leino makes it "big", he will be very entertaining ppg player. Kontiola is more likely to have an NHL career, but not on the first two lines.

Quote:
Leino prolly has better stickhandling skills, while Kontiola has better vision(none of these abilities aren't bad for eachother as well).
Sorry, but both goes to Leino.

Quote:
And because of Leino's ability even dominate in international games yet I haven't seen anything giving sign he would be ready to play in NHL.
How many times you have seen him playing for medal in lions? And you don´t have to dominate even on euro tour to be solid NHL player. Guys like Jussi Jokinen didn´t dominate games back here and still had very good start in NHL. And he left SM-liiga with 47 pts in 56 games, Leino with 77 pts in 55 games...

Quote:
AHL would do good, but his personality doesn't really show anything that like he would play in AHL.
Even another year in Sm-liiga would make him a little better too, but it isn´t worth it. House is already built. Same thing with AHL.

Quote:
You should be so good offensivily as lets say Kovalchuk to not have need for defensive/complete game. And clearly Leino is very far away from Kovalchuk's.
Leino is offensive minded player, but he´s not as bad as you make it sound. And if he goes to NHL, he´s top 500 player when he first skates to ice. In Sm-liiga he was Top 1. I guess that will make him more humble to work for the team and earn his spot.

Kuhta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Joretus

Quite obvious you haven't seen much of Kontiola. Since you are so badly underrating him. Another player have been playing already in NHL anyway and another one isn't ready to even play in AHL for his spot according his agent.

Quote:
I guess that will make him more humble to work for the team and earn his spot.
Quote:
House is already built. Same thing with AHL.
So he is ready to fight to earn or not?

Quote:
How many times you have seen him playing for medal in lions? And you don´t have to dominate even on euro tour to be solid NHL player. Guys like Jussi Jokinen didn´t dominate games back here and still had very good start in NHL. And he left SM-liiga with 47 pts in 56 games, Leino with 77 pts in 55 games...
0, since he hasn't been good enough to being in WC/Olympics or any other big tournaments. Which tells a lot, since Finland isn't really filled with top NHL forwards.

And SM-liiga stats aren't really good comparasion. In this case at least. You are comparing one season 21y vs 25y. And as addition of course JJokinen is 0.6ppg in NHL at best in NHL as well. You can just watch eg Salmelainen. Over PPG in SM-liiga and 0.2ppg in NHL. You are giving way too much weight for points in weak SM-liiga. And like 30points more in SM-liiga would mean automatically same in NHL as well. It's different game in NHL in so many ways.

And then Leino being ppg in NHL, yeah, right... this season NHL had ~20 guys PPG. So in your eyes Leino is in about same level as Spezza, Thornton, etc....

You ppl are really being so unrealistic that I have hard time to believe these text... Leino is already 25y. If he would be PPG player in NHL he would already play in NHL. And being PPG player in NHL would mean he would be already clearly best finnish player, which he isn't. He is really long away from being better than lets say Jussi Jokinen who is mentioned above, let alone bein same category as Olli Jokinen, etc. And then already talking about PPG player in NHL... which would make him same class as Alfredssons, Kovalchuks etc.

I hope all the best for finnish players in NHL, but some ppl really have lost clue how big difference there is between NHL and SM-liiga nowadays.

edit:Anyways useless to continue since some1 really seem to believe Leino will be dominating player in NHL just when gets chance. I'll be coming back over here when that happens and say "I were wrong" till then I won't believe it.

Last edited by Joretus: 04-16-2008 at 04:33 PM.