HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brain Crampbell

Old
01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Brain Crampbell

Hilarious thread title aside, it seems that Brain Campbell could be available via the trade. My purpose for making this thread would be two fold.

1. Would you be willing to attempt to create a package of talent to aquire Brian Campbell for this season?

2. Would you be willing to offer Brian Campbell the supposed $6.0 million that he is looking for in terms of an offer this offseason if it meant letting Stillman and Commodore both walk away?

In terms of the first question from my own perspective, I doubt that we have the assets that would be needed to swing that kind of deal for Campbell short of offering both Ladd and Gleason.

In terms of the second point, I would much rather have Brian Campbell for $6 million next season for this team than Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman combined. Offensive defenseman that can produce like Campbell who aren't TOTAL liabilites in their own end do not come up to free agency very often.

Whitney - Staal - Cole
Samsonov - Brind'Amour - Williams
Ladd - Cullen - Walker
Nolan - Hamilton - Adams

Campbell - Gleason
Borer - Kaberle
Wesley - Seidenberg

Perhaps a Babchuk return for that defense also.... does that lineup interest anybody else?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:00 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I love Commodore, but I'd let him and Stillman go to bring a guy like Brian Campbell here in the offseason. No to acquiring him through trade though, we'll have to give up a roster player, a prospect/pick or two to get him and he might not even resign here in the offseason and with the way our season is going now it most likely wouldn't be worth it.

Would be nice to see a D pairing of:
Soupy/puck moving D-man-Gleason
Borer-Wallin
Kaberle-Carson/Babin/Seidenberg/cheap UFA

Wish we could find a way to keep Commy over Kaberle, though, if we do sign an offensive D-man next season. Wesley and Hedican will both be UFAs, so hopefully they'll retire so we don't re-sign them.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:00 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
hahahahahaha.

I can't even answer until I am done laughing at the title.

01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
No to Campbell. He's good but I've always felt he's overrated. I wouldn't want to give up what it would take to get him now because he's not going to fix things and I sure wouldn't pay him $6 mil a season and neither will management. When was the last time we had a dman making that much money? I can't even remember but I'd like to know who our highest paid defenseman ever is.

As for Babchuk, I've been hoping for his return since the day he left.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:05 PM
rgmarsh

trade seems out of the question for the reasons you said, plus why would buffalo deal their best d-man to another eastern conference team...much less us? as far as signing him, 6 mil is what he's asking for now but you know there's gonna be a team that goes above and beyond that number by a ridiculous amount...because just like you said, legit offensive d-men who can actually play defense don't come around very often. remember how much souray got from edmonton? same situation, except campbell is better. that would be my only problem with signing him, however - letting commodore and stillman walk wouldn't bother me in the least if it meant having him at a fair valued contract.

rgmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Afino
The Juice

Way to go old school with the title, CF.

Campbell is available for Ladd + 1st, maybe a mid-level D prospect too. kthxbai.

For as much as our board rips on him, he eats minutes and as you said, isn't a complete liability, although he's prone to the bad turnovers and head scratching moves.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I know it wouldn't fit the organizational mode of operation to give a defenseman that much money but when you have Mike Commodore coming up for free agency and the likelyhood that somebody is going to give him $4 million then you have to weigh the cost benefits of giving him that much as compared to Campbell. Stillman and Commodore for a likely combined $7.5 million or the alternative of Campbell for $6 million seems more attractive to me. We haven't had a defenseman that could play twenty five minutes a night here ....or perhaps since the move.

Sign Sergei Samsonov to a modest contract and hope he can regain his form and improve the defense. I think JR has had a moment of clarity regarding why defensemen are getting so much money via free agency and knows that he needs one.

Old
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61 View Post

Campbell is available for Ladd + 1st, maybe a mid-level D prospect too. kthxbai.

For as much as our board rips on him, he eats minutes and as you said, isn't a complete liability, although he's prone to the bad turnovers and head scratching moves.
I would probably pull the trigger on that move if we were one of two things:

1. Had an extension worked out for Brain Caphell.

2. Were still in playoff contention by late February.

Old
01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
I would rather have Campbell than Stillman and Commodore. Campbell is a good combination of those players and very rarely does he make me go "What the **** was he doing out there?". That is what Tallinder does to me.

I'd do it in a hearbeat, $6 million or no $6 million. This team needs some D!

caniacgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
rgmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61 View Post

I'd piss myself if we could pull that off and then turn around stillman for a return of a first rounder to mitigate the loss ours in the campbell deal.

rgmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Hilarious thread title aside, it seems that Brain Campbell could be available via the trade. My purpose for making this thread would be two fold.

1. Would you be willing to attempt to create a package of talent to aquire Brian Campbell for this season?

2. Would you be willing to offer Brian Campbell the supposed $6.0 million that he is looking for in terms of an offer this offseason if it meant letting Stillman and Commodore both walk away?

In terms of the first question from my own perspective, I doubt that we have the assets that would be needed to swing that kind of deal for Campbell short of offering both Ladd and Gleason.

In terms of the second point, I would much rather have Brian Campbell for $6 million next season for this team than Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman combined. Offensive defenseman that can produce like Campbell who aren't TOTAL liabilites in their own end do not come up to free agency very often.

Whitney - Staal - Cole
Samsonov - Brind'Amour - Williams
Ladd - Cullen - Walker
Nolan - Hamilton - Adams

Campbell - Gleason
Borer - Kaberle
Wesley - Seidenberg

Perhaps a Babchuk return for that defense also.... does that lineup interest anybody else?

Just wondering if there is a reason that you dont have LaRose in that mock lineup up there.....reason for that? I would rather have Rosey than Adams.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote