HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR to play European club teams in exhibition (Open 08-09 in Czech Republic)

Old
01-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 500
NYR to play European club teams in exhibition (Open 08-09 in Czech Republic)

This just in from Dellapina. He notes that the formal announcement for the Prague games will come during All-Star weekend, and then also:
Quote:
It appears as if they will open training camp at the MSG Training Center a few days early and eventually move their base of operations to Bern, Switzerland, to complete camp and play some exhibition games against European club teams.

They’ll then move to Prague to take on the Lightning while Ottawa and Pittsburgh are opening the season in Stockholm.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...pean-club.html

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Kings did this before this season. Actually, they played in a tournament.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
nyrmetros

that is AWESOME news! I wish I had the money to go over there and watch this. More NHL teams should be playing Euro club teams in friendly games as part of the preseason instead of playing meaningless games vs the same NHL teams we see each year.

Glad the Rangers are doing this!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Dont like it.

Maybe for the European fans its great, because they get to see the Rangers or some NHL team play there, thats all good.

But i dont see how this can actually help the Rangers pre season or the marketing/ratings in the US, which is were the real $$$ comes from.

The only positive i can see here is that they can pick up Cherepanov on the way and bring him back to the US

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 08:55 PM
hlundqvist30*

We'll lose

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
redfzn

Sounds good, better than your usual pre-season NHL games.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Dont like it.

Maybe for the European fans its great, because they get to see the Rangers or some NHL team play there, thats all good.

But i dont see how this can actually help the Rangers pre season or the marketing/ratings in the US, which is were the real $$$ comes from.

The only positive i can see here is that they can pick up Cherepanov on the way and bring him back to the US
I like it. Aside from the seats they make season-ticket holders buy, these preseason games probably aren't huge cash cows. They sure don't get ratings, nobody besides us diehards watch them let alone know they are going on. I'm a Rangers/hockey fanatic and I usually leave/turn off those things in the second period.

I don't think another Rangers preseason game is going to help market the game anywhere in the US, so why not take it to europe where people might actually be excited about it.

Europe is a potentially big revenue source.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
pld459666

Not comparing the teams, but the Rangers opened preseason on the 93-94 season in London.

Not such a bad ending to that season if I remember correctly.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:32 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post

Europe is a potentially big revenue source.
If Jagr stays, think of all the Rangers sweaters we would sell over there!

Old
01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Choice

So are they gonna play just Swiss teams or are teams from around Europe going to come to Bern to play them?

Old
01-15-2008, 10:04 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
So are they gonna play just Swiss teams or are teams from around Europe going to come to Bern to play them?
I'd love to see the Rangers play Red Bull Salzburg.

Old
01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
KRM

Ranger fans, demand that they should play one game against Frölunda!!! We gave you Lundqvist, give ous this!

Seriously though, you see many Rangers jerseys at every Frölunda home game (Lundqvist 30 of course...). The game would be an instant sell out. Frölunda are playing Ottawa before their opener in Stockholm, maybe a small tournament which would also feature a Ottawa v. Rangers game would be a good pre-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Kings did this before this season. Actually, they played in a tournament.
Färjestad BK of the SEL almost beat them in the final. Kings scored the game winner (4-3) in the final minute.

Quote:
I would guess that the Rangers will travel to their opponents home arena since the tour is to market the NHL and the Rangers. It's not a long flight (max 3h) from Switzerland to basically any top team in Europe (except the siberian RSL teams...).

Last edited by KRM: 01-15-2008 at 10:27 PM.
KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Ranger fans, demand that they should play one game against Frölunda!!! We gave you Lundqvist, give ous this!

Seriously though, you see many Rangers jerseys at every Frölunda home game (Lundqvist 30 of course...). The game would be an instant sell out. Frölunda are playing Ottawa before their opener in Stockholm, maybe a small tournament which would also feature a Ottawa v. Rangers game would be a good pre-season.

Färjestad BK of the SEL almost beat them in the final. Kings scored the game winner (4-3) in the final minute.
I'd rather they play teams from the top Euro leagues than the Swiss one, which I understand is just slightly above average.

I've thought about getting a Lundqvist Frolunda jersey, they have a pretty cool logo and color scheme.

Old
01-15-2008, 10:32 PM
KRM

Quote:
I'd rather they play teams from the top Euro leagues than the Swiss one, which I understand is just slightly above average.

I've thought about getting a Lundqvist Frolunda jersey, they have a pretty cool logo and color scheme.
This was my guest in the other thread, based on the Ranger players history. But one or more games against Swiss opponents are likely.

Kladno
Pardubice
Frölunda
Avangard Omsk
Ak Bars Kazan
SKA Saint Petersburg

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:52 PM
ruckus*

Renney will give the HBO line 20 minutes of ice time and we'll lose by 3 or more goals since 2/3 of those players should probably be fourth liners somewhere in Sweden.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:53 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Renney will give the HBO line 20 minutes of ice time and we'll lose by 3 or more goals since 2/3 of those players should probably be fourth liners somewhere in Sweden.
The 4th liners are doing better then your Jagr.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
The 4th liners are doing better then your Jagr.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA

wait wait

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHA

I'll stop typing it, but really, I'm still laughing.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 06:06 AM
mattihp

Quote:

I'd say the swiss league is pretty much the fourth best league in europe. VERY technical teams, just not very physical.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
going to Prague pretty much implies Jagr will stay with Rangers otherswise - what's the point.

yes the swiss league is very good - but I can't imagine it being better than Russian, Finnish, Swedish or Czech league.s

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 06:34 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
going to Prague pretty much implies Jagr will stay with Rangers otherswise - what's the point.

yes the swiss league is very good - but I can't imagine it being better than Russian, Finnish, Swedish or Czech league.s
It IMO beats the Czech league in overall quality. It pretty much has the best level of foreigners playing in the league thanks to the taxes, and the climate which makes many finns, swedes, czechs, north americans and so want to play there for almost NHL salaries.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post

Didn't the Kings lose a game in that tourney and also have to win another game like 7-6 after losing 3-0 in the first 5 minutes? I think it was a game where Anze Kopitar decided that the Kings weren't going to lose and won the game by himself.

By the way, that's an impressive looking arena? Looks like they might have speed skating there too?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
It IMO beats the Czech league in overall quality. It pretty much has the best level of foreigners playing in the league thanks to the taxes, and the climate which makes many finns, swedes, czechs, north americans and so want to play there for almost NHL salaries.
In preseason - CSKA Moscow played Geneva in a friendly. Geneva is the 2nd best team in Switzerland at moment. budget around 6/7 million bucks.

CSKA dominated at will....a team a class better than geneva with a budget of around 20 million bucks /year.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Fletch

pld...

they opened in London against Toronto (and beat them, and was it twice?). I'm not sure European clubs will present the same level of competition as Toronto.

I'm split on playing games overseas. On the one hand it's something that can ultimately increase viewership of the overall product as the chance to see games could mean more interest in watching the games. But playing a game here and there, and now and then, is not enough to sustain a real impact other than the initial interest and ultimately could be a waste of time.

Further, does playing European clubs equate to playing NHL clubs and will the Rangers get the needed preseason exercise that's required to get up to speed for the beginning of the NHL season?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
SwissStef

I would love to see them play against the local team SC Bern!
If anyone would have the oportunity to visit this game...thrust me, it's just amazing to watch a game in the PostfinanceArena (former BernArena)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wQh...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be2_w...eature=related

I'm pretty sure, this would be a close one...normally the rangers should win, but if bern has a good day...

Last edited by SwissStef: 01-16-2008 at 02:51 PM.
SwissStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:27 PM
aslim240

Lets hope this means none, or at least fewer. preseason games at the garden for season ticket holders to pay for.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote