Kovalchuk was amazing tonight!

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk was amazing tonight!

I know the Isles won, but I was just amazed by Kovalchuk. He was completely dominant. Only a few bad breaks, and a great game by Dipietro kept him off the scoreboard.

Wow! He is going to be great.

01-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Holly Gunning

Going to be?

Old
01-24-2004, 11:12 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

When Ilya would try to get by two or three defenders as a rookie I thought, well the kid has got skill but he will learn not to do that sort of thing. I had no idea he would be able to do it on a regular basis.

That DiPietro fella is going to get his share of goals too, it would have been fun to see him get one tonight.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:19 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
When Ilya would try to get by two or three defenders as a rookie I thought, well the kid has got skill but he will learn not to do that sort of thing. I had no idea he would be able to do it on a regular basis.

That DiPietro fella is going to get his share of goals too, it would have been fun to see him get one tonight.

I thought the same thing. I thought ihe might turn into a more nasty version of Pavel Bure - lightyears beyond the rest of the league in talent, but so selfish that it all turned into unproductive solo runs. But, his game is really matured. He was so dominant out there that he was opening up ice for his linemates. The Isles defense was double teaming him and droping back everytime he got on the ice.

That was the most impressed I've been with an individual player's performance in a long time.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:33 AM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I know the Isles won, but I was just amazed by Kovalchuk. He was completely dominant. Only a few bad breaks, and a great game by Dipietro kept him off the scoreboard.

Wow! He is going to be great.

I think you mean if he isn't the best in the league now, he will be in a couple years.

Old
01-25-2004, 04:48 AM
cws
...in the drink

"Force of nature", I believe that was a description about him.

In his rookie year, I had some doubts about him (they've been documented). Now, I have none. He is what every team wants, incredible talent with an incredible passion and will to win.

The times were trying, to say the least. But he took it upon himself to get the job done. And he matured very quickly, improved his play in all areas because the team needed it, needed him.

No doubts anymore.

Old
01-25-2004, 06:05 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
I thought the same thing. I thought ihe might turn into a more nasty version of Pavel Bure - lightyears beyond the rest of the league in talent, but so selfish that it all turned into unproductive solo runs. But, his game is really matured. He was so dominant out there that he was opening up ice for his linemates. The Isles defense was double teaming him and droping back everytime he got on the ice.

That was the most impressed I've been with an individual player's performance in a long time.
Just wait until Heater comes back. Double trouble for every opposition defense!

Old
01-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
That's basically how he is every game.

Old
01-25-2004, 07:59 AM
dunwoody_joe

Just imagine what he could do with a real playmaking centerman and a regular finishing winger!

The kid has been doing this all year with rotating Journeyman #1 and Journeyman #2 on his line!

Old
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Pachoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Just imagine what he could do with a real playmaking centerman and a regular finishing winger!

The kid has been doing this all year with rotating Journeyman #1 and Journeyman #2 on his line!

I agree. I think Kovalchuk is going to have a monster year next season. We will have Heatley back. Hopefully Savard can have a healthier year. We will have 3 impact rookies (hopefully) - Jim Slater, a potential #1 center, Lehtonen, our franchise goalie of the future, and Coburn, our future #1 defenseman. Karl Stewart could also make the big club...he has been very solid defensively for the Wolves all season while generating a good level of offense.

Kovalchuk should have a TON more support next season. I predict 100 points if he is healthy all year.

Last edited by Pachoo: 01-25-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old
01-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachoo
I agree. I think Kovalchuk is going to have a monster year next season. We will have Heatley back. Hopefully Savard can have a healthier year. We will have 3 impact rookies (hopefully) - Jim Slater, a potential #1 center, Lehtonen, our franchise goalie of the future, and Coburn, our future #1 defenseman. Karl Stewart could also make the big club...he has been very solid defensively for the Wolves all season while generating a good level of offense.

Kovalchuk should have a TON more support next season. I predict 100 points of he is healthy all year.

Atlanta has a nice future ahead, they have every piece of the puzzle including the most talented player in the league by far. All they need to do is get some depth for the lower lines and for the defense, then, you'll be legitimate stanley cup contenders.

Old
01-28-2004, 10:24 PM
West Coast Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn

dipietro is a goalie...

Old
01-28-2004, 10:36 PM
VAThrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Express
dipietro is a goalie...
DiPietro had several 'good looks' with ATL's goalie pulled late in the game only to have his shots blocked or slightly off target.

Closed Thread