HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk was amazing tonight!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2004, 10:06 PM
  #1
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,619
vCash: 500
Kovalchuk was amazing tonight!

I know the Isles won, but I was just amazed by Kovalchuk. He was completely dominant. Only a few bad breaks, and a great game by Dipietro kept him off the scoreboard.

Wow! He is going to be great.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 10:10 PM
  #2
Holly Gunning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: out and about
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Going to be?

Holly Gunning is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:12 PM
  #3
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
When Ilya would try to get by two or three defenders as a rookie I thought, well the kid has got skill but he will learn not to do that sort of thing. I had no idea he would be able to do it on a regular basis.

That DiPietro fella is going to get his share of goals too, it would have been fun to see him get one tonight.

btn is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 01:19 AM
  #4
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
When Ilya would try to get by two or three defenders as a rookie I thought, well the kid has got skill but he will learn not to do that sort of thing. I had no idea he would be able to do it on a regular basis.

That DiPietro fella is going to get his share of goals too, it would have been fun to see him get one tonight.

I thought the same thing. I thought ihe might turn into a more nasty version of Pavel Bure - lightyears beyond the rest of the league in talent, but so selfish that it all turned into unproductive solo runs. But, his game is really matured. He was so dominant out there that he was opening up ice for his linemates. The Isles defense was double teaming him and droping back everytime he got on the ice.

That was the most impressed I've been with an individual player's performance in a long time.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 01:33 AM
  #5
st_roland
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BUSH CONTRY-Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I know the Isles won, but I was just amazed by Kovalchuk. He was completely dominant. Only a few bad breaks, and a great game by Dipietro kept him off the scoreboard.

Wow! He is going to be great.

I think you mean if he isn't the best in the league now, he will be in a couple years.

st_roland is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 04:48 AM
  #6
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
"Force of nature", I believe that was a description about him.

In his rookie year, I had some doubts about him (they've been documented). Now, I have none. He is what every team wants, incredible talent with an incredible passion and will to win.

The times were trying, to say the least. But he took it upon himself to get the job done. And he matured very quickly, improved his play in all areas because the team needed it, needed him.

No doubts anymore.

cws is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 06:05 AM
  #7
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I thought the same thing. I thought ihe might turn into a more nasty version of Pavel Bure - lightyears beyond the rest of the league in talent, but so selfish that it all turned into unproductive solo runs. But, his game is really matured. He was so dominant out there that he was opening up ice for his linemates. The Isles defense was double teaming him and droping back everytime he got on the ice.

That was the most impressed I've been with an individual player's performance in a long time.
Just wait until Heater comes back. Double trouble for every opposition defense!

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:30 AM
  #8
Lyons71
Registered User
 
Lyons71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
That was the most impressed I've been with an individual player's performance in a long time.
That's basically how he is every game.

Lyons71 is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:59 AM
  #9
dunwoody_joe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,561
vCash: 500
Just imagine what he could do with a real playmaking centerman and a regular finishing winger!

The kid has been doing this all year with rotating Journeyman #1 and Journeyman #2 on his line!

dunwoody_joe is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
  #10
Pachoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Just imagine what he could do with a real playmaking centerman and a regular finishing winger!

The kid has been doing this all year with rotating Journeyman #1 and Journeyman #2 on his line!

I agree. I think Kovalchuk is going to have a monster year next season. We will have Heatley back. Hopefully Savard can have a healthier year. We will have 3 impact rookies (hopefully) - Jim Slater, a potential #1 center, Lehtonen, our franchise goalie of the future, and Coburn, our future #1 defenseman. Karl Stewart could also make the big club...he has been very solid defensively for the Wolves all season while generating a good level of offense.

Kovalchuk should have a TON more support next season. I predict 100 points if he is healthy all year.


Last edited by Pachoo: 01-25-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Pachoo is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 03:20 PM
  #11
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachoo
I agree. I think Kovalchuk is going to have a monster year next season. We will have Heatley back. Hopefully Savard can have a healthier year. We will have 3 impact rookies (hopefully) - Jim Slater, a potential #1 center, Lehtonen, our franchise goalie of the future, and Coburn, our future #1 defenseman. Karl Stewart could also make the big club...he has been very solid defensively for the Wolves all season while generating a good level of offense.

Kovalchuk should have a TON more support next season. I predict 100 points of he is healthy all year.

Atlanta has a nice future ahead, they have every piece of the puzzle including the most talented player in the league by far. All they need to do is get some depth for the lower lines and for the defense, then, you'll be legitimate stanley cup contenders.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
01-28-2004, 10:24 PM
  #12
West Coast Express
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
When Ilya would try to get by two or three defenders as a rookie I thought, well the kid has got skill but he will learn not to do that sort of thing. I had no idea he would be able to do it on a regular basis.

That DiPietro fella is going to get his share of goals too, it would have been fun to see him get one tonight.
dipietro is a goalie...

West Coast Express is offline  
Old
01-28-2004, 10:36 PM
  #13
VAThrasher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Express
dipietro is a goalie...
DiPietro had several 'good looks' with ATL's goalie pulled late in the game only to have his shots blocked or slightly off target.

VAThrasher is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.