HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Third Line: Will it work for the Rest of the Season?

Old
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM
NHLhockey1234

vCash: 500
The Third Line: Will it work for the Rest of the Season?

From Blueshirt Bulletin:

"The Rangers' kid line of Brandon Dubinsky centering Nigel Dawes and Petr Prucha was a bright spot in the otherwise dismal loss to Philly the other night. They were even more of a bright spot tonight, generating two goals, with Prucha getting a goal and an assist, Dawes getting a goal and an assist, and Dubinsky getting an assist and winning 65% of his draws -- all three were +2 and they had eight shots on goal between them. "They're excited to play together," Renney said. "They do the things we look for and they take great pride in it. I like the synergy between those three kids. They work hard in both ends of the rink and have the ability to score."

I was real hard on this line and I didn't think it would work. Now I think it will. What do you guys think? I have never seen Prucha, Dawes, and Dubinsky so happy in my life. They were even working well during the Flyer's Loss. I predict that this line will work for the rest of the season, and if Renney even thinks about sending Dawes down to hartford and tinkering with this line, I am going to buy a ticket just to scream at Renney.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Anything that gets Prucha back to scoring, I like.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Besides the fact that Prucha is still being misused (out of natural position, not enough minutes), it's promising.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
DontStaal

if prucha keeps finding open spaces, it will work

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Forever Blue

Prucha and Dawes can produce in a big way playing with a center who has the puck handling and skating ability of Dubinsky.

Let's hope Renney gives them more minutes.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
another reason for the success is they don't have to defer to a vet on the line. they could simply play the way they've been coached. let's just hope they're consistent...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Levitate

I think it pretty much depends on what happens when Avery and Shanahan come back. They'll probably both retake their places on the 2nd line, but it might bump Hossa down to knock out Dawes or Prucha...dunno how that one will work. I imagine if they continue to play well, they'll stay together, but you never know with Renney. I'm sure he wants to keep Hossa in the lineup somehow

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:54 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Yeah..

now you just gotta

GIVE EM MORE MINUTES.

FFS they controlled the game better than any other line in the game and they only got 9 minutes a piece while the fourth got 10 a piece.

They need 13-15 minutes a piece. FRIGEN RENNEY.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:11 PM
AXN

Don't need any trade if this shakep works. Looking good so far. Give them more ice time.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Larry Melnyk

It will take more then 1 and a half games of decent hockey to decide what these guys can do...Promising start though..If the can be a two-way line, that would be really great....

Straka-Gomez-Jagr
Avery-Drury-Shanny
Prucha-Dubisnky-Dawes (Hossa depending on opponent and play of others)
Holly-Betts-Orr (playing too well now to be touched, but that can easily change)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
bumrusherer

I think ( hope ) so. Its also a line for the future.

Its unlikely that we are going to win the Cup this year. So I would really like for them to get a good run of games to see how good it can be.
In theory, it has all the makings of a very productive line. Good puck handling center that loves to share...Prucha with his aggressive skating and sharp shooting ( potentially asnyway )...Dawes with his good all around offensive game and sharp shooting if the AFL is anything to go by.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think it pretty much depends on what happens when Avery and Shanahan come back. They'll probably both retake their places on the 2nd line, but it might bump Hossa down to knock out Dawes or Prucha...dunno how that one will work. I imagine if they continue to play well, they'll stay together, but you never know with Renney. I'm sure he wants to keep Hossa in the lineup somehow
and keep hollweg and orr against the fast skating teams .

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
and keep hollweg and orr against the fast skating teams .
Yeah, because they have been doing such a poor job

Old
01-13-2008, 11:38 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Yeah, because they have been doing such a poor job

I know the fourth line has been consistent, but if this line produces and the issue with breaking it up is because Renney wants Marcel Hossa out there then Hollweg can sit on the bench. It's a fourth line. They don't score goals. They hit people. They forecheck well. But eventually you've got to score goals. Hossa not being able to score goals fits right in with that. If he's got to be out there and this line is working you simply stick him in for Hollweg. Renney's not THAT stupid guys. I know someone will quote this and say something sarcastic about that comment. But if this line keeps producing he's not going to do anything like that. When it struggles, he will. But that's what he should do.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I agree that I'd like to see the third line stay together if they're performing this well. I think subbing Hossa for Hollywood is also a good idea given the fact that he takes awful penalties at the worst times. I think Hossa could at least keep up with Betts and give them both a chance to generate some offense if they can while still maintaining that shutdown presence.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I know the fourth line has been consistent, but if this line produces and the issue with breaking it up is because Renney wants Marcel Hossa out there then Hollweg can sit on the bench. It's a fourth line. They don't score goals. They hit people. They forecheck well. But eventually you've got to score goals. Hossa not being able to score goals fits right in with that. If he's got to be out there and this line is working you simply stick him in for Hollweg. Renney's not THAT stupid guys. I know someone will quote this and say something sarcastic about that comment. But if this line keeps producing he's not going to do anything like that. When it struggles, he will. But that's what he should do.
Renney has shown that he's willing to scratch Hossa to dress Hollweg this year. Hossa started the year as a healthy scratch and he's been the odd man out when the lineup is healthy. Because Avery, Straka, and Callahan all missed extended periods of time, Hossa has played in a lot of games, but he's far from a fixture in the lineup.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:43 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

If Renney continues to favor the joke line of the team (the Orr line)...then no, it won't work. (Minus Betts of course, the only real NHLer on that line).

If Renney wants to wake up and give the Dubi line 14 minutes a game and the 4th line 6 minutes, then yes...it will work.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Pizza

I'd love to see these young guys stick together and do well. Dubinsky is getting better and better. Prucha looks revived. Dawes is finally looking like he might be in NYC for the long haul.

I find it funny that with about half their playing time, Dawes still has more goals than either Prucha or Dubinsky. The release on that shot of his the other night shows some of the potential Dawes has as a goal scorer. Hope we see more of it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'd love to see these young guys stick together and do well. Dubinsky is getting better and better. Prucha looks revived. Dawes is finally looking like he might be in NYC for the long haul.

I find it funny that with about half their playing time, Dawes still has more goals than either Prucha or Dubinsky. The release on that shot of his the other night shows some of the potential Dawes has as a goal scorer. Hope we see more of it.
dawes played in 24 games 6 goals 8 pts
prucha 42 games 5 goals 12 pts
Dubinsky 45 games 4 goals 14 pts

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
First, it has to produce, Then you aorry about it.. Actually, Hollweg has earned his spot on the ice the past 8-10 games, so soembody else should sit...If the 4th line hits, forechecks, and plays defense, it doesn';t have to score...The other lines have to score...And you don't change lines that work and have chemistry (HBO) for somethingthat might not..It's that simple...If DDP works well,...Hossa can sit...If , as has beeen the case often, Prucah or Dwaes struggle, they can sit..Give the ice time to the guys and lines that earn it.

Old
01-14-2008, 02:21 AM
The Thomas J.*

I hope they stay together, It makes sense that they should, Prucha being the "vet" on that line could really benifit.

Hossa gets bumped to the 4th line or scratched again. The way injuries pile up on this team he wont sit too long.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:24 AM
nickrOck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post
Prucha and Dawes can produce in a big way playing with a center who has the puck handling and skating ability of Dubinsky.

Let's hope Renney gives them more minutes.
i cannot see renney staying the course on this one, before long hossa will knock one of them out of the lineup once shanny and avery are health.. prucha's basically renney's whipping boy in my eyes..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 07:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The DDP line. They're gonna do the Diamond Cutter on everyone

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:52 AM
94now

You can call them what you want, but Dubinsky line is 4th. Betts line is 3rd ( as it should be, BTW). 4th line should play its 6-7 min per game. If someone does a good job, it doesn't mean he has to be given more work or got promoted right away. You play Dubi and his midgets against best lines and they will get killed and people who, as usual, fail to see that will call for Malik's head again afterwards or whatever... Betts line remains the best line we have. When they are on the ice, our defense and goalie look good. Kudos to them.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:58 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
The DDP line. They're gonna do the Diamond Cutter on everyone
nice reference

if it works, let it work....theres no reason y renney shouldnt try this long term because even tho the Rangers won that game vs Le Habs, they still have to keep winning. Let them play together and see if the Rangers can get a line that will work now and possibly in the future

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote