Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

New Open League

Old
03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Section337

vCash: 500
In Alessandro's article he stated:

Quote:
The rosters must be not bigger than twenty-five players, with a maximum of five foreigners. In any match the teams can declare not more than four imports. The no-foreign-goalkeepers rule seems to be gone.
Is it known if foreigners will be defined by the team (non-Germans for Eisbaren Berlin) or would it be by the league (Players from contries without a team)?

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
In Alessandro's article he stated:

Is it known if foreigners will be defined by the team (non-Germans for Eisbaren Berlin) or would it be by the league (Players from contries without a team)?
Let's start that it's very very far from fact that any foreign teams will play. And if they will, they will not under this rules most likely they will be free to play with any roster they can. If anything, Eisbaren just will not be competative with non Canadian lineup.

And, right now, KHL has problems with it's organization, and has a struggle with FHR. The Farjestad and Karpat join can easily be just a PR. move Espescially about Farjestad.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Let's start that it's very very far from fact that any foreign teams will play. And if they will, they will not under this rules most likely they will be free to play with any roster they can. If anything, Eisbaren just will not be competative with non Canadian lineup.

And, right now, KHL has problems with it's organization, and has a struggle with FHR. The Farjestad and Karpat join can easily be just a PR. move Espescially about Farjestad.
Kärpät are just negotiating, not really going. And I don't think they will join. Why? Because of money obviously. They are big team for Finland, good sponsorship money. But not too big stadium and not much potential to grow to challenge teams against Russian "suggar daddies".

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
First off, thanks for the infomation in the article Alessandro. Very interesting and I hope that this league works out. I see no problem with competition for the NHL. If anything it will force them to raise the quality of their product, expand their influence in Europe and provide more minor league jobs for Canadians and Americans helping their development.

If the KHL is keeping all the RSL teams and adding those 2 others, I doubt that many other European Elite league teams would come over too quickly. There is too much risk involved for the major clubs. Like Joretus pointed out sponsorship is a big issue. Why would teams like Farjestad, Karpat or Berlin risk the jump (in the 1st KHL season nonetheless) when they pretty much have it made at home right now.

It may only make sense for clubs that are superior to the rest of their league rivals. This would likely come out of the lower class Elite leagues. But still, wouldn't travel costs be huge?
The one name that I could see getting involved is Anschutz, the LA Kings owner, who also owns Berlin and Hamburg in the DEL, and the O2 centre in London. (I think he might own a few more European Arenas as well).

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote