HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Neill to the Sens?

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2004, 11:24 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
O'Neill to the Sens?

A guy on the Leafs board is saying that the Sens are about to acquire O'Neill from the Canes, he says the deal is very close. So any ideas who goes the other way? Thoughts?

Old
01-22-2004, 11:24 AM
RiellyGood

Not Oneill, the sens are very close to acquiring Peter Bondra from the Caps

Old
01-22-2004, 11:26 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberFan
Not Oneill, the sens are very close to acquiring Peter Bondra from the Caps
Interesting... the Sens are gonna spend some money.

Old
01-22-2004, 11:31 AM
leafaholix*

Not much... if they acquire him, he won't be back next year with the Sens.

Too old... too expensive... not a necessity.

Old
01-22-2004, 11:50 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I would prefer O'Neill to Bondra personally...what do you guys think?

Old
01-22-2004, 11:52 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
I think everyone agrees... but he'd cost much, much more the Bondra.

Old
01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Would we rather give up a lot or not very much?

I love O'Neill, and I've been suggesting we get him for more or less the entire season, BUT, he wont' come cheap now. There seems to be a bit of a bidding war going on for him, and Bondra would come very cheap.

Old
01-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Hugh Nito I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Would we rather give up a lot or not very much?

I love O'Neill, and I've been suggesting we get him for more or less the entire season, BUT, he wont' come cheap now. There seems to be a bit of a bidding war going on for him, and Bondra would come very cheap.
O'Neill would definitely be a fantastic solution but considering Muckler said that he doesn't want to deal anyone from the current roster, it seems a bit far-fetched. Someone on the Trade Rumours board mentioned that O'Neill has had 6 goals in the last 7 games which to me sounds like he will be expensive.

If Bondra could be had fairly cheap, that would be great.

A third player I think the Sens should have a think about is Kristian Huselius. The big question is: Is he a Schastlivy or a Naslund? If he could be had for something like 3rd rounder I think the Sens should try to find out. The potential is definitely there, even though he probably won't score any game-winners in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final this year, judging from his play as of now.

//Nito

Old
01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Nito I
A third player I think the Sens should have a think about is Kristian Huselius. The big question is: Is he a Schastlivy or a Naslund?
The Sens are WAY past the point where they can afford to be experimenting with other teams' forlorn hopes. I hope Muckler continues last season's development strategy, which is trade away picks and prospects that have no shot at making the lineup in the next 3-4 years for proven talent.

Other Dave

Old
01-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Hugh Nito I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
The Sens are WAY past the point where they can afford to be experimenting with other teams' forlorn hopes.
Prefer going with Schastlivy, then? At this stage, it's not really like there is a big logjam at left wing and that he would take valuable ice time from other LW hotshots. IMO, Huselius has more offensive potential than any of the Sens current LW:s, only exception being Smolinski perhaps. I don't think he makes too much (don't know exactly) and FLA definitely seem willing to let him go. The "experimenting" part is more comparable to the Sens taking on Hamel, then Philly trading for Daigle.

Obviously, acquiring a long term solution like O'Neill would change things completely.

Quote:
I hope Muckler continues last season's development strategy, which is trade away picks and prospects that have no shot at making the lineup in the next 3-4 years for proven talent.

Other Dave
Agreed.

Old
01-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Nito I
Prefer going with Schastlivy, then?
No, I'd prefer Muckler traded for 'proven talent' (see above)

Quote:
IMO, Huselius has more offensive potential than any of the Sens current LW:s
IMO, I could care less about 'potential' this year. Gimme somebody who's potted 30 at some point in his career over the best young prospect, as long as it doesn't cost someone off the playing roster.

Other Dave

Old
01-22-2004, 02:14 PM
kidchrome

Quote:

IMO, I could care less about 'potential' this year. Gimme somebody who's potted 30 at some point in his career over the best young prospect, as long as it doesn't cost someone off the playing roster.

Other Dave
exactly

Old
01-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Hugh Nito I

Ok, since Huselius despite the fact that he has outscored "proven talent" like Varada (obviously) and Smolinski the last 2 season, only has gotten 23 + 20 goals in his two NHL seasons, he is not good enough. That's fine with me.

I like this part, though:

Quote:
Gimme somebody who's potted 30 at some point in his career over the best young prospect, as long as it doesn't cost someone off the playing roster.

Other Dave
Smolinski, who was an UFA-to-be, had only reached 30 goals once, back in 93-94. He would have to be considered fairly "cheap", costing only a 19 yo, almost NHL-ready defenceman who was a former 1st rounder. Compared to what the Red Wings, Flyers and Avs have been shipping out at the trading deadline, I think we can agree on that.

What top prospects are you ready to give up to get this "proven talent"? Accroding to tradition, after Gleason and Klepis the 1st rounder in line to be traded would be Eaves. After him, there is also Vermette, Emery, Laich, Mirnov, Platil, Bochenski and "slipping off the radar" Kaigodorov. After that, I think we can agree on that there is not much trade value.

Of course, there are also a few picks that can be involved, even though Ottawa's first very well could be nr 30.

I'm not posting this to awkward (maybe I failed.. ), I just want to know approx what you are willing to give up from a prospect list that is getting a bit thin..

Old
01-23-2004, 11:26 AM
sensfan18

Comparing Huselius to Smolinski is just dumb. You see there is alot more to hockey than just scoring goals, what Smoke brings to the locker room is worth gleason alone. He is a big part of the Spezza/Havlat combo, good defensively and can settle them down when they get rattled. So yes I think Smoke is worth much more than a one-trick pony like Huselius.

Old
01-23-2004, 02:30 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
Comparing Huselius to Smolinski is just dumb. You see there is alot more to hockey than just scoring goals, what Smoke brings to the locker room is worth gleason alone. He is a big part of the Spezza/Havlat combo, good defensively and can settle them down when they get rattled. So yes I think Smoke is worth much more than a one-trick pony like Huselius.
Yes. And I think people who are always describing left wing as a weakness here don't understand the defensive responsibilities of that position on Martin's team. I think Bondra is a good enough defensive player, and obviously has the offensive talent. I assume he would play left wing here. If they can get Bondra and Laraque without giving up starters, I really like their chances.

Bondra Bonk Hossa
Schaefer White Alf
Smolinski Spezza Havlat
Vermette Van Allen Laraque
Fisher and Neil competing for 4th line time

Last edited by lafite: 01-23-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old
01-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Hugh Nito I

I don't believe there ever was any disagreement who the most versatile/useful player was in Smolinski/Huselius comparison. Smolinski is the superior player and himself and Alfie are extremely valuable as leaders amongst the Sens young forward group. The average age of Stanley Cup winning squads of the last 10 years has been very high, making the importance of experience quite obvious.

Old
01-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Ron Jeremy

Bondra?

You guys are nuts. Bondra is washed up and not what the Sens need. Rugged LW who can put the puck in the net and isn't afraid of the corners and the front of the net. In other words, the complete opposite of that Schatslivy guy.
Everyone forgets that the team is missing Fisher. He's not the saviour, but his contribution is sorely missed.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:14 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouDaMan
You guys are nuts. Bondra is washed up and not what the Sens need. Rugged LW who can put the puck in the net and isn't afraid of the corners and the front of the net. In other words, the complete opposite of that Schatslivy guy.
Everyone forgets that the team is missing Fisher. He's not the saviour, but his contribution is sorely missed.
I can sorta of agree with your point in general, but I think Muckler knows this. I think the only way he will acquire Bondra is if it is a deal he can't pass up, for instance the "hnidy and a pick" kind of rumour.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:57 AM
hardcore_fan

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouDaMan
"Washed-up" Bondra has 17 goals for a very bad team, one more than Jagr. I'd like Bondra if the price is low enough.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Ron Jeremy

Speaking of Washed Up

More than Jagr, eh? Hmmmmmm now that guy is washed up. What a baby. Me super model left me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I can't concentrate on my game waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Two words for ya Jaromir..... MARTIN BRODEUR. Divorce=CUP.

Bondra is OK, but not what the SENS need. OK, maybe for a pick or that bum Schatslivy.

Closed Thread