Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kiprusoff

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Puckz

vCash: 500
Just an interview with Turek, he was not too impressed about having to compete for the job... He was also not too impressed with his 9 game audition as he "had troubles winning games" (Turek's words). Report said he had til the Break to prove himself and he didn't fair well, so this could very well be goodbye and expect Kipper to take the reigns or at least be given the shot.

Old
02-10-2004, 08:30 PM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
The Kiprusoff\Turek\McLennan adventure will surely be an interesting one. I think that Kipper should be given a chance to prove he can continue his excellent play from before the knee injury. I think Turek shouldn't be completely discarded in the minds of Flames fans, but that he should be given a bit of a rest if and until Kiprusoff proves he can't carry the load by himself.

Turek is still a quality goalie - he isn't that bad - it's just that he has done some of the wrong things at the wrong times and the Flames faithful don't seem to forgive and forget that easily. Myself included. The big contract, plus the heightened expectations from last season's spectacular start, plus the infamous early-game goals allowed, directly followed by a long period of 'mediocrity' - even though he wasn't playing that bad - all combined in the worst way possible for Turek in Calgary. He hasn't played fully up to his potential, but he has showed glimpses of brilliance even this year. His inconsistency is what makes his true value so hard to determine.

McLennan was and is a perfect fit for the Flames this season. He doesn't mind the role of backup, and you can count on him to play well as often or as rarely as you give him the call. He is the perfect prototypical backup netminder in my mind, and automatically gives consistent goaltending depth to his team in time of injury or cold streak. Always reliable in the clutch.

I don't think the Flames have any reason to move Kipper or Noodles, and since Turek is as close to immovable as players come, I think Sutter will have a tough goalie situation to deal with for the rest of the season.

His choices:
#1.) Ride the hot goalie until he cools off, give the other guy a chance until he cools off, back and forth, back and forth, etc (ie. Minnesota Wild last season);
#2.) Give each goalie a chance to prove they deserve the starting position and then award the best one the Number 1 job until he loses it fairly, based again on performance, etc (ie. Calgary Flames of past);
#3.) Name a Number 1 goalie based on the coach's bias, show confidence in him and stick with him through thick and thin (ie. New Jersey Devils);
#4.) Evenly play all two or three goalies to be fair and to keep them all in game shape in case they're needed later on down the road (ie. ???).

Hope the Flames can score a victory tonight against the Thrashers. We need to start winning some games again...

Old
02-15-2004, 12:40 AM
fcbarcelona

is kipper starting against minny? thx in advance.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If you ask me, and not many people do because I don't frequent this forum, but Kipusoff is a candiate for the Vezina and Hart.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:41 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
is kipper starting against minny? thx in advance.
Hasn't been confirmed yet. But seeing as the Wild are chasing us and we've got a 4 day break following the game, I'd guess that Kipper will play against the Wild though.

Then again, Sutter could throw a curveball and reward Turek for his play against Vancouver with a road start against the Wild.

Find out tomorrow i guess.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:01 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
If you ask me, and not many people do because I don't frequent this forum, but Kipusoff is a candiate for the Vezina and Hart.
He's certainly played well enough, I can agree, but I just don't think he's played often enough, I mean, a 40 game season (about his max) can't be trophy worthy I don't think, but he has be superb.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Stifler

I think it's disappointing that Kiprusoff still hasn't been a Green Hard Hat winner yet. I mean what does this guy have to do to win that thing.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:19 PM
ForeignFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
I think it's disappointing that Kiprusoff still hasn't been a Green Hard Hat winner yet. I mean what does this guy have to do to win that thing.
LOL, he's usually the 1st star!!!

They try to give it to a guy that does the little team things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

EDIT: My 1,000th post!

Old
02-16-2004, 07:30 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Yet another player of the week for Kipper
So, does anyone think it was a coincidence that the team started playing better D once Kipper was back? Confidence in the goalie makes a world of difference.

Closed Thread