HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Does this bother anyone else?

Old
01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Does this bother anyone else?

I could go on a huge rant here but I will keep it short. The Blues and Hawks used to be one of the best rivalries in sports let alone the NHL and for the last couple of years I just havent seen the intensity fron these two teams that was always there in the old days.

These two teams have begun to upgrade their talent level and that is good but we need some serious physical play to enter into these games to get this rivalry back up to par.

At the end of the game last night there was a bit of a Scrum and John Kelly said that McKee was trying to send a message to the Hawks. Who the hell is he kidding that was a nothing scrum. The time to send messages for the next game was 10 or so minutes earlier at least.

I am not only talking about the odd tussle, you start by finishing your checks with a bit more vigor if you are the Blues and the rest of that stuff will come.

The Blues last night looked very similar to the Blue Jackets when we beat then pretty good in STL a week or so back both teams just sort of rolled over and took it on the chin from a division rival, This seems to happen more and more in the new NHL and I think that needs to change

I am not asking for blood on the ice brawls every night but games between division rivals should be more intence than this.

Thoughts

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
General Veers

Oh don't worry my friend. Next year Oshie will be pushing around Toews just like Brian Sutter did to Denis Savard when I was a little kid. As soon as the talent level increases our positions in the Conference will rise which in turn will raise the stakes of every game we play against them resulting in Kinger hammering Koci, scrums after every whistle, etc. It'll be like the old Chuck Division!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
Oh don't worry my friend. Next year Oshie will be pushing around Toews just like Brian Sutter did to Denis Savard when I was a little kid. As soon as the talent level increases our positions in the Conference will rise which in turn will raise the stakes of every game we play against them resulting in Kinger hammering Koci, scrums after every whistle, etc. It'll be like the old Chuck Division!
I hope so my friend.

Old
01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I hope so my friend.
It will. As for what to do about it now, I have no idea. Maybe if the Hawks and us are in the playoff hunt when the 3/23 and 3/29 games come around, it will bring it back to it's old glory!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
St.Louis sports fan

I can't recall even one Blue that finished a check all night except Backes. This is the softest Blues team I've seen in a long time. What the hell is with the defense backing in when an attacker is coming through the neutral zone across the Blueline? They play every player as if Ovechkin is coming at them.. Way too much respect. Step up and hit someone for a change. Please!

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Guy Legend

Given the influx of young talent on both teams, there should be plenty of spark to re-ignite the rivarly. It's going to take both teams becoming good and battling amongst the top of the division or for pivotal playoff seeding (or playoff series) for things to get more intimate....

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
I can't recall even one Blue that finished a check all night except Backes. This is the softest Blues team I've seen in a long time. What the hell is with the defense backing in when an attacker is coming through the neutral zone across the Blueline? They play every player as if Ovechkin is coming at them.. Way too much respect. Step up and hit someone for a change. Please!
I totally agree! There are two funny things about this. 1. Andy Murray asks of his team to be physical every night....so why aren't they and why don't you call them out on it?! 2. The nights we do play physical and forecheck hard... guess what happens....we win.

Oshie will certainly add that dynamic. Him, Backes and Perron would be fun to see. They all got talent and hit(Perron to a degree, though being on this line could spark even more of that).

As for the rivalry, listening to the pregame interviews on the Blues site have brought something to my attention. Both Boyes and Johnson said that there has been a rivalry in the past between these teams, however they both implied that the rivalry would come as these teams moved forward. Therefore, I see no flame from either of these guys about playing against CHI now. I assume, since that is what we are seeing from the team, that this is how the whole team feels.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
BlueNhockeytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I could go on a huge rant here but I will keep it short. The Blues and Hawks used to be one of the best rivalries in sports let alone the NHL and for the last couple of years I just havent seen the intensity fron these two teams that was always there in the old days.

These two teams have begun to upgrade their talent level and that is good but we need some serious physical play to enter into these games to get this rivalry back up to par.

At the end of the game last night there was a bit of a Scrum and John Kelly said that McKee was trying to send a message to the Hawks. Who the hell is he kidding that was a nothing scrum. The time to send messages for the next game was 10 or so minutes earlier at least.

I am not only talking about the odd tussle, you start by finishing your checks with a bit more vigor if you are the Blues and the rest of that stuff will come.

The Blues last night looked very similar to the Blue Jackets when we beat then pretty good in STL a week or so back both teams just sort of rolled over and took it on the chin from a division rival, This seems to happen more and more in the new NHL and I think that needs to change

I am not asking for blood on the ice brawls every night but games between division rivals should be more intence than this.

Thoughts

Amen brother. I have been on board for a while now. I see High School games with more intensity

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:46 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Amen to that and very well put. I think you're right, there's no reason why one team should back off in a Blue vs Hawks game or any game in the central for that matter. I think a lot of it comes down to the extra money being a factor in the way players play over a season and the influx of younger, lower priced players. One things for sure, I miss Tony Twist.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 07:16 AM
StLooFrenchy

When Mayers is on the 3rd or 4th line, he plays hard, finishes every check, and the team rallys around him and does the same. I guess he figures he is a scorer now that he is on the 2nd line. He is useless when he doesn't play physical.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 08:00 AM
ynot89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Amen to that and very well put. I think you're right, there's no reason why one team should back off in a Blue vs Hawks game or any game in the central for that matter. I think a lot of it comes down to the extra money being a factor in the way players play over a season and the influx of younger, lower priced players. One things for sure, I miss Tony Twist.
I second missing twister. he brought it to the ice every night. His fights seemed to energize the crowd and team

ynot89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
c-carp

I know the rules have something to do with the lack of intensity but thining back on it although the teams being bad may have something to do with this back in the Norris division days it didnt matter what the records were when these teams played. They played with intensity if nothing else.

Old
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
When Mayers is on the 3rd or 4th line, he plays hard, finishes every check, and the team rallys around him and does the same. I guess he figures he is a scorer now that he is on the 2nd line. He is useless when he doesn't play physical.
Were Murray's king teams intense? Is this a product of his coaching style?

Old
01-18-2008, 04:15 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I totally agree! There are two funny things about this. 1. Andy Murray asks of his team to be physical every night....so why aren't they and why don't you call them out on it?! 2. The nights we do play physical and forecheck hard... guess what happens....we win.

Oshie will certainly add that dynamic. Him, Backes and Perron would be fun to see. They all got talent and hit(Perron to a degree, though being on this line could spark even more of that).

As for the rivalry, listening to the pregame interviews on the Blues site have brought something to my attention. Both Boyes and Johnson said that there has been a rivalry in the past between these teams, however they both implied that the rivalry would come as these teams moved forward. Therefore, I see no flame from either of these guys about playing against CHI now. I assume, since that is what we are seeing from the team, that this is how the whole team feels.
These players need to grasp the concept that if they keep waiting for the rivalry to create itself it isnt going to happen. They are the ones who control that. If they really feel that way they need a kick in the ass.

Old
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM
br0therj0e

well also part of the problem is there is no longer a blues-blackhawks home and home series. 15 years ago if this game happened on a friday night at Chicago Stadium, well the Blues would send the message with a big ole brawl that Saturday night at the Arena wasn't going to be any fun to play at. The crowd would get in early, already full of drunken Chicago and St. Louis fans, and everyone would be on their feet from the first drop of the puck. With that missing that takes away from the rivalry as well. Bring back the home and home series and you'll start to see a lot of rivalries rekindled.

br0therj0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0therj0e View Post
well also part of the problem is there is no longer a blues-blackhawks home and home series. 15 years ago if this game happened on a friday night at Chicago Stadium, well the Blues would send the message with a big ole brawl that Saturday night at the Arena wasn't going to be any fun to play at. The crowd would get in early, already full of drunken Chicago and St. Louis fans, and everyone would be on their feet from the first drop of the puck. With that missing that takes away from the rivalry as well. Bring back the home and home series and you'll start to see a lot of rivalries rekindled.
Absolutely great point, my favorite Home and home with the Hawks was around Christmas they used to do it every year.

Old
01-18-2008, 07:56 PM
MU_Beerman

Thread of the month! Lot's of great stuff here fellas.

The rivalry has certainly lost its luster. I agree that playoffs are really what get these going, but the players used to bring it every night.

My this Blues team is soft some nights. When they bring it, they win, Murray needs to focus on this. But for some reason they have nights where they seem to shy away from contact. Perron needs to bulk up.

We the fans can also contribute. We can heckle Lalime all night, he sucked here. Give the business to any Hawks fan in your section, travel to Chicago and talk @#%& to their fans. If they won't hate our Blues, we'll give 'em someone to hate. I'll do my best on March 23rd.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 08:29 PM
StLooFrenchy

The truth of the matter, and it's a bitter pill to swallow for us Bluebloods, is we are both pretty mediocre teams. The Blues play down to their competition, and the Hawks are not a very good team.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 08:37 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman View Post
Thread of the month! Lot's of great stuff here fellas.

The rivalry has certainly lost its luster. I agree that playoffs are really what get these going, but the players used to bring it every night.

My this Blues team is soft some nights. When they bring it, they win, Murray needs to focus on this. But for some reason they have nights where they seem to shy away from contact. Perron needs to bulk up.

We the fans can also contribute. We can heckle Lalime all night, he sucked here. Give the business to any Hawks fan in your section, travel to Chicago and talk @#%& to their fans. If they won't hate our Blues, we'll give 'em someone to hate. I'll do my best on March 23rd.
I like to do that as well when I go up there but the players have to get a rivalry going all the heckling does is give us a chance to imitate Joe Frazier.

Old
01-18-2008, 10:11 PM
CuSa_1

I agree, team is too soft. Especially the D, which is why I can't believe anyone has mentioned trading Jackman.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Please let this happen again soon (on knees praying)! They should do this on a free beer night too.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:39 AM
br0therj0e

Can someone explain to me why they did away with the home and home series on consecutive nights in the first place??? Once again you want to build rivalries that's the way to do it, or at least that's what I think. It doesn't do a bit of good to have a Saturday matinée against the Predators and then a Monday evening game against them. All the intensity is gone with the day in between. Just think what the crowd would be like if the Blues were to lose on a Friday night at Joe Louis Arena, and then host the Red Wings on Saturday night at Scottrade. It would be insane. But as they say that's just my .02.

br0therj0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Can someone explain to me why they did away with the home and home series on consecutive nights in the first place??? Once again you want to build rivalries that's the way to do it, or at least that's what I think. It doesn't do a bit of good to have a Saturday matinée against the Predators and then a Monday evening game against them. All the intensity is gone with the day in between. Just think what the crowd would be like if the Blues were to lose on a Friday night at Joe Louis Arena, and then host the Red Wings on Saturday night at Scottrade. It would be insane. But as they say that's just my .02.
That is a great queston that only the NHL brass can answer.

Old
01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
I agree, team is too soft. Especially the D, which is why I can't believe anyone has mentioned trading Jackman.
Regretfully I finally did in a thread I just posted about leadership on this particular Blues team. I think the lack of physical play comes from the toll the shoulder injuries have taken on his body because of you look at this kids history he has always proviced that until these injuries. That is what made him a first round pick and you cant out that in or take it out. I just think his shoulders dont allow him to play his game anymore and it would be best to move him on while we can still get something.

Sad because this kid had the potential to be really effective.

Old
01-22-2008, 03:49 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I see that element lacking in Mayers lately he usually is one of the first ones to step up and he needs to start doing it again.

The whole team needs to stop saying the right things in the paper and each guy needs to just take a look in the mirror and figure out how to be better before we fall so far back that all we have to look forward to is another great pick in the draft.