HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

great wingers of the 80s

Old
01-17-2008, 04:49 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
great wingers of the 80s

who were some of the greatest left and right wingers of the decade. im looking at players more so that werent from the great islanders and oilers teams. i openly admit im not super knowledgable about the history of hockey and ive forgotten some players who i should know

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Nalyd Psycho

vCash: 500
Left wing:
Michel Goulet (Nordiques)
Charlie Simmer (Kings)
Mats Naslund (Canadiens)
Luc Robataille (Kings)

Right wing:
Rick Middleton (Bruins)
Lanny MacDonald (Flames, little bit with the Rockies)
Tim Kerr (Flyers)
Hakan Loob (Flames)
Mike Gartner (Capitals)
Cam Neely (Bruins)
Joe Mullen (Flames and Blues)

Probably missing a few, obviously missing guys like Kurri, Bossy, Tikkanen etc as per your request, but that gives you a few of the big names. Also the Soviet stars Sergei Makarov and Vladimir Krutov.

01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
LeftCoast

Jari Kurri
Mike Bossy
Brett Hull
Luc Robitaille
Mike Gartner
Michel Goulet
Tim Kerr
Charlie Simmer
Cam Neely
Glen Anderson
Theoren Fleury

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Left wing:
Michel Goulet (Nordiques)
Charlie Simmer (Kings)
Mats Naslund (Canadiens)
Luc Robataille (Kings)
I'll take Brian Propp over any of the above, with Naslund 2nd.

Others not mentioned: Dino Cicarelli, Rich Tocchet (2nd half of 80's), Bill Barber (1st half), Steve Larmer, Al Secord (when healthy), Kevin Dineen, Brian Sutter .....

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:33 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

joe mullen was someone i forget about charlie simmer and tim kerr i dont know much about

Old
01-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

Others not mentioned: Dino Cicarelli, Rich Tocchet (2nd half of 80's), Bill Barber (1st half), Steve Larmer, Al Secord (when healthy), Kevin Dineen, Brian Sutter .....
Totally forgot Propp, my bad. Meant to put Larmer. Wasn't sure if Barber was an 80's player or not.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:44 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

i just read the bio of tim kerr on the hockey hall of fame page. how did he suffer the shoulder injury and i take it the injury ruined his career?

Old
01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:

propp was very good. i'd definitely take him over simmer and naslund. but i'd like to hear a justification for taking him over robitaille or goulet. the numbers don't justify it, nor do post-season all-star selections. playoff numbers maybe, but propp was on some pretty stacked flyers teams, while goulet and robitaille, whose playoff numbers are nothing to scoff at, had less help.

also, john ogrodnick and gerard gallant, while not great, each had a run of impressive seasons on yzerman's LW, and deserve a mention if we're including guys like dineen and simmer. also, sylvain turgeon had some pretty good years on LW himself.

LW was a very thin position in the 80s (to say nothing of other decades), and few had a string of 50 goal seasons, robitaille and goulet excluded. there were a lot of consistent 35-45 goal scorers in the 80s though. brian bellows, tony tanti, petri skriko, dave andreychuk, wendel clark, geoff courtnall in the late 80s, as well as the oilers and islanders of course (messier, tikkanen, gillies, tonnelli). pat verbeek is a name conspicuously absent on RW.

Last edited by vadim sharifijanov: 01-17-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: more LWs keep coming to me
vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Tim Kerr posted 4 straight 50 goal season in the 1980's plus setting an NHL record for most goals on the powerplay with 34. In 1985 and 1987 he missed the teams Stanley Cup playoff run with injuries and it was more of those "what might have been if Tim Kerr played in the Finals" scenario.

Would have been a major factor? most definitely...

Dale Hawerchuk's right hand man Paul Maclean deserves to be on this list as he posted anywhere between 30 or 40 goals a year playing along side Hawerchuk. He continued his success in Detroit and St.Louis posting back to back 30 goal seasons.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:50 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
propp was very good. i'd definitely take him over simmer and naslund. but i'd like to hear a justification for taking him over robitaille or goulet. the numbers don't justify it, nor do post-season all-star selections. playoff numbers maybe, but propp was on some pretty stacked flyers teams, while goulet and robitaille, whose playoff numbers are nothing to scoff at, had less help.
Propp was far and away the best forward on those Flyers teams of the mid-80's. Something Goulet certainly could never say.

While Propp didn't put up the numbers of the other two, he was a better all-around player than either. He also never had the opportunity to play with a #1 center.

Old
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM
frontsfan2005

Tony Tanti is another name that deserves to be on the list, if its regular season only. He played for some horrible Canucks teams, but between 1983-1988, he scored at least 39 goals a season, topping off at 45 in 83-84. Never did much in the playoffs though when the Canucks actually qualified, scored 1 goal in 14 playoff games during that time frame.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:18 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Propp was far and away the best forward on those Flyers teams of the mid-80's. Something Goulet certainly could never say.

While Propp didn't put up the numbers of the other two, he was a better all-around player than either. He also never had the opportunity to play with a #1 center.
he did play with bobby clarke early on, but i get your point. honestly, i don't remember all that much about propp's flyer days. i remember him in minnesota, though. i was pretty young in the mid 80s, but the guys i associated with that team were howe, mccrimmond, and kerr, and later ronnie hextall and tocchet. but tell me more about propp. sounds like i should know more about him.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:37 PM
brianscot

Dave Taylor was always a favorite of mine, as was Brian Sutter.

Another name seldom mentioned anywhere is Rick Kehoe. He scored 371 career goals, mostly playing on horrible pre-Mario teams in Pittsburgh.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 07:43 AM
100mph slapshot

Mike Bullard is another forgotten name from the 80s. He scored 51 goals for the Penguins in 83-84 and a career-high of 103pts for the Flames in 87-88. Was a consistant PPG-player for the whole decade.

100mph slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 07:54 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
he did play with bobby clarke early on, but i get your point. honestly, i don't remember all that much about propp's flyer days. i remember him in minnesota, though. i was pretty young in the mid 80s, but the guys i associated with that team were howe, mccrimmond, and kerr, and later ronnie hextall and tocchet. but tell me more about propp. sounds like i should know more about him.
Propp played on the same team as Clarke during his early career, but never really played with him.

He played with Ken Linseman early in his career, and Poulin was his center during the mid-late 80's.

Howe and Propp were the two best players on those Flyers teams that went to the Finals twice in the mid-80's. Howe should be a Hall of Famer, a brilliant all-around defenseman.

Kerr, put up the big goal totals, and had great hands in front of the net, but Propp was far and away the teams best all-around winger. He was often the one setting Kerr up, and also a 40+ goal scorer, and brilliant penalty killer.