HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We don't need Gonchar!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2004, 11:29 PM
  #1
darrylsittler27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
We don't need Gonchar!

Sergie Gonchar is -28 ,last time i checked.We are heading into a strike of unknown length, and Antropov is one of(our only) good young forwards.This would be a huge mistake.Firstly,we need a big stay at home defenseman,secondly Gonchar doesn't play defense.......much.Offense isn't our problem but come the playoffs,berg,kaberle,marchment,jackman,Pilar etc sure will be.As far as i'm concerned,McCabe and Klee are the only true defenders we have.If either one goes down in the playoffs we will get shredded by philly,n.j or ottawa.Secondly,adding him means if a bonafide vet defenseman becomes available our "budget" will be loaded up already.This is giving away our future for a fix that won't work or last.After the strike all our older forwards will be gone and gonchar possibly as well.I'd rather trade berg,pilar etc for a vet defenseman who recognizes defense wins cups.Kaberle and Gonchar looks good on paper but it won't win a cup! The ny ranger approach doesn't work.

darrylsittler27 is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 01:06 AM
  #2
EdBelfour20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 835
vCash: 500
Gonchar is -22, not -28 on (basically) the worst team in the league. He also has 43 points! The team combined is a minus 203, while the leafs are a plus 37. Not fair to compare plus/minus between players on a different team.

EdBelfour20 is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:25 AM
  #3
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,537
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I honestly don't think Gonchar is the answer for the leafs. Though I do agree he would help on the offensive aspect of the game. We have never had a defenseman in the system that produced offensively like Gonchar. On the other hand we could really use a nasty defenseman who knows his limits and plays a simple defensive game. Names that Jump out at me are Norstrom and Smith, It would be nice if the leafs could add one of these 3 guys as I think they could all contribute well.. Or IMO if they trade for Gonchar then go out and sign a Yuskevich to a contract for the remainder of the season and you now have depth for the playoffs.. I just hope if these Gonchar rumors are true that Berg is still with the leafs come the playoffs He is a rock for the buds on the blue line.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:28 AM
  #4
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Do I want Gonchar? YES!
Is he an absolute necessity? No.
Would I acquire Gonchar if it meant not giving up Antropov or a top prospect? YES!

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:37 AM
  #5
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
I am not in favor of acquiring Gonchar either - particularly if it means losing Berg, let alone Antropov. Rick Vaive talked about acquiring Boughner - he would be exactly the kind of addition the leafs could use. Ideally I'd like to get an even better player, but if Boughner can be acquired for a prospect or pick than that is what I do foru sure.

Add a guy like Oneill or Bondra as a bonus, then I say, bring on the playoffs!

wasting time is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:39 AM
  #6
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Darryl Sydor would be a sweet pickup.


leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:44 AM
  #7
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Darryl Sydor would be a sweet pickup.

Sure, I am all over acquiring the best possible defenseman without:
1. losing a player off the top 3 lines (including Stajan) or the top 6
2. losing a top prospect
3. losing a first rounder.

So if a trade can be made involving Perrott, Jackman, Johnson et al., Kidd, and not someone like Coli Telly Steen et al. then go for it. Boughner could be that kind of acquisiion, same with Zhitnik.

wasting time is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 07:55 AM
  #8
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,537
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Darryl Sydor would be a sweet pickup.

How is Sydor playing this season? I mean other then the stats.
gp_g_a__p_+-
49 2 13 15 -19 Because we all know stats can lie.
Has he been as horrid as his numbers show or is it just a matter of bad numbers from playing on a bad team. I always liked Sydor and thought he was underrated with the Stars blue line. I would love to see him in a leafs jersey for a playoff run just as long as he has not been playing as bad as his numbers show. Sydor and Bougner IMO would bring alot more to the leafs then Gonchar and IMO would cost less for both them then Gonchar alone.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 08:07 AM
  #9
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
I haven't seen him this season... or atleast I don't think so.

But he's proven to be a good 40 point guy on a contender. He was a +89 over 7 years with Dallas. That's insane.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 11:34 AM
  #10
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27
Sergie Gonchar is -28 ,last time i checked.We are heading into a strike of unknown length, and Antropov is one of(our only) good young forwards.This would be a huge mistake.Firstly,we need a big stay at home defenseman,secondly Gonchar doesn't play defense.......much.Offense isn't our problem but come the playoffs,berg,kaberle,marchment,jackman,Pilar etc sure will be.As far as i'm concerned,McCabe and Klee are the only true defenders we have.If either one goes down in the playoffs we will get shredded by philly,n.j or ottawa.Secondly,adding him means if a bonafide vet defenseman becomes available our "budget" will be loaded up already.This is giving away our future for a fix that won't work or last.After the strike all our older forwards will be gone and gonchar possibly as well.I'd rather trade berg,pilar etc for a vet defenseman who recognizes defense wins cups.Kaberle and Gonchar looks good on paper but it won't win a cup! The ny ranger approach doesn't work.
good point(s)
i think a clear the net two guy like mccabe would be better
of course, you get what you can and if gonchar's the only notable guy out there then i'd get him all the same

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
  #11
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Do I want Gonchar? YES!
Is he an absolute necessity? No.
Would I acquire Gonchar if it meant not giving up Antropov or a top prospect? YES!

I strongly agree with your first point and you second point.

Your third point is so clear that I need not state my agreement.

Would that all posts were as consise and as clear as yours.

Augustus is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 12:29 PM
  #12
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,490
vCash: 500
I think a trade with Antropov + Berg/Jackman/Pilar for a stay at home defenseman would work greatly in our favour. Antropov is a horrible lanky skater that constantly is coughing up the puck or taking stupid penaltys. The Leafs are a far more disiplined team this year with the exception of him. Sure, he finds the back of the net time to time but he is nothing like we all expected him to be. The Leafs have enough up front to unload him, and we need a top 4 defensemen to pair with Klee before the playoffs.

Raging Bull is offline  
Old
01-25-2004, 12:55 PM
  #13
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
There are no stay at home players on the market right now that I'd move Antropov for.

Also, Berg/Jackman/Pilar are not in the same class... so you really can't say 1 of the 3 as Berg is our #4 and superior to the other two. He's only 26 and has shown that he's capable of being a solid #4 player.

And Antropov is not horrible. It may be a bold statement, but he's probably got as good vision and hockey sense with the puck as anyone on the team. The problem is that he's a pretty average skater and hasn't stayed healthy.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 12:46 AM
  #14
sluggo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
1. losing a player off the top 3 lines (including Stajan) or the top 6
2. losing a top prospect
3. losing a first rounder.
Then you're going to have a real hard time making trades. Sydor or Boughtner would be great players for the Leafs to pick up. Gonchar would be a good one as well, and I would move an Antropov or a Kaberle (if they get Sydor or Boughtner) to get him. Antropov has potential, but is a project, let the Caps take the risk on him while the Leafs make a run for the Cup.

sluggo* is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 01:01 AM
  #15
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Then you're going to have a real hard time making trades. Sydor or Boughtner would be great players for the Leafs to pick up. Gonchar would be a good one as well, and I would move an Antropov or a Kaberle (if they get Sydor or Boughtner) to get him. Antropov has potential, but is a project, let the Caps take the risk on him while the Leafs make a run for the Cup.
Kabs for Boughner? Whoa! Sorry sluggo but I cna't see your reasoning in that one. Kaberle is a proven #2 offensive defensman. And while he may be outmatched physically (especially in the corners) he plays exceptionally well positionally and is an excellent skater and passer. Boughner is a carbon copy of Marchment this season. Even Sydor is a lateral move for me if we give up Kabs.

Edit: Whoops, miss-read


Last edited by Verbal Kint*: 01-26-2004 at 03:48 AM.
Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 01:11 AM
  #16
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,921
vCash: 500
Darryl Sydor would be awesome, and probably better than Gonchar:

1. He'd cost less to pick up in a trade

2. He's a Stanley Cup winner

3. He's played with Ed Belfour and Joe Nieuwendyk. I'm assuming this is a good thing for chemistry and familiarity.

4. He'd be a speedier guy for the breakout

Stephen is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 01:13 AM
  #17
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Kabs for Boughner? Whoa! Sorry sluggo but I cna't see your reasoning in that one. Kaberle is a proven #2 offensive defensman. And while he may be outmatched physically (especially in the corners) he plays exceptionally well positionally and is an excellent skater and passer. Boughner is a carbon copy of Marchment this season. Even Sydor is a lateral move for me if we give up Kabs.
I think he meant if we get 1 of sydor or boughner, then he would trade kaberle in a deal for gonchar

Pinto is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 01:26 AM
  #18
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Then you're going to have a real hard time making trades. Sydor or Boughtner would be great players for the Leafs to pick up. Gonchar would be a good one as well, and I would move an Antropov or a Kaberle (if they get Sydor or Boughtner) to get him. Antropov has potential, but is a project, let the Caps take the risk on him while the Leafs make a run for the Cup.
Gonchar would not cost us Kaberle.

Trusssssssst me.

Washington sould be thrilled to land Antropov and Berg.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 02:34 AM
  #19
Big Mama*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: West Palm Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 7,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Darryl Sydor would be a sweet pickup.

Not bad. That was a dumb trade by Armstrong especially after losing Hatcher. Leafs need a big tough defensive d man. The guys I like are jay Mckee, Rhett Warrener Aaron Miller and Eric Brewer. All are big and tough.

Our best success in the playoffs came when Markov and Yushkie were paired against other teams best forwards. A strong d duo of Klee and jay McKee would play 20 minutes a night against the other teams best forwards. This would free up McCabe and Kaberle to generate offense. I would look for this type of trade from GM Jr.

Maybe Antropov and Kaberle for Brewer and Smyth. That is good and fair.

Big Mama* is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 02:35 AM
  #20
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
Not bad. That was a dumb trade by Armstrong especially after losing Hatcher. Leafs need a big tough defensive d man. The guys I like are jay Mckee, Rhett Warrener and Aaron Miller. All are big and tough.

Our best success in the playoffs came when Markov and Yushkie were paired against other teams best forwards. A strong d duo of Klee and jay McKee would play 20 minutes a night against the other teams best forwards. This would free up McCabe and Kaberle to generate offense. I would look for this type of trade from GM Jr.
What about Keith Carney...does anyone know his contract years?

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 02:37 AM
  #21
Big Mama*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: West Palm Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 7,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
What about Keith Carney...does anyone know his contract years?

He makes my list. The good news is that GM JR knows the West teams or he should although he was living in Hartford with his AHL team. Thats scary.

Big Mama* is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 02:40 AM
  #22
TML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton
Country: Estonia
Posts: 1,742
vCash: 500
If i had to pick up a defenceman in a realistic trade it would be Boughner, Zhitnik, Gonchar, or Matvichuk. Any one of those above mentioned players would be a great addition to the Leafs.

TML is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 02:41 AM
  #23
TML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton
Country: Estonia
Posts: 1,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
What about Keith Carney
Carney is injured, I'm pretty sure he's out for a couple months.

TML is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 02:48 AM
  #24
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnCreativity
Carney is injured, I'm pretty sure he's out for a couple months.
hmm...could put a damper on things...I'd check what they want for him still, we did it for Housley, and offensive game is easier to get back than defensive game...so if he returns from injury he could still be an asset if we grabbed him up.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 03:32 AM
  #25
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,537
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
hmm...could put a damper on things...I'd check what they want for him still, we did it for Housley, and offensive game is easier to get back than defensive game...so if he returns from injury he could still be an asset if we grabbed him up.
Yeah and we all know how good ole Phil turnt out to be for us.. Sheesh He alone caused 2-3 goals in one game.. that was a great pickup. but I know what you are saying Keith if healthy and playing to his ability would be a great pickup.

Though I really think JFJ is going to land us a huge steal that could put this team over the top be it a Defenseman or Forward or both I just think it is going to happen. *Sigh* Remember the Gilmour deal ahhhhhhh if only :dazzle:

Joey24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.