HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First REAL pratice as a player.

Old
01-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Danrozen

vCash: 500
First REAL pratice as a player.

Up until about 3 years ago, I had been a goalie since the age of 5. I then quit for studies but now I've skated on and on for the last few months and I've now got into the Swedish Seniordivision 3. Quite pleased and first pratice went well scoring a goal actually ;>. I probably looked like Bambi on skates when I was trying to get about but it was well fun. Looking forward to see if I can make the starting line-up's at some point. Will onward update with new information when I got the opportunity.

If you got any suggestions on exercises that can improve my skating and/or game, please post. I need all the help I can ;> I skate for about an hour a day + scheduled pratices.

Danrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:00 PM
saveourpens

just be on the ice as much as you can good luck

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

On days wehn I don't have a practice or game. I run up and down staircases for 20 minutes. If you don't live in an apartment building like I do, just tun for 30 miutes or so at a local park.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Danrozen

Yeah, been trying to go down to the local rink after work but after that I am often tired so I don't go running as much as I should. I might focus a bit more on the actual skating a few weeks more before I step the running up a notch. The greatest difference between being a goalie and a regular player so far has been the intensity. Sure you can have an intense game as a goalie, but not in the same way as you do chasing the puck down the sides, taking hits. It's great fun though, I just feel a little beat up. Anyway, other than playing that I can do to prepare for the experience on ice - off ice?

Old
01-09-2008, 02:11 AM
YogiCanucks

Do a lot of cardio training until you're SUPER fit. Then do strength stuff and staircases.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Danrozen

As mentioned I get to the rink after work, most times I try to "push it" in intervals. But as the on-ice sessions with the team are once every other day I am afraid I might overdo it a bit. Today the team got an ice session and I plan to head down before the actual pratice and work some more on acceleration. But cardio in general, righto. Will note that.

Old
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrozen View Post
As mentioned I get to the rink after work, most times I try to "push it" in intervals. But as the on-ice sessions with the team are once every other day I am afraid I might overdo it a bit. Today the team got an ice session and I plan to head down before the actual pratice and work some more on acceleration. But cardio in general, righto. Will note that.
Don't note that unless you know what cardio means. No longer do players go on long runs to train for hockey. A new idea has developed involving energy systems. I suggest you look this up. What it boils down to is you must train the right systems for use in a contest. Since your body will draw from all three sources for energy, all should be trained but IMO if you're a player looking to have the most powerful, explosive, and sustained shift of 45 seconds you better train for that duration specifically.

You will want to focus your efforts on Anaerobic (ATP/CP as energy) anywhere from 1-45 seconds, Anaerobic-Lactate 45-120 seconds (Muscle glycogen as energy), and finally Aerobic which is any exercise 2 minutes plus that uses oxygen basically.

Use interval training that mimics what goes on in a hockey game. Sprint all out for 45-60 seconds, and then rest 3x that amount to mirror the time for a shift and then time for rest on the bench waiting for your next shift. Use plyometrics to develop explosive leg strength and capacity. You'll find your stride becomes much, much stronger and crisper with this jump training.

This video has been such a tremendous help for me:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZajP6CKhPdM

And most importantly: Be smart about it! Don't overtrain although the urge will be there.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
EmptyNetter

I focus on agility -- being able to shake a defender or follow the puck is just too important.

Practice stops and quick starts --
Skate at top speed from blueline to blueline, make a quick stop and then dash back to your starting point. Repeat. If you face the same side of the rink on every stop you'll practice left and right stops (which is important). I know too many novice players who skate well but can't stop to save their life. They either take themselves out of the play or collide with players or the boards and risk injuring themselves.

Practice crossovers --
Tight turns can be more valuable than stopping since you keep your momentum and save energy. Figure 8's are a good way to practice left and right crossovers. Use two faceoff circles and skate around them, clockwise around the first and counter-clockwise around the second. Make sure to lean into your turns -- lower body leans into the circle while upper body leans away to maintain balance. Increase your speed as you get comfortable doing it. Make smaller circles increases the level of difficulty. If you're comfortable, do the same thing skating backwards.

Practice turning from front to back and back to front --
Pretty much says it all, eh?

Off ice I try to do balance and agility work -- anything to strengthen your legs and core muscles is great. The better you keep your balance and lower your center of gravity the easier it will be for you to stay on your feet whether you're turning or streaking down the wing.

Being a goalie I assume your hand-eye coordination doesn't need any work. Besides balance is there anything you see as a weakness in your game?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Danrozen

Thanks for the great response.

There was alot of new information, being kind of new to the term "CARDIO" I got spot on information from above posters. CARDIO translated for me is basically "Pushing your endurance to the max", through either longer runs or intense intervals. I looked up suggested exercise and it seems I should drop the marathon like build-up runs. The intensity is what I want to maintain and build-up to more than a sub-par level ;P

Off-ice, I feel that simulating a game is somewhat hard, but sprints and stops at a high pace is what I'll do for starters. On ice, I'll try and simulate actual game situations and going all out for the length of a shift as suggested.

Going from a great overview of play as a goalie, I still feel the hardest part so far has been adjusting to tactics and plays. Where I should be when. Been looking at some games following the guys in my position. See how they act in certain situations.
We had a Penalty killing session last pratice where we were playing 5 against 4 (Me being in the PK) for about 30 minutes. The coach took me aside everytime he felt I was out of place and I think I got a hand of it as we went on. Being assigned a forward is much fun.. and painful. I took a shot to the chest while blocking the D's shots. Still sore, but yeah, I think that positioning otherwise my greatest weakness. Thankfully the Coach is very helpful, also the players encourging me to ask for advice if needed. I actually managed to score during our PK, was cheering like a mad man as it felt real good.

Today I got a day off for once, but tomorrow it's down to the rink. I might get an hour or two if lucky (Think there is some sort of minor cup) and will do the best of it.

Keep 'em coming - Off-ice shot training ?

Dan