HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Canada Cup 76 had been 7 game series...

Old
01-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

vCash: 500
If Canada Cup 76 had been 7 game series...

If Canada Cup 76 had been 7 game series, who would have won and why? For the first time, the best players from the worlds best hockey countries - Canada, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Finland, Sweden and the US competed in an international tournament. Canada was naturally considered the team to beat. Led by legendary coach Scotty Bowman, the team included such all-stars as Phil Esposito, Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne, Darryl Sittler, Bobby Hull, Denis Potvin, Bobby Clark and the great Bobby Orr in his last hockey tournament. Its one of the greatest showdowns in hockey history as the Canadians faced Leafs legend Borje Salming, Vladimir Dzurilla, Victor Zhluktov, Matti Hagman, Alexander Maltsev and Milan Novy on the opposing teams.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Good, ‎Nalyd Psycho is here. He's usually pretty good about educating me.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Canada. Neither the Czechoslovakians or the Soviets took the tournament seriously. For USSR, there was a lot of skepticism about the legitimacy of the tournament and they kept many stars at home to test the water. While the Czechoslovakians were good, they were simply too far behind Canada talent wise to win a best of seven. Although Holocek would likely have broken the slump and stole a game or two from Canada. But more so, they felt the Soviets were the enemy. Fun to test themself against Canada, and they'll play hard, but the fire inside ignited against the Soviets.

So, Talent wise, it's Canada then USSR then Czecholsovakia, but Canada played like it was a playoff series, something really meaningful, USSR played like it was an exhibition and Czechoslovakia played like it was a regular season.

01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
brianscot

In 1976, Kharmalov, Boris Mikhailov, Vlad Petrov, and Alexander Yakushev all didn't participate in the Canada Cup --- Kharmalov due to his car accident and the others due to god only know what.

The Czech's actually won the World Championship in both 1976 and 1977 so their strong play isn't too surprising.

I'm not sure that Rogie Vachon has ever gotten enough credit for his play during the 1976 Canada Cup.

Yes, there were 5 hall of famers on that blue line, but Rogie did have two shut outs and team Canada didn't miss the absence of Ken Dryden at all.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Reks

Shadrin, Tsygankov, Liapkin didn't participate either.

Reks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Big Phil

Seven game series? 4-1 for Canada. The Czechs most likely steal a win in overtime. But Canada in '76 was just too strong for anyone and my personal opinion is that this team would win against anyone in a 7 game series. That includes the '81 Russians and the '87 Canadians.

You have to remember, it was Dryden and Parent both injured. That could have been cause for concern but Vachon played unbelievable and whenever someon criticizes his career (not in the Hall yet) I bring up '76. He was fabulous. When you think of it the other goalies on that team were Chico Resch and Gerry Cheevers. I'm glad Vachon held the fort. Because Cheevers wasnt quite as good in '76 anymore and ntohign against Resch but he never had any proof that he could win a tournament like this one

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Reks

Offtopic:
I think Russia 79 (Challenge Cup) > Russia 81 (Canada Cup).

Reks is offline   Reply With Quote