HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Duvie on waivers

Old
01-18-2008, 11:50 PM
ca5150

vCash: 500
He has been one of the class acts in the league and on the team for years and I will miss him. He was very nice in person and always had time for everyone. I sure hope he ends up in the NHL again very soon if not immediately. I'm a little nervous putting all our eggs in the rookie basket right now, we need veterens down the stretch and Duvie has a good right hand shot. I hope he clears waivers and regains his game in Syracuse and makes his way back at some point.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:12 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Good luck, Duvie. You've been one of my favorite Jackets for years and I'm gonna miss ya!

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
He has been one of the class acts in the league and on the team for years and I will miss him. He was very nice in person and always had time for everyone. I sure hope he ends up in the NHL again very soon if not immediately. I'm a little nervous putting all our eggs in the rookie basket right now, we need veterens down the stretch and Duvie has a good right hand shot. I hope he clears waivers and regains his game in Syracuse and makes his way back at some point.
I don't mean to knock on Duvie(this is more to the credit of Marc), but since you brought it up I want to comment on it. I know we're going down the stretch now, but if you ask me, I feel much(MUCH) more confident with Methot out there, especially when paired with Russell, than Duvie. Sure, he's a right hand shot, but has 4 points in 23 games with a lot of PP time. I know the same argument could be made against Russell, but he's a rookie and has a MUCH higher ceiling, which is why, when picking between the two, it's a no brainer.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 01:27 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Doug MacLean would never have stood for this insult!!

In Fairness to Both sides:

Duvie was a bright spot during the first few seasons, the dispatch never stopped running stories about how we were 16-12-4 with Duvie in the Lineup and 11-19-3 without him in the lineup. (or some crazy stuff like that)

and:

Duvie just flat couldn't stay healthy for more than 10-15 games at a time... The young talent found a way up through the cracks and took his spot.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 01:29 AM
cbj21

Hope he gets picked up, for his sake.
The injuries hurt him allot, good luck in the future Duvie, here, there or elsewhere.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I predicted this.

At least I can say I was right on at least one of my predictions.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Xoggz22

Yes, good luck to Duvie. I personally hope that if he doesn't get picked up by someone that he'll retire. I would hate for someone with his character and determination to struggle with life (down the road) given his injury history. It woudl suck for him to get hurt again and more so down in the AHL.

Reminds me of a story....

I met Duvie on his first call up to Columbus. Of all things he was leaving through the black and blue bar at the NAT in street clothes. He was alone and had just played a good game - even had a scrap. I said "hey, you're Duvie Westcott aren't you?" He was extremely gracious and walked out of the arena with me talking like we were old friends who just enjoyed a hockey game. I remember how thankful he was to the organization for giving him a chance and how humble and down home. Great guy. I wish him luck.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Matt

He is a few hours short of getting his degree in economics. I hope he finishes.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I liked Duvie as well. Problem is he is a shell of the player that he was before. I think he could be a huge asset to the D corpse in the Cuse. From the sounds of things they could use some leadership down there.

My all time Duvie highlight was the night he absolutely kicked Sean Avery's ass.

Here is the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA72bTuaQRg

Last edited by Dr. Fire: 01-19-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I liked Duvie as well. Problem is he is a shell of the player that he was before. I think he could be a huge asset to the D corpse in the Cuse. From the sounds of things they could use some leadership down there.

My all time Duvie highlight was the night he absolutely kicked Sean Avery's ass.

Here is the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA72bTuaQRg
I was at that game, it was awesome seeing Duvie flying out of the penalty box and going right to Avery.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 08:50 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Yes, good luck to Duvie. I personally hope that if he doesn't get picked up by someone that he'll retire. I would hate for someone with his character and determination to struggle with life (down the road) given his injury history. It woudl suck for him to get hurt again and more so down in the AHL.
With 2 years and 3.6 million still on the table? Not likely...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
WapakJacketsFan

Any word yet on whether Duvie cleared waivers or was picked?

WapakJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
pickledcotton

Yes. He cleared waivers and was assigned to Syracuse. Welcome back Duvie!

pickledcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
CBJ 97 61 16

Link: http://syracusecrunch.com/News/Detail/1818

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuvie

Send a message via AIM to Duuuuuuuuuuvie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
My cousin must be weaping in his Westcott jersey. He's one in the upper bowl that says "Duuuuuuuuuuvie" on the nameplate.

For all the old timers: remember the Westcott versus Walser battles we'd have around here? Ah, the good ole days, dissecting the Kallio trade and wondering what to do with Nedorost.
It's a sad day. I'm glad he cleared because I hate to lose a puck moving defenceman even if he isn't what he once was. Our PP this year is still a good 8 pts higher when hes in the lineup.

I'll be the first to say that I'm biased, but I honestly don't think we've seen the last of him. The errors I saw in him were natural considering the time he missed. If he can play hockey for 10-15 games then it would be fair to see where he is at. It would be awesome if he could get 2 months of condititioning in and join us for the playoff push.

Oh, and Duvie could outplay Walser standing on his head (no pun intended).

Duuuuuuuuuuvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Looks like I'll get to see him here on Tuesday when the Monsters play the Crunch, I'll let you guys know how he looked.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:46 PM
jore

Duvie's a great guy, he was also a fan favorite while playing in Finland. He isn't the same after the concussions, I think he'll be done after the season. He's too expensive to be on the minors, so he'll be bought out.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Westcott was fine when the Blue Jackets were not what the Blue Jackets are today. Time to move on folks, if you all want the playoffs get used to fan favorites being waived, traded or bought out. The Jackets were a 75 point team for six years for a reason.

Westcott has earned and will still earn enough money to make his remaining life a pretty rich one. He will be fine. He knows the score, he's no child. He gets nearly 2 million bucks if bought out for doing nothing. That's more cash than every poster here can make in 1 or 2 years combined.

Duvie needs no sympathy....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Westcott has earned and will still earn enough money to make his remaining life a pretty rich one. He will be fine. He knows the score, he's no child. He gets nearly 2 million bucks if bought out for doing nothing. That's more cash than every poster here can make in 1 or 2 years combined.

Duvie needs no sympathy....
Unless you were just trying to be a troll, I say this is the biggest bs I've heard in a long while.

If you play hockey for decades and then just when you're about to reach the level everyone dreams about, you get concussions what ends the dream. You would be happy just because you are getting money?

If a player gets serious concussions like Duvie has had, he sure should get sympathy from every fan out there. If someone doesn't feel the need for that, he clearly doesn't appreciate hockey players at all.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Unless you were just trying to be a troll, I say this is the biggest bs I've heard in a long while.

If you play hockey for decades and then just when you're about to reach the level everyone dreams about, you get concussions what ends the dream. You would be happy just because you are getting money?

If a player gets serious concussions like Duvie has had, he sure should get sympathy from every fan out there. If someone doesn't feel the need for that, he clearly doesn't appreciate hockey players at all.
Stop it...Lindros got little sympathy. Westcott was waived, I didn't waive him the CBJ did, save your troll emotion for another topic.

Old
01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Aside from a small group, I didn't feel Duvie was truly a fan favorite... I guess that can be said for any player...

Duvie did his job well for a few years, but he had outlived his usefulness to the club with the emergence of several other guys capable of playing a style of hockey this team needs more.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:33 PM
CBJSlash

Duvie has been my whipping boy for years. I'm sad his health is the main factor in his declined play, but that is the world of professional sports.

He was very good for an undrafted player.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Duvie has been my whipping boy for years. I'm sad his health is the main factor in his declined play, but that is the world of professional sports.

He was very good for an undrafted player.
Well said, but he will be expected to play in Syracuse if healthy.

There is still a chance he may continue his NHL career if he excels in the minors but I believe the CBJ will buy him out first. If his health is indeed the single and sole reason for being waived by Howson I'd say he should choose to retire.

Those are the hard cold facts, not fun or pretty but the NHL is a big business, a money business; and Duvie will do just fine when it's all said and done.

Old
01-19-2008, 06:49 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

And soon names like Shelley, Malhotra and Vyborny will meet a similar fate. Future progress depends on upgrading our talent. I appreciate all of them and have cheered for them, but I'd trade them all for a Stanley Cup.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
And soon names like Shelley, Malhotra and Vyborny will meet a similar fate. Future progress depends on upgrading our talent. I appreciate all of them and have cheered for them, but I'd trade them all for a Stanley Cup.
Thank you sir! Hard cold facts, Howson (at the request of Hitch most likely) is upgrading the talent on this team. As cold hearted as I seem to be at times I've rarely been critical of Hitchcocks moves. Hitch knows the damn game and he knows players. It's time to move on from the past.