HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre Macguire says Tanguay agrees to waive NTC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2008, 11:46 PM
  #26
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Who's our next Balej?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:46 PM
  #27
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,369
vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Who's our next Balej?
David Fischer?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:48 PM
  #28
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Who's our next Balej?
Grabovski..

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:51 PM
  #29
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If it's a hockey transaction, of course Ryder for Tanguay is not enough. But it really depends how much they need to free that 5 million that comes with Tanguay. And knowing that in a cap world, it's a lot of money, Flames might not be able to get a fair value for him. They won't give him for nothing, still they not have all they could on a hockey standpoint.

He's not filling the need to be bigger up front or to pivot a 3rd line, still he'd make your team better. Like him or not, the guy produces.
Dandy as a forward has been 10 times better than Ryder this year... I can't believe the Flames can't find any other UFA that could bring more to the table than Micheal Ryder.

I mean, Ryder, right now has a negative value... he's someone you want to get rid of.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:56 PM
  #30
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,383
vCash: 133
They also said Sergei Fedorov could on the market. But the Jackets are in the playoffs picture right now so who knows.

About Calgary im sure they would take on Ryder for the year, but might also look at some cheap players like O'byrne, Lapierre and Chipchura and that's probaly why no deal will be made.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:59 PM
  #31
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
With all the recent scouting by the Habs in Calgary, and all the talk about Ryder to Calgary, I came up with this proposal which would solve cap issues, and roster issues for both of those teams.

To Calgary:

Michael Ryder (UFA) & 1st Round pick (2008)

To Montreal:

Alex Tanguay (5.250M)

So, basically Montreal gets an experienced French Canadian LW that can be used as a blue chip for the second trade.

Calgary, on the other hand, gives their 2nd line LW now that Huselius is used on the first with Iginla. Therefore, they clear up 5.25M in cap space as Ryder is UFA and can be resigned for cheap, and are able to resign Phaneuf & co. Also, they get a 1st round pick in 2008, which can be used at the deadline to get a rental like Dumont to give them more depth, or to draft a good prospect.

Now about Tanguay's NTC, Montreal is probably one of the only teams that he would like to be traded to, therefore it is plausible. But, if he refuses you can tell him about the three-way deal, and tell him that he's going to play with the best two French Canadian forwards in the league in Florida. Again, it's plausible that he waives it from there.

To Tampa Bay:
Alex Tanguay (5.25M)+Mark Streit (600k)+Prospect(s)/picks

To Montreal:
Brad Richards (7.8M)

So, Montreal finally gets their superstar and number 1 centre, and they finally have a replacement for Koivu as he's getting old. Richards might not take over the role of number 1 centre right away, but he'll get it pretty soon as Koivu is UFA next year. Some would say that Koivu will never accept, but he'll keep it shut as he wants to win more than anything.

And Tampa, they get rid of Richards' contract, they get a very good LW to replace Prospal (UFA), and a really good PKer. Also, they get Mark Streit (UFA) whose one of the most versatile player in the league, and whom can be resign for 3 years/2M each (Confirm by Pat Brisson on CKAK) or less. Streit can replace Richards easily on the point on Tampa's PP, and he can be used either on defence or up front. He's on the pace for 50 pts while playing defence and on the fourth line. Finally, they get prospect(s) to fill in their pool.

Flame on.
WHen I look at the total package:

Ryder, 1st rounder, Streit and a prospect
FOR
Richards

....it kind of makes sense.

However, the problem with three-way deals is that both ends have to be good for both teams.

I think that Calgary might very well deal Tanguay for Ryder and a 1st. They need the cap space for next year but don't want to significantly downgrade this year, PLUS they get a 1st round pick - so we have a WINNER.... at least from Calgary's side.

HOWEVER.........

If Tampa Bay is looking to shed salary, why would they trade Richards at 7.8 to get Tanguay and Streit who will command 7.2 by next year?

Based on salaries, they might do Higgins or Plekanec, plus Streit, for Richards, but woudl Montreal? I doubt it.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:04 AM
  #32
BintZ
 
BintZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Dandy as a forward has been 10 times better than Ryder this year

I mean, Ryder, right now has a negative value... he's someone you want to get rid of.
In the past 15-20 games I'm pretty sure anyone could make an argument that Ryder has been our hardest working and hungryest player every shift. Ryder has really worked on his defensive game, he fore-checks hard and does his best to create opportunities when he has the puck.

Ryder and Smolinski have quietly done the little things that help the habs win games without getting any recognition.

Sutter will probably ask for Ryder + Mid Prospect + late pick for Tangay and he's not even close to worth it.

BintZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
  #33
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
WHen I look at the total package:

Ryder, 1st rounder, Streit and a prospect
FOR
Richards

....it kind of makes sense.

However, the problem with three-way deals is that both ends have to be good for both teams.

I think that Calgary might very well deal Tanguay for Ryder and a 1st. They need the cap space for next year but don't want to significantly downgrade this year, PLUS they get a 1st round pick - so we have a WINNER.... at least from Calgary's side.

HOWEVER.........

If Tampa Bay is looking to shed salary, why would they trade Richards at 7.8 to get Tanguay and Streit who will command 7.2 by next year?

Based on salaries, they might do Higgins or Plekanec, plus Streit, for Richards, but woudl Montreal? I doubt it.
Basically, because Tanguay is signed only for one more year at 5.25M, and Streit well it's better to have two players at 7.2 than one at 7.8M, anyhow Streit is not a major key in the deal. I included him in there to replace Richards on the point for Tampa, and since he's cheap and give them depth. Plus, a line of Tanguay-Lecavalier-St-louis would tear up the league, and it would allow Tampa to move Prospal as the 2nd line centre, and fill up their prospect pool. And, if they end up getting Stamkos, they can move either Tanguay or Prospal on the LW to play with him.


Last edited by Chomsky: 01-19-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:13 AM
  #34
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BintZ View Post
In the past 15-20 games I'm pretty sure anyone could make an argument that Ryder has been our hardest working and hungryest player every shift. Ryder has really worked on his defensive game, he fore-checks hard and does his best to create opportunities when he has the puck.

Ryder and Smolinski have quietly done the little things that help the habs win games without getting any recognition.

Sutter will probably ask for Ryder + Mid Prospect + late pick for Tangay and he's not even close to worth it.
Ryder is attrocious... you can write a 10 pages essay on how Ryder tries to work hard, that his defensive game is getting better.. the only one you would convince is you.

As for Tanguay, when was the last time a Hab had an 80 points season?

1999-2000 Avalanche 76 17 34 51
2000-2001 Avalanche 82 27 50 77
2001-2002 Avalanche 70 13 35 48
2002-2003 Avalanche 82 26 41 67
2003-2004 Avalanche 69 25 54 79
2005-2006 Avalanche 71 29 49 78
2006-2007 Flames 81 22 59 81
2007-2008 Flames 48 11 26 37

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
  #35
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Ryder is attrocious... you can write a 10 pages essay on how Ryder tries to work hard, that his defensive game is getting better.. the only one you would convince is you.

As for Tanguay, when was the last time a Hab had an 80 points season?

1999-2000 Avalanche 76 17 34 51
2000-2001 Avalanche 82 27 50 77
2001-2002 Avalanche 70 13 35 48
2002-2003 Avalanche 82 26 41 67
2003-2004 Avalanche 69 25 54 79
2005-2006 Avalanche 71 29 49 78
2006-2007 Flames 81 22 59 81
2007-2008 Flames 48 11 26 37


Lets see Mark Reechi , john Leclair.. Mike Riberio....oh you mean as Habs?


Ryder will be the next guy that will score 80 pts elsewhere you watch

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
  #36
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
As for Tanguay, when was the last time a Hab had an 80 points season?
fast forward to April 2008, Alexei Kovalev!

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:24 AM
  #37
Flames2007
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
I'd rather keep Tangs than trade him away to Montreal....i don't think you guys have the player that could go 1 for 1 for Tangs...but maybe thats where the draft picks or prostpects kick in...ya never know in this crazy NHL now...look who we traded to get him? (leopold)

Flames2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:25 AM
  #38
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,049
vCash: 500
I hope this wont hurt....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:25 AM
  #39
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Basically, because Tanguay is signed only for one more year at 5.25M, and Streit well it's better to have two players at 7.2 than one at 7.8M, anyhow Streit is not a major key in the deal. I included him in there to replace Richards on the point for Tampa, and since he's cheap and give them depth. Plus, a line of Tanguay-Lecavalier-St-louis would tear up the league, and it would allow Tampa to move Prospal as the 2nd line centre, and fill up their prospect pool. And, if they end up getting Stamkos, they can move either Tanguay or Prospal on the LW to play with him.

Actually, Tortotella did something tonight that finally made sense.

He split his top 4 guys over two lines, instead of leaving Richards with no wingers.

And they beat the Pens!

What took him so friggin' long?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:26 AM
  #40
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Lets see Mark Reechi , john Leclair.. Mike Riberio....oh you mean as Habs?


Ryder will be the next guy that will score 80 pts elsewhere you watch

ECHL, maybe.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:28 AM
  #41
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I hope this wont hurt....
Sutter is coming to Montreal tomorrow...so throw a nice big log on the trade fire......

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
  #42
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Let's not get all excited, it's sounded more like speculation than anything.
Honestly, would landing Tanguay be exciting? I guess I really am in the minority that wouldn't want to see him in Montreal.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:31 AM
  #43
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
ECHL, maybe.
right a guy already gets 65 pts in Nhl

hey your entitled to your own opinion... but i disagree.

Ryder production dropped when they asked him to tigten up on defense........ he got to much on his mind .

let the guy play his game

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:32 AM
  #44
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007 View Post
I'd rather keep Tangs than trade him away to Montreal....i don't think you guys have the player that could go 1 for 1 for Tangs...but maybe thats where the draft picks or prostpects kick in...ya never know in this crazy NHL now...look who we traded to get him? (leopold)
You don't think so.I guarantee you if Gainey offered Sutter Mike Komisarek for Alex Tanguay straight up Sutter would take that trade in a heartbeat.Unfortunately for you the Habs wouldn't do it.
Not to say that Tanguay isn't a good player but personally I wouldn't trade either of Higgins,Komisarek,Price,Plekanec,Markov or Andrei Kostitsyn for Tanguay straight up but thats just me.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:33 AM
  #45
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Honestly, would landing Tanguay be exciting? I guess I really am in the minority that wouldn't want to see him in Montreal.
yes keep all 80 pts player out of Montreal please

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:33 AM
  #46
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,049
vCash: 500
Ryder better play a few more great games so he looks like a decent option. But it's going to cost more if that's the case.
If I was Calgary I'd rather get a guy like Sundin if I believe I can make something happen this year. If not then Ryder and a young player could be interesting. If we can avoid moving any player from our current top 2 lines then that would be interesting.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:36 AM
  #47
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Honestly, would landing Tanguay be exciting? I guess I really am in the minority that wouldn't want to see him in Montreal.
Lets say it only costs ryder + something not on the current roster or that we wouldnt mind parting with. We'd end up with a pretty decent lineup.
Something like...
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostitsyn (I know...they'd put Smokes here...but bleh..)
And considering he's only on contract for 1 more year...It's not such a big deal salary wise.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:38 AM
  #48
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Ryder better play a few more great games so he looks like a decent option. But it's going to cost more if that's the case.
If I was Calgary I'd rather get a guy like Sundin if I believe I can make something happen this year. If not then Ryder and a young player could be interesting. If we can avoid moving any player from our current top 2 lines then that would be interesting.
They would need to give more than Tanguay for Sundin.

If its a straight salary dump Ryder and (something else) make sense . they only pay him little over 1 million for the rest of the year. If he finds his spark(and he will ) they resign him next year to a1.5- 2 million per deal and go from there. A steal for a 30 goal getter. And Tanguay is scoring 20 goals for 5.3 million elsewheres

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:40 AM
  #49
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I'd love to do Ryder+ for Tanguay, but only if Sergei Kostitsyn will be able to stay in the lineup. If Tanguay replaced him on the top line, Sergei would probably go back to Hamilton to fit Begin in the lineup.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:41 AM
  #50
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Honestly, would landing Tanguay be exciting? I guess I really am in the minority that wouldn't want to see him in Montreal.
Not really.. but if we can use him as a blue chip why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Lets say it only costs ryder + something not on the current roster or that we wouldnt mind parting with. We'd end up with a pretty decent lineup.
Something like...
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostitsyn (I know...they'd put Smokes here...but bleh..)
And considering he's only on contract for 1 more year...It's not such a big deal salary wise.
Can Tanguay even play on the RW? The NA lefties that play efficiently on the RW are pretty rare.. Can any flame fans confirm this?

Anyhow, the Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay line is just horrible. No finish at all. Waste of talent IMO.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.