HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to follow the Rivermen

Old
01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Time to follow the Rivermen

My suggestion - give the Blues a rest for a while and keep your focus on Peoria.

The Rivermen have won nine or ten straight - not sure which - and they look like the real deal.

The offense is hot, the d-men are solid and the goaltending is good.

There are vets but the kids are really producing. Some of these kids could be in St. Louis next season.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:05 PM
General Veers

I think most of us already follow the Rivermen. Y'know, the Cards season always has the "Dog Days of Summer", right now we're in the beginning of the Winter version. You should have just started a thread about the success of Peoria instead of letting everyone know you're bailing. I mean, what true pleasure could you get out of any success this Blues team has if you quit when things got their toughest?

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:28 PM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
I think most of us already follow the Rivermen. Y'know, the Cards season always has the "Dog Days of Summer", right now we're in the beginning of the Winter version. You should have just started a thread about the success of Peoria instead of letting everyone know you're bailing. I mean, what true pleasure could you get out of any success this Blues team has if you quit when things got their toughest?
Hehe, nice sig!

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
execwrite

Quote:

Too late - I've already bailed.

The Blues have maxed out this year. It's fine - the future is what it's all about.

Old
01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Too late - I've already bailed.

The Blues have maxed out this year. It's fine - the future is what it's all about.
Fair enough. I'm excited about the future too. Still, these guys are going to do their best to entertain us this year and I'm convinced they've got what it takes to grab that 8th spot.

Old
01-19-2008, 08:03 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Hehe, nice sig!
Thanks dude! Didn't you have a Stempy av?

Old
01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm excited about the future too. Still, these guys are going to do their best to entertain us this year and I'm convinced they've got what it takes to grab that 8th spot.
Even if they don't, keep in mind these facts: the Blues are one of the youngest teams in the NHL, they're in year TWO of a rebuild, this is their FIRST full year with the new coach, and finally, I can't emphasize this point enough, the core talent that will be competing for Cups is either not fully developed yet or not even on the roster yet.

Boyes, Stempniak, Backes, EJ, Perron, Oshie, Berglund, etc, all these guys are 25 and under and not anywhere near their potential. Not to mention, our goalie of the future hasn't been found yet.

Patience people, patience.

Old
01-19-2008, 08:17 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
Thanks dude! Didn't you have a Stempy av?
Yea I think when the boards went down all the avatars were removed as well. I guess I should put it back up.

Old
01-19-2008, 09:44 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Even if they don't, keep in mind these facts: the Blues are one of the youngest teams in the NHL, they're in year TWO of a rebuild, this is their FIRST full year with the new coach, and finally, I can't emphasize this point enough, the core talent that will be competing for Cups is either not fully developed yet or not even on the roster yet.

Boyes, Stempniak, Backes, EJ, Perron, Oshie, Berglund, etc, all these guys are 25 and under and not anywhere near their potential. Not to mention, our goalie of the future hasn't been found yet.

Patience people, patience.

You really think Boyes isn't maxed out? He's on pace for 40-some goals...you think he'll exceed that in the future?

I'm not doubting you, actually I'd be thrilled if he becomes a 50+ guy...

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Robb_K

Boyes will get 46 goals and 20 assists, and Kariya will get 24 goals and 45 assists, Tkachuk will get 23 goals and 38 assists, and MacDonald will get 20 goals and 39 assists. It's not like Boyes is a superstar. He's taking a high percentage of his line's and the power play's better shots. Don't get me wrong....I'm very happy with his play so far. But I don't believe he's worth more than $4 million at this point. He's a good, solid young player. But he's not going to score 50 goals, or 40 for a lot of years in a row, unless The Blues' lines are unbalanced, as they are now.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:07 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Boyes will get 46 goals and 20 assists, and Kariya will get 24 goals and 45 assists, Tkachuk will get 23 goals and 38 assists, and MacDonald will get 20 goals and 39 assists. It's not like Boyes is a superstar. He's taking a high percentage of his line's and the power play's better shots. Don't get me wrong....I'm very happy with his play so far. But I don't believe he's worth more than $4 million at this point. He's a good, solid young player. But he's not going to score 50 goals, or 40 for a lot of years in a row, unless The Blues' lines are unbalanced, as they are now.
I agree with ya.

The unbalanced nature of the Blues' offense has helped his numbers for sure, but still ya gotta be able to finish to get the goals. If they put me on the 1st line I promise I wouldn't have 26 goals.

PS:Ain't my avatar purdy?

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
I agree with ya.

The unbalanced nature of the Blues' offense has helped his numbers for sure, but still ya gotta be able to finish to get the goals. If they put me on the 1st line I promise I wouldn't have 26 goals.

PS:Ain't my avatar purdy?
I agree with you that he's a good finisher. But my reply was with regard to the question of whether or not he'll be a 50 goal scorer. I think Boyes will be a regular 30-35 goal scorer. And, I'd just as soon see him get 35 goals and 80 points on a balanced Blues' team with 3 solid scoring lines, and a checking line that is capable of producing some offence, as well.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 02:04 AM
False520

Well if we start tanking at least we will get a better draft pick.

False520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 09:40 AM
execwrite

I'm wondering if Basseggio, the Peoria coach, may be the long term guy for the Blues.

He's developing the kids and will know all of them as they pass through or work with them in camp for those who go straight to St. Louis.

I have my doubts about Murray long term. He can take a team up to a point but I'm not sure he can stay long term. He failed miserably with his power play in Los Angeles and the same thing is happening here.

I agree with all you guys - patience is the key and the future looks bright. I just think this team has reached its maximum potential. I would like to see more kids play in the second half and some trades at deadline just like last year.

But I don't think it will happen because the Blues will probably linger around making the playoffs.

Old
01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
I don't know that I want us to start tanking, but right now we're 4 points out with 2 games in hand. 2 wins in those games still puts us on the outside looking in because we lose the first tiebreaker [wins]. We also still have the road trip from hell looming in March.

Do I see us as a playoff team? No - after Boyes (26), we've got a pair of 12-goal scorers (Kariya and Tkachuk), a 10-goal scorer (Stempniak), a pair of 9-goal scorers (McDonald and Perron), and then Jamal Mayers (7), David Backes (6) and Jay McClement (5). We simply don't have enough finishers right now, and Boyes can't carry this team by himself. It would help if our blueline would start producing to help shift the burden (we've got 10 goals from the defense, and 2 of those 10 goals are in Peoria right now) but after possibly Johnson, who's going to step up and be a realistic threat to score?

Part of this is going to be the team evolving - no, McClement isn't going to be a 15-20 goal scorer [and he shouldn't be expected to be, that's not his role going forward] but this group has to learn and develop. We'll be more dangerous in '08-09, but this year isn't the year. We need to focus on maximizing value at the deadline over wheeling and dealing in some desperate attempt to make the playoffs.

01-20-2008, 10:27 AM
General Veers

What's wrong with teaching the kids how to win now? The vets on this team (Walt,Jacks,Jam,Brew) need to step up and show the guys taking over in the next few years (EJ,Backes,Perron,etc.) how to act like a pro and give it your all every shift. If we get solid performances from our vets on a more consistent basis (-Manny) it will not only teach the kids how to conduct themselves, it could also catapult us into the playoffs.

Old
01-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
I'm wondering if Baseggio, the Peoria coach, may be the long term guy for the Blues.

He's developing the kids and will know all of them as they pass through or work with them in camp for those who go straight to St. Louis.

I have my doubts about Murray long term. He can take a team up to a point but I'm not sure he can stay long term. He failed miserably with his power play in Los Angeles and the same thing is happening here.
Excellent observations, exec... I've been thinking the same things myself.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
fan in oregon

i not to familiar with the riverman who is leading the way to there success and are nhl prospects. GO BLUES.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 01:34 PM
execwrite

Quote:
What's wrong with teaching the kids how to win now? The vets on this team (Walt,Jacks,Jam,Brew) need to step up and show the guys taking over in the next few years (EJ,Backes,Perron,etc.) how to act like a pro and give it your all every shift. If we get solid performances from our vets on a more consistent basis (-Manny) it will not only teach the kids how to conduct themselves, it could also catapult us into the playoffs.
The guys you mentioned have never won anything. Not exactly the teachers you want.

Old
01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
General Veers

Quote:
The guys you mentioned have never won anything. Not exactly the teachers you want.
Winners or not, they're the teachers we've got.

Old
01-20-2008, 02:04 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Winners or not, they're the teachers we've got.
Time to get better teachers. Andy McDonald is a Stanley Cup winner.

Old
01-20-2008, 02:04 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
You really think Boyes isn't maxed out? He's on pace for 40-some goals...you think he'll exceed that in the future?

I'm not doubting you, actually I'd be thrilled if he becomes a 50+ guy...
It's not a matter of Boyes scoring more than 40 goals, just a matter of him being 25 and still trying to round out his game. He's a MUCH better playmaker than his 12 assists would suggest, and his assist totals previous to this year support that. Not to mention, he might add a physical element to his game, or hell become a 50 goal scorer. But you can tell that the guy hasn't maxed out in all facets of his game yet.

Old
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
Time to get better teachers.
Eggzakly.

Old
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
execwrite

Quote:
It's not a matter of Boyes scoring more than 40 goals, just a matter of him being 25 and still trying to round out his game. He's a MUCH better playmaker than his 12 assists would suggest, and his assist totals previous to this year support that. Not to mention, he might add a physical element to his game, or hell become a 50 goal scorer. But you can tell that the guy hasn't maxed out in all facets of his game yet.

I agree. Boyes is a keeper. Hope they can work out a long-term contract.