HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Trade Deadline Speculation/Rumor Thread....

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I don't believe his sources are journalists. I think they are people involved in the organizations on different levels who hear things and send it over to Eklund. His work is very similar to an "Enquirer" publisher. It's stretching truths. Bob Gainey very likely looked into Jokinen. It doesn't mean he is going to pull the trigger. It also doesn't mean Florida is going to deal him. Just about every GM in the league keeps the lines of communication open. You hear a lot of Montreal/San Jose rumours because Wilson and Gainey always keep their phones on for each other. They like to make deals together. Eklund just reports the cooler talk.
He says they are two types of sources. Those close to the organization (Agents, players, workers, GM, etc), and those unrelated to the organization, thus Journalists, etc. Do you honestly believe that both types of source send him rumours as often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
because we have yet to find wingers capable of 60/70/80 pts a season to play alongside Koivu... if we had this, NO ONE would be talking about Lats playing on one of the top lines
Good news my friend... Jokinen can also play as LW, thus on the same line as Koivu.

Old
01-30-2008, 06:19 PM
HCH

Florida probably wants players who can help them sooner rather than later so recent picks might not be as attractive.

I can't see Montreal splitting up the Kostitsyns or giving up Higgins. Nor can I see them including McDonagh or Valentenko in a trade. Kovalev should be safe and it's really difficult to accept that Gainey might tamper with the chemistry between Plekanec and his wingers.

That leaves Koivu (not likely), Ryder, Latendresse. Grabovksi, Chipchura and Lapierre as the forwards who might have some value in a trade. Fischer and O'Byrne might be the the most likely candidates on defense.

With Vokoun signed long term, I don't see Halak as part of the mix but who knows, he might be exactly what they are looking for.

Two other interesting players who would be longshots in this deal are Perezhogin and Emelin. These two guys would have a better chance of becoming NHL regulars with Florida than with Montreal.

The number of combinations are almost endless but if the Habs could do the trade without touching their core, it would be interesting.

Old
01-30-2008, 06:24 PM
znk

I never thought I'd say this....but right now if given the choice between keeping Higgins or Plekanec I would chose Plekanec.
Bash away.

Old
01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
Florida probably wants players who can help them sooner rather than later so recent picks might not be as attractive.

I can't see Montreal splitting up the Kostitsyns or giving up Higgins. Nor can I see them including McDonagh or Valentenko in a trade. Kovalev should be safe and it's really difficult to accept that Gainey might tamper with the chemistry between Plekanec and his wingers.

That leaves Koivu (not likely), Ryder, Latendresse. Grabovksi, Chipchura and Lapierre as the forwards who might have some value in a trade. Fischer and O'Byrne might be the the most likely candidates on defense.

With Vokoun signed long term, I don't see Halak as part of the mix but who knows, he might be exactly what they are looking for.

Two other interesting players who would be longshots in this deal are Perezhogin and Emelin. These two guys would have a better chance of becoming NHL regulars with Florida than with Montreal.

The number of combinations are almost endless but if the Habs could do the trade without touching their core, it would be interesting.
You got to consider supply and demand here... a lot of teams would offer more than that...

Actually the guy I'd give up base on talent alone would be Higgins, the problems is that it might piss Komi off and that we don't want... so we can just forget about him, except if they want a collection of prospects, in that case we'd certainly be in the race, but again, it just doesn't make any sense...

Old
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I never thought I'd say this....but right now if given the choice between keeping Higgins or Plekanec I would chose Plekanec.
Bash away.
It's called caring more for "now" than "later". Both men should be kept for their contributions now, and their contributions later. However, its a big risk, and its the type of risks that Mike Milbury always took.

Old
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bash away.
as we sit right now...Im a HUGE and I mean HUGE Higgins fan, and I would have to agree with you.

Old
01-30-2008, 06:27 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Bash away.
beated me by 2min

Old
01-30-2008, 06:29 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
It's called caring more for "now" than "later". Both men should be kept for their contributions now, and their contributions later. However, its a big risk, and its the type of risks that Mike Milbury always took.
You mean chosing Plekanec over Higgins is caring more about the now than the later?

Old
01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
You got to consider supply and demand here... a lot of teams would offer more than that...

Actually the guy I'd give up base on talent alone would be Higgins, the problems is that it might piss Komi off and that we don't want... so we can just forget about him, except if they want a collection of prospects, in that case we'd certainly be in the race, but again, it just doesn't make any sense...
Actually supply and demand would not be mine main concern. I would have to decide whether picking up Jokinen would improve my team or not. If I have to give up half the team just to add Ollie to the lineup, it's not worth it... regardless of how much other teams are willing to pay.

There was also a lot of talent on that list.... if you included Ryder, Latendresse, Chipchura, O'Byrne and Halak in the deal that is five players who have played in the NHL...

Old
01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
Olli Jokinen...wow, what a player, I like his contract 5.250 millions until 2009/2010, nice!

I think florida will ask ' Chris Higgins,Thomas Plekanec and Ryan Mcdonagh'

Forget David Fischer, during his draft year, many teams called fischer a 'no prospect' ( from gary joyce book).

He struggling to make any impact in the ncaa, his value is very limited.

Also, florida doesnt care about Ryder or Koivu, so stop putting these name in the potential trade

Would you guys trade a.k and s.k with mcdonagh for Jokinen?

Old
01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
You mean chosing Plekanec over Higgins is caring more about the now than the later?
im wondering the same thing.
Pleks is only 1 year older then Higgins.

Old
01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Beakermania*

1000 posts... time for a new one.

Closed Thread