HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How about Bondra?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Marksman

vCash: 500
How about Bondra?

What do you think, would it make sense for Habs to get him? Rumour has Senators offering Shastlivy and 5th pick for him, something not hard for Habs to match.

Perreault+Kilger? (they got suckered with big Zubrus already)
Dagenais + 4th?
Plekanec for Bondra + 3rd?

To me hes always seemed very similar player to Zednik, so he would propably go quite nicely along with either Saku or Ribs.

LW isnt our strongest position at forward - Bulis would be free to play 3rd line.

Scoring goals and special teams are still major problems when they play better teams. Bondra would help both.

Our two young slovaks, might learn a lot having chance to play with him.

He makes a lot of money... but Habs would be off the hook with him, Peter likely signing again with Caps next summer.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Tuggy

I have also thought about Bondra coming to Montreal and I think that it is an interesting idea. I just wonder what we would have to give up for him. I have always wanted a true sniper to play with Koivu and I also think that Bondra does still have some game left in him. But I'm also not sure whether BG is going to make any major moves.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:19 AM
leafaholix*

McPhee's not going to take on older players at their prices.

Perreault + Kilger = $3,600,000/year.

Perreault (33), Kilger (27)... Bondra's super old... but with the apparent deal he had with Montreal... it was Hnidy and a 1st round pick for Bondra. Or something along those lines.

Perreault makes too much money and Kilger was placed on waivers, no?

Old
01-25-2004, 11:20 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
What do you think, would it make sense for Habs to get him? Rumour has Senators offering Shastlivy and 5th pick for him, something not hard for Habs to match.

Perreault+Kilger? (they got suckered with big Zubrus already)
Dagenais + 4th?
Plekanec for Bondra + 3rd?

To me hes always seemed very similar player to Zednik, so he would propably go quite nicely along with either Saku or Ribs.

LW isnt our strongest position at forward - Bulis would be free to play 3rd line.

Scoring goals and special teams are still major problems when they play better teams. Bondra would help both.

Our two young slovaks, might learn a lot having chance to play with him.

He makes a lot of money... but Habs would be off the hook with him, Peter likely signing again with Caps next summer.
Why would we trade Plekanec for a Rent-A-Player? Shastlivy is a regualr scratch in Ottawa and is expendable, but Hnidy will be involved in that deal along with maybe a pick, so Plekanec wouldn't be enough and if we were to do such a trade I would want a player that isn't going to be a UFA or over 30. Plus I want a bigger forward who can hit and score or get that big centrman BG is looking for because we are too small at forward still.

Dagenais, Kilger and Perreault don't interest anyone in trades out there. One is a UFA, the others are borderline AHL-NHL material not to mention one dimensional.

And what would Zednik learn from playing with Bondra? They played together in Washington and Zednik did his improvement and growing as a player in Montreal.

We need the like of a O'Neill, Arnott, Smythe, Rucchin or a Doan. Only one of those maybe available and the price will be steep.

I'm think BG may have to call up Hossa for his size at least on the wing, Hossa with Koivu and Ryder would be better than Bulis there. Bulis shifted back to third line with Juneau and Sundstrum would be best.

Bondra is a band-aid, but he would not help because we need grit and size. Toronto saw what NJ did to us the night before and did the same. Take away the ice at centre for our speedy team and force them to dump and chase and hit the hell out the small players, it takes them out of the play and nothing ever gets set up, we need size to make room out on the ice for our creative types like Riberio.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:23 AM
leafaholix*

For anyone who lands him... knowing he wants to go back to Washington, the team that acquires him would be smart to tender a qualifying offer and when he signs with the Caps, you get back a 2nd round pick, possibly a 3rd.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
For anyone who lands him... knowing he wants to go back to Washington, the team that acquires him would be smart to tender a qualifying offer and when he signs with the Caps, you get back a 2nd round pick, possibly a 3rd.
Provided there isnt lockout, and he doenst decide to return europe, of course.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:51 AM
leafaholix*

Which would suck.

But if he decides to return after the apparent CBA strike, the team that acquires him before March 9 and tenders a qualifying offer will still have the right to get the compensation pick.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Why would we trade Plekanec for a Rent-A-Player? Shastlivy is a regualr scratch in Ottawa and is expendable, but Hnidy will be involved in that deal along with maybe a pick, so Plekanec wouldn't be enough and if we were to do such a trade I would want a player that isn't going to be a UFA or over 30. Plus I want a bigger forward who can hit and score or get that big centrman BG is looking for because we are too small at forward still.

Dagenais, Kilger and Perreault don't interest anyone in trades out there. One is a UFA, the others are borderline AHL-NHL material not to mention one dimensional.

And what would Zednik learn from playing with Bondra? They played together in Washington and Zednik did his improvement and growing as a player in Montreal.

We need the like of a O'Neill, Arnott, Smythe, Rucchin or a Doan. Only one of those maybe available and the price will be steep.

I'm think BG may have to call up Hossa for his size at least on the wing, Hossa with Koivu and Ryder would be better than Bulis there. Bulis shifted back to third line with Juneau and Sundstrum would be best.

Bondra is a band-aid, but he would not help because we need grit and size. Toronto saw what NJ did to us the night before and did the same. Take away the ice at centre for our speedy team and force them to dump and chase and hit the hell out the small players, it takes them out of the play and nothing ever gets set up, we need size to make room out on the ice for our creative types like Riberio.
You need to read more carefully - I was thinking Plekanec for Bondra and *3rd pick*, which is the key. Pleks was drafted 71th overall, we would recycle it, with better pick coming back in return. I like Tomas like anyone, but somehow I dont feel he can make it with his size here with all the other forward prospects being only slightly bigger.

Kilger and Dagenais are borderline NHLers, just like Hnidy and as it seems Shastlivy too. Perreault I put there, because he makes less than Peter, could fill in for Nylander and they wouldnt be cuffed being able to let him go UFA.

I was thinking of Bondra mentoring Hossa and Balej, both of whom have tools for similar game (skating/shot). It apparently worked for Zednik, so why not again?

Addition: What do you mean by that Zednik growing up in Montreal? IMO hes been very much the same player he was his last two seasons with Caps (playing with Bondra at times). There is marginal improvement in production because hes been able to play full seasons and has had his ice time rising since last season.

Guys you listed would cost Habs much more than renta-Bondra. And I seriously doubt Doan or Rucchin would be available. Yes we need to get bigger, but we have other needs aswell... but I dont think getting him would exclude other deals, for that checking center, maybe.

Addition: I hope Bob puts some sorts of offer in, atleast it will jack up the price for others.

Last edited by Marksman: 01-25-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old
01-25-2004, 12:36 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
You need to read more carefully - I was thinking Plekanec for Bondra and *3rd pick*, which is the key. Pleks was drafted 71th overall, we would recycle it, with better pick coming back in return. I like Tomas like anyone, but somehow I dont feel he can make it with his size here with all the other forward prospects being only slightly bigger.
There is no guarantee that you can draft a better player because you have a higher pick, Zednik and Ryder are better picks than some early 1st rounder in their draft years.

Zeds Draft year:
2nd overall Oleg Tverdovsky
4th overall Jason Bonsignore
7th overall Jamie Storr
8th overall Jason Wiemer
10th overall Nolan Baumgartner
12th overall Wade Belak
And it isn't much better after that.

The only good 1st rounders in 1994 are JoVo, O'Neill, Friesen, Bonk, Smythe, Ohlund and Cloutier. The rest are average or out of the NHL or never made it at all.

Look at these 10th round gems 249th Richard Zednik, 257th Tomas Holmstrom and the last player choosen in the draft in the 11th round 286th Kim Johnsson.

Ryders Draft year:
9th overall Michael Rupp
13th overall Michael Henrich
16th overall Eric Chouinard Montreal Canadiens - AWEFUL
20th overall Scott Parker
21th overall Mathieu Biron

A deeper draft with some Stars or future Starslike Lecavlier, Gagne, Tanguay, Gomez, Legwand, Stuart and more in the NHL but are average players Van Ryn, Regehr, Bell, Antropov, Kraft and Fischer.

Look at 208th overall Jaroslav Svoboda our 8th round pick , 216th Ryder. Both would be considered potential 1st to 2nd rounders now.

The draft is a crap shoot, trading a player like Plekanec who will play in the NHL for a 3rd rounder is not a guarantee you will get that same player in return or better.

How many teams have trade for or traded their 1st rounder and got screwed over by picking a dud? More times tha not.

I would not trade Plekanec for Bondra and a pick, sorry.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Marksman

I agree completely, its a crap shoot. Hindsight is always 20/20. But somehow I've got a lot more faith in Habs scouting with Savard, in finding those gems. If Go Pierre Hedins scenario - Bondra signing with Caps, giving us compensation pick - we would have two sets of dice.

There should be good chances we get a player who has same level of potential, with the current number of roughly similar forward prospects in Habs pipeline, we could afford to wait a little longer with one.

I think it would be good deal for Caps aswell. If they really plan to go into rebuilding mode, getting Plekanec would speed up their process. Might be welcome, they dont have that deep prospect pool afterall.

Old
01-25-2004, 02:14 PM
leafaholix*

You only get compensation if you offer him a contract of atleast $4,500,000.

And if he's 100% sure of going to another team for much less cash, then you'll get the compensation. But if he accepts your offer, you're stuck with him. It's risky, because I don't see any other team in the league offering him anything more the $3,000,000.

Personally, it's not worth the risk to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder if your in the position of having him accept the offer.

Old
01-25-2004, 02:17 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
I like Bondra, but I'd feel a little bit uneasy about acquiring a guy who refused to come to Montreal before in a deal (2001).

We do have great trading history with Washington, though. I'll always remember 'the day' Andre Savard made 'the trade'.

Old
01-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Marksman

Some things have changed since 2001. Habs have 20 more points in standings than Caps and are in position to make into playoffs. Canadiens might not be his first priority - but still he would be part of the winning team which can be fun than winning once in every 5 games. Anyways he would know he has choise to go back, he wouldnt neccesarily have to move his family there for only few months stay.

I guess the qualifying offer at that much would be out of question - then he might start to like playing for canadian team and help Balej/Hossa to Calder.

Closed Thread