HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get a Load of this Crap from Isles..

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Get a Load of this Crap from Isles..

TUCKER THEATRICS LEAVE ISLES ANGRY

When Darcy Tucker got clipped in the eye by the stick of New York Islanders winger Jason Blake on Tuesday night, Tucker's Maple Leafs teammates were justifiably incensed.

But over on the other side, there was also some anger and it was directed at Tucker.

The Islanders thought Tucker, who fell down, then got up and tried to fight Blake, should have earned a diving penalty.

"I saw him go down and I thought he should have gotten a penalty," Isles coach Steve Stirling said. "Referees miss calls all the time. That doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants."

Old
01-25-2004, 01:23 PM
leafaholix*

This bull**** doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:30 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
"I saw him go down and I thought he should have gotten a penalty," Isles coach Steve Stirling said. "Referees miss calls all the time. That doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants."
There trying to get a rise, its that obvious.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
There trying to get a rise, its that obvious.
But what would the purpose be of the RISE????

and its in todays paper , when the isles already know that Darcy has an eye injury and surgery...

How stupid are some of these coaches that are employed by NHL teams???

Old
01-25-2004, 01:40 PM
King of Kelvington

[QUOTE=The Messenger]But what would the purpose be of the RISE????
QUOTE]

Playoffs are coming up sooner than you think....

Old
01-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

[QUOTE=WCJr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
But what would the purpose be of the RISE????
QUOTE]

okay ...but isn't that bulitin board material that will go up in Leafs dressing room?? and how does that help Isles ???

Old
01-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Isle Be Back

[URL=http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/ny-tucker213635159jan21,0,2369759.story?coll=ny-islanders-headlines[/URL]

The original post doesn't indicate a source but I think the quote is misleading, if not simply wrong. This is the quote from the Newsday article from Jan 21st:

In a game in which there were several high-sticking infractions - not all of them were called - Islanders coach Steve Stirling was more annoyed that Tucker was allowed to carry on like that on the ice.

"I thought he should have gotten a penalty," Stirling said. "Referees miss calls all the time but that doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants."

There is nothing about a dive. The penalty Stirling was talking about was for what he did after he got up, not for taking a dive. Now you can argue that a penalty for "looking for Blake" is rediculous, and I might agree with you. But before everyone gets all riled up about a rediculous comment, make sure you get the rediculous comment right.

If it was portrayed differently in the Toronto media then perhaps they are the ones looking to get a rise. Or maybe it was a simple misunderstanding. Nowhere in the New York media did I see anything that suggested it was a dive. I clearly saw the stick get him in the face. It appeared that Blake was trying to lift his stick to keep him from playing the puck but I never saw a replay that showed it from ice level. All I saw was from the waist up.

I'm not especially fond of the guy but nobody wants to see an injury like that.

Old
01-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Be Back
[URL=http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/ny-tucker213635159jan21,0,2369759.story?coll=ny-islanders-headlines[/URL]

The original post doesn't indicate a source but I think the quote is misleading, if not simply wrong. This is the quote from the Newsday article from Jan 21st:

In a game in which there were several high-sticking infractions - not all of them were called - Islanders coach Steve Stirling was more annoyed that Tucker was allowed to carry on like that on the ice.

"I thought he should have gotten a penalty," Stirling said. "Referees miss calls all the time but that doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants."

There is nothing about a dive. The penalty Stirling was talking about was for what he did after he got up, not for taking a dive. Now you can argue that a penalty for "looking for Blake" is rediculous, and I might agree with you. But before everyone gets all riled up about a rediculous comment, make sure you get the rediculous comment right.

If it was portrayed differently in the Toronto media then perhaps they are the ones looking to get a rise. Or maybe it was a simple misunderstanding. Nowhere in the New York media did I see anything that suggested it was a dive. I clearly saw the stick get him in the face. It appeared that Blake was trying to lift his stick to keep him from playing the puck but I never saw a replay that showed it from ice level. All I saw was from the waist up.

I'm not especially fond of the guy but nobody wants to see an injury like that.
I'm hoping that you're right about the quote, I can't see any coach no matter how dumb who would call for a dive on that. lol It sounds like it makes more sense that he'd want a penalty for going after Blake, however if he had of gotten one it woulda been ridiculous ;-).

Old
01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
I'm hoping that you're right about the quote, I can't see any coach no matter how dumb who would call for a dive on that. lol It sounds like it makes more sense that he'd want a penalty for going after Blake, however if he had of gotten one it woulda been ridiculous ;-).
The Messenger didn't post the WHOLE article I believe. I was reading the paper this morning and remember diving being mentioned.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Acctually the Messanger did post the whole article, it's down right below Al Strachans column in the link below.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...25/324478.html

TUCKER THEATRICS LEAVE ISLES ANGRY

When Darcy Tucker got clipped in the eye by the stick of New York Islanders winger Jason Blake on Tuesday night, Tucker's Maple Leafs teammates were justifiably incensed.

But over on the other side, there was also some anger and it was directed at Tucker.

The Islanders thought Tucker, who fell down, then got up and tried to fight Blake, should have earned a diving penalty.

Stirling never said Diving the person writing the article said that,

However the idea of giving Tucker a penalty is stupid, The refs didn't see him do that!

Old
01-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
The Messenger didn't post the WHOLE article I believe. I was reading the paper this morning and remember diving being mentioned.
This was the article I read..

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...25/324478.html

That's all the article said... Perhaps I was suposed to READ BETWEEN THE LINES...

Old
01-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

The reporting has been bad all over today must be a day off for the Fact checkers ...

Look at this TSN article and look at the picture ...

It talks aboout leafs win yesterday and the playoff race .... yet look at the picture ...Owen Nolan is in the post game Huddle and Leafs are Wearing Blue jersey's and yesterdays game was in Montreal so Toronto ***** white ...

You would have thought in such a storied game against 2 great rivals that they could have at least taken a picture from the game...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...20&hubName=nhl

Old
01-25-2004, 10:13 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
If you think the Leafs will play the Isles in the playoffs you got another thing coming.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Augustus

In essence this thread ultimately is much ado about nothing.

Blake high-sticked Tucker in the eye therefore there was no possible dive.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
You guys think that was bad, you should hear the responses to a thread like this at fanhome on the Isles board, just sickening

Old
01-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Stephen

I hope the Leafs do play the Islanders in the playoffs, and that Jason Blake gets a little payback, i.e. a broken arm. I guess my hatred for that little **** says something about his effectiveness, but whatever.

Closed Thread