HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The signs are there...

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 02:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
The signs are there...

I believe the signs are there that should get Lil' Jimmy worried. And they have nothing to do with what is going on on the ice or in the standings.

1) If you pick up a NY paper, it has ads everyday for Ranger tickets. I can't remember there ever being this many ads for tickets. In addition, the rangers website is making unabashed attempts to sell tickets. With the Jagr addition, there were immediate mentions and links to buy tickets.

2) I was at the game against the Flyers and the crowd that was there should have Dolan worried. The crowd did not really cheer the Ranger goals and they did not really boo the team. Even the "Fire Sather" chants were lackluster. This is not good for Lil Jimmy. If the crowd is vocal (be it negative or positive) it at least demonstrates and interest, passion, caring. In difference (numbness?) is worse than booing.

It is clear that wins or losses does not make a difference. If Dolan is looking at this product as a form of entertainment (certainly not as a sports team), he should be concerned. To cheer or boo means that there is an interest. Silence = indifference. And that's more scary to Dolan than boos.

01-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Yah, well, wait until Lil Jimmy gets a load of the atmosphere and attendance at the Garden tonight. I'm expecting a less than warm welcome for Jarg.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Fletch

If the Garden's half-full..

I'd be surprised - especially with the possibility of snow, freezing rain, etc...some Jerseyans, Long Islanders, Westchesterans and people from CT will be going home early.

heck, as it's planned, if I'm lucky (or unlucky) I'll catch the last half of the last period.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:36 PM
shmekel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I'd be surprised - especially with the possibility of snow, freezing rain, etc...some Jerseyans, Long Islanders, Westchesterans and people from CT will be going home early.

heck, as it's planned, if I'm lucky (or unlucky) I'll catch the last half of the last period.
Even without the crummy weather, I'm hard pressed to even make the effort to get in to see games. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person who works on the island and doesn't feel the need to rush home (as if there's any 'rush' in rush hour anymore) to jump on the train to see this drek.

I have season tix and I haven't gone to the garden since November. Why should I at this point?

Old
01-26-2004, 04:06 PM
TXNYR

PHP Code:
I have season tix and I haven't gone to the garden since November. Why should I at this point? 
Why not? If you are holding out to make a point, why did you buy the tickets? If it is due to the Rangers, what did it to you in November?

I agree with your stance, I'm just curious. Season Tickets aren't cheap.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:17 PM
shmekel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNYR
PHP Code:
I have season tix and I haven't gone to the garden since November. Why should I at this point? 
Why not? If you are holding out to make a point, why did you buy the tickets? If it is due to the Rangers, what did it to you in November?

I agree with your stance, I'm just curious. Season Tickets aren't cheap.
To me, it's not worth the effort to road-rage my way home after work, freeze my butt off waiting for a train, just to watch them stink up the ice.
That said, I've given tickets to friends, my brother, etc., but I'm already exhausted and cranky at 6 when I get off work, why make my mood worse? I can get pissed off at home, and there, I can at least change the channel, and the beer is cheaper there.
I'd go and watch them lose if there was a light at the end of the (midtown- har har.) tunnel, but there's no direction, no nothing.
Dolan cares more about blocking the Nets' move to Brooklyn, than he does about the Rangers and their fans. I want to go to games, and I eagerly await better news about the team, but now . . . It just ain't worth it to me.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Yah, well, wait until Lil Jimmy gets a load of the atmosphere and attendance at the Garden tonight. I'm expecting a less than warm welcome for Jarg.

According to The Post (I think), he was the only one that received on ovation when he was announced at the Super Skate or whatever it was. All the other players were booed. As much as Jagr is an example of the type of excess that has ruined this team, he isn't directly to blame for the quagmire this team is in, hence, he shouldn't be booed...yet. However, the Garden will more than likely be unmerciful to the rest of the team.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
According to The Post (I think), he was the only one that received on ovation when he was announced at the Super Skate or whatever it was. All the other players were booed. As much as Jagr is an example of the type of excess that has ruined this team, he isn't directly to blame for the quagmire this team is in, hence, he shouldn't be booed...yet. However, the Garden will more than likely be unmerciful to the rest of the team.
Beyond that, most Rangers fans (and a lot of people in hockey) think it's a great move for the Rangers...

Old
01-26-2004, 04:56 PM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

It's not right to blame Jagr tonight, he is just a player not the guy who runs the team. I would expect that Slats will get the ol' Bronx cheer.
What it really comes down to is that if Slats can't get this team to perform as coach/GM then he has to go. Also there is no one that works under him that will change things.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Beyond that, most Rangers fans (and a lot of people in hockey) think it's a great move for the Rangers...

I think most people think the trade itself was one sided, but calling it a great move is a stretch.

Team still has a ton of holes, no defense and no future and for this all they've done is box themselves in for the post lockout NHL.

It's kinda like winning a new corvette in a contest, it's great until you gotta pay the taxes and your realize your insurance costs are through the roof.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Cosmo

You guys in NY, please do something.

Boo at the garden or "make" silence but please do something

Greetz from germany

Old
01-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think most people think the trade itself was one sided, but calling it a great move is a stretch.

Team still has a ton of holes, no defense and no future and for this all they've done is box themselves in for the post lockout NHL.

It's kinda like winning a new corvette in a contest, it's great until you gotta pay the taxes and your realize your insurance costs are through the roof.
The term "lot of people" includes a lot of people

I subscribe to a couple of hockey lists, read quite a number of comments and read several stories from commentators, pundits, fans and observers. There are actually a lot of people who think this move will help the Rangers..

They don't necessarily follow the team as closely as we do and are perhaps less up to speed with the day to day workings, so maybe form their opinion on a different subset of information.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Edge

I think you talk to most commentators, writers who follow the rangers and people around the league and they really don't think it helps the rangers.

In order for a move to help a team it must make the team stronger by filling an area of need. the trade did neither.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

While may it may not have addressed a glaring need...

Quote:
I think you talk to most commentators, writers who follow the rangers and people around the league and they really don't think it helps the rangers.

In order for a move to help a team it must make the team stronger by filling an area of need. the trade did neither.
it did upgrade a position, with the hope that Jagr will have some actual chemistry with Nedved. Plus, it may help the floundering PP. To me, it's more of the mindset of both Sather and the organization as a whole. It's like someone else posted - the "Wag The Dog" syndrome, try to create a diversion so not everyone sees what the real problems are. If, on the same day, Sather was not only able to improve the defense and goaltending, but, actually put players into proper roles, demand accountability, and get the players the follow a proper system and eliminate the mindless, selfish and undisciplined penalties, then, yes, the Jagr move would be hailed as a genius move. Unfortunately, its just another day on the treadmill for this franchise.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
it did upgrade a position
Any Sather trade can be analyzed in a vacuum and be deemed a success. Indeed, Jagr is a superior player to Carter. Just as Carter is a superior player to Dvorak though, one cannot say that this means an immediate upgrade in terms of on-ice production, motiviation or chemistry.

On the topic of "booing" Jagr, I could care less about whether it's fair or not. What other venue does a fan to express his or her feelings about this trade and actually have the organization hear it? To boo Jagr the transaction is not to boo Jagr the player.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Edge

throwing a fifth tire on a car doesnt make it go faster.......

The trade works if we are the Wings, the leafs or even the avs.

The trade does not work for a team that is under .500 and has shown zero consistency or defense.

The trade is an upgrade if this team was on the brink, but they aren't. It's another bandaid on a cracked spine.

By the time this team even came close to having it's spit together, Jagr is gonna be 34 or 35 years old.

He's already 32, hasn't shown his "A" game for a while now and has proven to be increasingly fragile.

Improving the team means having the best TEAM, not necessarily the best players.

Old
01-26-2004, 09:16 PM
kazo

Quote:
throwing a fifth tire on a car doesnt make it go faster.......

The trade works if we are the Wings, the leafs or even the avs.

The trade does not work for a team that is under .500 and has shown zero consistency or defense.

The trade is an upgrade if this team was on the brink, but they aren't. It's another bandaid on a cracked spine.

By the time this team even came close to having it's spit together, Jagr is gonna be 34 or 35 years old.

He's already 32, hasn't shown his "A" game for a while now and has proven to be increasingly fragile.

Improving the team means having the best TEAM, not necessarily the best players.
The trade also doesn't work if the team already plays with little or no passion and only plays at maybe 75% and only then when it wants to. The addition of Jagr won't cure those ills. Plus, when you hear negative comments from most players and commentators around the league you know that the last thing the Rangers need is another "super star".

This team should be dumping superstars, not adding them.

Old
01-26-2004, 10:56 PM
TKLOOCH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
The trade also doesn't work if the team already plays with little or no passion and only plays at maybe 75% and only then when it wants to. The addition of Jagr won't cure those ills. Plus, when you hear negative comments from most players and commentators around the league you know that the last thing the Rangers need is another "super star".

This team should be dumping superstars, not adding them.
True, when was the last time the Rangers picked up a heart and soul, gritty type of player thru a trade rather than the wire?

We seriously need a couple of dirty lil' ******** to pump some life into this team.

Darcy Hordichuk? Jarkko Ruutu? Ron Petrovicky? (oops!) Darcy Tucker? Sean Avery? Scott Nichol? Steve Ott?

How about a guy that will hustle and bust his rear?

Eric Cole? Rich Park? Manny Malhotra? (oops! jk) Matt Cooke? Brian Gionta? Dan Hinote? Mike York? (oops) Ryan Smyth? Just would like to throw a favorite in here: Antoine Vermette?

We need a facelift soon and some new energetic blood.

Old
01-26-2004, 11:19 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22
True, when was the last time the Rangers picked up a heart and soul, gritty type of player thru a trade rather than the wire?

We seriously need a couple of dirty lil' ******** to pump some life into this team.

Darcy Hordichuk? Jarkko Ruutu? Ron Petrovicky? (oops!) Darcy Tucker? Sean Avery? Scott Nichol? Steve Ott?

Eric Cole? Rich Park? Manny Malhotra? (oops! jk) Matt Cooke? Brian Gionta? Dan Hinote? Mike York? (oops) Ryan Smyth? Just would like to throw a favorite in here: Antoine Vermette?

We need a facelift soon and some new energetic blood.
Sorry to burst ur bubble but all those guys are all younger than 29 years old. they would not fit into the rangers gameplan. Maybe rangers will try to get some more vets like Scott Thornton and Jason Arnott and we will miss the playoffs again

Old
01-27-2004, 12:08 AM
RushingRocket

Send a message via AIM to RushingRocket Send a message via Yahoo to RushingRocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22

Eric Cole? Rich Park? Manny Malhotra? (oops! jk) Matt Cooke? Brian Gionta? Dan Hinote? Mike York? (oops) Ryan Smyth?
I would LOVE Cole on this team...

Closed Thread