HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Time for a Trade!

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Firthbird

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Time for a Trade!

How long is BG going to wait before we make a trade? With the Standings the way they are, and if we lose another 1 or 2 games in a row... we're out of the playoffs, and move into 9th place. The Rangers, Islanders, and Atlanta all have a serious shot at making the playoffs. We cannot afford to go on a losing skid right now. I think it is time to make a trade before its too late. We need a big Power Forward that plays center. Right now I see that as our main weakness on the team. I also think a little more toughness added to the roster would help us out, as we cannot size up to bigger teams in the Eastern Conference.

If we can address those 2 spots on the team, and if Theodore can keep playing the way he is, I see no reason why we cannot go deep into the playoffs.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:35 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Begin is back in two weeks. That'll have one hell of an impact.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:38 PM
RE-HABS

The Rags, Isles, Thrashers, Devils and Bruins could easily go into a slump or funk like any other team out there. Your panicing.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Shazbot

let me interrupt the reasonable goings on here on the HFboards for a little fantasy scenario of mine

Bob Gainey trades something like Hainsey (good D prospect), Juneau (old dependable LW/C), and Kilger (size at LW/C, untapped potential) for Jason Arnott (size and sandpaper at C) and the new forward lines look something like this come playoff time

Bulis, Koivu, Ryder
Zednik, Ribeiro, Dagenais
Sundstrom, Arnott, Ward
Langdon, Bégin, Dackell

that looks like playoff team to me, the only question marks being Bulis and Dagenais on the top two lines

i think Arnott, if it's possible to get him, would drastically change the make-up of this team for the better. anyone disagree?

Old
01-25-2004, 12:46 PM
habitants9_4

Gainey trades when the team is winning, when they aren't desperate.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Necrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird
How long is BG going to wait before we make a trade? With the Standings the way they are, and if we lose another 1 or 2 games in a row... we're out of the playoffs, and move into 9th place. The Rangers, Islanders, and Atlanta all have a serious shot at making the playoffs. We cannot afford to go on a losing skid right now. I think it is time to make a trade before its too late. We need a big Power Forward that plays center. Right now I see that as our main weakness on the team. I also think a little more toughness added to the roster would help us out, as we cannot size up to bigger teams in the Eastern Conference.

If we can address those 2 spots on the team, and if Theodore can keep playing the way he is, I see no reason why we cannot go deep into the playoffs.
Hello Gordie Dwyer (see location)! :p

First of all, I am confident we can make the playoffs with our current roster. Saku Koivu was not playing at his usual level the past 2 games. Bégin is sorely missed right now. Dagenais is playing like crap. If Koivu steps up his play, which he WILL do, and if Bégin returns from injury, we will be just fine. Add to that Theodore's great play, as well as the fact that we may see either Dagenais or maybe Balej step up and give our 2nd line its offensive punch.

That said, I think BG better knows the team now, and can better see what we need to add to the roster. I will not ask for a trade, but instead trust that BG and CJ can and WILL take us into the playoffs.

Remember, we played NJ at their best, and a hot Toronto team (2nd game in 2 nights for us). Yes, it pissed me off too, losing to the Devils and especially the Leafs, but it's not the time to panic. If anything, we know now that we should more realistically challenge for a mid-range playoff spot rather than the top seed in the East.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:12 PM
goalchenyuk

i would like a trade to get Ian Laperrierre for the 3 th line .Next year , when some of our good prospect are going to be ready , Big Bob is going to have more cards in hand to trade Koivu for a good big center for the first line.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:15 PM
skidboot

Big Powerforward who can play C?

Should be no problem acquiring one of those!!!

Old
01-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Those definitely are the team's needs. But of course those kinds of players tend to be expensive. There are second (and third) tier power forwards who might come at the right price, but they each have flaws. Nevertheless, it's where I would look, at least for this season. In particular:

Isbister, if he came cheaply, could be a good gamble. He has the size of a Kilger, but he uses it more effectively and even fights, sometimes. He also has the upside of a 20-25 goal scorer. But he is inconsistent like Kilger.

Gratton could be had for pretty cheap, probably, but at 28, it's a little late to talk about upside and potential. In fact, he's headed for his worst statistical season as a pro, and has failed to meet expectations everywhere he has gone. But he's definitely big, can play center, and has a mean streak. And he has a one year contract.

All things considered, Gratton would be the best fit, at least for this year.

Old
01-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Marksman

Trades sure helped Rangers cause last night. (random thought)

Old
01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i would like a trade to get Ian Laperrierre for the 3 th line .Next year , when some of our good prospect are going to be ready , Big Bob is going to have more cards in hand to trade Koivu for a good big center for the first line.
Watch up Mark0v !! There's gonna be 100 posters against you. Anyone who write “time to trade Koivu for a good big center for the first line” will have an hard time on this board. Are you racist? You don't like Koivu because he doesn't speak french? or because you speak french?

Old
01-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
First time since NOVEMBER we lost 2 game in regulation in a row. And this against New Jersey and Toronto.

I dont see how we are closer to be in 9th spot than we were 1 week ago... Adding to that we still get 2 points against Philly.

1 month ago, 3 points in a week against Philly-New Jersey-Toronto would have been consider the best accomplishment since the beginning of the year.
We gets 2 points after being the 2nd best team in the league in the last month and we're going to fall quickly? Nah.

Trade will come faster enough anyways as the Trade Deadline is coming quickly, no need to ask for it.

Old
01-25-2004, 08:18 PM
#44_delivers

dont need to freek out 2 losses its not realy time for a trade,
wow we've lost 2 in a row before, it was a tough week,
you know it happens, people shouldnt really talk about trading koivu becuase hes one of the huge reasons our pp unit is doing well, plus he's been my faivoret player for a while:].
but we do need a crash the net type player in the second line, our top 6 wing depth is what scares me not the centres.

Old
01-25-2004, 08:22 PM
BLONG7

BG will continue to scope this situation out and wait closer to the deadline... I think That being said, the last two years, AS made trades on the weekend of the Superbowl(Savage for Berezin... and Hackett for Sundstrom) and this weekend coming up is Superbowl Weekend... stay tuned...

Old
01-25-2004, 08:51 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
kinda funny, when we were winning and i proposed that idea, alot of people were against adding a big centreman saying that begin was the answer. now after playing NJ and TO it has become clear that we are a small team. a guy like laperriere would be a good fit on the team, not only because of his size, but he can score and shut down the other teams big guns. Plus being a french canadien the media and community would gladly welcome him. i think that should be the only move gainey would have to make, but if he could swing another one, then by all means go ahead.

Old
01-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Watch up Mark0v !! There's gonna be 100 posters against you. Anyone who write “time to trade Koivu for a good big center for the first line” will have an hard time on this board. Are you racist? You don't like Koivu because he doesn't speak french? or because you speak french?

Wow, sounds like what would happen if someone said something bad against golden boy Ribeiro, except you would have a 1000 posters claiming you are brainwashed, racist, followed by Koivu bashing with proof positive "facts" from the gentleman at RDS and 110% or whatever its called.

Your friggin bias is so apparent to everyone. The trading Koivu for a big number one centre has been talked about countless times, and discredited by basically everyone because there is no way it will happen for the 100 reasons that people have explained to you, and people like you.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:04 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Wow, sounds like what would happen if someone said something bad against golden boy Ribeiro, except you would have a 1000 posters claiming you are brainwashed, racist, followed by Koivu bashing with proof positive "facts" from the gentleman at RDS and 110% or whatever its called.

Your friggin bias is so apparent to everyone. The trading Koivu for a big number one centre has been talked about countless times, and discredited by basically everyone because there is no way it will happen for the 100 reasons that people have explained to you, and people like you.
relax every one has an opinion,
cheesh i really dont understand why people in here are making a koivu vs. ribeiro dual, i seriously dont understand it?

Old
01-25-2004, 09:07 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
kinda funny, when we were winning and i proposed that idea, alot of people were against adding a big centreman saying that begin was the answer. now after playing NJ and TO it has become clear that we are a small team. a guy like laperriere would be a good fit on the team, not only because of his size, but he can score and shut down the other teams big guns. Plus being a french canadien the media and community would gladly welcome him. i think that should be the only move gainey would have to make, but if he could swing another one, then by all means go ahead.
i agree , even Begin was playing great before his injurie ;i think that the team started to play well when he was playing at the spot of Juneau .He brings so much energy that all the team follow him...But my apprehension with him, is his size.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:14 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
i agree , even Begin was playing great before his injurie ;i think that the team started to play well when he was playing at the spot of Juneau .He brings so much energy that all the team follow him...But my apprehension with him, is his size.
we were winning without begin in the line up, he's not the game breaker some people for somereason think he is, but he most certainly is a little spark-plug i love his game,
but this team need a big talented phisical player, one of the hardest things to find in the league, good luck to BG to get one that will satisfy our pagan needs :],

i wonder if edmonton will move ryan smyth there waz talk here that he might,
thats one guy i would lllllllllooooooovvvvvveeeee to have with the habs.

i see alote of oilers games here i feel bad how his seasons went becuase he is an amazing player.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:23 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

relax please Nash13, first Habitude was joking ( not tastefully , i recognise ), second , i didn't proposed to trade Koivu right away , i just said that with a Laperriere and other skill new players a la Perezhogin/ Balej , Gainey is going to have more cards in his hand to deal Koivu for a big center, NEXT YEAR.

I don't know why people are so obsess by the idea that Koivu is not irreplaceable,The little player has a lot of heart but geez , with his average 15 goals / season , that's nothing to bring us far in the playoffs ...

your # 1 center has only 2 goals in his last 15 games and it was again Buffalo and pittsburg ...big deal ,really !

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 01-25-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old
01-25-2004, 09:30 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
we were winning without begin in the line up, he's not the game breaker some people for somereason think he is, but he most certainly is a little spark-plug i love his game,
but this team need a big talented phisical player, one of the hardest things to find in the league, good luck to BG to get one that will satisfy our pagan needs :],

i wonder if edmonton will move ryan smyth there waz talk here that he might,
thats one guy i would lllllllllooooooovvvvvveeeee to have with the habs.

i see alote of oilers games here i feel bad how his seasons went becuase he is an amazing player.
i agree , he would be great in the habs jersey

Old
01-25-2004, 10:19 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
a guy like laperriere would be a good fit on the team, not only because of his size, but he can score and shut down the other teams big guns.
He's averaged about 8 goals for every 80 games played and he is 30 years old. Since hockey players typically peak at around 30 years of age, we would be getting an 8 goal scorer who is on the downside of his career.

Laperriere might be in interesting addition but only if we could swap him for Perreault even up.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Traitor8

Laperriere might sign with us in the summer when he is UFA.
I wouldn't give anything too valuable for him right now because of his status. I wouldn't even give Perreault at this point as I feel he has more value on the trade market. Teams would be looking at Perreault for his faceoff abilities then for Laparriere.

On the note, I also would like to say that I would love to Have Bam Bam Barnaby with us

Old
01-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
relax please Nash13, first Habitude was joking ( not tastefully , i recognise ), second , i didn't proposed to trade Koivu right away , i just said that with a Laperriere and other skill new players a la Perezhogin/ Balej , Gainey is going to have more cards in his hand to deal Koivu for a big center, NEXT YEAR.

I don't know why people are so obsess by the idea that Koivu is not irreplaceable,The little player has a lot of heart but geez , with his average 15 goals / season , that's nothing to bring us far in the playoffs ...

your # 1 center has only 2 goals in his last 15 games and it was again Buffalo and pittsburg ...big deal ,really !
I am actually pretty calm right now.

With Habitude its not really a joke. This has been his constant bashing of Koivu far basically as long as he has been here, and the idea of Koivu being traded for the big number one centre isn't the problem, the problem is that an opposing GM would never go for it.

Nobody doesn't think Koivu is irreplaceable, simply, you will not get market value for him, and I think most recognize that no team, except if Montreal overpays extremely, will get the big number one centre.

Funny why didn't you mention Koivu's 13 points in the last 16 games. Or when someone says Ribeiro racks up points versus bad teams you complain except now, you are using that as a slight against Koivu. Very hypocritical.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:11 AM
HABitude

Quote:
With Habitude its not really a joke. This has been his constant bashing of Koivu far basically as long as he has been here, and the idea of Koivu being traded for the big number one centre isn't the problem, the problem is that an opposing GM would never go for it.
Sorry but that was a joke and as mark0v said, not my best tasteful joke. I've read what mark0v said and I said o-oh in my head. Then I wrote the post.

I always admitted that Koivu was a good player, if you've read me last 2 weeks, I wrote against Koivu-basher posters that Koivu played very well recently (that was after he came back from his concussion). Koivu is a good player, I like his heart, his grit, his working ethic, his puck handling around the net and his passes. I've watch Habs games for so long and analysed it on so many angles and my conclusion is that Koivu is not the piece of puzzle for the first line. And he is the player that have to offer in exchange to get the big center we need. My main negative concern about his play is that he is too slow for a small player, this is due to his 3 knee surgeries, which has slowed him to average in the league. A small player like him needs to be faster than average to dominate. And his shot is accurate but not hard in my point of view. So this makes him far from a player à la Sakic or Kariya.

Just try to analyse cold head like I do.

Cool man.

Closed Thread