HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Selanne trade idea/proposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Axis

vCash: 500
Selanne trade idea/proposal

This is no more than wishful thinking but in Hockey World in the Journal today Matheson said Selanne's unhappy in Colorado - I propose Salo and Izzy or D-Vo for Teemu. The salaries would be even and the Avs. would get their backup for Aebisher. We'd get a sniper - who can really skate and who would like our offesive/wide open style.

Back to reality, I can see Smyth being dealt now. They're killing him playing him with Oates. He's our best winger yet he's still not playing with York and D-vo or Izzy on the top line.... weird?

Old
01-25-2004, 11:38 PM
H-Bear

At no point in time would I ever support a trade of Dvo for Selanne.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
At no point in time would I ever support a trade of Dvo for Selanne.
Ditto...Izzy on the other hand...

Old
01-26-2004, 02:45 AM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Why would Selanne be unhappy in Colorado???

He's averaging 17 minutes playing with his best buddy on the #1 team in the NHL making close to $6 million..

Old
01-26-2004, 03:25 AM
Allan

Actually, his ice time has fallen over the last while, and he never plays with Kariya - he plays with Konawalchuck and Hinote, I believe. I get the impression that Granato doesn't like him, so he's on the third line. I can see how he would be unhappy with that.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:34 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

At this stage, I wouldn't advocate a Dvorak or York straight up for anyone in the NHL. Call me crazy, but those two guys are amazing hockey players, and their chemistry is amazing...trading one of them away would be suicide.

Old
01-26-2004, 04:54 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I could name quite a few guys I'd deal York or Dvo or both for, however, Selanne CERTAINLY isn't one of them. Also, in that orig. deal who the hell plays net for us then? Are you saying we should go into the stretch drive with Conks and Valiquette as our goalies? I would be pretty scared by that - Tommy has had one so-so game and one game where he was sick and gave up four goals - three of which weren't his fault.

Old
01-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I could name quite a few guys I'd deal York or Dvo or both for, however, Selanne CERTAINLY isn't one of them. Also, in that orig. deal who the hell plays net for us then? Are you saying we should go into the stretch drive with Conks and Valiquette as our goalies? I would be pretty scared by that - Tommy has had one so-so game and one game where he was sick and gave up four goals - three of which weren't his fault.
So, you're saying you liked how Salo played in last year's playoffs or the second half of the 2001-2002 season. He's let us down enough since the Belarus game for the Oilers to give Conklin a shot. At 3.9 million we could use that money elsewhere. Mind you, the 1.5 million on Adam Oates has been really well spent.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:33 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis
So, you're saying you liked how Salo played in last year's playoffs or the second half of the 2001-2002 season. He's let us down enough since the Belarus game for the Oilers to give Conklin a shot. At 3.9 million we could use that money elsewhere. Mind you, the 1.5 million on Adam Oates has been really well spent.
Well seeing as his contract is over half paid for, the Oilers wouldn't be saving 3.9 mil.

Old
01-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Oh I see, so you're suggesting that we put Conklin in net and name him #1 goalie based on.... how he could handle the 8 games in a row, then couldn't for the ninth? Or are you suggesting we put Selanne in net? Teemu is NOT worth Dvo, York or heck, even Salo. I'm not saying that Salo is worth all that much, but he's the only #1 goalie starter that we have. I have no faith that Conks or Valiquette can do it.

Old
01-27-2004, 03:57 AM
LawnDemon

no, no and no.

Old
01-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Oh I see, so you're suggesting that we put Conklin in net and name him #1 goalie based on.... how he could handle the 8 games in a row, then couldn't for the ninth? Or are you suggesting we put Selanne in net? Teemu is NOT worth Dvo, York or heck, even Salo. I'm not saying that Salo is worth all that much, but he's the only #1 goalie starter that we have. I have no faith that Conks or Valiquette can do it.

Salo's been awful this season, he's our highest paid player. Yet, when his name is mentioned in a trade people are against it. Why? He's the highest paid player, yet far from being the best player on the Oilers. Conklin's only 27 and gave us great goaltending in November and then ran out of gas. He's young but in order to get better you have to give him more than one shot.

Selanne's a sniper who can skate - he makes 5.8 million. Trading Salo's 3.9 mil + Izzy's 1.9 mil or D-Vo's 2 mil would make it affordable for the Oil. It would be nice to have a superstar like Selanne on this team. Our scoring would improve as would the powerplay. I mean he's on the 3rd line in Colorado.

Old
01-27-2004, 08:42 PM
stauffer is my hero

i would imagine that lowe's getting a bunch of trade offers for a $4 million a year goalie who lost his game 2 years ago and hasn't been able to find it salo's been so bad that we can't trade him unless lowe finds a gm dumber than mike milbury. salo's going nowhere except back to sweden after this season.

as for selanne, when we're clearly building for the future why would we want an over the hill, unrestricted free agent to be who would never in a million years sign here next year? he's way out of our league salary wise and why mortgage the future for 30 games? getting selanne would be the difference between finishing 12th and maybe sliding into 10th.

face it oiler fans, out gutless team isn't going anywhere because they aren't talented enough to make the playoffs without having more heart than the teams they are playing every night and i can't remember the last time they showed more heart than their opponent. outside of torres, york and moreau they just don't work hard enough to be successful.

Old
01-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Salo's been awful this season, he's our highest paid player. Yet, when his name is mentioned in a trade people are against it. Why? He's the highest paid player, yet far from being the best player on the Oilers. Conklin's only 27 and gave us great goaltending in November and then ran out of gas. He's young but in order to get better you have to give him more than one shot.

Selanne's a sniper who can skate - he makes 5.8 million. Trading Salo's 3.9 mil + Izzy's 1.9 mil or D-Vo's 2 mil would make it affordable for the Oil. It would be nice to have a superstar like Selanne on this team. Our scoring would improve as would the powerplay. I mean he's on the 3rd line in Colorado.
Manage assets. Selanne's is a UFA. So you're trading one #1 goalie, leaving a 27 yo rookie (Conklin) who had no gas left after a mere 8 games (I don't remember exactly), a 27-28 yo top two line winger (Isbister/Dvorak) whose rights we own for another 3-4 years.... for two months of work by Selanne. Uh huh. Selanne would have to score A LOT of goals to losing 3-4 years of rights to Dvo or Izzy and to counter for Conklin in net. All for two months. NOT a good idea. Think again. Much harder.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Manage assets. Selanne's is a UFA. So you're trading one #1 goalie, leaving a 27 yo rookie (Conklin) who had no gas left after a mere 8 games (I don't remember exactly), a 27-28 yo top two line winger (Isbister/Dvorak) whose rights we own for another 3-4 years.... for two months of work by Selanne. Uh huh. Selanne would have to score A LOT of goals to losing 3-4 years of rights to Dvo or Izzy and to counter for Conklin in net. All for two months. NOT a good idea. Think again. Much harder.

Well for some reason Patrick Lalime is now a No.1 goalie in Ottawa even though Pittsburgh didn't think he was good enough. Even though people think Salo's a no.1 - his play in the past 2 seasons has not been very strong evidence.

Getting a sniper like Selanne to play with Adam Oates would very likely help some of the scoring problems the Oilers have.

If getting someone like Selanne gets us into the post season then a trade for an UFA would be worth it.

Old
01-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Digger12

Quote:
If getting someone like Selanne gets us into the post season then a trade for an UFA would be worth it.
No offense, but Jesus Almighty centering Smyth and Hemsky wouldn't get us into the postseason at this point.

If Selanne is 'unhappy' being second fiddle on the most talented team the NHL has seen in years, why would he suddenly be motivated to find his mojo with Pluggers 'R Us?? Besides, both Oates and Selanne would be out of here next year anyway so what's the point of delaying the inevitable rebuild for that?

Old
01-28-2004, 07:06 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Selanne won't play for the Oilers. I think he has too much of that "I'm too good for a small town franchise" attitude. This is a guy who collects expensive sports cars and goes racing during his free time.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
No offense, but Jesus Almighty centering Smyth and Hemsky wouldn't get us into the postseason at this point.

If Selanne is 'unhappy' being second fiddle on the most talented team the NHL has seen in years, why would he suddenly be motivated to find his mojo with Pluggers 'R Us?? Besides, both Oates and Selanne would be out of here next year anyway so what's the point of delaying the inevitable rebuild for that?
You are absolutely the best quote on this board Digger:

"No offense, but Jesus Almighty centering Smyth and Hemsky wouldn't get us into the postseason at this point."

Old
01-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Selanne won't play for the Oilers. I think he has too much of that "I'm too good for a small town franchise" attitude. This is a guy who collects expensive sports cars and goes racing during his free time.

Fair enough, I've just always liked Selanne.

Old
01-29-2004, 07:41 PM
kyle

Quote:
Well for some reason Patrick Lalime is now a No.1 goalie in Ottawa even though Pittsburgh didn't think he was good enough. Even though people think Salo's a no.1 - his play in the past 2 seasons has not been very strong evidence.
Patrick Lalime also set a record for the most games to open a career without a loss (like 17) so it's not like he was just some rookie Ottawa picked up. His problem was that he was coming into his own just when Barrasso and Wreggett were both in their last year of their respective contracts. They sent Lalime to the minors even though he had proven he deserved to be in the NHL. It had nothing to do with Pittsburgh not thinking he was good enough. Your comparison has absolutely no bearing.

Closed Thread