HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Too Narrow vs. Too Wide

Old
01-21-2008, 07:05 AM
nexusrage21

vCash: 500
Too Narrow vs. Too Wide

Can anyone tell me the difference between problems you would face for skates being too narrow or too wide?

nexusrage21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:06 AM
LilWinger11

Too narrow: they're just plain going to hurt. Depending on where they're too narrow, they could pinch your toes, hurt at the arch, or cause problems with your Achilles or ankle bones. Skating long-term in skates that are too narrow can cause permanent foot problems. I'm living proof. (Mine were figure skates, but I see no reason why too-narrow hockey skates wouldn't cause the same problems eventually).

Too wide: the biggest issue will be that your foot moves around in the skate and the friction will cause blisters. A lot of people whose skates are too wide end up "gripping" with their toes, clenching them to try and get their foot to feel more secure in the skate. This doesn't really cause permanent damage, but you're going to have really sore toes after skating. I've never had skates that are too wide- it took me a long time to find skates that were wide enough- but I bet others will be able to come up with more consequences.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:48 AM
VisionQuest*

I used to play in skates that cut off the circulation to my right foot, which is slightly larger than my left.

I much prefer that to skates that are too wide and my feet flop and slide.

Last edited by VisionQuest*: 01-21-2008 at 08:53 AM.
VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:43 PM
nexusrage21

Could either one cause over pronation? Or would that be more likely from a different problem all together?

Thanks for the info by the way.

nexusrage21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:21 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post
Could either one cause over pronation? Or would that be more likely from a different problem all together?

Thanks for the info by the way.

huh, thats a good question, one I cant answer.

I would actually find the best local shop you can, preferably one that fits Grafs really well, and ask them these sorts of questions.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote