HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The End of My First Season

Old
01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
BuddehJuS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
The End of My First Season

It's over. I just completed my first season of C2 league hockey(the lowest house league.) What a blast.....during the second half of the season, . The first half was rough, we're not a highly talented team by any means, as a matter of fact, we're the worst team in the league. Though, that doesn't really matter since everyone has a great attitude! Well, we didn't win a single game all season though our last game we only lost 7 - 5.

Anyway, for me, the beginning of the season was rough, I had only been playing open hockey for about 10 months but I felt I was ready for league play. I was quite nervous and just tense though.

It took me 7 games to register my first point which was a lone assist, though it was the primary! The next two games I go pointless but have picked up my play considerably then on 1/06/08, I scored my first league goal! It was a flukey goal really, I just hurled it at the net and the goalie went to poke check it away and it ricocheted top shelf. I got to tell ya though, what an amazing feeling! All my hard work had just culimanated during that goal.

Next game which so happened to be the final game of the season, I registered 2 primary assists!

I know stats aren't everything but it felt good to end the season on a positive note! As it stands, I finished the season 11GP - 1G - 3A. I think this isn't too shabby considering it was my first season of "official" hockey and I had only been playing for a year.

Anyway, next season starts around Febuary 18th and I'm looking to at least double my point totals and hopefully help us win our first game!

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 07:38 PM
hockeyfreak95*

Send a message via AIM to hockeyfreak95*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
It's over. I just completed my first season of C2 league hockey(the lowest house league.) What a blast.....during the second half of the season, . The first half was rough, we're not a highly talented team by any means, as a matter of fact, we're the worst team in the league. Though, that doesn't really matter since everyone has a great attitude! Well, we didn't win a single game all season though our last game we only lost 7 - 5.

Anyway, for me, the beginning of the season was rough, I had only been playing open hockey for about 10 months but I felt I was ready for league play. I was quite nervous and just tense though.

It took me 7 games to register my first point which was a lone assist, though it was the primary! The next two games I go pointless but have picked up my play considerably then on 1/06/08, I scored my first league goal! It was a flukey goal really, I just hurled it at the net and the goalie went to poke check it away and it ricocheted top shelf. I got to tell ya though, what an amazing feeling! All my hard work had just culimanated during that goal.

Next game which so happened to be the final game of the season, I registered 2 primary assists!

I know stats aren't everything but it felt good to end the season on a positive note! As it stands, I finished the season 11GP - 1G - 3A. I think this isn't too shabby considering it was my first season of "official" hockey and I had only been playing for a year.

Anyway, next season starts around Febuary 18th and I'm looking to at least double my point totals and hopefully help us win our first game!
that's good;nobody has to get 60 points their first season and pull a crosby/ovechkin
keep playin;you'll get better

hockeyfreak95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Congrats! It's a big change, I went from playing open hockey to league this year. Much different level of intensity. So far we're tied for 1st (of 8 teams) and I've got 5g 2a in 12 gp. Hoping we make the playoffs, but it's all still pretty new, haha.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
LePalle

Send a message via AIM to LePalle
Congrats man, and trust me, you can get better pretty fast if youre committed.

My first year I had 3 assists in house league, spring league I had 1 goal, 5 assists, and then 2nd year, I had 9 goals 11 assists in the same league. It just takes a lot of hard work.

And whatever you do, dont get discouraged. Every person Ive talked to whos quit hockey wishes that they never gave up on it.

LePalle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Good job bro. It usually takes a couple seasons to really settle down, so you'll get better anyway.

Do other leagues actually keep track of assists? Then again my league doesn't even keep track of stats at all nor do they tell us at the end of the game who scored or assisted.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Good job bro. It usually takes a couple seasons to really settle down, so you'll get better anyway.

Do other leagues actually keep track of assists? Then again my league doesn't even keep track of stats at all nor do they tell us at the end of the game who scored or assisted.
That sucks man - one of the things I love most about playing hockey is seeing how everyone improves season to season, and the best way to see that is in their point production. I guess I'm just lucky my league keeps track of these things for us.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
That sucks man - one of the things I love most about playing hockey is seeing how everyone improves season to season, and the best way to see that is in their point production. I guess I'm just lucky my league keeps track of these things for us.
I think your a little off on that. My league keeps track of stats but stats don't nearly show the importance of a lot of players that contribute in other areas. I think the key is becoming a more complete player than just putting up points. Adds value to you as a reliable teammate.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagne22 View Post
Congrats man, and trust me, you can get better pretty fast if youre committed.

My first year I had 3 assists in house league, spring league I had 1 goal, 5 assists, and then 2nd year, I had 9 goals 11 assists in the same league. It just takes a lot of hard work.

And whatever you do, dont get discouraged. Every person Ive talked to whos quit hockey wishes that they never gave up on it.
I try. I usually skate at least twice a week, sometimes 3 depending on league games. Funny enough, today I had an hour private session with my Coach and didn't have to take a knee. I was wrecked for sure but I told him he wasn't breaking me down because about 6 months ago, my endurance was crap. One drill and I was sucking wind. I hadn't done a private lesson in a while after that just due to the sheer fact it's expensive and I was discouraged and had more fun playing open hockey. But, now the drills are fun because they are more hockey related then cruddy skating drills which can be quite dull. I'll probably do one or two more private sessions before the start of next season to really get going.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote