HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conditional pick in the Vokoun trade

Old
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Conditional pick in the Vokoun trade

I'm looking back at the Vokoun trade, and there was a conditional 2nd rounder (07 or 08) that was included. What were the conditions surrounding that pick?

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Brodeur

I was looking at the same thing and it seems like the '07 pick wasn't exercised and Nashville will have Florida's #2 (or perhaps Tampa's #2 which Florida got for Chris Gratton) in this year's draft. It might have come down to whether or not a player Nashville wanted was available with Florida's #2 or they wanted to roll the dice with a #2 in '08.

Similarly, that was the condition on the Sharks taking the Leafs '07 pick or '08 pick. San Jose saw a player they wanted (Logan Couture) and took Toronto's pick and made a trade with St. Louis to #9. I also think the Leafs had a top 10 protection if the Sharks had opted to wait til '08, so there was a possibility SJ could have had the pick deferred to '09......which in retrospect might have been a fun little gamble.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Actually Koun was traded for 2 conditional 2nd round picks 1 in 07 and 1 in 08 and a 08 1st. Nashville used it's 07 2nd round pick (Originally Detroit's) to select Nick Spaling

We are going to Wait until and see what Defenseman are available and use then decide when to use it . When we use our 2 top 5 picks on Defensemen (only to trade them away for nothing later) then we will pick another Defenseman.

Last edited by Gnashville: 01-17-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Actually, the deal was that Nashville had until the start of the second round to decide whether or not to take the pick last year or exercise their option until this year's draft. They decided to wait.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I am surprised you guys aren't talking more about the Panthers 1st pick watch...

That Vokoun trade would net the 3rd overall pick in the draft if it was held today! And it could very well be the 2nd pick if TB can continue their mini hot streak.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I am surprised you guys aren't talking more about the Panthers 1st pick watch...

That Vokoun trade would net the 3rd overall pick in the draft if it was held today! And it could very well be the 2nd pick if TB can continue their mini hot streak.
True, but we never pick high. Even in our expansion year we only received the third overall pick in a weak-top end draft. Generally the higher we pick, the worse the draft. Thankfully, this year there are some nice players available. Unfortunately, most of the top end players are defenseman, which we definitely do not need. Additionaly, there are still a ton of games left. After the trade deadline, there will be a lot more interest shown IMO.

01-20-2008, 11:56 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Last time I did a Vokoun watch, the Panthers went on a hot streak. If they hadn't gone on that hotstreak, they'd be fighting the Kings for worst in the NHL. When the Preds pick 6th overall in the 2008 draft, they can look back at that day a few months ago as the day that cost the Preds Stamkos.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote