HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines at practice today (as per RDS)

Old
01-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Sergei is going to get a highlight reel goal next game no matter who's on his line. I think Andrei is being an ass and telling him, "betcha can't do anything like that".

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
of course Begin is such a great player with a bright future in Montreal and NHL
I hate it too but Carbo likes his vets, and Begin has done alot for this team and deserves to play until he can't anymore.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Sergei is going to get a highlight reel goal next game no matter who's on his line. I think Andrei is being an ass and telling him, "betcha can't do anything like that".
I bet he gives Milan Lucic a rising dragon punch while screaming "MILAN IS A GIRL'S NAME"

edit: wait, Dragon punch is from street fighter...I meant Tornado Kick. You know, the move from Double Dragon where you press A+B together and he jumps in the air doing a spinning kick and it knocks everyone down in 1 hit.

Old
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

let's not forget that once Sergei was called up the team played a much better hockey. Send him back to Hamilton and the team will collapse

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:36 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
let's not forget that once Sergei was called up the team played a much better hockey. Send him back to Hamilton and the team will collapse
The only other option I see is a trade to open up a spot up front, but who do you trade? Ryder is the only appealing one for other teams.

Old
01-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Turbo

I think it's a fine decision to try the top 6 like this - Higgins-Koivu-Ryder may need each other to get out of their respective funks so it's definitely worth a try.

The bottom 6 is weird though, especially the Smolinski line. That said, I may be biased enough to think any line with Smolinski would be "weird". In my book, Chipchura can't be back soon enough to take back Smolinski's spot.

Lapierre seems wasted on that 4th line as well - he hasn't done much since he was taken away from Latendresse & S. Kost so it would seem worth it to me to try that combination again.

Plus Begin shouldn't get 3rd line minutes ever, especially on his first game back from a long injury. The guy is a 4th line checker and every time he was taken out of his role, he was completely ineffective.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
AlexMeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Higgins Koivu Ryder ---- About time, need to get this guy back on his horse. I like S. kost but Ryder will prove valuable if he can snap out of it. This is the only to get him back on track. Play him where he was successful in the past.

A. Kositsyn Plekanec Kovalev ---No Surprise here

Steve Bégin Bryan Smolinski Sergei Kostitsyn. -----At first Glance, what the hell!

Guillaume Latendresse, Maxim Lapierre, Tom Kostopoulos Mathieu Dandenault all practice on the forth line.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/244224.html
The RDS.ca article is a joke... Since when is Koivu's line the first line?

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Ugh, it looks like Sergei is one step away from returning to Hamilton. It's really too bad; I think he's been the best one on his line lately (though that's not saying much).

Reuniting Higgins-Koivu-Ryder and paving the way to eventually replace Sergei with Begin is not good news.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
It was seriously bad, every pass was a second off, pucks bouncing everywhere...Ryder back there is the right choice I think.
SK was not to blame for this though, he was making nice passes.
Higgins and Koivu have not been playing for quite some time, neither has Ryder. Sometimes, players will pumped themselves up because they're reunited.
Im hoping it'll do them some good but i doubt it. SK has looked better than Koivu-Higgins-Ryder IMO, so im not too happy about being demoted on a line that's obviously not promising.

The 2nd line is simply great, but this might be a good time to try the Kost Broz together.

If i were Carbo id ask Koivu how he felt about playing the wing on a line being centered by Plek and completed by Higgins.( we know Plek-Higgins works, maybe Koivu on the wing would help him save some energy a bit more and have more punch)
Id try Kovy centering the Kost Broz.
Making Lats-Laps(or Smokes)-Ryder our 3rd line.

Just to give it a try..worse case scenario, we go back to the old lines we know.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Other than Bégin being on the 3rd, i've got not problems with those lines...

You know they eventually had to go back to Higgins-Koivu-Ryder, you never know, if those 3 can recapture some magic we've got 2 solid scoring lines...

I just don't think Bégin has any business playing on anyother line but the 4th

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alexstream

Quote:
Not bad...I think it's time to put our old first line back together.

As for the bottom 2, I would rather see

Lats-Lappy-Billy K
Begin-Smoke-TK/Dandy
Totally !!
I feel that the actual "3rd line" is a joke... What didn't Carbo understand in the expression "Smolinski sucks on the 3rd line" (on the 4th too, as a matter of fact)
or in this other sentence : "Latendresse needs quality icetime in an offensive role cause he sucks at defense and really is a goal scorer!"

These ligned you designed my friend would at least give us a dynamic 3rd line with offensive potential.. I guess the age average is too low though

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Reuben

Quote:
you forgot this I hope.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Brisebois never plays 4-5min in a row, nor does any hockey player.

Brisebois or Streit, there's no difference. But im much more confident in Streit than in Brisebois. At least Streit will sometimes fix his mistakes and i think Streit would improve his D play a lot if Carbo would keep him there. Not easy to be playing F then Point on PP or D on PK and then switching back to D the fallowing game. Streit can be better.

Brisebois is completely useless out there, what is it that he does well??..
Not saying Streit is great on D, But with our offensive ''depth'' at the moment he's got no place on O.

Brisebois should retire. Halfway through season and he's been injured 3x already?..He actually thinks he was playing well before getting his latest injury. The man has been done for years but is procrastinating his retirement.
I said games, not minutes.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
I said games, not minutes.
woups my bad, sorry buddy.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
MathMan

I'm not sure I like the Begin-Smolinski-Kost Jr. line, but I can see the logic. Sergei is defensively responsible and can serve as the offensive threat on that line, much like Perezhogin was on the Johnson-Bonk-Perezhogin line last year, only he is less penalty-prone.

I might like to see Sergei with Lats and Lappy however for a kid line with scoring potential. His spot on the Smolinski line can be filled by Dandenault or Kostopoulos.

But Ryder has not played badly at all lately, and Koivu and Higgins are showing some energy but no finish. It's worth trying that line again, especially against Boston, where the team's confidence will be high.

Then again, one might suggest that Montreal is showcasing Ryder.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
I think that Billy K can produce there...But I do get the feeling he's going to be sent down. I predicted this would happen once Begin came back.
If NHLers are returning to health then obviously they are the most likely people to take an 'open' spot on the team. But if Sergei is cooling down and there is still room for someone to get a game or two, I'd like to see D'Agostini get a look in, just to see if he could handle it. His play lately has been good all round and his recent scoring streak (which ended last night) was fantastic. He might not be able to force his way onto a healthy, firing on all cylinders Habs team, but he is starting to make people pay attention to him.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not sure I like the Begin-Smolinski-Kost Jr. line, but I can see the logic. Sergei is defensively responsible and can serve as the offensive threat on that line, much like Perezhogin was on the Johnson-Bonk-Perezhogin line last year, only he is less penalty-prone.
Begin - Smolinski - S. Kostitsyn doesn't have the potential to be even close to as good as Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson.

Bonk and Johnson are both defensively responsible players with a little bit of offensive ability. Smolinski is a shell of his former self and Begin has absolutely no business being on any line but the fourth. Like Perezhogin, Sergei will be the best player on his line, but he'll have absolutely nobody to help him out.

I thought Sergei was the best one on his line recently. I remember in the Chicago game he set up both Latendresse and Koivu with wide open nets and they missed both of them. I'm not saying he's been spectacular by any means, but he's been more effective than Higgins, Koivu, or Latendresse and I don't think it's fair at all that he's put on a line that's doomed to fail. He'll get very, very few points with Begin and Smolinski and that will probably be used as an argument that he's not ready for the NHL.

I don't credit Andrei's success to Sergei at all, but I do think taking him off the team would have a pretty strong negative effect. It might bother a good portion of the team like Lapierre's demotion did last year as well.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
kdawg3522

Begin-Smolinski-SKost

Terrible.

At least put SKost with Dandy or someone else who can hussle, like Lapierre.

kdawg3522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I think people here forget just how good the Higgins-Koivu-Ryder line was last year.
-25 (Ryder)
-21 (Koivu)
-11 (Higgins)

Only Lats and Kovy were worst than them last year (and Souray, but I'm talking about forwards)

This line is always overrated, they didn't play well 5 on 5 last year AND this year... we've seen it and they'll never be "dominant"

...Ryder is a huge waste of roster spot right now, he should be traded so we can have SK, Lats, Lappy AND Chip playing instead...

What did Ryder do to deserve being on the first this year? Nothing! The reason he's there is because Lats plays like **** right now, that Higgins and Saku are to playing badly which put too much pressure on SK and that we don't have Perezhogin (or even Grabovski) anymore.

Don't kid yourself, this line won't produce 5 on 5...but they might bury a couple of goals there and then on the PP...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
I think people here forget just how good the Higgins-Koivu-Ryder line was last year.
-25..-28...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The line was not an issue. The team was totally different...Goaltending sucked, the transition game sucked, and Souray was the main problem with the team's +/-.

Different team now, different system, different everything.

Old
01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
The line was not an issue. The team was totally different...Goaltending sucked, the transition game sucked, and Souray was the main problem with the team's +/-.

This year, only Higgins and Saku played well and that was before their usual periodic funk...

Ryder has been a none factor all year long...

Adding Ryder to this trio is just not the answer...the answer are Higgins and Saku themselves...they got to start playing well and bury their ****ing chances...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
This year, only Higgins and Saku played well and that was before their usual periodic funk...

Ryder has been a none factor all year long...

Adding Ryder to this trio is just not the answer...the answer are Higgins and Saku themselves...they got to start playing well and bury their ****ing chances...
Ryder makes Higgins better. I know everyone loves to dump on Ryder but he has good chemistry with several players, including Koivu, Higgins and Latendresse. The guy is having an off year, been bounced around the lineup and press box. Uncertain about his future, his name comes up in trade rumours daily, family problems, etc, etc etc...

Give him a consistent spot in the line, some icetime with guys he's comfortable with and he'll bounce back. Guy needs to be more patient with his lines.

Old
01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Reuben

Quote:

the systems the same for starters. it's just executed better this season and the players are obviously more familiar with it. yes that line was an issue 5 on 5 and sorry but Souray wasn't the main problem 5 on 5 he was a part of it just like the rest of the minus club.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I love the third line, finally Carbonnea realizes that S. Kostitsyn needs to play with some offensively gifted forwards, especially pass first kinda players. The only thing I'm worried about is S. Kostitsyn and Begin being paired together, it's almost a bit too much finesse on one line.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote