HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Article Ever Written By Brooks - MSG NEGLECTS PRE-'94 BLUESHIRT GREATS

Old
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Best Article Ever Written By Brooks - MSG NEGLECTS PRE-'94 BLUESHIRT GREATS

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01202008...090.htm?page=0

This isn't about the current state of the team, but more about MSG and the handling of Rangers history. He's 100% right here. Even on MSG Network, you hardly ever hear anything about the Rangers past. You don't see the faces of the greats or anything anymore. It's like MSG tries so hard to make Rangers history 5 years. 1993-94, 1996-97, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08. What happened to the rest?

A little snippet for those who don't read articles and just like to make fun of Brooks
Quote:
They are an Original Six franchise, but you couldn't tell it from looking or walking around the arena, and you couldn't tell it by attending a game. Except for Giacomin and Gilbert, nothing happened before 1993-94.

Ron Greschner, who played more games wearing the Ranger sweater than any player in history, may as well not exist, except for those times he slips into the Garden seats behind the goal at Eighth Avenue that once upon a time, in fact, belonged to the Leetch Family. There's no reference to No. 4, anywhere.

Harry Howell, who actually was feted at the old Garden with a night during his Norris Trophy-winning 1966-67 season, is relegated to the imagination. There's no recognition of Emile Francis, one of the singular heroes of Ranger history. There's no platform devoted to respecting the achievements of the early great ones like Bill Cook, Ching Johnson, Art Coulter and Bryan Hextall, Sr.

Other teams play pregame videos highlighting their franchise histories. The Rangers don't. The Garden can produce and feature a video about some hotel bellhop or doorman coming to the game wearing goalies' gear and a mask, but they won't produce a three- or four-minute clip devoted to team history.

Other teams have Halls of Fame. The Rangers don't. Other teams pay homage to great players who fall short of the standard for number retirement by displaying their jerseys. The Rangers don't.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 01-21-2008 at 02:58 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:14 PM
SaveByLundqvist

yeah i read that article today it was great .... they got billy joel and elton john banners up but they don't recognize anything else of the rangers past before 1994 ... i'd be happy with a cooler intro to start the games that has a timeline kinda of the teams history. instead of renney being like ... "pride. .tradition .. this is what it means to be a ranger" and then that stupid pirates of the carribean song... the intros the past two years were way cooler

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Definitely. Something like that would be awesome.

Old
01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I hate those Billy Joel and Elton John banners, looks cheap, PLEASE take them down!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Billy deserves to be there, at 1 point he was the highest selling solo artist of all time. 100+ million albums sold. New Yorker through and through.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Best Article Ever Written By Brooks
to steal a quote I heard from this board (can't remember who): that's like being the hottest fat chick.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Brooks can write decent articles when he doesn't talk about the Rangers current state of affairs or trade rumors.

Old
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Best Article Ever Written By Brooks

Is this what is called an oxymoron?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 02:52 PM
TrueBlue9

It is a good article and a topic worth its dscussion. He is absolutley right.

I can tell you part of the reason i chose the Yanks over the Mets as a kid was its well published heritage and tradition. It's an extremely proud organization and its PR scheme reflects that. It's important our fan base respects the teams history, especially the younger generation.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Who cares?

How about digging up some dirt on Sather or something.

Thats more interesting at this point then this inconsequential garbage

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Who cares?

How about digging up some dirt on Sather or something.

Thats more interesting at this point then this inconsequential garbage
Agreed, i thought it was a lame article. If they were going to retire those numbers, they should have done it within ten years after those guys stopped playing. Its way too late now. I wouldn't blame the Dolans for that, I'd blame whoever owned the team when those guys retired.

Does it occur to Larry that despite having been an Original 6 franchise, they didn't win jack **** between 1940 and 94? Granted I never saw Greschner play, but I don't think he was on the same level of a Leetch, Messier or Gilbert.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
h0ckeyman

I would agree, but since i gave the bellhop a pound that epic rangers movie...this article is completely invalid.

h0ckeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Agreed, i thought it was a lame article. If they were going to retire those numbers, they should have done it within ten years after those guys stopped playing. Its way too late now. I wouldn't blame the Dolans for that, I'd blame whoever owned the team when those guys retired.

Does it occur to Larry that despite having been an Original 6 franchise, they didn't win jack **** between 1940 and 94? Granted I never saw Greschner play, but I don't think he was on the same level of a Leetch, Messier or Gilbert.
He doesn't mean that they don't retire all of those jerseys. He means that MSG doesn't even really acknowledge the history of the team except 1994. You never hear about much about the older players and about the team's history pre-1994. Most newer fans don't even know much about the team before then.

Old
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
The team doesn't focus on its history because it is a sea of utter incompetence littered with mere islets of greatness.

The joke of the Original Six.

Old
01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Two years ago when we raised this issue, Garden personnel suggested that the club's history would be properly recognized once a new Garden opens or this Garden is completely renovated
So they can put up a new scoreboard and "power rings", but not raise a couple of banners?

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Choice

Quote:
He doesn't mean that they don't retire all of those jerseys. He means that MSG doesn't even really acknowledge the history of the team except 1994. You never hear about much about the older players and about the team's history pre-1994. Most newer fans don't even know much about the team before then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
The team doesn't focus on its history because it is a sea of utter incompetence littered with mere islets of greatness.

The joke of the Original Six.
Agree with dkatzism. What are you gonna focus on? For the most part, the team sucked balls between 1940 and 94. The Chicago Cubs of hockey almost.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
The Thomas J.*

I agree with Brooks on this one, the Rangers need to embrace there history more, I know players come & go, & there werent many bright spots during the cup less years, but there were some really good to great ayers that should be remembered for there individual achievements in a Ranger sweater.

Now that being said the main reason the 94 Rangers are revered & always will be is becuse they won the cup & no matter how many cups are won in the future the 94 team will always be the team.

I would like to see the Rangers make some kind of tribute to its past players, maybe like a monument park in the main loby or another location in the gardrn that is acessible to the fans.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I agree with Brooks on this one, the Rangers need to embrace there history more, I know players come & go, & there werent many bright spots during the cup less years, but there were some really good to great ayers that should be remembered for there individual achievements in a Ranger sweater.

Now that being said the main reason the 94 Rangers are revered & always will be is becuse they won the cup & no matter how many cups are won in the future the 94 team will always be the team.

I would like to see the Rangers make some kind of tribute to its past players, maybe like a monument park in the main loby or another location in the gardrn that is acessible to the fans.
There were....Frank Boucher, the Cook Brothers, Ratelle, Park, Hadfield, Howell, Hextall, Gresch...all these guys are RANGERS! look at what teams like the Leafs, Habs, Hawks, Bruins do for their former players.. The Rangers history may be dismal because there were no cups but it is a very rich history! Honor all those guys who played for NY

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
NHLhockey1234

you've got to be kidding me. You say this is the best article? Listen to the freeking podcast that NYRangers Cast put up. We don't need to listen to garbage from Brooks about the advertising of us as an original six team. Let us win a cup, then we can embrace our history.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
GarretJoseph*

I don't need to be reminded of the past. I've read books about the early years with the NYR & NHL. I've searched for footage on the net of earlier games. MSG shows a lot of classic games. Its so hard to get your # retired by NYR and I like it like that. It still means something.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
if this is Brookes best work then he is not a serious candidate for the Pulitzer prize, so much is certain.

Having said that he is definitely striking a serious chord here I always felt needed addressing. We had these discussion up and down the hill several times over

Are the heroes of 94 given a special place in the Halcyon of MSG at the expense of all other Greats that have dressed in Blue, White and Red.

Of course there are opinions of who should be in the rafters. We know for sure that Fraser, Karpa, Driver and Quintal are not amongst them.

Greshner as Rangers captain, career Ranger, most games with the club of any Ranger and a decent amount of points (really is staggering) is not retired. makes me speechless!
Howell, Park, Bathgate IMO should be up there before Adam Graves who I love to bits
and Giacomin

So this is an endless debate and I feel the club is slighting the old guard who made this club great!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 08:47 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
if this is Brookes best work then he is not a serious candidate for the Pulitzer prize, so much is certain.

Having said that he is definitely striking a serious chord here I always felt needed addressing. We had these discussion up and down the hill several times over

Are the heroes of 94 given a special place in the Halcyon of MSG at the expense of all other Greats that have dressed in Blue, White and Red.

Of course there are opinions of who should be in the rafters. We know for sure that Fraser, Karpa, Driver and Quintal are not amongst them.

Greshner as Rangers captain, career Ranger, most games with the club of any Ranger and a decent amount of points (really is staggering) is not retired. makes me speechless!
Howell, Park, Bathgate IMO should be up there before Adam Graves who I love to bits
and Giacomin

So this is an endless debate and I feel the club is slighting the old guard who made this club great!
As I said though, it's not so much raising their banners, although it would be nice for a few others, but how about just paying homage to them? Showing fans that this is our history, not just 1994. We had some really great years in the 70s, you don't really hear much about those days anymore, it's just 1994, Gretzky Hat-trick, and the present

Old
01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
NYR_Geoff1

Send a message via AIM to NYR_Geoff1
Just by reading some of the reactions in this thread is exactly why MSG doesn't have such historical pieces displayed around the Garden... people just don't seem to care.

NYR_Geoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
As I said though, it's not so much raising their banners, although it would be nice for a few others, but how about just paying homage to them? Showing fans that this is our history, not just 1994. We had some really great years in the 70s, you don't really hear much about those days anymore, it's just 1994, Gretzky Hat-trick, and the present

agree 100 pct - I love the tradition

Like in the premiership - name MSG sections after greats, name a drink Don Murdoch or somethign

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
agree 100 pct - I love the tradition

Like in the premiership - name MSG sections after greats, name a drink Don Murdoch or somethign
Murdoch Brew

The Prime Rib sandwich could be called the Bathgate or the Espo