HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

1993- What the hell happened??

Old
01-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
1993- What the hell happened??

How in the world did a mediocre Blues team sweep the Blackhawks in the 1993 playoffs?

IMO, that Blues team is an oddity, because they pulled the upset with a team that I think was inferior to their 1991, 1998 and 2000 teams.

Also, they didn't exactly have the greatest set of defenseman- they had Butcher, and Pronger was not drafted and MacInnis was still in Calgary.

They barely make the playoffs, only because Minnesota collapsed IIRC- and they WON???

Not only that, but they took Toronto to seven games in the next round!

Also, they helped the L.A. Gretzkys and Habs make their "magical" runs without facing superior opponents.

As a Sabre fan, I can relate to a sweep of a division champ in 1993, but I still don't know how yours happened- Please explain.

Last edited by Al Bundy*: 01-20-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 05:46 PM
General Veers

Oh man! That game 4 was the best game I've ever been to! Belfour got caught out of the net and bumped into Hull while trying to get back in the crease, meanwhile Janney dumps it on net and it somehow squirts though. After realizing no interference call was coming, Belfour went nuts! I can't find a YouTube for it anywhere! We've always been underdogs and whenever we've been the favorite, we've failed miserably. Kind of strange...

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
Oh man! That game 4 was the best game I've ever been to! Belfour got caught out of the net and bumped into Hull while trying to get back in the crease, meanwhile Janney dumps it on net and it somehow squirts though. After realizing no interference call was coming, Belfour went nuts! I can't find a YouTube for it anywhere! We've always been underdogs and whenever we've been the favorite, we've failed miserably. Kind of strange...
Nice avatar. Who's that?

Old
01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I think you underestimate the Blues defense that year. Jeff Brown, Murray Baron, and Bret Hedican. And you cannot forget Cujo.

The Blues top line was devastation: Shanahan - Janney - Hull. Their secondary scoring was not deep, but it was still quite good: Emerson, Kevin Miller - and Jeff Brown was great.

Also, look how gritty and mean they were: Bassen, McRae, Quintal, two Sutters, Dave Lowry (in addition to Butcher and Baron). Plus, so many of their players were in their mid to late 20's, when they were faster, stronger, and fiestier. That year, the Blackhawks had a lot of secondary scoring, but didn't have the high-end scoring destruction of the Blues. And they were older for the most part, during a time when conditioning isn't quite what it is today.

The Hawks had the Blues beat on overall depth, but at the end of the day, the matchup wasn't as unfair as you might guess. Because no matter how good the Chicago defense was, you can count on a couple of goals from the line of Hull - Janney - Shanahan. A nice streak from Cujo (shut out Chicago twice in four games) and there you have it.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:25 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Nice avatar. Who's that?
My favorite player as a kid, current Blues goaltending coach Rick Wamsley. I forgot to mention Joseph in my 1st post. He would stop a massive amount of rubber! That's why we started using the whole "we're not worthy" bowing thing from Wayne's World to praise him, because he was our savior every night!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:57 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

strangely enough it was the '93 playoffs that were my first as a Blues fan. I got into hockey well after most of my friends. I was never much of a sports-person.

anyways, Cujo was standing on his head that playoffs and it took one of the Leafs players (can't recall who) drop kicking Cujo to win the series for them, and the Blues played a tight checking, trap-like style, grinding their opponents into the ground.

I still recall game 7, OT and Doug flipping Gilmour behind the net. So heartbreaking. I was ******** bricks when they had to play ... oh god why can't I recall who was the backup? I think there was a G starting the first or last name. bah.

Whats worse is I think the Blues would have been better matched up against the Kings than the Leafs were but I still don't believe we could have beat Montreal that year. Roy was unstoppable.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
that would be Guy Hebert I believe

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM
MU_Beerman

Jeff Brown was like a 4th forward, god love him. Only Jesus has more saves than Curtis Joseph.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 12:32 AM
br0therj0e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
anyways, Cujo was standing on his head that playoffs and it took one of the Leafs players (can't recall who) drop kicking Cujo to win the series for them, and the Blues played a tight checking, trap-like style, grinding their opponents into the ground.

I still recall game 7, OT and Doug flipping Gilmour behind the net. So heartbreaking. I was ******** bricks when they had to play ... oh god why can't I recall who was the backup? I think there was a G starting the first or last name. bah.

Whats worse is I think the Blues would have been better matched up against the Kings than the Leafs were but I still don't believe we could have beat Montreal that year. Roy was unstoppable.
It was actually game 1 that Gilmour did his wrap around game winning goal. Game 7 was a blowout as the entire team imploded. Cujo was the reason we had the sweep of the Blackhawks and lasted til game 7 of the Toronto series.

br0therj0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0therj0e View Post
It was actually game 1 that Gilmour did his wrap around game winning goal. Game 7 was a blowout as the entire team imploded. Cujo was the reason we had the sweep of the Blackhawks and lasted til game 7 of the Toronto series.
maybe I don't really remember. I thought that was the following playoffs versus Dallas that were smacked around pretty good and Cujo imploded, not that season but the old noggin' ain't what it used to be.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Ah, the '93 playoffs - what memories. It was that year that Ken Wilson's, "OH BABY!" became famous, and when CuJo got noticed as an outstanding young goalie in the league, but also the year we shocked Chicago and Toronto would rally to upset Detroit and seal Tim Cheveldae's fate as a Red Wings goaltender.

I remember Brian Noonan and I think Mike Hudson scoring in Game 1 as I was with my then-GF and my parents out for lunch and thinking, "What in the ...." and the GF getting upset b/c I was watching the game. [I should have seen it as a sign of things to come.] I remember being in St. Louis for Game 3 with Blueski and DaBo and Belfour slugging Shanahan after he covered up the puck and Shanny sprayed ice into his face; Belfour gives a right, Shanahan gives him a 2-hander back, and everyone rolled into the corner swinging ... except for Jeff Brown and whoever he was paired up with [neither one was going to fight by any stretch]; the next 15 minutes guys are in the corner trying to kill one another, and Brown and his guy are standing 30 feet away watching and every so often they'd tug hard on each other's jerseys as if, "crap - someone's watching, make it look like we're gonna go!" and then they'd stand there some more. When it was all sorted out, Belfour got a double-minor for roughing ......... and that's all that got called.

And Janney's OT goal to seal the deal and Belfour going berserk; I believe the Blues were even down 3-2 in the 3rd and scored late to force the OT.

Then 1994 ... and Dallas talking trash before the series and saying they knew how to beat CuJo [shoot high], and then they came in and shot high at every chance and rattled him in going on to the series sweep.

01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I wonder what goalie has the record for breaking sticks over the goal. Belfour has to be up there.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I wonder what goalie has the record for breaking sticks over the goal.

This guy.