HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Can anyonme come up with a good reason to continue rooting for this team?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 11:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500

I mean, in spite of the ineptitude that was 1940!!, we as Ranger fans felt a strong bond with this team. "1940" was almost a badge of honor, a testament to our loyalty. But, what makes anyone want to root for this collection of egos and salaries anymore? The GM/coach has shown downright disgust for the fanbase. The ownership cares only about the dollars that it can suck from its clientele. And, the team doesn't have enough pride to show any heart in preventing the resulting embarrassment of last night's game. The more millions this organization spends, the greater the embarrassment quotient increases. This team didn't need jagr; it needed an overhaul, from the ownership on down. :mad:

Old
01-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Profet

There's always next year... err...

At least we can look forward to a high draft pick... err...

At least the youngsters will thrive with all the ice time... err...

Since they suck, ticket prices are cheap... err...

They may suck, but at least they show up to play every night... err...

They may not show up to play every night, but at least their talent shows through... err...

Old
01-25-2004, 11:49 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Nope, can't thing of a single good reason.

Got some bad ones though:

1) Rangers may turn it around with a victory tomorrow.

2) I'm a masochist.

3) My father was right. I am an idiot.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Fletch

Assuming we live a long time...

we should outlive the Sather Era, and quite possibly the Dolan Era. There will be a cycle in the next 10 years during which the product on the ice will improve. There may once again be a coach, GM, and players we like.

I guess. But honestly, I have not watched games with much vigor this season; nor have I gone out of my way to attend, or watch, games.

Anybody going Friday?

Old
01-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Pearl Necklace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas

Nope.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:38 AM
rickyrod

seriously, how long can this terrible play last? i know we had the 54 year drought of cup wins before our last one, but we made it to the finals numerous times...so thats encouraging. if you jump off the wagon now, and jump back on if/when the team starts winning, you'll probably end up kicking yourself. the sweet aint as sweet without the bitter, right? right?

of course, we could all just be masochist's like kingslor points out.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
It's too late for me to turn back now, runs through my blood.

Go Rangers

Old
01-26-2004, 12:53 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Yes I can

The law of averages states that some day the Rangers will make the playoffs....and when that day comes, it will be worth it knowing that you were rooting for them all along, even through the bad times.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:12 AM
barnaby63

Exactly, everyone is off the bandwagon and doesnt root for the team anymore. But if they ever make the playoffs everyone will be a fan again.

At least i know i rooted for them when it was bad.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I mean, in spite of the ineptitude that was 1940!!, we as Ranger fans felt a strong bond with this team. "1940" was almost a badge of honor, a testament to our loyalty. But, what makes anyone want to root for this collection of egos and salaries anymore? The GM/coach has shown downright disgust for the fanbase. The ownership cares only about the dollars that it can suck from its clientele. And, the team doesn't have enough pride to show any heart in preventing the resulting embarrassment of last night's game. The more millions this organization spends, the greater the embarrassment quotient increases. This team didn't need jagr; it needed an overhaul, from the ownership on down. :mad:

Simply, because when the ship gets righted, it will eventually, sticking with them through all this will make it all the more sweeter.

01-26-2004, 02:25 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Simply, because when the ship gets righted, it will eventually, sticking with them through all this will make it all the more sweeter.
True 'dat. You know, I was thinking. Is it a stretch for me to name this the absolute lowest point in 7 years? There's been some bad ones. Remember the Stl Louis beating a few years ago, when Kloucek was the only player who showed up? The 5-0 Devs game earlier. The holiday shellacking laid on us by Atlanta a last year. But this friggin' fealing? This could be my lowest point as a Rangers fan.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:40 AM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
True 'dat. You know, I was thinking. Is it a stretch for me to name this the absolute lowest point in 7 years? There's been some bad ones. Remember the Stl Louis beating a few years ago, when Kloucek was the only player who showed up? The 5-0 Devs game earlier. The holiday shellacking laid on us by Atlanta a last year. But this friggin' fealing? This could be my lowest point as a Rangers fan.

I would agree, this is worse than that New Years beating we took a few years back, worse than the constant confused looks by Low, worse than the Theo meltdown and the attack on S.J. Sharkey, worse than the 6-0 Detroit massacre that I had my only seats on the glass for. But as singin and some others have said, sticking now will only make it sweeter. It's times like these that separate the true fans from the fair-weathers.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:58 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobis13
But as singin and some others have said, sticking now will only make it sweeter. It's times like these that separate the true fans from the fair-weathers.
Yeah, that may be. But do you know HOW LONG it's going to take now? At least Smith started moving towards rebuilding by stopping the trades. All Sather does is add it all on. We now have Holik & Jagr making $9m & $11m a year for the next 5 years. I know that JJ is making "only" 5.5m, but whatever the ramifications of the CBA will be, bet your bottom dollar that it will count the full $11. We are now loaded w/ contracts. It may take another 4-5 years until this team can truly be rebuilt. And that's ONLY providing that Dolan comes to his senses and sends Jackass on a permanent vacation and just completely starts every effort to dismantle the current version now.
We've rooted for some tough teams before, but NEVER has there been an embarassment like this one.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:02 AM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Yeah, that may be. But do you know HOW LONG it's going to take now? At least Smith started moving towards rebuilding by stopping the trades. All Sather does is add it all on. We now have Holik & Jagr making $9m & $11m a year for the next 5 years. I know that JJ is making "only" 5.5m, but whatever the ramifications of the CBA will be, bet your bottom dollar that it will count the full $11. We are now loaded w/ contracts. It may take another 4-5 years until this team can truly be rebuilt. And that's ONLY providing that Dolan comes to his senses and sends Jackass on a permanent vacation and just completely starts every effort to dismantle the current version now.
We've rooted for some tough teams before, but NEVER has there been an embarassment like this one.
I know, I know...sometimes I wish I could just close my eyes, stick my fingers in my ears and say, "La la la la la la." Hopefully when you open them again things will be better. Unfortunately I even watched every second of that 9-1 game...I have yet to turn one off in disgust in all my years and I don't plan on it now. Heck, I'm 25, I can wait. (Not that I want to!)

Old
01-26-2004, 11:57 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

This is not to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
Exactly, everyone is off the bandwagon and doesnt root for the team anymore. But if they ever make the playoffs everyone will be a fan again.

that I would stop ever being a Ranger fan. I started following them in the early 70's, so I was patient enough to wait 20+ years for a championship. The point is that, other than blind loyalty and fanaticism, there really is no compelling reason to like this team, except the notion that some people find car crashes compelling.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:42 PM
TXNYR

Honestly, if I could follow another team, I would.

Being stuck in Houston, I follow the local AHL team, the Aeros. Being that they are the farm team for the Wild, I watch a lot of players go back and forth. Perfect opportunity to follow another team, right? Nope. I am a Ranger fan, through and through. As frustrated as I have been with this team, there are many times that I wish I just could. In a lot of ways, the Wild are a team that I wish the Rangers were. But I can't. My heart is and always be with the Rangers.

I'm not even doing it so that when they do win, I'll know that I was there for the whole ride. I would have left a long time ago if that were the case.

I am still a Ranger fan because I don't have a choice.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:49 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63

Loyalty is one thing. Blind loyalty is something else. There comes a point where you just can't walk off the edge of a cliff because you're a fan. I have to force myself to root against Sather and Dolan because that's the only way the Rangers can ever be successful again.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:16 PM
TXNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Loyalty is one thing. Blind loyalty is something else. There comes a point where you just can't walk off the edge of a cliff because you're a fan. I have to force myself to root against Sather and Dolan because that's the only way the Rangers can ever be successful again.
I agree, Kazo. I think that the 9-1 game couldn't have happened at a better time for Ranger fans. Sather responds to heal was ails the Rangers with another, 'zero defense', fickle, has-been, forward. He was actually quoted as saying that the Rangers are only two points out of playoff contention and that he believes that Jagr will put us on the winning side. What better time for this game and score?

Old
01-26-2004, 02:43 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

If the NHL ever had a Hard Cap, the Rangers will be in trouble for the next 5 years. If they have a soft cap, like the NBA, they will be the Knicks of Hockey. Meaning always being over the cap and barely making the playoffs.

Old
01-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Edge

I watch this team to get depressed and right good lyrics for songs.....

BTW Macho, nice avataar, EXCELLENT album.

RIP Layne

Old
01-26-2004, 10:01 PM
TKLOOCH22

Seriously, even if the Rangers were able to string together wins and make the playoffs, there is no way to get excited over it. Knowing the players couldn't give a **** about each other, and there is no resemblance of a team one cant enjoy the success of these Rangers.

Old
01-26-2004, 10:02 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I watch this team to get depressed and right good lyrics for songs.....

BTW Macho, nice avataar, EXCELLENT album.

RIP Layne
Holy ****!!!

I always associated Machoking with matricide.

Old
01-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
"It takes neither courage nor intelligence to cheer for a team only when that team wins. The true test of a fan's mettle is the same as it is for a player, Were you there when you were needed ? " - Ian Wilson

but then again I'm a life long Red Sox fan...

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
01-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
The law of averages states that some day the Rangers will make the playoffs....and when that day comes, it will be worth it knowing that you were rooting for them all along, even through the bad times.

The law of averages also states you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than winning the lottery. So does that mean you wait for one, hoping the other will follow?

Old
01-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
But, what makes anyone want to root for this collection of egos and salaries anymore? :mad:
What keeps me coming back game after game.....year after year(31 years now) despite the mediocrity and ineptitudude, is cause of loyalty....simple as that. And cause once in awhile like in 1972 when the Rangers lost to the Bruins in the Cup finals....like in 1979 when the Rangers beat those "invinsible" Islanders and made that unexpected magical run to the Cup finals where we lost to the Canadians.......like in 1983 when "smurfs" like Rejo Rutsolainen and Mike Rogers helped us make that sweet playoff run.......like in 1986 when guys like Steve Baker, Pierre Larouche led us on that unexpected run to the Eastern finals......like in 1997 when WGretzky led us back to the Eastern finals where we got smoked by the Flyers to squelch our dreams that our magical Cup we won in '94 would happen again........That's why I'm a Ranger fan cause even though it sux that we haven't went dancin for the past six years, there is still the hope that we can make it to the dance again and have excitment again.

As y'all know there is NOTHING....I mean nothing that comes even remotly close to what it feels like to be a Ranger fan during a Ranger playoff run and all the anticipation, the "buzz" and excitment that comes with it. That's why you should remain a Ranger fan and still stay hopefull....Sure I'm ticked about how things have played out over the past six years and sure I'm ticked at how inconsistant and unlucky we've been this year. But last I checked, there is still 32 games left and this puppy is far from over. And when we do make it to the dance, which we will, there is going to be nothing, once again, like being a Ranger fan again and going to MSG to catch that playoff buzz once again.

Meantime, don't worry, I'll save you room on the bandwagon when the Rangers start to win hockey games again......

-Maxie

Closed Thread