HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Repik's Chances For This Season

Old
08-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Repik's Chances For This Season

What's the probability he will finally crack the roster out of training camp? If he doesn't make it, it would be his 3rd season in the AHL. Thoughts?

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Georgia Panther

Personally, like Ellerby, I don't think DeBoer likes him and won't give him a fair opportunity to make the team. Perhaps Tallon will intervene but Repik being European, I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:58 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

i dont see how he will there's so much logjam above him and i dont think he makes a good bottom 6 winger

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

I think he could make the team, and if he shows he deserves to be there above certain other guys then he will be. Thing is, even though we don't have much top end talent up front right now, we do have a plethora of quality 2nd and 3rd liners, so it won't be easy for him. If he doesn't look like he'll crack the top 9, then he'll be sent down. Tallon said he would hold one roster spot open for a prospect to possibly make the team, so we'll see if he holds true to that. I think Gud, Ellerby, Repik, Dadonov, McArdle, Duco, etc. will all be fighting for that spot. It's also possible none of them make it.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 08:52 AM
LuckyLuke87

So Repik didn't make a team and was sent down. Last season it was small sample, but I really liked his play. He's opossite of Olesz - small but battling hard and playing with heart, just needed more talent than Kreps / Campbell to play with. He made some great moves on 4th line playing with guys with zero hockey IQ. But now, I don't know, what's going to happen with him. It's going to be his 3rd season in AHL where he's got nothing else to prove. And because PDB obviously doesn't like him and won't give him a chance, there are two options - trade or Europe. What do you think? It's a shame, that team seriously lacking talent doesn't give a chance to player, who deserves it. I would love to see him play on 2nd/3rd line with Matthias/Reino and Higgins/Stillman, but as long as PDB is here, it won't happen...

LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 09:59 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
So Repik didn't make a team and was sent down. Last season it was small sample, but I really liked his play. He's opossite of Olesz - small but battling hard and playing with heart, just needed more talent than Kreps / Campbell to play with. He made some great moves on 4th line playing with guys with zero hockey IQ. But now, I don't know, what's going to happen with him. It's going to be his 3rd season in AHL where he's got nothing else to prove. And because PDB obviously doesn't like him and won't give him a chance, there are two options - trade or Europe. What do you think? It's a shame, that team seriously lacking talent doesn't give a chance to player, who deserves it. I would love to see him play on 2nd/3rd line with Matthias/Reino and Higgins/Stillman, but as long as PDB is here, it won't happen...
I gotta agree with you. Based upon our preseason play, Repik definitely brings more offensive gumption (and confidence for that matter) than Olesz. Repik's hands are pretty solid and I often notice him making an adept dangle/deke before passing. I think a third line spot and 2nd PP duties would be good for him. We'll see what we have with Repik over a full season. I'd personally take that over Olesz(known quantity). What else do we have to lose if we play Repik over Olesz(big loophole: the salary buried in the minors)?

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
I'm confident that Repik will see playing time this season and will be a full time roster player next year.

Stillman is coming off the books at the end of the season and may very well be traded at the deadline. Dvorak and Higgins are also UFA at season's end. And then there's Olesz, who will likely be gone via buyout next summer. That's four forward spots. There's also Bernier, who is an RFA but is making $2 million and might not be worth the qualifying offer. And even though he's a center Reasoner is also coming off the books at the end of the year. That's potentially six forward spots right there, maybe even at the trade deadline if we're sellers (which we likely will be), that will go to guys like Repik, Dadonov, McArdle, etc.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 12:38 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I'm confident that Repik will see playing time this season and will be a full time roster player next year.

Stillman is coming off the books at the end of the season and may very well be traded at the deadline. Dvorak and Higgins are also UFA at season's end. And then there's Olesz, who will likely be gone via buyout next summer. That's four forward spots. There's also Bernier, who is an RFA but is making $2 million and might not be worth the qualifying offer. And even though he's a center Reasoner is also coming off the books at the end of the year. That's potentially six forward spots right there, maybe even at the trade deadline if we're sellers (which we likely will be), that will go to guys like Repik, Dadonov, McArdle, etc.
I really wish I could agree with you because I 'd like nothing more than to see this happen but I have to disagree. If they were really planning to open up spots for those youngsters next year, why wait till next year? they could've just not signed higgins and reasoner, thus creating two spots for youngsters. To me it looks like the panthers will continue signing in guys and not giving the younger guys a proper chance. they say roster spots are earned regardless of contract but we all know that's not true.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
ursavolta

i don't think repik is going to make the lineup.. maybe some call ups but anything than that would be surprising for me..

He did stick out so much offensively or defensively.. sure sure we have to give youngsters a shot to develop..

but i think the people upstairs are going to give time to players that are going to progress in the nhl.. put up numbers....pull their weight around... to me matthias was wayy more of a prospect of gaining experience and becoming a positive chipping nhler then repik.. last year when repik was around i was not impressed by him what so ever..easy to knock off the puck..at least Mcardel threw his body around and a enforcer for us in certain times... even people here mentioned santos gaining a spot on the 4th line...after just acquiring him..hes proving more of a impactful player.. wheres repik in this?

small guy.. not a big impact player..and tallons going for grit and bigger players..

we have so many speed players already..

even tho i do not like olesz.. but at least olesz is bigger, holds the puck more.. and more experience...(no hockey I.Q. what so ever)..

but i don't see him being a major threat in the nhl anytime soon..

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Honestly, Repik didn't impress me at all really this preseason. He's got good potential, but he's gotta earn a job, no one should have one handed to him. I agree with some of ursa's comments here, he still seems too easy to knock off the puck at times and his size is a disadvantage too often. When you're a small guy, you have to do something to make yourself noticed and stand out. Whether it be throwing your weight around and outbattling other guys physically, or flashing some impressive skill like Dadonov did here and there. Repik's got a great shot and once in a while will get the puck in a prime scoring area and absolutely bury it, but he's gotta do more in his callups if he wants to stick around.

It's got nothing to do with DeBoer, if he plays well enough then DeBoer is not gonna refuse his offensive talents. Heck, would you, if you were Panthers' head coach right now? And if Repik is deemed to have an attitude problem then that's his own fault, again, everything is in his hands. Now we got Dadonov who I think has surpassed Repik in his standing with the club, Santo really making a big impression, and guys behing him like McFarland and Bjugstad who will be seriously knocking on the door in a year or two. They will really push Repik in the upcoming years and and that's a good thing. Either he'll rise above or he'll sink.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

I like Repik and would like to see him get some quality time on the second line with matthias and maybe olesz. But no one is going to hand him anything and unfortunately playing on the 4th line with grinders won't help his cause. As others have said I think next year will be better for him when stiller, dvo etc. are gone. He definitely could turn out to be a St-Louis lite, who knows?

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote