HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Lounge: 3rd Time's a Charm

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Happy Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Sooooo...it's looking like we're headed back to Orlando. Maybe it's because I've worked for myself for the last 4 years, but I had no idea the job market was this bad down here. I can't get a job anywhere. I've tried towing companies, other pool companies, the sheriff's office (only hiring corrections deputies, I was hoping for 911 operator, clerk, or aide), Best Buy, Home Depot, Blockbuster (I was a manager with them for a long time during college), and even Target. Nothing!

I mailed out several hundred postcards and haven't recived one phone call, thought I'd at least receive one. That's how it usually works, you get phone calls on about 10 to 15% what you mail out. Nothing.

I at least know in Orlando that I can get vacation homes for a good amount and can go to the hotels to supplement until my wife finishes school and I build up my route again. My wife really likes it here, but we can't stay if we don't get any money coming in.

Even if I could get a job at some of the places I've looked, it's probably a difference of $1600 to $2000 here as opposed to $3200 to $4000 in Orlando, without my wife working and being able to focus on school. I love Orlando, just feel bad for her, she has family here and she really likes the house we're renting.

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see.

I am sorry to hear that. Have you tried sending out a follow up mailer or running a promotion of some kind? In a recession, people are less likely to make any major changes. So it can be hard to build up business. Sometimes running a promotion can entice business. You might take a hit on the pay but if it turns into a client - then it's worth a short term loss. Also sometimes persistence pays off. Do you have phone numbers to call people to follow up on the post cards? You could call the hotels or stop by to drop off a coupon. good luck with everything.

Old
04-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
I am sorry to hear that. Have you tried sending out a follow up mailer or running a promotion of some kind? In a recession, people are less likely to make any major changes. So it can be hard to build up business. Sometimes running a promotion can entice business. You might take a hit on the pay but if it turns into a client - then it's worth a short term loss. Also sometimes persistence pays off. Do you have phone numbers to call people to follow up on the post cards? You could call the hotels or stop by to drop off a coupon. good luck with everything.
We actually give the first month half off and the second at 25% off. Every referral given gets them a free month. Unfortunately no phone numbers. It takes time to build up a route, I was able to see what did and didn't work while in Orlando, but it's a different dynamic down here.

i worked at the Gaylord Palms for a year and a half while I built my route up in Orlando and I don't mind working elsewhere again while I build up my route here, but I can't find anything. I sold my route there so we could move down here, build up savings, and allow my wife to quit her job while she finishes school. Unfortunately, some of the things that looked very promising haven't turned out...at all. My friend had commercial pool "contacts," Those turned out to be people with little to no say and us having to do so much work to get them that I'll be out of money before we find out a yes or no.

04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
We actually give the first month half off and the second at 25% off. Every referral given gets them a free month. Unfortunately no phone numbers. It takes time to build up a route, I was able to see what did and didn't work while in Orlando, but it's a different dynamic down here.

i worked at the Gaylord Palms for a year and a half while I built my route up in Orlando and I don't mind working elsewhere again while I build up my route here, but I can't find anything. I sold my route there so we could move down here, build up savings, and allow my wife to quit her job while she finishes school. Unfortunately, some of the things that looked very promising haven't turned out...at all. My friend had commercial pool "contacts," Those turned out to be people with little to no say and us having to do so much work to get them that I'll be out of money before we find out a yes or no.
Damn, RT, I'm so sorry this didn't work out. I wish I had some suggestions to throw out here, but I'm at a loss for words.

The job market surely has suffered in several regions, and the ripple effect is touching many industries. Today, at the bank, we discussed how well-positioned we are going into the next 15 months, but also touched on how precarious the financial landscape will be for many other banking institutions. We could very well see a handful of bank closings and some dire economic circumstances.

I think you are doing the smart thing by returning to Orlando. Go where you have reliable contacts and some secondary income potential. And, above all, God bless you and yours, RT. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:

i am sorry. i know how much it sucks to try to find a job and you have no luck. I hope things turn around for you and your family.

Old
04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
i am sorry. i know how much it sucks to try to find a job and you have no luck. I hope things turn around for you and your family.
Speaking of which, I don't think I've shared this here yet, but my wife has had the worst luck working in WNC.

The 3rd funeral home she's worked for (since moving up here in the summer of '06) permanently closed it's doors a couple weeks ago.

At least she got 6 weeks' severance + 2 weeks' vacation, but it still sucks.

Old
04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Damn, RT, I'm so sorry this didn't work out. I wish I had some suggestions to throw out here, but I'm at a loss for words.

The job market surely has suffered in several regions, and the ripple effect is touching many industries. Today, at the bank, we discussed how well-positioned we are going into the next 15 months, but also touched on how precarious the financial landscape will be for many other banking institutions. We could very well see a handful of bank closings and some dire economic circumstances.

I think you are doing the smart thing by returning to Orlando. Go where you have reliable contacts and some secondary income potential. And, above all, God bless you and yours, RT. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks a lot Luis. I appreciate the reassurance about moving back. We're still going to give another week as there is a pool company out there who's said that they really like my qualifications (which, seeing as how I've got 10 years, owned my own company, and have a Certified Pool Operator certificate, I'd imagine so) and she'll get back to me. Problem is, in order for me to get hired, some other guy has be fired, he's supposedly not doing the job very well. That's the only thing out of like 30 calls and apps. filled out that looks decent.

I'm ready to go, but I'm staying for her. We still owe on the lease for 11 months, but I have a friend who's a Deputy here that will stay here for most of that. Or, my uncle has an apartment in his "barn" up there where we could stay for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Speaking of which, I don't think I've shared this here yet, but my wife has had the worst luck working in WNC.

The 3rd funeral home she's worked for (since moving up here in the summer of '06) permanently closed it's doors a couple weeks ago.

At least she got 6 weeks' severance + 2 weeks' vacation, but it still sucks.
Wow, the third? Unreal. I hope she can find something else soon. Sorry to hear that, too. It's just bad everywhere. It's like the 70's. Unpopular war, gas crisis, financialy woes. They came out of it, we will, too. History is doomed to repeat itself because noone ever learns from it.

Old
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Thanks HG. At least we'll be going bac to a fun place to live if we have to go. We thankfully don't "have" to go back to the middle of nowhere. We only came here due to the low cost of very nice houses, family, and some friends. Apparently, the houses are so cheap because the job market is so bad. The house we're renting is a 3/2 with a gret backyeard and is just over a year old that is going for $130,000. It's a beautiful house and we were thinking about buying it, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Once Michelle is done with school-and I get my company built back up-we'll be making very good money and can afford the Orlando houses without an issue. We just thought that maybe we could pay less for a still great house. Just not working.

Old
04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Speaking of all this, just saw this article on Sun-Sentinel:

Quote:
BankAtlantic, reeling from the housing slump and lingering credit crunch, laid off roughly 115 more employees last week, the Fort Lauderdale-based bank said Monday.

The layoffs come just 13 months after the region's largest independent bank shed 225 jobs.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...0,349556.story

Hope all this ends soon.

Old
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

RT - don't give up hope yet. Let me put my feelers out there and see if any of my clients are hiring. Do you have your resume posted anywhere? I can send you a PM if I hear of anyone. I'll start asking around tomorrow and let you know if I find anything.

Old
04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
RT - don't give up hope yet. Let me put my feelers out there and see if any of my clients are hiring. Do you have your resume posted anywhere? I can send you a PM if I hear of anyone. I'll start asking around tomorrow and let you know if I find anything.
Alright, cool. Thanks Lola. I don't have a resume' up anywhere, I don't even have one made, lol. I did have one years ago, but I've been self employed for awhile now. I'm not looking forward to a possible 40 hour a week job. I was only working 20 hours in Orlando, and was still doing really well. Looking forward to getting back to that.

Appreciate your help.

Old
04-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Wow, the third? Unreal. I hope she can find something else soon. Sorry to hear that, too. It's just bad everywhere. It's like the 70's. Unpopular war, gas crisis, financialy woes. They came out of it, we will, too. History is doomed to repeat itself because noone ever learns from it.
Well, the problem is history isn't really repeating itself, and in many ways we're both worse off and better off than the 70s at the same time.

The economy as a whole isn't struggling as much as it was in the 70s, but the impact on the lower income brackets is greater because - unlike the 70s - food and energy prices are both skyrocketing.

There's no immediate solution to the energy problem (at least, due to several factors I won't get into here because they're political in nature), but the food issue suggests there needs to be some serious effort to separate the food supply from the commodities market. There's no excuse for people starving to death just so some Wall Street broker to make an extra buck on the increased price of rice or corn. There's rumors floating around now of some of these guys hoarding food supplies so they can drive the price up higher before they sell, meanwhile there have been riots over excessively high food prices in half a dozen countries already - there are people in the third world now spending 90% of their income just to feed themselves Reactionaries are already talking about coming food shortages, but the fact is there shouldn't be any - we still pay our tax dollars to farmers in this country not to produce in order to keep prices up, yet at the same time people are making millions upon millions due to increased trade value of that food and people are starving because they can't get it. That's my definition a broken system.

Buuttt...our Congress is more interested in launching dozens of "investigations" into Bush administration activities across the board in a witchhunt to find anyone who's done anything wrong anywhere instead of trying to make real efforts to alleviate the country's problems. They passed an economic stimulus plan that does nothing more than return some of our tax dollars, but borrows the money to do it rather than cutting spending. And nothing in the plan is a long-term fix. Meanwhile they've done absolutely nothing of significance since passing that bill in January.

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-22-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old
04-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Speaking of all this, just saw this article on Sun-Sentinel:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...0,349556.story

Hope all this ends soon.
Yeah you should post your resume on monster and careerbulider.com. There is also one called sologig.com.

Florida and CA particularly will be hit hard by this market correction because they've had such major appreciation. When I got laid off by Nat City, I sold my stock options for $30. Yesterday Nat City's stock closed at $6 plus change.

Old
04-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Yeah you should post your resume on monster and careerbulider.com. There is also one called sologig.com.

Florida and CA particularly will be hit hard by this market correction because they've had such major appreciation. When I got laid off by Nat City, I sold my stock options for $30. Yesterday Nat City's stock closed at $6 plus change.
Vermont's lucky in that regard. Homes appreciated around 100-150% from 1990-2006. So far the slump has only resulted in a single-digit reduction in values. Some people are still getting peak prices for their homes as long as they're willing to wait as much as 6 months to sell them.

Hell, the condo I bought for $149,500 in 2003 will probably still fetch upward of $190,000 if I leave it on the market for 6 months. One of my neighbors sold theirs last month for $195k or so.

All those rich flatlanders moving into the state

Old
04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Well, the problem is history isn't really repeating itself, and in many ways we're both worse off and better off than the 70s at the same time.

The economy as a whole isn't struggling as much as it was in the 70s, but the impact on the lower income brackets is greater because - unlike the 70s - food and energy prices are both skyrocketing.

There's no immediate solution to the energy problem (at least, due to several factors I won't get into here because they're political in nature), but the food issue suggests there needs to be some serious effort to separate the food supply from the commodities market. There's no excuse for people starving to death just so some Wall Street broker to make an extra buck on the increased price of rice or corn. There's rumors floating around now of some of these guys hoarding food supplies so they can drive the price up higher before they sell, meanwhile there have been riots over excessively high food prices in half a dozen countries already - there are people in the third world now spending 90% of their income just to feed themselves Reactionaries are already talking about coming food shortages, but the fact is there shouldn't be any - we still pay our tax dollars to farmers in this country not to produce in order to keep prices up, yet at the same time people are making millions upon millions due to increased trade value of that food and people are starving because they can't get it. That's my definition a broken system.

Buuttt...our Congress is more interested in launching dozens of "investigations" into Bush administration activities across the board in a witchhunt to find anyone who's done anything wrong anywhere instead of trying to make real efforts to alleviate the country's problems. They passed an economic stimulus plan that does nothing more than return some of our tax dollars, but borrows the money to do it rather than cutting spending. And nothing in the plan is a long-term fix. Meanwhile they've done absolutely nothing of significance since passing that bill in January.
Poli-Sci majors FTW!

Old
04-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Poli-Sci majors FTW!
Yeah, but we political scientists don't make any money unless we have connections...so learn accounting while you can, Clint

By the way, what the hell does FTW mean?!?

Old
04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Yeah, but we political scientists don't make any money unless we have connections...so learn accounting while you can, Clint

By the way, what the hell does FTW mean?!?
For the win.

My best connection right now is the Aid to the Mayor of Tallahassee. She taught my Public Admin class a year or two ago and I aced it. I ran into her on campus a few weeks ago and asked for my resume. Woohoo!

Old
04-22-2008, 12:24 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

We should stop subsidizing farmers. We don't grow enough wheat etc in this country and we waste corn on Ethanol which is a huge lobbying scam. We should be producing sugar ethanol which is much more energy efficient to produce. We have too many farmers producing corn for corn ethanol because they make more money growing that than any other crop. We (the US) could make a huge impact on the food crisis.

As for a way to make money off this. An IPO came out today, symbol IPI. They make a fertilizer. - Rising demand for grain across the globe, driven largely by the growing needs of developing economies and the increasing use of biofuels, has led to soaring prices.

Farmers trying to boost yields are using more fertilizers, leading to tight global supply conditions for crop nutrients and bumper profits for fertilizer producers.

Old
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Acadmus

We'd be better off developing methanol technologies. Then we can start turning garbage into energy, like some military bases have done. There's already technology for cars that run on methanol and (mind you this is second hand info for me) it's far more efficient than ethanol.

But corn ethanol is an awful thing - even with gas prices what they are, the only thing that makes ethanol profitable is government subsidies. It costs more to produce it than it can be sold for currently. Meanwhile it produces almost no net energy, as it consumes almost as much energy to produce a gallon of ethanol as that gallon will yield. Then there's the fertilizer and water necessary for the corn crops, and the further impact of turning more farmland to corn production away from other foods. From the first I heard about ethanol I reasoned it was the stupidest thing I've ever heard of to use a foodsource as an energy source because it increased the price of the most important commodities we have: food. We die without it, and most people don't have access to the land to produce sufficient quantities of it themselves. The social contract demands that the producers continue to produce food at affordable levels, and if they don't - well, you see what's happened in poor countries like Haiti recently. Everything goes to hell if people can't afford to eat.

Worse yet, this issue isn't going down party lines - liberal environmentalists and farm state conservatives alike are supporting ethanol production and the subsidies that keep it alive. Two of the biggest and most powerful special interest groups in the nation. So it's nearly impossible to put an end to it.

Old
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
We'd be better off developing methanol technologies. Then we can start turning garbage into energy, like some military bases have done. There's already technology for cars that run on methanol and (mind you this is second hand info for me) it's far more efficient than ethanol.

But corn ethanol is an awful thing - even with gas prices what they are, the only thing that makes ethanol profitable is government subsidies. It costs more to produce it than it can be sold for currently. Meanwhile it produces almost no net energy, as it consumes almost as much energy to produce a gallon of ethanol as that gallon will yield. Then there's the fertilizer and water necessary for the corn crops, and the further impact of turning more farmland to corn production away from other foods. From the first I heard about ethanol I reasoned it was the stupidest thing I've ever heard of to use a foodsource as an energy source because it increased the price of the most important commodities we have: food. We die without it, and most people don't have access to the land to produce sufficient quantities of it themselves. The social contract demands that the producers continue to produce food at affordable levels, and if they don't - well, you see what's happened in poor countries like Haiti recently. Everything goes to hell if people can't afford to eat.

Worse yet, this issue isn't going down party lines - liberal environmentalists and farm state conservatives alike are supporting ethanol production and the subsidies that keep it alive. Two of the biggest and most powerful special interest groups in the nation. So it's nearly impossible to put an end to it.
The government and special interest do put this by the average joe who thinks its good because its an alternative fuel source. Brazil uses sugar cane ethanol which actually is beneficial. I think we can produce fuel from food but we should also look towards solar, wind etc.

Old
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
The government and special interest do put this by the average joe who thinks its good because its an alternative fuel source. Brazil uses sugar cane ethanol which actually is beneficial. I think we can produce fuel from food but we should also look towards solar, wind etc.
Solar is a good supporting source, but it isn't a good main source because electricity can't be efficiently stored on the scale power companies deal with. Wind is useful in some places, but ultimately you need a large number of huge turbines to collect the kinetic energy necessary to turn to electricity. But, again, it's only good in areas that get constant winds (like Mt. Washington in NH which gets hurricane strength winds year round). But if the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine, these power sources fail. Not to say they shouldn't be explored, but they're not a good solution.

The best solution is the one no one in the United States likes to hear about because they bought in to Jane Fonda in The China Syndrome: nuclear. It's the cleanest, longest lasting, and most powerful energy production method currently in existence, and there have only been a handful of catastrophic failures in history - Chernobyl being most notable - and they were due to extreme carelessness on several levels. But there have been none in the past 22 years. Europe makes much wider use of nuclear power than the U.S. and has no problems. France in fact gets 90% of its power from nuclear sources. The U.S. gets something like 15%, mostly from aging plants that will eventually have to be shut down. There are only something like 10 new nuclear projects currently awaiting approval from the NRC in the U.S. right now to build power plants. But it's something that really should be expanded - and it shouldn't make a difference for the "not in my backyard" crowd as there are plenty of wide open spaces in this country. The main issue for the plants would be security against attacks by activists and terrorists, and getting the planned Nevada facility up and running to handle waste. But the same folks that block oil exploration in the U.S. and the development of new refineries and the building of wind turbines are likewise blocking expansion of nuclear power.

I'm being deliberately vague in that last comment because this isn't the politics forum, so let's not fill in the blanks with further comments, please

Old
04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Solar is a good supporting source, but it isn't a good main source because electricity can't be efficiently stored on the scale power companies deal with. Wind is useful in some places, but ultimately you need a large number of huge turbines to collect the kinetic energy necessary to turn to electricity. But, again, it's only good in areas that get constant winds (like Mt. Washington in NH which gets hurricane strength winds year round). But if the wind doesn't blow or the sun doesn't shine, these power sources fail. Not to say they shouldn't be explored, but they're not a good solution.

The best solution is the one no one in the United States likes to hear about because they bought in to Jane Fonda in The China Syndrome: nuclear. It's the cleanest, longest lasting, and most powerful energy production method currently in existence, and there have only been a handful of catastrophic failures in history - Chernobyl being most notable - and they were due to extreme carelessness on several levels. But there have been none in the past 22 years. Europe makes much wider use of nuclear power than the U.S. and has no problems. France in fact gets 90% of its power from nuclear sources. The U.S. gets something like 15%, mostly from aging plants that will eventually have to be shut down. There are only something like 10 new nuclear projects currently awaiting approval from the NRC in the U.S. right now to build power plants. But it's something that really should be expanded - and it shouldn't make a difference for the "not in my backyard" crowd as there are plenty of wide open spaces in this country. The main issue for the plants would be security against attacks by activists and terrorists, and getting the planned Nevada facility up and running to handle waste. But the same folks that block oil exploration in the U.S. and the development of new refineries and the building of wind turbines are likewise blocking expansion of nuclear power.

I'm being deliberately vague in that last comment because this isn't the politics forum, so let's not fill in the blanks with further comments, please
I'm for Nuclear. I had stock in Areva which is the nuclear company that did the plants in France. 60 minutes did a story on it and they SELL the extra power they generate to neighboring countries. I think the problem is everyone, republicans and democrats don't want the plants in their backyard.

Where we get our energy, in my opinion is decided by the lobbyists and the special interest groups. There is way too much money to be made by Exxon to allow other sources of energy to threaten their bottom line.

Old
04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Wow. My poor experiences in the local job market opened up the political science floodgates. We turned into CNN.

I agree, and disagree, with a lot of what was said. Don't have time to post about it now.

I'm looking into a position with an aquatics company that takes care of local ponds and lakes. It doesn't pay as well as I can get within the pool industry, but it'll allow my wife to finish school and allow me to build up my company while living comfortably at least. Once she's done and my company's back up (be it here or in Orlando) we'll be doing really well. We're just at the starting point again, which isn't a whole lot of fun.

Old
04-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Wow. My poor experiences in the local job market opened up the political science floodgates. We turned into CNN.

I agree, and disagree, with a lot of what was said. Don't have time to post about it now.
What's to disagree - political scientists don't make money without contacts, I'm proof! I don't think we expressed any other opinions

Old
04-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
What's to disagree - political scientists don't make money without contacts, I'm proof! I don't think we expressed any other opinions
Well, just the nuclear and solar talk. We need to find a way to stop being so dependent on oil. Unfortunately, too many politicians have their hands in it.

Old
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

We were all in the store yesterday when I had to pass gas. I was pushing the cart with Ivy in the seat and Michelle was up the isle looking for something. We were surrounded by people and I was surprised by how much noise it made. I certainly didn't expect that. Those around us, several with kids themselves, turned wide-eyed towards me. Without flinching I looked at Ivy, looked back at them, and said, "sorry, she's been a bit gassy." They all laughed a bit, still a bit wide-eyed, looked at Ivy, and walked away.

It's fun being a dad!

Closed Thread