Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Updates on Ustrnul/Sprukts/Benoit/Sweatt

Old
01-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Pellegrino

vCash: 500
Updates on Ustrnul/Sprukts/Benoit/Sweatt

Hi guys,

It would be appreciate by me if I had some updates on the players below. I'm not really searching for stats, I'd be better if you could give me some of your expert opinions

Libor Ustrnul, czech stay at home defenseman, recently signed with HIFK. Libor was once considered as a pretty good prospect, but injuries have complicated his development.
Stats: Yet to play his first game for HIFK(?). Transfer confirmed only a couple of days ago.

Janis Sprukts, big latvian guy in Lukko,
Stats: 40, 10+16, 14pim

Lee Sweatt, a small but skilled defenceman in TPS.
Stats: 42, 15+14, 30pim

Andre Benoit, skilled defenceman, had close to a 0,5p avg in AHL last season... Plays for Tappara now...
Stats: 39, 9+18, 82pim
I hear rumours Benoit might head for the Canadiens' camp... He needs to improve his skating, that's what I think, has it improved in Finland?

It would also be nice to get opinions about Tim Stapleton, whom I've seen for Team USA this season but not Jokerit. He was on fire for Team USA and his stats indicates he has been in-form the entire season for his club as well.
Would you compare him to Steven Kariya?

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:50 AM
HalfOfFame*

lea swett is good offensively and on PP, but he is in trouble on his own zone, +/- proves it.

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 10:53 AM
JohnTavares91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Lee Sweatt, a small but skilled defenceman in TPS.
Stats: 42, 15+14, 30pim
Sweatt have been best player in TPS with Teemu Laine in this Season. He is the leader on goals on the TPS with Teemu Laine and also leaders in d-man of sm-league. Only minus come on that at he forget sometimes that he is d-man . There are strong rumours that Sweatt will be resing with TPS. He's wife(Lisa) are very loved to Finland and they just buy a puppy (Named Mikku).

JohnTavares91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Finnpin

Ustrnul will play his first game tomorrow against rival team Jokerit. Ustrnul vs Helenius maybe.

I remember when I first time saw Stapleton play (last year pre-season) you could see that he has skills but he was so easily pushed away from the puck and wasn't fit like the others. But when he got fit and games his play started to get better and was one of the team's most important forwards and has been this year too. I would say that he is the best foreign player in the league with Bros.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
Ustrnul vs Helenius maybe.

Ustrnul said he doesn't do "show fights" and I hope he's not lying. I haven't seen a fight from Helenius worth watching in years, except maybe that one time he schooled Schnabel, but that was kind of a "heat of the moment" kind of fight...

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 05:38 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Ustrnul said he doesn't do "show fights" and I hope he's not lying. I haven't seen a fight from Helenius worth watching in years, except maybe that one time he schooled Schnabel, but that was kind of a "heat of the moment" kind of fight...
"Show fight" and "heat of the moment fight". Imo it doesn't matter fight is a fight and it starts from the situations that is going on the ice. Maybe something that happend in the previous period or game if it's not heat of the moment. I'm sure these guys just don't fight for fun. For example Nielikäinen vs. Vandenbusche was about the actions Mielipuolikainen did in the previous game against Tomek Valtonen.

Old
01-24-2008, 05:50 AM
Kekkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOfFame View Post
lea swett is good offensively and on PP, but he is in trouble on his own zone, +/- proves it.
He's -10 in a defense where everyone who averages more than 12 minutes a game is at least -6. His ATOI is 23.18, nearly 3 minutes more than the second-best (Marko Kiprusoff). I'm not saying he's been great in his own end, but I don't think he's been disastrously bad either.

Kekkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeri View Post
For example Nielikäinen vs. Vandenbusche was about the actions Mielipuolikainen did in the previous game against Tomek Valtonen.
Was it? Because it looked like to me that Nielikäinen initiated the fight against Vandenbussche and he was looking at Shedden to see if he had the permission to fight or not...

I think the reason Jokerit got Vandenbussche might be the reason you just said, but it didn't look like he was fighting Nielikäinen out of revenge. More like Nielikäinen was fighting Vandenbussche to just get some more respect in that circle.

And if Ustrnul and Helenius fight today in their first shift or something, there's absolutely nothing that has happened that would justify it. If they fight because something happens, then it's different.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Was it? Because it looked like to me that Nielikäinen initiated the fight against Vandenbussche and he was looking at Shedden to see if he had the permission to fight or not...
Vandy said something to Pasi like you have to deal with me if you treat our players wrong. and he was quite surprised that Pasi then dropped his gloves right away.
Quote:
I think the reason Jokerit got Vandenbussche might be the reason you just said, but it didn't look like he was fighting Nielikäinen out of revenge. More like Nielikäinen was fighting Vandenbussche to just get some more respect in that circle.
I agree but imo we needed a tough guy anyway. When Vandy left we got Schnabel then.
Quote:
And if Ustrnul and Helenius fight today in their first shift or something, there's absolutely nothing that has happened that would justify it. If they fight because something happens, then it's different.
I agree that too. No bad blood with the two teams this year but things can be different after today's game

But sometimes a fight can be a mental "drug" and boost the team's game and a player might just look one. Helenius against Virtanen this year and Lostedt against Virtanen: Jokerit and Blues got their game better after the fight and won.

Old
01-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Finnpin

Helenius vs. Ustrnul happend 40s in the 1st period.

First reports say that it's edge Helenius or draw. But let's wait for the videos. Great tactics by Shedden

edit. imo draw, Ustrnul gets the first ones in and then Helenius delivers. But Jokerit wins that overall.
http://www.yle.fi/urheilu/24h/id96088.html

And again the zeebras came in too soon...Helenius was just getting warm

Last edited by Finnpin: 01-26-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old
01-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Pellegrino

I got to admit I'm pretty disappointed with that. I was looking forward to hear opinions about Ustrnul's first game, but obviously it's impossible to have an opinion about it since it lasted 40 seconds.

What about Janis Sprukts, how has his season been?

Old
01-28-2008, 12:06 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
What about Janis Sprukts, how has his season been?

He was fighting off an injury before the season so the start of the season was a bit slow. He is still a very good player, and has been very usefull for lukko. He had a contract till the end of the year, and they extended it to last the whole season. Hopefully for a few more seasons too. Sprukts has been one of the best players in lukko, and only getting better. He has suffered from some injuries during the season though. He is not in the kinda shape he was last time he played in Finland, but still very good.

His stats might get a bit better soon with the new scoring additions (Pasi Saarela, Justin Morrison). His usual linemate Petri Lammassaari has slowed down and is not scoring much anymore, so maybe those guys will make a difference. Mostly he is playing with Saarela and Mika Viinanen now.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
He was fighting off an injury before the season so the start of the season was a bit slow. He is still a very good player, and has been very usefull for lukko. He had a contract till the end of the year, and they extended it to last the whole season. Hopefully for a few more seasons too. Sprukts has been one of the best players in lukko, and only getting better. He has suffered from some injuries during the season though. He is not in the kinda shape he was last time he played in Finland, but still very good.

His stats might get a bit better soon with the new scoring additions (Pasi Saarela, Justin Morrison). His usual linemate Petri Lammassaari has slowed down and is not scoring much anymore, so maybe those guys will make a difference. Mostly he is playing with Saarela and Mika Viinanen now.
I've heard Sprukts is a real family man. Perhaps he can resist offers from SEL to stay in Finland (closer to Latvia)? That would be great for Lukko.

Any updates on Libor Ustrnul?

Old
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Perhaps he can resist offers from SEL to stay in Finland (closer to Latvia)?
Latvia seems to be at least at the same distance(if not closer) to southern part of Sweden than it's to Finland and as most of the SEL teams are situated in the southern/central part of Sweden, it can't be the reason to stay in Finland. I guess it's also a bit easier to travel between Sweden And Latvia? I think Sprukts is just so well adapted to Finland that Sweden isn't an option before Swedish teams offer better contract terms and as Sprukts hasn't shined really well production wise this season, I imagine Swedish teams won't give him that much attention? Of course it's possible that some Swedish GM has spotted him and will offer a good contract to him and he moves to SEL.

Map of Europe:http://www.infoplease.com/atlas/europe.html

Quote:
Any updates on Libor Ustrnul?
4gp 0g+1a=1p (+/-)=+1, 31mins of penalties and average time on ice a bit over 16mins. Overall he has played in a very physical manner.

Last edited by Tormentor: 02-06-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Pellegrino

"Very psysical manner", that sounds great. I can imagine Libor being a favorite among the HIFK fans. He's the kind of player you want and just love in your team, but hate when they are on the teams' roster.

I remember when he played for Chicago Wolves in AHL. His skating wasn't really good enough for NHL back then and he wasn't so good on the puck neither...

How good do you think Libor is compared to players such as Kristian Kudroc and Markus Kaankanperä? Has his skating imrproved (is it good enough in SM-Liiga?)?

Old
02-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
I can imagine Libor being a favorite among the HIFK fans. He's the kind of player you want and just love in your team, but hate when they are on the teams' roster.
He surely has received a lot of attention from the media and the fans.

Quote:
How good do you think Libor is compared to players such as Kristian Kudroc and Markus Kaankanperä? Has his skating imrproved (is it good enough in SM-Liiga?)?
My comment about him was based on some game reports as I have not yet seen him live, so it's probably best that I leave this question to someone else that has already seen him live.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Pellegrino

Any updates on Libor Ustrnul? I've heard he's been injured.

Old
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
ES

Sweatt is going to play in Austria next year, according to his girlfriend's blog. Sounds quite surprising, he could easily play in a lot better leagues, and he's still very young player.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Pellegrino

Benoit has signed with SEL club Södertälje. Interesting.

Anyone wants to summarize the season for the thread's players? I guess most of them don't have any more games left in Finland this season.

Old
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Sweatt is going to play in Austria next year, according to his girlfriend's blog. Sounds quite surprising, he could easily play in a lot better leagues, and he's still very young player.
Well, I guess Sweatt's wages will be higher in Austria than in Finland.

By the way, are there any rumours regarding Sprukt's future?